Three Rivers News, 2004-05-18
TUESDAY, MAY 18, 2004


P.A.W.S will be holding a HUGE!!! Book Fair, downstairs, at the Town Hall, at the same time.
Come and browse our HUGE selection of good, used books and magazines !! Nothing will be priced higher than $1.00, and there will be a great selection of kid’s books for 25-cents.   Grab a book to read while you enjoy your lunch. 
All proceeds from the book sale will benefit the P.A.W.S Building Fund.


Saturday, May 22, and Sunday, May 23,
 from 9 am to 4 pm
at The Quarry Pines apartments on Rte 11 in Brownville

5 Family Yard Sale!!
7th Annual-Largest One Yet!!

Saturday And Sunday,
May 29th And 30th
9 Am - 4 PM
Rte.16 In  LaGrange  At Marilyn Lyford’s

Too many things to list....
Lots and lots of good "junk"

Eat A Hot Dog To Help The Dogs…And Cats!

To wrap up their weeklong anniversary celebration, on Saturday, May 22, between 9 am and 2 PM, at the M.F.U. parking lot, in conjunction with Jordan’s’, Country Kitchen®, Frito Lay®’, and Best Yet®, the Milo Farmer’s Union is serving lunch and half of all proceeds will benefit the P.A.W.S. building fund.

For $1.50 you will get a Rice’s hot dog served on a Country Kitchen roll (which you can smother with Best Yet condiments), a bag of Frito Lay chips, and a can of BestYet soda.  Seventy-five cents from each sale will go to p.a.w.s..  There will also be anniversary cake.

The Milo Farmer’s Union is one of the biggest supporters of our local animal shelter and this is a great opportunity to show your support.  Stop in, have lunch, pick up some groceries and celebrate!!

JUNE 24 AND 25

If you have anything in good condition and no longer used, and you would like to donate it to the Kiwanis Auction, call one of the Kiwanians listed below.  They will arrange a time for pick up.

Joe Zamboni    943-2271
Eben DeWitt     943-2486
Todd Lyford     943-7733
Fred Trask       943-7746
Herb Dunham  943-2353
Joe Beres        943-2895

For more information call Joe Zamboni at 943-2271.  Proceeds from the auction fund the many projects of Kiwanis for children and our communities. 

Page 1

Page 2
   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, J.D.'s Emporium, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, The Restaurant, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    We have received many inquiries from readers as to how they can get the Three Rivers News delivered to their mailbox each week.  The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings




WED., MAY 19




FRI., MAY 21






The family of thais zamboni would like to thank everyone who sent cards, food, prayers or words of sympathy for our loss.  Losing a loved one is hard, good friends and family make it easier.

Brownville Trivia

Choose the best answer.
1. The Arbos were known for their (a) music (b) poetry (c) height (d) strength.
2. The Stickneys were have been known for their (a) music (b) poetry (c) height (d) strength.
3. The station in Brownville Junction was built in (a) 1946 (b) 1948 (c) 1950 (d) 1954.
4. (a) Tom Wallace (b) Tom Durant (c) Nelson Perry (d) Tom Lockhart was "sneaky fast".

5. Thunder Melanson was a (a) basketball referee (b) merchant (c) preacher (d) both (a) and (b)
6. In 1819 Brownville became a (a) city (b) plantation (c) town (d) county.
7. Brownville became a town in (a) 1824 (b) 1826 (c) 1834 (d) 1846.
8. Carlene Perry was Axel Carlson's (a) sister (b) daughter (c) granddaughter (d) niece.
9. She was State (a) accounting (b) spelling (c) free throw shooting (d) track champion.
10. Malcolm ? Buchanan (a) V (b) W (c) X (d) Y.

Answers: 1-b 2-a 3-d 4-c 5-d 6-b 7-a 8-c 9-b 10-a

Memories of a Brownville Junction Railroader (1958-1968)
by Bill Sawtell  Part 1

I'd like to share with the readers some of the most meaningful and happiest memories of my 57 year life, beginning with the year I entered the seventh grade in Brownville Junction and ending when BJHS closed a decade later when I was 13,000 miles away in Thailand.

By memories I mean basketball memories interspersed with baseball memories.

Much credit for the success of our school in both sports goes to Mr. Carroll Conley. But Mr. Conley (I still call him Mr. Conley today) needed horses. So let's begin with the horses.

The starters in 1958-1959 were Jack Brown, Bill Bellatty, Mike Knox, Jim Rosebush, and Sonny Cobb. The Number 6 man was Alan Lockhart. Among those on the bench were Jim and John Owens, a promising freshman.

Jack Brown was conceivably the best basketball player to don a Railroader uniform (but don't forget Denny Larson-they were both from Williamsburg.)

He was just a great rebounder and scorer-unstoppable underneath and could hit his free throws. He was the second in a family of four fine athletes, was named to the second team All State, and went on to UMaine, where he played basketball and football.

Bill Bellatty was a great right-handed and left-handed hook shot artist, as well as a great ball handler, perhaps the best ball handler for a high postman the school ever had. Bill was sick during the state championship game in Lewiston against Freeport. He has coached high school basketball in Los Angeles for several years helping develop a number of pros there.

Mike Knox played left wing on the one-three-one. A fine defensive player, Mike was a deadly shooter and was a leader from his position on the court. Mike went on to play for Colby.

The late Jim Rosebush was the point guard. Jim was a cool playmaker and a fine leader

The late Sonny Cobb was a dead shot from the right wing, winning a double overtime game against St. Martin's at Stearns and paired well with Rosebush in the backcourt, just as they did form a great double play combination in baseball. They knew each other's moves well.

Alan Lockhart came off the bench one cold night in January to be the hero of a double overtime game against Blue Hill at home.

Jim Owens was a good practice player.

John Owens came in during the last minute of the opening round ACI game and sank a long high arching bomb at the Auditorium.

The Railroaders lost only two game that year-both to Greenville. AS we students prepared to get on the bus for the tournament on the morning of opening day when the Railroaders were playing in the afternoon, we cheered when we heard that Bar Harbor had knocked off the Lakers!

The coast was clear!

Down went ACI. Down went Newport. Then Calais. Eastern Maine Champs!

A celebration at the Oronoka. On the bus we heard that the Celtics and the Minneapolis Lakers had set a new total scoring record (173-139-Celtics).

More to Come(Freeport at Lewiston)

Page 2

Page 3


The NOW people are to meet on Monday, at 7:00 PM at Park Street United Methodist Church. Don't forget the:

TAG SALE TO BE HELD ON May 29 from 9 to noon.

Items can be dropped off at Lew Dyer's at 14 Park Street. If you need someone to pick up items call Lew at 943-7785.


Anders Hamlin was recently honored at the University of Maine with membership into Phi Alpha Theta. "Phi Alpha Theta is an International Honor Society in History that recognizes those students who have demonstrated
superior ability in the study of History. Over 500 chapters of the Society are located on college and university campuses in North America, and in 1974 Phi Gamma Chapter was founded at the University of Maine." - Scott W. See, Professor and Chair.

Anders has a 3.99 GPA. He is in the ROTC program and was also honored recently by the Reserve Officers Association of the United States. "By this certificate be it known to all members and the citizenry of this nation that Anders C. Hamlin, in ROTC Studies at the University of Maine at Orono, has demonstrated outstanding competence in the arts and sciences of National Defense and is presented this award in grateful acknowledgement of meritorious contribution to the common good of the United States." - Jon L Spiegel, National Executive Director.

Anders in the son of Neil and Barb Hamlin of Milo.


The family of Wayne R. Wadman wishes to express their thanks and appreciation to the many friends and neighbors for their outpouring of love during our time of loss. The gifts of cards, food, flowers, friendship and acts of kindness are treasured and we will not forget your kindness. May God

Bless You All.
Honorene Richardson
Blanche Wadman
Ila Dean

The American Legion Post 41
West Main Street
Milo, Maine
Memorial Day Celebrations

Special Thank You Day for World War II Veterans and Post 41 members on Saturday, May 29, 2004
9:00 - 12:00 Noon

Memorial Day Parade and Open House
A Special Thank You to War on Terrorism Veterans
who are asked to join the parade and have lunch with Post 41 members after the parade.
Monday, May 31, 2004
10:00 am - 2:00 pm
The public is invited to watch the parade,
which begins at 11:00 am.
Please help us recognize several generations of veterans.
For additional information call the legion
at 943-2542.
Post Commander is Lee Leeman
Post Adjutant is Richard Graves
Post Service Officer is the undersigned:
Margaret A. Williams, 965-8120

Vagina Monologues Revisited

Join community members and participants from the 2003 and 2004 Vagina Monologues productions, Wednesday, May 19th, at 6:30 pm at the Cup and Easel on Main Street, Dover. We will come together informally to share our experiences and conversations inspired by this dramatic piece. Bring a friend, your partner, a neighbor, or sister...etc. We'll have the opportunity to purchase desserts, teas, smoothies and other refreshments at The Cup and Easel. For more information contact Jayne Lello at 564-0136.


Spring Programs
Stephanie Gillis has begun after school practices for a musical presentation on June 3. This program is called I'm, Alive and contains a number of songs and reminders about the dangers of smoking. The program was provided to schools in the state through funding from the Healthy Maine Partnership program, funded by the tobacco settlement. The performers will be third, fourth and fifth graders and some members of the Wellness Team.

From the classroom of:

Mrs. Barden - Our Terrific Kid has been working very hard for this honor. He has written every day in his journal. He has tried to use his reading strategies every time he gets stuck in reading. He has been a good friend and helped his teachers. We are happy to have SHAWN EMERY for our Terrific Kid.

Mrs. Mills - Our Terrific Kid has such a great smile that we love to see each day. Her work is super and her attitude is wonderful. She always has kind things to say about her classmates. We love that she is so willing to share all her neat things from home. She brought in a Native American headdress for us to see and a lot of other artifacts as well. Our days are so much better when she is here. Congratulations to you HANNAH GUTHRIE.

Mrs. Dunham - Our Terrific Kid is a boy who tries very hard with everything he does. He loves math activities and he can use some terrific strategies to solve some really tricky math problems. His classmates feel he makes a great table leader. He shows a very positive attitude toward school, friends, and teachers. My days would not be complete without my morning smile and wave when he waits for the bus. Congratulations to CODY JOHNDRO.

Mrs. Gillis –

About our new boy Ben I could write a book,
He's fit in nicely all the way from Westbrook,
About electronics and cars he knows a lot,
In the act of READING he's been caught!
Congratulations, BEN O'BRIEN!

Mrs. Dell'olio - Our Terrific Kid has 2 little brothers, and she is a wonderful role model for them and for her classmates. She is respectful, kind, and hard working. Her handwriting is excellent, and she has made great strides in math, and reading. She is a great friend to all, and we enjoy seeing her smiling face every morning. This week our Terrific Kid is CAITLIN GARLAND!

Mrs. Hayes - We have three terrific boys standing in line this week. We applaud DYLAN LALIME for his great improvement in reading and writing. He is making an amazing effort each day and he bugs us all the time for new books. Way to go Dylan!

Page 3

Page 4

Next in line is LOGAN ROBINSON. Logan is a kind
and caring friend. He is thoughtful of others and polite to his teachers.Thanks for the great attitude Logan.

We are thrilled to announce the wonderful change in our DEVON GERRISH. Devon is a great reader and he is
a science whiz. He has been very helpful in reviewing the classroom and recess rules with his friends. WOW, are we proud of you. Thanks boys for supporting our school with good attitudes and good work.

Mrs.Tardiff and Mrs. Hussey - SUMMER WETTENGEL - Summer has made improvements in reading and writing. She is a great friend and classmate. Her smile is as sunny as her beautiful red hair. We love having Summer in our class.

DEVON STROUT- Devon has a wonderful sense of humor. He often has us all in gales of laughter. We 're sure he will make a great big brother. He follows the "I Care " rules and is a good friend. He has become a very good reader this year. Congratulations, Devon!

Mrs. Walker and Mrs. Carey - Our first Terrific Kid is a little girl who has grown very dear to us this year. She smiles and the world smiles with her! She has made friends with her school family and is always ready to give hugs to Mrs. Beres, Mrs. Keith, Miss Cindy, Roberta. and Paul. We are very proud of the progress she has made this year. We've loved our days with TIFFANY YOUNG.

Our second Terrific Kid is a little guy we can all be proud of. He had quite a serious accident two weekends ago and ended up in the emergency room of the hospital. Fortunately, he was able to come back to school after a few days but he did have a very sore mouth. Would you believe he never complained - or whined-once? We think he's mighty tough! He also has grown very dear to us this year. We have loved our days with this terrific guy - BEN MORRILL.

Mrs. Whitney - Our Terrific Kid has just returned from an extended absence. He started again in fifth grade on Tuesday. It is just like he never left. He has a great attitude in the class and in the hall. Great job and welcome back, JESSE WITHAM!


Brownville Elementary Does It Again!
Brownville Elementary has been named Small Site State Champion of Read With Me: The 2004 RIF Community Reading Challenge, presented by MetLife Foundation. This is the second consecutive year that Brownville Elementary has received this award. The students, parents, community, and staff will hold a special Awards Ceremony on Friday, May 21st at 12:45 in
the Brownville Elementary gymnasium. All parents, volunteers, and community members are welcome to attend. If you have questions or would like additional information, contact Linda Lumbra at 965-8184.


Kelsey Ottmann gets ready for the pitch from Erica Lyford. The Penquis Valley Jr. High girl’s team played Howland on Thursday and came away with a 19-14 win. Great job girls.......keep up the good work.

Junior High Boys baseball team. Members of the team include: front row Corey Herbest, Dustin Lancaster, Mike Lawson, Noah Bissell, Logan Greenlaw and Kiel Larson. back row are Robbie Pellitier, Ryan Beard, Brad Brown, Lee Dolley, Asa Sproul, Dillon Lyford, Ryan Bailey, Kyle Gerow, Steven Morse, Luke Knapp, Mike Dilly, Cody Andrews, Bruce  Benoit, Brian Zwicker and coach Jim Carter


Mr. Walker welcomed everyone to our May 14 assembly. Mr. Walker and Mrs. Zelkan awarded Terrific Kid certificates to RYAN ELYAR, MICHELLE BAKER and CAROLYN BESS.

Mrs. Farrar reported that Ryan is an extremely hard worker. He has a great attitude. Ryan always has a smile on his face. Mrs. Carter said that Michelle is always terrific. She has worked very hard on assessment this week. She has made outstanding number sentences in math class. Miss K. praised Carolyn for fitting in to our school so well. Carolyn has learned our routine and works hard every day.

Terrific kids on the bus were Dakota Knowlton, Hannah Bess and Lillis Noke.

We celebrated the birthdays of Alyssa Gray (12), Tyler Tibbets (9), Mr. Walker (?), and Mrs. Harmony. The students were able to practice counting by 5's for the adult birthdays.

Move and Improve prizewinners were Isaiah Bess, Rebecca Pierce, Carolyn Bess, Rachael Baker and Mrs. Zelkan. Laura Gray and Zach Blakeman recited a poem they had written, "Some Things Go Together."

Page 4

Page 5

Mrs. Carter was awarded Terrific Teacher by Justin M, Lillis and Rosie. Mrs. Andrews was awarded Super Substitute Teacher by Michelle Baker. We are very proud of all our Terrific Kids.

Troop Leader Jenn Baker and several parents took six girl scouts to Boston last week. They stayed in the Science Museum. Jenn said that members of her troop were the best behaved girl scouts in Boston. She is very proud of  Rachael, Rebecca, Michelle, Taylor, Mackenzie and Morgan.

Rosie Theriault and Carolyn Bess show their chimpanzee forelimb models.


Justin Ottmann and Alyssa Gray showing the chimpanzee forelimb clay models that they made in Science class.


Yes, the season has already started. The first race of the season was held at the new track called Valley Motorsports Park down to Norridgewalk. Racers from this area included Dustin Bishop and Luke Landry who raced in the 125 Novice class. Justin Morrill and Kole Stevens who raced in the 125 Youth class. Kyle Foss raced in the 85B and 105 Open class. Justin Artus raced in the 85C class. Trevor Lyford raced in the ATV youth class and 50cc 7-9 class. First time racing was Charles Artus who raced in the ATV youth and brought home his first trophy, finishing in 5th place for the day. Good job Charles.

Pictured on previous page is Kole Stevens and Justin Morrill getting ready for the start of their race. Unfortunately Justin never finished the race, he took a bad flip and then was struck by another rider and ended up going by ambulance to the hospital with a dislocated hip. Justin came home that night......but his baseball and racing season I'm afraid are over for this summer. Our best wished go out to Justin for a speedy recovery.

Trevor Lyford and Charles Artus are lined up and ready to race.

Trevor is on the far right and Charles is right next to him.

Kyle Foss is in this pack somewhere......Valley Motorsports track is 1 1/2 miles long.....and everyone seemed to like the new track.

Pictured is Justin Morrill right before he flipped........ sending him to the hospital with a dislocated hip.

The Milo District Schools
By Lloyd J. Treworgy
Continued Part VIII

In the preceding paragraphs I have alluded to the five teachers still living in Milo who once taught in the district schools.  They were Mrs. Agnes Sawyer of Clinton St., Mrs. Alice Chase of Spring St., Mrs. Helen Livermore of Park St., Mrs. Eva Scripture of Albert St., and Mrs. Martha Gould of Charles St.

During the course of my conversations with them, I asked each, at a separate time, what, in her opinion, contributed most to make the district schools successful.

Each of the five, speaking independently and without knowing what the others had said, put the disciplined pupil first in the items necessary for successful teaching.  A close second was the dedicated teacher.

The most effective teaching tool, I gathered, from the totality of their statements, was “drill, drill, drill!” until the new words were sounded out clearly and correctly; until the multiplication tables became second nature to the pupil.

“We may not have had things to work with,” said Mrs. Eva Scripture, “but we had drill, so that at the end of the year we could tell whether a pupil was ready to go on.  In those days we had, sometimes, fifty pupils in the classroom.  We knew what was required.  We knew what we had to do and we did it.”

These veteran teachers shook their heads slowly when I reminded them that today an instructor may not touch a pupil to inflict punishment for infractions.

“Do you think this prohibition is wrong?” I asked.

“Of course it is wrong!” was the answer.

The story’s momentary swelling on the sternness of discipline is not meant to portray district schoolteachers as tigresses or witches.  They weren’t sadistic; they didn’t punish because they loved to inflict pain.  They were hired to do a job—to introduce young minds, in a meaningful way, to the tools of learning.  To achieve their goal they were conscientious in trying to discourage whatever stood in its way.

Now, practice necessary to gaining proficiency with these tools of learning is sometimes dull and prosaic, even to the keenest and most zealous learners.  And to those who love the physical acquirements gained from free roving, fishing, fighting, and sports, the burden of learning to read, write and figure can be intolerable.  In the main, kids don’t wish—never DID wish—to be “lifted to a higher lever”, out of any natural inclinations.  It would be more pleasant to continue in the irresponsibility of childhood, perhaps knowing how to tell time, to lace one’s shoes, to look up TV programs—things that bring the fewest “don’ts of correction.”

Page 5

Page 6

Dutiful learners, however, will accept the challenge, and apply themselves, in the interest of a future satisfaction—however unpleasant the process of being “lifted” may be at the time of self-discipline.  The irreconcilable ones, however, the physical buffs, will put up a resistance to the boredom of it all.  They do it now; they did it then.  They resisted regardless of the degree of their native intelligence—which was, no doubt, often high.

It was these foot-draggers, manifesting their scorn for learning by whispering, sneezing with undue loudness, humming with the similitude of innocence, dipping girl’s hair into the ink-well, talking aloud when the teacher wasn’t looking (or they thought she wasn’t)—it was these apathetic ones, ignorant and planning to remain so, who bore the brunt of disciplinary chastisement.  For teacher was no fool.  She knew very quickly who wanted and who didn’t want to learn.

No doubt it was the imposition of disciplinary punishment that fixed the symbol of “sourpuss” to the district schoolteacher.  And it was the unwilling but potentially capable learners who gave this symbol currency.

The imposition of discipline, however, varied with the degree of pupil infraction.  The weight of the chastising hand was heavy only as the offense militated against the learning process the teacher was hired to carry forward.

Light offenses were passed over when the offense was corrected.

A Historical Review

Manual Training Taught by Milo Man for 25 Years Helps Many Youths - Character is Built in Shop
Bangor Sunday Commercial, February 18, 1951 (Submitted by C.K. Ellison, 2004)

Milo - "I've been serving as manual training instructor at Milo for more than 25 years, and I like the work more now than ever before."

Those were the sincere words of Melvin B. Kittredge, who for the past quarter century has been teaching shop work to boys at Milo High School. Mr. Kittredge has devoted the better part of his life to familiarizing boys with a useful craft, showing them how to make things with their hands.

"Most of the boys who take shop work," says Mr. Kittredge, "will eventually be making their living and supporting their families by working with their hands. during the three years they can take shop, I try to give them the fundamentals in woodworking and metal working. Something that will be useful to them regardless of what they may do in later life."

But Mr. Kittredge's working with boys does not stop with woodworking. He gives as much attention to developing a boy's character as he does to teaching him the proper method of welding a paint brush.

For many years he was scoutmaster in Milo and also served at Camp Roosevelt during the summer months.
The influence he has exerted on these youths has shown up many times after the boys have graduated. It is not at all unusual for one of them to come up to him with thanks for what his teachings and counseling have meant to him. These are the times when Mr. Kittredge realizes what an important job he is doing, and as he says, makes him like it now more than ever.

Oddly enough, despite the fact the Mr. Kittredge has given his job far more than the actual work required in the classroom, it was by accident that he became manual training teacher. A native of Milo, he had just returned home from a winter in Florida, that 25 odd years ago. Even then his livelihood came from working with wood, and he was asked if he would fill out the remainder of the school year, about three months, as shop instructor. It seems that the regular shop teacher left unexpectedly with the approaching of spring. In those three short months, Mr. Kittredge took an immediate liking to the work, and instead of going back to his previous job, decided to take summer courses in manual training and stay on as a teacher.

The next few summers were spent at Harvard University and at the University of Maine, and finally he felt himself qualified as an instructor. When he first took up teaching, there were no power tools in the Milo High shop. With all operations powered by hand or foot. As the years went by, however, he had many new machines

added, until today the shop is well equipped with ten power tools, a forge room, and finishing room. His three-year course is offered to all boys in the school as an elective subject, and more than 75 are now enrolled in his classes.

With Piscataquis County famed as a wood working area, it is only natural that emphasis in the shop should be placed on wood. The boys are given a diversified course in wood working being familiarized with all phases. They are taught how to build small items of home furniture and how to repair household items. The students build things for themselves as part of the course doing all the work, from selecting the wood to applying paint in the finishing shop.

Just recently the school purchased a metal lathe, so that the boys could learn how to make some of the more common and simple metal products. During the spring months, the boys take up boat building, and as many as 10 or 12 flat bottom boats will be constructed. These are sold by the school, with the money used to help finance other shop projects.

Now teaching children of boys he had previously taught in his shop classes, Mr. Kittredge has many fond memories to look back upon. He also looks to the future, and the possibility of helping even more boys in their start in life.


A good friend, Elwood Brackett, was the fire lookout on Ragged Mountain.  It was a spring, summer, and fall job, which he had held for a number of years.  He was quite old when I first knew him.  He and his wife lived on the west side of D’Este Street in Milo.  Elwood and his father had run a store across the street from Harmon’s Texaco station.  Elwood gave up the store in the late 30’s and worked for the state and  for the American Thread Company.

My wife Althea and I were married in 1940.  During the summer of 1941,  Elwood invited us to hike up and visit him on the mountain.  In those days a passenger train would let you off anywhere you wanted to stop and pick you up when flagged down.  We told Elwood we would like to come for a visit and would arrive June 28, weather permitting.

Before leaving, I called Elwood’s wife to see if I could take anything up to him.  I knew he had to carry everything up on his back.  She said he had just been down and had everything he needed.  I tried to think of something he would like, and knowing he liked a drink once in a while, I decided to take three quarts of beer.  Althea and I had good pack baskets.  We put extra clothes in hers;  I took food for us and the beer for Elwood.

We boarded the train at 8:00 a.m. in Milo. Milo had a station then and a full-time station agent.  The engineer knew where to stop for Elwood, so knew where to drop us off.  We found the trail without trouble, and shouldering our packs, we headed out.  We hadn’t gone far before I stopped and got out my hunting knife to cut each of us a good walking stick.  They help in the woods.  The trail was gradually uphill for a mile or so, and then started up the mountain.  One thing I remember about the trail was the size of the rock maple trees.  Two and three-foot trees were everywhere.  We were young and tough then, so took the mountain trail in stride, although there were a few places where a push or a pull helped some.

We stopped to rest quite often.  We didn’t see any deer or moose, but saw lots of birds and squirrels.  It was a nice hike and we enjoyed it.  The trail hit the cleared land on the south end of the top of the mountain, and when we stepped out of the woods, we could see the cabin only five minutes away.  The top area of the mountain around the camp and fire tower had been cleared of trees and blueberries were everywhere.  Elwood said he had seen several bears feeding on the blueberries.

Elwood had been watching for us and yelled down from the tower.  “Come up when you’re ready!”   We didn’t bother to unload our packs, and after having a drink of cold water and a cookie, we headed up the hill toward the tower.  We stopped several times to look at the view that was slowly coming into sight.  

The steps and the frame of the tower were good solid steel; the glassed-in room at the top was wood.  The sliding  windows were
Page 6

Page 7

clean, as was the whole interior.  There were four chairs, a stool, a telephone, a radio, and the “alidade.”  This instrument was a map with a movable arrow attached to the center.  If a fire was spotted, the warden moved the point to where it covered the fire, and then phoned in the location.

The view from the tower was breathtaking.  To the north were the twin lakes and all the other lakes in the Millinocket area.  We could see a boat with a tow of pulpwood  slowly moving toward the end of one of the lakes.  From a distance the wood was in the shape of a teardrop held together by boom logs, which were in turn held together by boom chains.  Earlier boom logs were held together by throughrow shots, yellow birch pins with a knob on one end.  They were about four feet long and three inches in diameter.  The other end had a one-inch hole where a pin was driven.  They worked OK, but the chains were better.

Elwood had made sandwiches for lunch and we had brought three cans of soda,  and we sat there enjoying our lunch in the midst of as pretty scenery as anyone can find.  We enjoyed the rest of the afternoon learning the names of   the lakes and mountains that we could see.  He told us that beauty was one thing he had, and one of the others things was the need to repair the phone lines that moose got tangled in and broke.  I guess that is part of nature’s balance.

About four o’clock we headed down to the camp.  The original camp was made of logs;  a kitchen had been added later on the east end.  It had a flat, sloping shed roof.  The sink was on the low side with a screened window above it  A table and chairs sat in the middle of the room.  The log area had two sets of double bunks.  A nice spring of water close by made the camp a real comfortable place to live.

Elwood told us that one day of the past week he had been in bed about an hour when he heard a noise in the kitchen.  He reached into the drawer beside the bed, got his .380 automatic pistol, and slipped out of bed.  He said that no matter how dark the night, he could always see the skyline in the window over the sink.  That time he looked out, but couldn’t see anything.  He realized that a big bear was standing in front of the window with his front paws on the edge of the roof.  He fired five shots through the screen and heard a roar, and then he could see the skyline.  The next morning he saw the bear down over the side of the mountain.  “That’s right where I wanted him,” he said.

After supper we sat around the table with a lamp in the center.  We talked for an hour; then, without a word, Elwood got up, opened a cupboard door, and brought out three glasses.  He turned, bent over,  lifted a small door in the floor, and brought out a bottle of beer.  He set the bottle on the table, turned and got an opener from a drawer, then sat down at the table.  This was all done without a word spoken and with a ceremonial touch.  He picked up the bottle and lifted the cap a little.  he went around that cap four times and finally lifted it off.  He picked up Althea’s glass,  tilted it almost level, and started to pour the beer.  This was done slowly so that hardly a bubble showed in the glass.  He then filled mine and his own.  He put the bottle on the table, held his glass toward the lighted lamp,  turned it slowly twice, smacked his lips, and said, “I love it.”  Then he took a long swallow.  It was a very quiet time!

Nothing more was said until we had all finished our drink.  Then he looked at us and said, “Thanks.”

The next morning we picked some blueberries to take home, and after lunch and one more trip to the tower we headed back to camp.  We had thanked Elwood for his generosity and wished him well.  We stopped and turned as we got to the trailhead and waved to Elwood.  We shouldered our packs and headed down the trail.  The train would be at the flag about 1:30 p.m.  We got there a few minutes early and the train was a few minutes late.  I heard it coming, stepped out, and waved my handkerchief.  The engineer blew the whistle twice to tell us he had seen us.  The passenger car came to a stop and we climbed aboard headed for home.  I can still hear the conductor holler “All aboard!”

This is a simple story, but it brings back a lot of memories of old-fashioned times and trains that would stop for you, and fire towers now obsolete.  I hope you enjoyed it.

The Old Whittler

Milo Free Public Library News
By Judith Macdougall

It was lovely, practically a summer day, this last Wednesday when the Kiwanis Kids arrived at the library. Many were wearing shorts. The temperature was in the high 70’s. There were 28 children who walked down from the elementary school with Frank Cochrane and Val Robertson who was accompanied by her dog, Bandit. Bandit was to be a guest at the library but he does not like stairs and refused to go down to where the Kiwanis Kids meet. Val thinks this dislike of stairs has something to do with the abuse he suffered before she rescued him.

The refreshments again were vegetables and fruit-baby carrots, cucumbers, grapes, strawberries and cantaloupe. As the children nibbled on their refreshments, they listened to Duck for President by Doreen Cronin. Val reminded the children that this was an election year. The story was about Duck who got tired of working on the farm and decided to be president but found that was a lot of work too. The craft was stringing bead bracelets, and everyone had a good time with help from Val, Frank, Elder Aaron Scoll, Elder Eric Fillmore, an interested mother, Jennifer Frost and youth helpers Meghan McGuinness, Jamie Perkins, Randi Smith and Ashley Stanhope. There was one helper whose name I did not get, and I am sorry. Perhaps she could tell me next time, and I can mention it in the next column.

As the “Kids” came upstairs to look for books, they were met by a small patron who was very excited to see “big kids”. She happily shouted “HI” to every boy and girl who entered the children’s area. Many of the children greeted her in response and eagerly showed her their new colorful bead bracelets. It was such fun to see the interaction between the little tot and the older children.

This week Ruth Clark donated several more craft books to us from her collection. Several of these were quilting books, a very welcome addition.


Neil Hamlin also donated a book this week, AVA’S MAN by Rick Bragg. We received HAUNTED HOUSES by Edrick Thay, sent to us by Lone Pine Publishing.

Two backordered books arrive this week too.
Sandford, John       HIDDEN PREY



Our summer hours schedule will begin
Friday, May 28.

Library Summer Hours

Library Winter Hours
Saturday 2:00-4:00

Telephone 943-2612

Page 7

Page 8

Traditions of a Milo-ite
by Kathy Witham

The Red Hat Society chapter Chic In Red of Milo Maine is alive and kicking. Prepare yourselves to have sightings of chic members soon. If you want in on the fun....remember to give me a call. I carry my portfolio with me most of the time and I have information ready to give out when asked.

My cousins and I spent last weekend celebrating our spring birthdays with wonderful meals, many laughs, and presents. We definitely revert to childhood when it comes time to open the gifts. One or the other of us passes them out, and then we open and ooh and aah over each gift. This year my gifts were loads of fun to open. I got a purple boa to throw over my shoulder when I'm dressed in full regalia with my friends in the Society. I also got a beautiful purple, lace, shawl which I'll alternate with the boa. Joan found the sweetest red hat pins that she couldn't resist for both Gail and I. She also found a sweet bracelet and earrings set for each of us. Gail and Nancy chipped in on the shawl and the boa and also found a sweet decorative tapestry pillow that says "I'm a Red Hat Mama!"

Gail and Nancy (who wasn't able to join us this year) gave Joan a wonderfully unique gift that we all loved. It was a Friend and Family plate....filled with homemade molasses cookies. The idea of the plate is to keep passing it along to friends and family filled with something homemade and delicious. Joan wasn't thrilled about the idea of ever having to give the plate up....but we convinced her that she must. We settled on a compromise...we'd only pass it between the four of us when we get together for special occasions. (That worked for me...especially since I was eventually going to get the plate...filled with a tasty treat...and I didn't have to count it as a gift this time around!)

We began our shopping trip on Saturday at the Bon Ton Shop at the Concord Mall. I found some sweet clothes there, and as we meandered around that mall poking our noses into one store after another, I managed to find a new pocketbook, and a pair of Teva's that I couldn't live without. Cousin Gail is usually the epitome of self control....but not last Saturday. She was totally out of control! Limping along on a sprained ankle, she made her way deliberately and effectively from one good bargain to another; finally screaming, "Somebody stop me!" A trip into Linens and Things was my undoing. Well....I needed a new tablecloth and napkins, for heaven's sake.

That evening we drove down to Manchester to Piccola's Italia Risterante. That's where the big story of the weekend took place. Our reservations weren't until 8:00 p.m. and so having parked a few blocks away we made our way down the main streets of Manchester at dusk. The pretty street lights were all on....the Palace Theater was all lit up inviting patrons to come in and see "Crazy For You." There are nice little trees lining their streets and in New Hampshire everything is totally blossomed....even the apple trees. It was very festive and I was thrilled to be there. The little restaurant is run by a family from the old country....with Italian accents. And Italian decor all around....grapes hanging from was delightful.

The tables were very close together, dressed in white linens and lovely heavy silver. We picked bruchetta and stuffed portabellas for appetizers. My meal was the chicken special for the night...stuffed with spinach and ricotta (and something else that I can't remember) with a wonderful sauce. The pasta was penne with a marinara sauce.

Our table was set for six with the husbands and wives sitting across from each other. To my immediate left was a young couple whose table was not even two feet away from us.

She was sitting on the same side that we girls were on and her companion sat on the same side of the table as our men.

The young couple were served relatively quickly....both their appetizer and their meal. They decided on an after dinner drink instead of a dessert. (I was taking this all in while trying to keep up with the raucous laughter and chatter at our own table.) All of a sudden at my left side....kneeling on the floor and brushing up against my leg and side, but turned so as to be facing the girl....was the guy! I got the picture real quickly that we were going to be a part of one of the most memorable events in their lives. HE WAS PROPOSING!!! He had a unique little white ring box that, when he lifted the lid, lit up. What will they think of next?

I went nuts trying to get at my camera before the moment passed. My cousins were yelling, "Well, what did she say?" She leaned forward and with a sweet smile on her lips said, "She said yes." We clapped and cheered and introduced ourselves to them. Then everyone in the restaurant made their way to the young couples table to congratulate them and wish them well. It was so much fun! What a memorable night they made for us....and I like to think we made for them.

Sunday morning our hostess was up early setting a beautiful Mother's Day table. I was in charge of breakfast and fixed this absolutely wonderful new dish. It wasn't a bit hard to do....and what a treat it was. Served with bacon or sausage and some fresh've got a winner.

You must plan ahead as this has to be put together the night before and kept in the refrigerator overnight.

French Toast with Macadamia Nuts

1 - 1 lb. loaf of French bread cut into 1" slices
4 eggs
1/4 cup sugar
2/3 cup orange juice
1/3 cup milk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 cup macadamia nuts (chopped coarsely)
1/2 stick of butter or margarine (The recipe called for a stick of butter, but I halved that and it was fine.

Slice the bread in 1" slices and arrange in a 9X13 pan. Whisk the eggs, sugar, juice, milk, vanilla and the nutmeg. Slowly pour the mixture over the pieces of bread...cover with saran wrap and put in the refrigerator overnight...or at least 8 hours. To bake, melt the butter in a 15X10 baking pan (like a cookie sheet with sides) sprinkle with the chopped macadamia nuts and bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes. Serve with syrup....we used maple syrup. The other thing I wanted to tell you about this recipe is this: instead of adding the nutmeg to the egg mixture, I waited until I got ready to bake it and when I sprinkled on the macadamia nuts....I also grated fresh nutmeg right onto each slice. I also think that pecans or walnuts might be good instead of the macadamia nuts....but the macadamia nuts were wonderful!!

Page 8

Page 9


CLIFTON - Frederic Charles Roy Sr., 56, died May 12, 2004, at a Bangor hospital surrounded by his loving family and friends. He was born March 27, 1948, in Milo, the son of Robert and Winnifred (Dow) Roy. Rick served his country in the U.S. Navy during the Vietnam War. He was employed by Thomas O'Connor and Airline Farms. He was a member of the Civil Air Patrol, American Legion and the Harley Davidson Owners Group. He loved flying his own plane. Survivors include his loving wife, Ruth (Pinkham) Roy of Clifton; a son, Frederic C. Roy Jr. and companion, Yvonne, of Augusta; daughters, Sara Richartz and husband, Woody, of Virginia Beach, Va., Sandra Erma Smullen and husband, Matthew, of Clifton, Megan Roy of Clifton; four grandchildren, Madison Richartz, Zachary Smullen, Darcy and Sabrina Wilkins; three brothers, Philip Roy and wife, Sandra, of Palm Springs, Calif., Anthony Roy of Eddington, James Roy of Holden; many nieces, nephews, cousins and life-long friends including a very special and close friend, Red Hodgins. He was predeceased by two brothers, Robert Joseph and Robert Michael Roy

KINGFIELD - Wallace Harris "Wally" Cunningham, 83, died Sunday, May 9, 2004, at Franklin Memorial Hospital in Farmington. He was born Oct. 3, 1920, in Brownville Junction, the youngest of six children of William and Lyda (Wishart) Cunningham. He graduated in 1939 from Brownville Junction High School. He was a prominent athlete who played basketball, football and baseball. He graduated in 1942, from Farmington Normal School (later the University of Maine at Farmington), and received his BS degree in 1954 in education. While at college, Wally excelled in basketball, cross-country and baseball. He started his teaching career in Kingfield in 1942. He also coached several sports. Wally married Patricia Stevens of Portland, also a teacher and a graduate of Farmington Normal School in 1944. He taught at Skowhegan Junior High School from 1943 to 1957. He coached several sports and taught science. He began teaching science at Maine Central Institute in Pittsfield in 1957, and continued there until he retired in 1977 with 35 years of teaching. At MCI, he started the Outing Club, coached basketball, and taught students to hunt, fish, mountain climb, camp, fly fish and trap shoot. His students, now gray haired with grandchildren, still stop him to chat. He was a beloved teacher. He was an outdoorsman in every sense, spending every season outside hunting and fishing. He was a registered Maine Guide, ran Wally's Sport Shop out of his house for three years, and built and ran Wilderness Point Camps with his wife and son at Ebeemee Lake for 10 summers. After his retirement, he spent many winters in Florida, and particularly enjoyed the annual Pittsfield reunions in DeSoto Park. He also enjoyed oil painting, wood working, golfing, pine furniture making, wooden boat building, reading, gardening and traveling. He was a member of Clan Cunningham USA, an organization dedicated to tracing Cunningham ancestors in Scotland, and enjoyed attending Scottish games. He was a current member of the Kingfield Historical Association, the oldest member of the Mt. Abrams Masonic Lodge, and a former member of Eastern Star and Anah Temple Shrine. In the Masonic Lodge, he earned his 50-year pin and stars. He attended the Methodist Church in Kingfield. He is survived by his wife of 60 years, Patricia Stevens Cunningham; one son, William Cunningham, DMD and his wife, Karen, of Pittsfield; one grandson, Alexander G. Cunningham of Pittsfield; one brother, Elmer Cunningham of Milo; and many nieces and nephews. He was very proud of his grandson's accomplishments, which include being valedictorian of the MCI Class of 2004, and participating in music, academics and sports. In lieu of flowers, donations in his memory may be made to Maine Central Institute, Attn: Carolyn Smith, 125 South Main St., Pittsfield, ME 04967.

In Loving Memory Of EUGENE "SONNY" CARON Sept. 16, 1940 - May 13, 2003 God saw you getting tired and a cure was not to be, so he put his arms around you and whispered come with me. With tearful eyes we watched you and saw you pass away, although we loved you dearly we could not make you stay. A golden heart stopped beating, but we knew you were at rest. God broke our hearts to prove to us he only takes the best. Forever loved and Sadly missed Billie, Tim, Lisa, John, Kristi & Brad 


The class of 2004 has dedicated their yearbook to Joe Beres and has given the following tribute to him:

“In 1967 Joe Beres came to work for MSAD #41 and he still continues to do his best; driving the bus between Milo and Brownville and janitoring at the high school. Joe does the best he can to make everyone laugh and smile.

From driving our bus in elementary school to sweeping our floors in high school, the class of 2004 wants to say thank you Joe, for all that you have done and for being there throughout the years.

We wish you many more years at MSAD #41.”

From Grammie McCleary’s weather diary.

MAY 1986
18-Foggy sunny-74° at 12.
19-Sunny Rain late pm little thunder-82° at 12.
20-Rain-50° at 12.
21-Rain clearing some-52° at 1 pm.
22-Rain-58° at 12.
23-Rain-52° at 12.
24-Rain-52° at 12.


A daughter, Sally Josephine Smith, to Nicole Jenkins and Douglas Smith of Bradford on May 07, 2004.  Wt. 8 pounds.


Contributed by Pam London 

Miss Hillary London won the crown of Miss Petite Teen International Maine in the Ms/Miss Petite International Maine Pageant held on April 10th 2004 at The Center Of New Hampshire, located in Manchester N.H.

According to the pageant Director, Charlene Cote, who Directs for Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Maine, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island and New York, Miss London was selected as one of the five finalists from a very large and diverse pool of applicants from across the state of Maine.

Page 9

Page 10

2003-2004 Basketball Season for the PVC All Academic Team for Penquis Valley High School.

Hillary London was chosen by the State of Maine to participate in a movie “Gun Safety”.

This movie was televised in the State of Maine and six other states.

Hillary London received the Academic Achievement Award in modeling from Barbizon and is a model for Cinderella Modeling located in Manchester NH and Barbizon Modeling Agencies.

Miss. Petite Teen International Maine Pageant is Hillary’s first pageant. From this Pageant Hillary will advance to The Miss Petite Teen International Pageant, which will be in Houston, Texas along with girls from all over the world.

The Following is Information About the Ms and Miss Petite International Pageants that are held in Houston Texas that all State Winners and Country winners around the World advance to. 

The Ms. Petite and Miss Petite International Pageants are professionally produced, high-profile beauty pageants, open to women 5’ 6” and UNDER and between the ages of 13 and 29, single or married. We see contestants from around the world each year competing for the two International crowns, many of them first-time pageant competitors.

Our pageant system is designed with a strong emphasis on the contestants' personality and inner beauty. Though there are evening gown and swimwear (or sportswear in the case of the teens) rounds of competition, the highest percentage of scoring is attributed to personal and on-stage interviews. There is no talent competition.

Each year, contestants compete in individual state or country pageants, with the winners advancing to the Ms./Miss International Pageant each summer.

Judging (described below) is conducted by a team of diverse, professional judges from all walks of life, many in the fashion, pageant and entertainment industries. Our judging process is meticulously monitored to assure privacy, fairness and professionalism at all times. All scores are available to all contestants and directors following the pageant, and all prizes are rewarded the night of competition, (subject to sponsor fulfillment).

International Recognition For Petite Women...
Kathy Wheatley, a former pageant winner and Miss USA director, created the Ms. Petite International and Miss Petite Teen International pageant system in 1991 in Houston, Texas. Dissatisfied with the opportunities for petite women in most existing pageant systems where tall contestants have fared better historically, Kathy decided to create a competition exclusively for women 5' 6" and under.

After forming Elite Productions, Inc. to manage the events, the first Ms. Petite Texas Pageants were held. When demand for petite competitions in other parts of the US and in other countries became impossible to ignore, the Ms. Petite pageant system went international. After only 3 short years, Elite Productions found itself host to contestants from all parts of the globe in its first fully international competition. The Miss Petite Teen International contests followed suit in 1994 and both competitions have been growing steadily, side by side, and ever since.

Traditionally, about 80% of our contestants are first-time pageant competitors. In fact, half of our Ms. Petite International winners had no prior pageant experience before their competition in our system. Because the Ms. Petite Pageant focuses heavily on the individual and her personality, contestants do not need to have a strong pageant background to excel in competition.

Since its international debut in 1994, the Miss Petite

pageant system has seen contestants from over 50 nations and all 6 inhabited continents, as well as all 50 states of the U.S. Many young women are attracted to our pageant for the opportunities associated with the Ms. Petite title and with the competition itself. Our past contestants have benefited greatly from the exposure they have received while being a part of these highly publicized events - from modeling and acting contracts to travel, personal appearances, performance experience, and the formation of long-lasting friendships that span the globe. 


As you can see from the above photo, Hockey and Puck, my “miracle ducks”,  are thriving.  The picture shows them having their first swim, in a turkey roaster that I set in the Rubbermaid tote that serves as their feeding room.  I have learned to keep the duck food in a waterproof area of their housing set-up, as ducks are the messiest animals on the planet. They need water in their mouths as they swallow their food and as they eat they naturally wiggle their heads from side-to-side,  and wet food shoots everywhere.  Their duck-butts are also wiggling at a quick  pace and it creates quite a sight, as well as a huge mess.  Practice makes perfect and I now have devised a system that makes for easy clean-up as well as optimum dining conditions for the large babies.

A couple of neighbor kids were at the house as I was preparing the ducklings for their first swim.  They were as amazed as I was at how quickly Hockey and Puck figured out how to submerge their heads and flip around in their makeshift pond.  One of the cutest sights ever is a duck in water…their glee at swimming and diving is contagious, and on warm days at my house it is so fun to sit outside and watch my 11 full-grown ducks take turns marching up the ramp to their water tank and sloshing around.  

The next two weeks are shaping up to be the busiest days ever.  I am glad Kirby and I had a chance last Friday to take a leisurely trip to Auburn to attend the graduation ceremony of Melissa Gormley.  We have always loved Melissa like a daughter and her graduating with President’s Honors from Central Maine Community College was an incredible accomplishment for her.  The Commencement Exercises were well organized and the speakers were all inspirational, yet brief, a great combination!  I will have some pictures for next week’s TRN.  Melissa and Katie have been best friends for ages, and it is quite appropriate that they graduate the same year.  Katie chose to not acknowledge her graduation from the University of Southern Maine last weekend, as she feels it is more appropriate to wait until she finishes her total education to “graduate”.  I understand completely how she feels, and we certainly don’t need a ceremony to use as a reason to tell her how much we love her and how proud we are of all she does.

I mentioned how busy the next few weeks will be, but they will be so much fun.  Next week , either Tuesday or Wednesday, THE COOKBOOKS WILL BE HERE!!!! I can’t wait for everyone to see how great they turned out. I can’t thank you all enough for the wonderful recipes and anecdotes you contributed.  I think everyone involved will be proud of the comminuty’s accomplishment.  We will be contacting everyone who pre-ordered their copies and  “Cooking With Paws” will be available at the Milo and Brownville Town Offices as well as other “To Be Announced” locations. 

One other location the cookbook will be available is next weekend’s PAWS Book fair.  The sale will take place

Page 10

Page 11

downstairs at the Milo Town Hall  on Saturday, and upstairs will be the very popular Milo Historical Societies Antique Appraisal Fair.  Victoria Eastman is organizing the book fair and  has done an incredible job. We have thousands of quality hardcover, paperback and children’s books for sale.   The prices are rock-bottom and the selection is huge, so please come to buy books. 

I am also involved in creating the delicious buffet lunch the Three Rivers Kiwanis is offering the day of the book fair and Antique Appraisal.  The lunch is all-you-can-eat for $5.00 and includes dessert and a beverage.  Included will be finger-sandwiches, salads, fruit and an exquisite dessert that you’ll have to see and taste to believe. 

Also on Saturday the 22nd, the Milo Farmer’s Union is holding their annual anniversary sale wind-up party.  They will be offering a hot dog meal for $1.50, and half of all proceeds will go towards the P.A.W.S. building fund!! The shelter volunteers are preparing a giant anniversary cake to serve alongside the lunch wagon, to thank the MFU for all of the wonderful things they do for our stray dogs and cats.  We literally could not run the shelter without the donations we receive from the customers of the Milo Farmer’s Union.  Thanks so much to the board, staff and management of the store.  You help make Milo a great place to work and live.

With everything that is going on to benefit the shelter next weekend you may find the following a bit surprising-Katie, Julie and I aren’t going to be in town.  Really-we are headed to PetFest in Oxford, a giant gathering of animal rescue groups put on by the Boxer Rescue of Maine. We are so eager to talk with others who share the same experiences we do and who may be able to help us with our new shelter.  Animal Planet is going to be there conducting auditions for their show ”Pet Star”, which is an animal version of “American Idol”.  I have to admit I’ve never seen the show, as I can’t bear to watch the Animal Planet channel..  I know most of the show and stories are up-beat and have happy endings, but the stories are too intense and cause me to agonize over the abuses and sad things that happen to animals I can’t help.. kind of selfish on my part, but I just can’t find room in my heart or head for more pictures of injured or neglected animals.  None the less,  We  can’t wait to go and visit with our peers and talk about ways to better do our jobs and run our shelter.  Milo and Brownville will have to do without their Animal Control Officers for one day.

The next weekend is another big one for the shelter.  On the Saturday of Memorial Weekend, we are throwing the party of the summer.  Travis Cowing, Milo’s own professional comedian, will perform and the laughs will  probably be heard all over town.  Ben is coming home from Vermont for the event and that in itself makes it a great time for me.  The tickets are $12 at the door and $ 10 in advance.  It will be a great opportunity for young and old alike to get together and show your support of our shelter as well as Travis.  He is so funny and has many bits that are about local personalities, so it is even funnier as you picture Milo and Brownville’s own in hilarious situations.

Besides all of the special happenings going on the next few weeks, I still have my normal duties and the library program to see to.  I am sure everything will go great and thanks to all of my friends and co-workers everything will get done.  I hope Mother Nature does her part and gives us nice weather for the next two weekends.  The ducks will just have to use their pond for their water activities instead of the puddles they find so exciting.   



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at The Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Nancy Grant or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.


President Joe Zamboni greeted nineteen members, Key Club members Amber Benoit and Dawn Patton, and guest Gerry Whiting.

Eben DeWitt led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Dunham said a prayer for those in need and for the service men and women.           

Don Harris read an inspirational message about mistakes marking the passage of errors and to never give up searching.           

The Orono/Old Town newsletter was shared with the club.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to CeCe Harmon on May 16 and David Walker on May 17!

Eight happy dollars were donated for having a speaker for our beautiful country, raffle ticket sales, Joe Beres having the 2004 PVHS yearbook dedicated to him, and correcting Terry Bailey!  One sad dollar was for a losing baseball game.

Auction update: Letters have been sent to area businesses; 50/50 tickets have been ordered; ‘potties’ are lined up; and yard sale items will be double-checked.

Joe Z. told us he has found the perfect gazebo.  The one he saw in Skowhegan is just the design we’ve been looking for.  Time to start building?

Board of Director’s meeting highlights:

1.     Robert Skoglund-aka The Humble Farmer-coordinating a fundraiser with Kiwanis on July 14.  No upfront costs and the proceeds will be split 75% to Mr. Skoglund and 25% to Kiwanis.

2.     Board recommended annual sexual harassment training.

3.     $100 donation to the Key Club on April 7-Dreams for ME Kids raffle tickets.

4.     $100 donation to the MS walk in Guilford on May 16.

5.     $100 donation to the American Legion for phone cards for our service men and women in Iraq.

6.     $125 donation to the children’s summer reading programs for hats, bandanas, etc.

7.     Board agreed to authorize Jeff G. to offer up to $1000 for a new ‘used’ food wagon.

8.     Board accepted to support the book awards for graduating Key Club members.

9. Slate of officers for 2004-2005: President-Murrel Harris, Vice-President-Eben DeWitt, Treasurer-Jeff
Page 11

Page 12

10.     Gahagan, Secretary-Dottie Brown, and President-Elect-Chris Beres.

Board members: Nancy Grant-3-year term and Virgil Valente-1-year to finish term for Chris Beres.

Our speaker for May 19 will be Robin Long from Caring Connection.  May 26-TBA.

Joe Z. introduced our speaker today.  Gerry Whiting is a 40+ year resident of Maine, a U Maine graduate, a licensed professional forester in Maine, and has worked in the forest products industry for most of his career, either for large landowners or as a consultant.  He has been working with the Appalachian Mountain Club for approximately 2 1⁄2 years in an effort to develop a center of activity in Maine.

Men interested in hiking started the Club in Boston 125 years ago; during the time that Alexander Graham Bell invented the telephone!  At that time they traveled by train and stagecoach for 2 or 3 days just to get to a hiking location.  Now there are 90,000 to 94,000 members from Washington, D.C. to Maine enjoying non-motorized recreation.  The club is divided into chapters with New England having the largest chapter.  The members participate in hiking, snowshoeing, boating, skiing, and other outdoor activities.  They would like people to develop an appreciation for the outdoors.  Gerry emphasized that Maine is special, from the coast to Acadia National Park to beautiful Piscataquis County.

Gerry also told us that the Appalachian Club was reviewed internally in 1998-1999.  Their key focus at that time was concentrated in the White Mountains in New Hampshire.  They wanted to find new areas to promote natural resources education.  Because of the desire to work with people they wanted to own land instead of leasing it from the government.  They started looking at a 100-mile region from Monson to Baxter Park area.  When they had a chance to purchase land in the Katahdin area, they financed $14.2 million to buy 37,000 acres, extending from T7R9 to the Bowdoin College Grants.

Forest management plans include an industrial forest and harvest this summer.  Recreational facilities have been updated at the Little Lyford Camps and 500 guests have visited this site since last October.  The snowmobile trail from Brownville to Greenville was opened.  The Appalachian Mountain Club is open to collaboration with local groups.  Please go to for more information.

Thank you Gerry, for an interesting presentation.

Page 12

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance