Three Rivers News, 2004-03-23

Congratulations Ashley Williams on winning the gold metal in the Nursing Assistant competition for V.I.C.A. on Friday night in Bangor. We are so proud of you. We know that you will make the State on Maine very proud when you go to Kansas in June.








 APRIL 10, 2004



DON BELVIN AT 965-8786.


Saturday, April  24, 2004 .

Delicious Hot Chowder, Biscuits, Rolls, Crackers. For those that don1t like fish chowder there will be a Salad Bar with Green Salad, Baked Beans, Macaroni Salad, Potato Salad, pickles, Dessert, Coffee Tea, and Punch. Adults $6.50, children 12 and under $3.00.




     SSGT. Donald M. Martin Jr. , currently stationed at Camp LeJuene N.C., was recently promoted to the rank of Staff Sergeant upon his return from duty in Iraq. His unit, 2nd Battalion, 8th Marines was awarded the Presidential Unit Citation for their outstanding service March 25 - 26 ,2003 in the battle of Nasariya, Iraq. This award has not been given to a Marine Corp Unit since 1970. SSgt. Martin is the son of Donald and Christine Martin of Brownville.
     Jct. SSgt. Martin is married to Stacie Whiting Martin formerly of LaGrange. They reside in North Carolina with their two sons Joshua and Jeremy.

     Beginning this week, the Three Rivers News is going to be reprinting the History of the Milo Schools, a book written by Lloyd J. Treworgy and  originally printed in 1972. 
     We would like to thank the Milo Historical Society, and specifically Gwen Bradeen for making this possible.  It is the intent of the Three Rivers News to give its readers a sense of what small town living is all about and a series of this sort will serve to create a trip down memory lane. 

     Three Rivers Kiwanis is taking orders for the 2005 Community Birthday Calendar.  Each calendar is $5.00 and the price includes at least 4 listings.  This is a great way to commemorate a loved one, by listing the date of their birthday, anniversary, or a memorial to their passing. The calendar is also a great way to honor a pet.
     Use the form at the end of this week’s Three Rivers News to order your calendar, and be sure to include your phone number so we can call if we have any questions. 

You will need to get a hard copy to fill out the form.

Page 1

Page 2
   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings




WED., MAR. 24


THUR., MAR. 25


FRI., MAR. 26




Wise Women’s Group
     A new group is being offered through Womancare. The Wise Women’s Group is a 9-week educational group for senior women. So often senior women have difficulty recognizing that domestic violence is a problem, or even more surprisingly, that it is occurring. This population was socialized to marry “for better or for worse” with divorce a rare option. Women often lived in silence as the shame of being labeled “battered” was of great concern. The Wise Women’s Group focus will include; self-care, physical well-being, setting boundaries, healthy relationships, and

safety planning. It is our hope that participants will experience a reduction in isolation, increase her understanding of self care, and learn how to access available resources. As with all Womancare services this group is free and confidential. Bringing a friend is encouraged. This group will begin on Tuesday, April 6th and meet every Tuesday thereafter until June 1st from 9:30 am – 11:00am. For more information about where the group will meet, and to register please call 564-8165 or toll-free at 1-888-564-8165.

Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. The Briggs Block was built in (a) 1857 (b) 1875 (c) 1895 (d) 1903.
2. Alice Graves was a (a) secretary (b) telephone operator (c) teacher (d) minister.
3. The Pleasant River Hotel was also known as (a) The Long Branch (b) Sundown (c) Eureka (d) Road's End.
4. Dillon's Hall was also known as (a) The Majestic Theatre (b) The CP House (c) Cohen's Hall (d) The Uptown Theatre.
5. BJHS burned down in (a) 1913 (b) 1917 (c) 1921 (d) 1925
6. The Pleasant River has (a) one (b) two (c) three (d) four branches.
7. (a) Everett Gerrish (b) Dave Cota (c) Lyle Towne (d) Dave Barrett was twice town manager.
8. A famous horse trader, John Morrill, stayed at the (a) Elms House (b) French Boardinghouse (c) YMCA (d) Pleasant River Hotel.
9. (a) Don Brewer (a) Richardson's (c) Stymiest's (c) French's was(were) the first to serve pizza in Brownville.
10. Rev. Ann Stead came from (a) New York (b) New Brunswick (c) New Jersey (d) Quebec.

Answers: 1-d 2-b 3-c 4-a 5-c 6-c 7-c 8-a 9-a 10-b

It's a Dog's Home! - A True Story
(Submitted by C.K.Ellison, 2004)
     My dog, Trin, sometimes called "Trinny" (a German Shepherd mix with very soft fur) was a very active and strong dog up until the summer of 1999. The event that changed both our lives took place one evening after I returned from work. It was my custom in the evening, to open up the front door and go sit upon the screened in porch until dark, before going up to bed. Trin would lie upon the couch in front of the big window, and I would sit in a rocking chair closer to the door.
     First, I would hook Trin outdoors. Suddenly, she saw a groundhog next door, and tugged on her chain. I brought her back into the house, and she charged through the house out onto the porch and dashed its length in order to jump her front feet up on the flat railing and finish barking at the groundhog. What happened then I didn't see, but I heard her scream. I went out onto the porch, and she was lying at the foot of the lawn chair with her back legs right out straight, paralyzed from the waist down.
     That same day, early in the morning, I had examined her right eye and saw a tiny bit of a lump on her lower eyelid returning. She recently had several of them removed. I wondered if it would grow, or if it would remain the same for the rest of her life. Now, I was wondering if she would even be alive tomorrow. I called my daughter's home, and told my son-in-law that I thought my dog had broken her back.
     My family members made arrangements with their veterinarian. They came up and took Trin there for the night. We dragged her to the car on a blanket. She was frightened, shaking, in pain, and couldn't stand.
     The next morning more arrangements were made to take her to an animal clinic in Portland. My daughter, her husband & I took her there. Trin was there a week. In her mind, she not only was very sick, but must have thought she had been discarded as well.
     I phoned the clinic every day, but of course Trin didn't know that. It was determined that it wasn't a break, but a spinal stroke. Fairly common in active dogs. A small chip of bone breaks off, or a small blood clot has formed. In that kind of situation, there is

Page 2

Page 3

a chance for recovery, but not full recovery. She would always scuff her left foot, when she was able to walk again, and even today she accidentally steps on her left foot while it is upside down.
     When we went to get her from the clinic, she was already developing liver dysfunction. The vital organs fail when a dog goes down. Some dogs are more affected then others. On the way home it took quite a bit of mileage to convince her that it was really her family she was with, and she was not in danger. My daughter had a week off, and the veterinarian, for whom my daughter works, was away on vacation. Trin spent the next week at my family's home.
     I was there every day off, and slept on the couch next to Trin so I could reach down and tend her needs. She had an unusually high fever and was very thirsty. She also with severe diarrhea due to the liver dysfunction. Her kidneys did not fail. She tore open the top of her left foot the first night she was there by dragging it past something sharp, and now wore a bandage on that foot. She was under medication, some intravenous treatment, and many blood tests were taken to the hospital for diagnosis. Whereas the weather was hot, we covered her with wet towels, and kept a fan blowing on her. We carried her outdoors holding up her back end, and laid her over a footstool to wash and keep her clean (the hair was shaved off her bottom, as is the custom). One bad night, we packed ice between her legs to keep her from going into convulsions. At the point where we thought she couldn't be saved, her fever dropped and she started to get better.
     Trin then traveled to work with my daughter for a few days. She wanted to drag herself along behind every moment, and when she was out in the fenced in back yard, I'm sure she was thinking about heading for home just the way she was. Anxiety had taken over. The phone rang, and would I like to come down and take her home as she would do better, and I would be taught how to bandage her foot.
     In my driveway, I wondered how I would get Trin out of my car. She was a heavy dog. I managed, and wheel-barrowed her up the steps into the house. She went for fresh water in her water dish, and fell asleep beside it. Relaxed and now contented, home was the best place for her.
     The L.L. Bean bed came home with me. It belonged to Max, a German Shepherd, now deceased. I placed the bed next to the couch in the living room. I told Trin that I would never leave her, so, at night I slept on the couch beside her for many months. It was November before she could walk without the bandage, but now could climb the back steps by herself. Also, I was very proud of her when she managed to jump up on the front porch couch all by herself.
     Soon, she was ready to carefully climb upstairs under my watchful eye, and jump up on the other twin bed to rest for the night. This bed has a plastic barrier over the mattress. Trin loves it there in the summer with the windows open.
     Recently, perhaps due to her old age, Trin had a puddle accident (this was the second one) on the way downstairs one morning. Even though this did not happen if I took her out very late at night, I decided perhaps she had better stay down, rather than up. Remember, I told had her I would never leave her... and now...
     I should explain her personality at this point. Trin generally comes back into the house after a last trip out late at night, heads right for the L.L. Bean bed, and then shows indifference when I tell her it is time to go upstairs. She would hardly budge. She loves that bed. So, I went up to bed alone one night. When I came down the stairs in the morning, she greeted me with a wag of her tail, and a happy look. This is going to work out, I thought.

     Dogs learn by experience, and they plan ahead. This is what really happened from that night on. She walks back in the house from a late night trip outdoors. She does not go to the L.L. Bean bed. She walks back through the living room and stands in the kitchen doorway to see if I'm with her, then leading the way, heads for the foot of the stairs and stands by the gate for me to open it, then starts climbing the stairs.
     It's a dog's home! 

     MILO and CONCORD, N.H. - John A. Dean, 45, died Sunday, March 14, 2004, at his home in Concord, N.H., as the result of an accident in his garage. Born Sept. 6, 1958, in Milo, the son of Leslie "Dizzy" and Margaret "Peggi" Dean, he moved to New Hampshire in 1986. After high school he had worked at Dexter Shoe Co. in Milo, and Guilford Industries in Guilford, before joining the U.S. Army in 1977. Following his active duty, he served with the 619th reserve unit in Auburn, shipping overseas during the Gulf War in the early 90's. He had recently retired from the Army Reserves after 26 years of service to his country. At the time of his death, he was employed as a stock handler for Public Service of New Hampshire. John was an avid NASCAR fan and enjoyed going to the races, and often took part in the spectator races at local New Hampshire tracks. He also enjoyed doing automotive projects and going to the Amherst Swap Meet. He will be sadly missed by his wife, Lisa, of Concord, N.H.; his parents of Milo; three sons, Jason Dean of Milo, Corey Smith of Concord, N.H., Christopher Brown of Watertown, N.Y.; a sister, Ellen Murray and her fianc‚, Kevin Heath, of West Enfield; two nephews, Gordon Robinson and his wife, Kelly, of Guild, N.H., Andrew Robinson and his fianc‚e, Shannon, of Hampton, N.H.; his close friends, Stephen Bradstreet, Ronald Hafford, and Scott Artus, all of Milo, and his dogs, Logan and Yonah.

Editor’s note: I think this picture, taken at his Mom and Dad’s this month, epitomizes the John we all know and love.  Our love and sympathy go out to Peggi, Dizzy, Ellen and Lisa.  John was a ray of sunshine wherever he went, and today, the world is less sunny.

            Thanks to Karen Clark for this picture.


In Loving Memory Of JEROME A. CHASE
Jan. 26, 1945 - March 17, 2003
The moment that you died, my heart split in two.

One side filled with memories, the other died with you.
I often lay awake at night, when the world is fast asleep,
Walking down memory lane, with tears upon my cheeks. Remembering you is easy, I do it everyday,
But missing you is a heartache, that never goes away.
My heart holds you tightly, and there you will remain.
Life has gone on without you, but it will never be the same.
Sadly missed and forever loved: Rosemary Kim, Brent, Brooke, & Ben Craig, Tiffany, Morgan & Craig Jr. "Seka".

Page 3

Page 4


April 2, 1997 - March 19, 2003

Logan would let the sunshine in
To warm the coolest day.
A thundercloud could never win
To keep this boy from play.
And Logan wisely spent his time
On each important thing.
There’d always be red trucks to climb
Or firebells to ring.

By Ann Boyle

Cook School News
     Our March 19 assembly began with Mr. Walker welcoming our new students, Carolyn, Hannah and Isaiah Bess to our school family. Ms. Ivy assisted Mr. Walker with the Terrific Kid Awards. Our honorees were SAMANTHA NOKE, ISAIAH BESS and LILLIS NOKE.
     Ms. Ivy said that Samantha has completed all of her work. She has been doing incredible writing with incredible stories. Samantha is Terrific every week.
     Mrs. Carter is proud of Isaiah. He has made many new friends this week. He is learning to follow a new classroom routine and do lots of writing with a smile on his face.
     Lillis loves to read. Miss K. loves listening to Lillis read. They love getting lost in books together. Lillis has a great sense of humor. She completes all of her assignments and is kind to others.
     Artist of the week awards were presented for outstanding water color paintings to Codie Donlan ("Two Flower's Dancing"), Tyler Tibbets ("Truck in a Jump"), Michelle Baker ("Spring Thing") and Trevor Lyford ("Sunset with Flowers"). The paintings are hanging in our school gym.
     Kathy Foss gave Bus Awards to Lindsay Turner, Hannah Bess and Carolyn Bess. Congratulations to all of our Terrific Kids.
     Our first Move and Improve drawing was held. Prize winners included Jacob Turner, Harmony Pierce and Rachael Baker.
     Laura Gray and Ms. Ivy celebrated birthdays this week.
     The Grade 2 and 3 class sang a song about 1787 and the Constitution to conclude the morning festivities.

Terrific Kids from the classroom of:
Mrs. Barden - Our Terrific Kid is a sweetheart. She loves to write in her journal and works hard in reading. She has some new pets and loves to tell us about them. Our Terrific Kid is a repeat terrific kid. She is CHELSEY GERRISH and we love her.
Mrs. Mills - Our Terrific Kid has worked hard on his testing this week. He has spent some extra time in the classroom and has done a wonderful job at whatever was asked of him. He loves to draw inventions of creations he will one day make. He has a smile on his face and is a great young man. We congratulate JAMIE MCCLURE on being our Terrific Kid. Way to go!!
Mrs. Dunham - Our Terrific Kid is a kind, caring young lady. She has become quite an author. If you would like to know If Cinderella and the prince REALLY did live happily ever after, you'll need to read her sequel. She is also a terrific helper in the room. She tries to get our classroom ready for the next day's schedule. We wouldn't know what to do if we didn't halved MARGARET BUBAR in our class.
Mrs. Gillis
Today is Rank Card day at school,
These two think school's really cool,
How do I know? You may ask,
Their attendance is perfect, and their job's not a task.
Mrs. Dell'olio - Our Terrific Kid is fascinating, and has many interests. He enjoys bike riding, tossing a football, writing about cars, and wrestling. He likes pizza and macaroni and cheese. He brings a lot of entertaining views to math and science discussions, and we like to hear his stories. Thanks for making our days so interesting DEVON ARMSTRONG!!
Mrs. Hayes - At this point in the school year we are expecting our students to: Follow rules for appropriate behavior in the classroom, out at recess ,in the bathroom and halls, in the lunchroom and in all special classes Listen and follow directions
Do their best in all their schoolwork Be respectful to all teachers and friends Be caring, kind and helpful students and classmates We applaud three of our girls and two of our boys for showing us theses good qualities this week. Please congratulate MEGAN WITHAM, JESSICA BROWN, SHANIA ROUSSEL, CODY ANDRICK AND AARON GOODINE.
Mrs. Tardiff and Mrs. Hussey - JADE DOW- Jade has been working very hard to improve her math skills and become a neater writer. She is a great friend to her classmates and follows the 'I Care " rules. She is an active listener and
has a great smile every day. Congratulations, Jade.
ANISA WITHAM- This little girl is a great reader and writer. She gives her best effort in all tasks. She is an active listener and enjoys stories in the group. She is a good friend and willing helper. Good job, Anisa.
Mrs. Walker and Mrs. Carey - Our 2 TK's are repeaters again this week. We have 2 adorable, kind and caring Terrific Kids this week. Each has a big brother. They watch out for each other like brother and sister. They sit at the green table across from each other and always get their work done on time. Both are polite and well-mannered and follow the Golden Rule each day. We love spending our days in Kindergarten with HALEY PENNINGTON and TELOS WALLACE.
Mrs. Whitney - Our Terrific kid for 3/19 is EDDIE COBB. He has worked really hard on his attitude and cooperativeness. He likes basketball and wants to be a pro some day. He has already started by winning the K of C championship for his age group not

Page 4

Page 5

once, but twice. Good job and good luck dribbling to your dreams, Eddie!!!

From Brownville Elementary:
     The Brownville Elementary School's Fifth Graders are making quilts under the guidance of Myrna Ricker and her quilting friends: Helen Woodruff, Debbie Berce, Barbara Campbell, Joy Russell, Toni Mihalik and Grace Dillon. Recently, Anne Hathorn from Old American Threads in Milo donated the backing and the batting for each student's quilt. The students are seen here receiving their generous gift from Mrs. Hathorn.

     Students in the picture are Kala Hall, Emily Emery, Bailee Burton, Jacki Riethmuller, Michael Vachon, Ryan Robinson, Phillip Cook, Keith Grant, Katlynn Averill, Harley Gilman, Amber Willinski.

     First Graders at Brownville Elementary School tried very hard to catch some leprechauns on St. Patrick's Day. Disguised as leprechauns themselves, the students (with the help of their parents) designed and built a multitude of ingenious traps. Sorry to say, however, that the traps didn't catch a one of those elusive little green men. Even with all that gold as an enticement, the traps stayed bare.

     The leprechauns had a field day in the classroom when nobody was footprints all over the place, sparkly glitter strewn here and there....there was even a tell-tale sign of a leprechaun's presence left in the bathroom! Oh yes indeed.....they came, but we couldn't seem to catch a one. Oh well, another year maybe they'll come again.

     K-5 students from Lagrange and Brownville had a great opportunity this week to learn more about the solar system. The PTO brought "Go for the Stars" to the school. Here students dress as astronauts and help with the presentation. There were also several experiments for student participation, It was a great learning experience and we thank the Lagrange and Brownville PTO's.
     Brownville 5th graders have been studying the Westward Movement, and in particular the Oregon Trail. Students recently made conestoga wagons at home and brought them in for an exhibit. Here, Brianne Andrews and Danielle Word display the wagons they made. The whole class did a great job.


A Historical Review
Rivers and Dams in Maine - Part 8
Dams and Power - Phyllis Austin
Maine Times - Sept. 16, 1977
(Submitted by C.K.Ellison, 2004)
     No matter where the dam is located, McCann said, it would "not flood the last three-fourth mile of Pipogenus Gorge because we wouldn't flood the power station there." He suggested there would be enough whitewater left for Hockmeyer's business and other canoeists.
     Hockmeyer said Great Northern has recently fenced off Ripogenus Gorge to prevent him from running it with rafts. he was allowed to do so this summer but believes that the paper company wants the public out of the area as much as possible. he theorizes that if a few people are aware of the beauty of the area, there won't be a large fight against the dam. He said Great Northern has the Piscataquis County deputy sheriffs stationed at Ripogenus Dam to prevent him and his crew from using Great Northern land to put in below the dam. McCann said the power station has been fenced off because Great Northern is afraid the power station will be "vandalized." He said deputies have been at the station site

Page 5

Page 6

to prevent any damage and their intent is not to discourage the public from seeing the gorge.
     CMP's Cold Stream facility would be tentatively as 83,000-kilowatt station and two more stations would be built to eventually bring ip up to a 120,000-kilowatt plant. Peter Thompson, public relations director for the utility, said the dam has not been economical until now. CMP was using gas-power turbines to produce peak electrical demands. Thompson said that there is no longer gas available for such purposes. The Cold Stream dam would flood the Kenebec Gorge, at least seven to eight miles, Hockmeyer said. "All of the whitewater on the Kennebec would be gone."
"Because they are getting everything else stopped, it's the only alternative for them. But it's not an answer to anything," Hockmeyer said. "peaking power stations won't produce a whole lot of electricity, but it would be cheap. However, it's not an answer to the energy they need to produce. It's a drop in the bucket."
     "So many people come up here to run these rivers," said Hockmeyer. "They are creating a tremendous economic impact. We're filling up these sporting camps, and restaurants are doing more business."
     "I think when the time comes to build the dam, we will have generated so much money and publicity, that the dam can be defeated without a tremendous fight." Hockmeyer believes the Penobscot dam plan will be harder to stop because a decision on it is nearer. Also, Dickey-Lincoln -- still unresolved -- has committed the kind of people and organizations he would count on to support his battle," he said.

Milo Free Public Library News
By Judith Macdougall
     Would you believe it! We received more tax forms this past week. I would think the Internal Revenue Service would get all their tax forms out no later than January 31st. The tax form we received this time is Tax Form 2210-Underpayment of Estimated Tax by Individuals , Estates and Trusts. I don’t believe I have ever seen such a specialized tax form. Anyway, I’ll repeat, we do have tax forms-the basic 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ, plus schedules and the State of Maine long form. Remember time is running out. Just a month left now!
     Patrons have been very generous about donating used juvenile paperbacks, but we are running out of room..We have been weeding our collection by discarding the duplicates and the more shabby of the books. These discards we have been putting out for sale in the hall. If any of you are interested in buying some inexpensive children’s paperback books, they are five cents apiece. Now, how could you go wrong at that price? Infact, we have several boxes of adult paperbacks for five cents apiece too. Our hard cover books-fiction and non-fiction-for adults are only 10 cents. A real bargain if you find something that interests you.
     This week we did two ILL (Interlibrary Loan) for a patron. He came in with a short list of specialized project titles. We had none of them but through ILL we could get two of the books from the Bangor Public Library. I sent an e-mail to BPL requesting the books, Gary at BPL sent them out on Tuesday, and our patron had them on Wednesday. When the books are available , the loaning library can quickly put them into our patrons’ hands. Remember this service if you desire a book that might be too specialized for us to shelve. ILL
     We have had very generous gifts in Helen Carey’s name. Although we have not yet decided what we will do with the bulk of the funds, I did have one set of books on my “Wish List” and I bought it with some of the gift funds. It is a three volume set The Encyclopedia of Mammals. It will

be kept as reference so it will always be available. It lists all the world’s mammalian species-some 4,600 in total. Volume I contains Carnivores and Sea Mammals, volume II includes Primates and Large Herbivores and volume III presents Marsupials, Insect Eaters and Small Herbivores. The illustrations of colored photographs , diagrams and maps are very informative as is the interesting text with each article. I hope many patrons , large and small, will enjoy searching for a particular mammal or just enjoy browsing through these volumes.

Library Winter Hours
Telephone 943-2612

Traditions of a Milo-ite
By Kathy Witham

     I don't usually do a column on something that has come over my computer screen....but this list of things that you can do with a Bounce dryer sheet really sounded interesting. They do smell wonderful, and I always use a fabric softener or conditioner of some kind in every load of clothes that I do. You all know how I feel about you can see the appeal in this list.
     It goes like this: If you've just been putting Bounce in the dryer you need to know that it will also chase ants away when you lay a sheet near them. It also repels mice...spread them around your foundation areas, or in trailers or cars that are just sitting. It keeps mice from entering your vehicle. Golfers can put a Bounce sheet in their back pocket to keep the bees away. They repel mosquitoes. Tie a sheet of Bounce through a belt loop when outdoors during mosquito season.
     Bounce dryer sheets will eliminate static electricity from your television (or computer) screen. Since Bounce is designed to help eliminate static cling, wipe your television screen with a used sheet of Bounce to keep dust from resettling. Dissolve soap scum from shower doors with a Bounce dryer sheet. Freshen the air in your home, by placing an individual sheet of Bounce in a drawer, or hang it in the closet. Put a Bounce sheet in your vacuum cleaner bag. To avoid musty smelling suitcases, place an individual sheet of Bounce inside each empty piece of luggage before storing. Freshen the air in your car by placing a sheet of Bounce under the front seat.
     Prevent thread from tangling by running a threaded needle through a sheet of Bounce before beginning to sew. Clean baked-on foods from the pan by putting a sheet in the pan, filling it with water and letting it sit overnight. Then sponge the pan clean. The anti-static agent apparently weakens the bond between the food and the pan.
     Bounce dryer sheets take the odor out of books and photo albums that don't get opened too often. Eliminate odors in wastebaskets by placing a sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the wastebasket. You can dust up cat hair by rubbing the area with a sheet of Bounce. The sheet magnetically attracts all the loose hairs. Eliminate static electricity from Venetian blinds by wiping the blinds with a sheet of Bounce. This will prevent the dust from resettling. A used sheet of Bounce will collect up sawdust from drilling or sanding just like a tack cloth.
     You can eliminate the odors of a dirty laundry bag or a hamper full of dirty clothes by placing an individual sheet of Bounce at the bottom of the bag or hamper. Deodorize shoes or sneakers by placing a sheet of bounce in each shoe or sneaker overnight. To keep sleeping bags and tents fresh, slip a Bounce sheet in them before folding and storing them away.

Page 6

Page 7

     Aren't these great ideas...almost too good to be true!! I didn't try out all of these ideas, but I do like the smell of Bounce. I have always thought that the wastebasket in my laundry room smelled good. Spring cleaning time is almost upon us. I suppose anything that can make that chore easier is worth a try.
     Have you ever tried my cranberry chicken recipe? We're having company for the weekend and I'm planning on serving this Friday night for dinner.

1 broiler-fryer chicken (3 to 4 pounds) cut up ( I use 3 to 4 lbs. of thighs and drumsticks)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon of pepper
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery (or 1/2 teaspoon celery seed)
1 can (16 ounces) whole-berry cranberry sauce
1 cup barbecue sauce (any flavor will do)

     I remove the skin off the chicken pieces. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. In a skillet, melt butter and brown the chicken on all sides. Transfer to a greased 13X9 baking dish. Sauté the onion and celery (or celery seed) in the drippings until tender. Add cranberry and barbecue sauce; mix well. Pour over the chicken and bake uncovered at 350 degrees for about an hour or until the juices run clear. Baste every 15 minutes. Serves 4-6 If you do use a broiler fryer cut might take a little longer to cook the bigger pieces through.

History of the Milo Schools
By Lloyd J. Treworgy
(Printed in 1972)

Editor’s note: This is the first installment in a series that will reprint the book History of the Milo Schools, written by Lloyd Treworgy.  The following text was copied directly from his book by Gwen Bradeen. 

A Note about the Author
                       Lloyd J. Treworgy, the author of The Milo District Schools, has had a deep interest in schools for many years, going back to the 1920’s when he taught and coached at Brownville Junction High School and at Milo High School, and to the 1940’s and 1960’s when he served on the Milo School Board.  He also taught as a substitute teacher in the Milo Junior High School and Penquis Valley High School.
     His work on this history of the Milo Area Schools is based on careful research in both town and school records and on many interviews with former teachers, school officials, and students, and of course, incorporates his own experiences as teacher, school board member and interested citizen.

Part one

     This is the story of the district school as it operated in Milo from the early days of the town until the mid nineteen-twenties.  It is the story of a system of education far different from that which we have today.

     Only a handful of our older citizens remember these primitive, one teacher, one room schools from having attended them as children and only five who taught in one or another of them are still alive in Milo.
     At the height of the system, around 1880 to 1890, though before it had reached its highest efficiency, Milo had nine school districts.  Each district had its school agent, or agents.  These were authorized yearly at town meeting, and after the early 1850’s were elected by the residents of each district.  They were surprisingly autonomous, bargaining for their district, sometimes even against the town itself; hiring the teacher for their district school; and keeping an eye out for its general welfare.  It is possible that the nine or more school agents acted more or less as a body in school affairs.  They did hold a meeting of the total group shortly after the town meeting had authorized them and their district had elected them.  The records aren’t clear as to whether they were loners or a cohesive group after that.
     Each district, too, had its own schoolhouse and drew its pupils (they were called “scholars” then) from an area with clearly marked boundaries.
     Of these nine schoolhouses, only one is still standing and recognizable as such.
     Built soon after 1850, the primary school, across the street from Chase’s Hall (it was always written like that: Chase’s) is the last relic of the long vanished district school system.  It was the only district school building of the nine with more than one room, for population after 1850 was more dense in the village than in the outskirts.  Strictly speaking, the Derby or Milo Junction School – as it was called until nearly 1917 – was a district school and, of course, it had more than one room.  The Derby School though, was built in 1907, when “rural” was beginning to be used in place of “district”, and consolidation had lost its status as a nasty word.
     For years the primary school has stood abandoned, a sleeping ruin between the Episcopal Church and the residence of Mrs. Gertrude Kittredge.  It is not the first time the primary school was abandoned, as we shall see.  With equal certainty, it is destined to be restored again from its present outcast status, and from its decay and loneliness of recent years.  Within the past few months it, along with the old grammar school and high school buildings, has been taken over by Basketville, to be repaired and to begin a new life as a factory.
     This year of 1976, therefore, seems an appropriate time to write an obituary of the district school; to praise its virtues; note frankly its shortcomings; and to listen again,  for a moment, to echoes that come down to us from the happy shouts, and dolorous groans, of the last of these long-ago pupils – who are now our senior citizens.
     I am Lloyd J. Treworgy, a resident of Milo for the past forty-five years, and a member of the Milo Historical Society, for which this account is being prepared.  The statements that appear in this story are the result of a careful perusal of the town records back to 1823; of conversations with forty or fifty older citizens of the town over a period of several months; and of a study of old, extant copies of the Milo High School Breeze.
     Editors Note: Here is the website address of Milo High School. Thanks to Seth Barden and the TRCMaine crew for letting me steal the picture.

Page 7

Page 8

     It had been a cold windy February but it was supposed to change for the better by Monday.  My friend Dana Gerow had called and asked me up to stay Friday night and fish Moosehead on Saturday.  After supper Friday night I picked up my “tip ups”, tackle box, snowshoes, and pack basket and loaded them in the car. 
     I arrived at Dana’s in Greenville Jct. right after 6 pm.  He saw me drive into the dooryard and came out to help me bring in my stuff.  I hadn’t been there long when a knock came at the door.  It was Dana’s next-door neighbor Wayne Hanson.  He seemed to be excited and asked Dana who owned the Vauxhall car in the dooryard.  I said,  “I did.”  “Great”, he replied, “They plowed the road into Lobster Lake yesterday.  That car is just what we need to get in there; want to go?”  Dana and I agreed to go with him.  He asked me what I had for hooks and line.  I showed him and he said, “That’s no good.  We’ve got to go down town and get something.”
     We jumped into my car and drove down to a store at the Jct. where they sold fishing tackle.  He picked up a spool of 30-lb. test nylon line and 6 fish hooks that you could drop a quarter through!  I paid for the things and we went back and replaced two of my tip-ups with new 30-lb. test line and those new big hooks.  I had my tongue in my cheek all this time.  I had caught a few 2-3 lb. togue and pickerel but that’s all on my own old lines.
     We had a good nights sleep and rolled out before daylight.  Dana’s mother put up some sandwiches and a big thermos of coffee and after a good breakfast of scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, and coffee, we headed out.
     Wayne had called a bait dealer the night before and we stopped there while he picked up three, foot long dead suckers…no live bait!  The sun came out but not for long.  It soon turned overcast.  Wayne knew where to go and by 7:30 we were on our newly plowed road.  It was a one-way road with some turnouts.  We were lucky, as we didn’t meet any trucks or cars.  It was 8 am when we parked the car in a turnout near the old lumber camps at Lobster Lake except the camps were about gone.
     It didn’t take us long to get our gear out of the car and get our snowshoes on.  The camps were quite close to the “little claw” of Lobster Lake.  We passed the camps and for a moment I wondered about all the activity that had been there.  I wondered what happened to the crew; were they all still living?  I could almost see them sitting near the big ram down stove, hanging up socks to dry, sharpening a double-bitted axe or making a new axe handle from a nice piece of rock maple; the crooked knife pulling nice smooth shavings from the wood.  The maker sighted down its length and laid it down under the deacon seat and put the crooked knife away.  One turned down the kerosene lantern and they all crawled under the one, twenty-foot long blanket.
     The scene faded as I started to catch up with Dana and Wayne.  They were just getting onto the lake when I got to them.  Wayne said, “Follow me and I’ll show you where to cut the holes.”  He told me to cut one hole about 100 feet from shore.  I put my chisel together and after cleaning the snow off the ice with my snowshoe; I got my feet set and started to cut the hole.  Wayne hollered over and said, “Cut it at least a foot across!”  My tongue was still in my cheek as I started the cut.  The flat side of the blade must be kept on the outside to keep the sides of the hole straight, not tapered.  Gas augers had shown up in the stores but we didn’t have one.  I sort of enjoyed cutting a nice clean hole with a chisel.
     As I was cleaning the slush out Wayne came over with a sucker.  He took his hunting knife out and cut a slice about 2-inches wide and 4-inches long out of the side of the fish.  He said, “Give

me your hook and I’ll bait it.”  He doubled the piece with the meat side out and put the whole thing on the hook.  What a “gob” it was!  He then stepped up to the hole and dropped it into the water.  He let it down till he hit bottom then pulled it up about a foot and tied a loose loop in the line.  He pulled the line back up and said, “We’ve got about 15-feet of water.”  “Now”, he said, “I’ll show you how to do this.  Pull the line up as high as you can reach and let it down quick.  Then let it settle for a second or two then pull it back up slowly.”  He turned and started back to his hole.  He stopped, turned, and said, “If you hook one pull him in, don’t let him run with it.”  I said to myself, “What a lot of baloney.”
     I started doing as he said while I was watched him finish cutting holes and getting baited up. He was about 50 feet down from us and he asked Dana how he was doing.  He said, “I’ve done the same as you did for Carl.”
     The weather was just right, overcast, no wind, and not too cold.  I’d been pulling the line up and dropping it quick for maybe 15 minutes when all of a sudden, as I started to pull up the line, it froze, and I couldn’t move it.  All I thought of was that I had hooked under an old stove.  Don’t know why I thought of it but I did.  Then I felt a tug on the line!  I set the hook and felt it start up.  I remembered what Wayne had said and I stretched that 30-lb. test line as I got it started up toward the hole.  I didn’t stop; just kept it coming.  I looked down the hole as the fish’s head came up.  I couldn’t believe it!  I pulled him up onto the ice.  It was the biggest togue I’d ever caught and it looked like a monster to me!  I measured and weighed it later.
     It was 28” long and weighed 10 lbs.  I had to let out the old Hooppalonion hunting cry…Ya! Hoo!  Dana came over to see it and Wayne said, “Don’t leave that line!”  He just got back and saw his line stripping out.  He pulled it out and yelled, “A beauty!”  It weighed 6 lbs.  Soon after I saw Wayne yank his line then walk backwards, hanging onto the line.  He stopped and went hand over hand to the hole.  The fish must have been just under the ice as he gave one big flip and pulled it clear of the hole.  As the fish cleared the hole he plugged the hole with his foot.  His was almost identical to mine.
     We were all happy fishermen.  We had all the fish we wanted.  After looking the lake over once more, we strapped on our snowshoes, headed home, and got there in time for supper.  When we got to the Jct. we had to stop at the store to show off our fish.
     After supper I thanked Dana’s mother for the good meals and said so long to Wayne and Dana then headed home.  I finally got my togue out of my truck and admitted that there was someone who knew a lot more about catching big togue from Lobster Lake that I did.
     My togue is mounted and on the wall at camp.

“The Old Whittler”

The Penquis Valley High School softball team would like to thank the American Legion Post #41 in Brownville for their generous donation.  We purchased new helmets and other equipment.

From Grammie McCleary’s weather diary.

MARCH – 1981
23-Sunny windy-48° at 12 (noon).
24-Sunny windy-50° at 12.
25-Sunny windy-42° at 12.
26-Sunny windy-52° at 12.
27-Cloudy-42° at 12.
28-Sunny windy-52° at 12.
29-Rain in night Cloudy windy PM-63° at 2 pm.

Page 8

Page 9



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at The Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Nancy Grant or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     Vice-president Murrel Harris welcomed twenty members today and Key Club members Kayla Bailey and Dawn Patton.
     Roy Bither led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Dunham asked for guidance for our world leaders and special thoughts for those in need.
     Kathy Witham read an inspirational message about life being a gift not a right.
     Newsletters from the Orono/Old Town and Dover-Foxcroft Kiwanis clubs were shared.  Lt. Gov. Wood had praise for our club in his Division 2 newsletter from March 12 for having a large increase in membership during the past 10 years and for being at the Ruby level in the multiple service project category.
     Birthday wishes go out to Susan Almy on the 20th and Rachel Almy on the 21st.
     Nine happy dollars were donated for Ed’s recovery coming along fine, JSI as the top small business in Maine, Wrestlemania, and the hope that Maine will win Hockey East!!  One sad dollar was given for not attending the Maine game.
     Trish Hayes told us that the Key Club is holding a raffle to benefit the Dreams for Maine Kids project.  A few of the members will be helping to serve dinner at the Manna Food Cupboard in Bangor.  They are also getting an act together for the Variety Show on April 2 and 3.
     Val Robertson is planning the next Kiwanis Kid’s Korner event at the Milo Free Public Library on April 7.
     Roy Bither is planning interclub visits to area clubs in the upcoming weeks and would like to know who can attend and when.

     Paul Grindle came today prepared with order forms for the Community Calendars.  The cost is only $5.00 and includes 5 listings with each additional listing for 25¢.  They are available from any Kiwanis member.
     Kathy Witham reported that everything is coming along great for the Variety Show.
     Our speakers today were Kiwanis members Felix and Jan Blinn.  They shared the memories of their recent visit with their son Joe in Japan.  He is a Naval high frequency electronic technician on the USS Cushing.  Their daughter and 9 year-old granddaughter traveled with them.
     Felix told us that everyone speaks English.  The major religions are Shinto, Buddhism, and Christianity and many belong to more than one.  During the Christmas season Christianity is much more evident.  They seem to favor Christian weddings, which cost an average of $55,000.  Maybe this is why the divorce rate is low!  The temples are made up of many buildings with a central courtyard.
     They said that the Japanese people are VERY polite, honest, and law-abiding.  People visiting Tokyo shouldn’t worry about their personal belongings but should be careful to walk only in the pedestrian crossing!  All of the cars and trucks are much smaller than those in the US; even the same models of vehicles in our country.  People come to work the city on trains that run on time and swell the population to 55 million during the day.
     Felix was interested in the business aspect of the city but said the business offices were very small and might have six employees occupying the space.  Felix and Jan chuckled when they told us about the bamboo forest.  We picture large tracts of land in Maine with thousands of trees but this forest wouldn’t fill the two front rooms of The Restaurant!  They also told us that Tokyo is so efficient at recycling trash that they have used it to build a 120-acre island in Tokyo Bay.
     It was no surprise that baseball is a huge sport in Japan!
     Because of the date and time of their return they were able to celebrate Christmas twice!
     We thoroughly enjoyed the dolls, swords, lacquered boxes, and plates they brought with them this morning.  The artwork was truly magnificent!
     Thank you for sharing your memories with us.

Page 9

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance