Three Rivers News, 2003-10-21

     This little sweetie is the latest of the abandoned animals living at the Robertson household. Bandit is a husky/pit bull mix, is VERY well behaved and loves to ride! We have had him since early Thursday morning, when he was dropped off or wandered to Julie Gallagher’s house. It just breaks my heart to think that someone isn’t looking for him. If you think you recognize him and may know who he belongs to, give me a call at 943-2324.
     The above situation serves to illustrate how badly the area needs a shelter for our lost or abandoned pets. The dream of our P.A.W.S. building is quickly becoming a reality. A group of wonderful folks has been formed and we are so pleased that donations have been pouring in. I am making plans to meet with those that will be involved with the purchase of the building we hope to use, and I have complete confidence that we will be making a deal in the very near future. I have sent for a shelter license and have been contacted by area veterinarians, who offered their help.
     One thing I have to stress is that NO town money or taxpayer money is going to be used to establish or maintain the shelter. I am surprised to find out that there are a tiny number of misinformed folks who are worried about the Town of Milo financing the shelter. That is not our intent. Thank goodness there have only been two people that have voiced these concerns, so I believe that most understand what is planned. If you have any questions about the shelter and what we plan to do, give me a call at 943-2324. I will be more than happy to fill you in on the facts!

(Continued on page 7)

     Left to right: Chris Prickitt, Joe Kennedy, Nellie Kennedy, and Steve Chaisson.
     Evergreen will be featured at the Coffeehouse, sponsored by the Three Rivers Kiwanis, on October 25, 2003 from 7 to 9 pm at the Milo Town Hall Arts Center. This multi-talented and entertaining group has a repertoire that includes bluegrass, folk, blues, old time, country, swing, and jazz music. They play oldies, new songs, and original music. Their love for song is evident and their camaraderie comes through with their good-natured onstage bantering.
     Mark your calendars for Saturday, October 25, for an evening of fun. Tickets are only $8 per person and are available from any Kiwanian. There will be homemade desserts and coffee on sale for you to enjoy while you tap your toes. Drawings will be held for many beautiful door prizes.

     The proceeds realized from the Coffeehouse will go toward the Gazebo Fund.

St. John's plans Public Baked Bean Supper
     On November 1st from 5:00pm to 6:30pm there will be a public Baked Bean Supper held at St. John's. The menu will include ham, baked beans, assorted casseroles, cole slaw, pickles, assorted desserts and coffee/tea/punch. The cost for the meal is $6.00 for adults and $3.00 for children 12 and under.
     The Church Women will have RADA knives on sale during the supper. All proceeds benefit the congregation of St. John's.

     The Milo Historical Society would like to acknowledge and thank the volunteers who gave their time to keep the museum open during the months of July and August. Joanne DeWitt, Shirlene Ladd, Rose Carlson and Helen Carey were all very faithful in being at the museum on their assigned days. A special thank you to Joanne and Shirlene for helping to clean the museum before we opened for the summer and for continuing to come in this fall and catalog and tag new items and who also willingly do any job that needs to be done.
     We also would like to thank JSI Store Fixtures for the wonderful display cases, tables and Plexiglas cases given to the museum this year. These quality display cases improve the looks of the museum and are of great help in exhibiting our artifacts.
     We wish to extend our special thanks to Nelson London for allowing us to display his wood duck carvings during the summer. Our visitors truly enjoyed seeing his talented work.
Gwen Bradeen, Curator

Page 1

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings


MON. OCT. 27





Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. The Pleasant River has (a) one (b) (c) three (d) four branch(es).
2. Cecil Miller attended (a) Skowhegan Business School (b) Bangor School of Commerce (c) Higgins (d) Colby.
3. There he played (a) baseball (b) soccer (c) rugby (d) football.
4. (a) Sumner Fish (b) Bert Perkins (c) Harry Ladd (d) Arthur Grant showed silent movies.
5. The Herrick Hotel once served as a (a) school (b) hospital (c) factory (d) museum.
6. The YMCA once served as a (a) hospital (a) Civil Defense Center (c) school (d) railroad museum/
7. (a) Tom Lockhart (b) Wayne Kirby (c) Jack Brown (d) Pete Meulendyke started all four years of high school in both baseball and basketball.
8. Sam Cohen's wife's name was (a) Mary (b) Holly (c) Dolly (d) Joan.
9. BJHS was built at a cost of (a) $500 (b) $785 (c) $1,250 (d) $3,000/
10.John Heath was Brownville's first white (a) town manager (b) constable (c) settler (d) game warden.

Answers: 1-c 2-b 3-d 4--b 5-a 6-a 7-a 8-c 9-c 10-c

The Brownville Jct. United Methodist Church
is having it's annual
Fall Fair
on November 1st,
from 9:00 AM until 1:00 PM.
There will be food, candy,
toy, crafts, white elephant and book tables.
There will also be a lunch
served from 11:00 until 1:00. The lunch will consist of assorted sandwiches, pie, coffee or punch.


McKenzie / McMahon
     MEDFORD - Ken and Lori McKenzie of Brownville Jct. are pleased to announce the engagement their daughter Jennifer Lynn McKenzie to Ricky McMahon, son of Richard McMahon of Medford and Garnett McMahon of Arkansas.
     Jenn and Ricky graduated from Penquis Valley High School class of 2000. Jenn went to Beal College in Bangor and is employed by Trask Insurance of Milo. Ricky is employed by McMahon and Sons Building Inc. of Medford. A wedding is planned for Sept. 4, 2004.

will be flushing the hydrant system
October 20,2003 to October 31,2003.
You may experience low water pressure
or discoloration during this period.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Page 2

     Only four cars left Milo on the morning of Sunday, October 12th, for the Penquis Cruizers' fall cruise but by the time the group got to its first stop in Howland the size of the group had doubled. Every autumn the group heads off from Milo to parts unknown. The trips take participants between 150 and 200 miles over some of central Maine's lesser known and lesser traveled roads.
     This year President Fred Worcester had mapped out a route that took the group down the Joe Raymond Road and over to Maxfield. The first stop for the group was at Audrey's Treasure Barn in Howland. Shopping and coffee were on the agenda. The ride down along the river through Argyle was very pretty. In to Old Town, back through to Hudson, and on to more "less traveled" roads the group went. It was back on the main road for a minute or two as the group slid through Kenduskeag and ended up in Levant at Treworgy's Apple Orchard. There was some apple buying (the picking season was just about over) and pumpkin picking. Finally, everyone piled back in their automobiles and headed out once again. After a few more twists and turns, dinner at Scotty's Restaurant in Newport was the reward!
     Everyone who ventured out with the Cruizers commented on the beautiful scenery. It was a great day for a trip and it's always relaxing and refreshing to take some time and enjoy Maine's natural beauty with friends.

The Cruizers on the road

The adventure seeking Cruizers at the Orchard

Moose Permit Filled
     Toby Richards, son of Donald and Janet Richards, was lucky enough to be drawn for the 2003 Moose Hunting season. His permit was for a cow only in the northern zone, which included Patten.
     Toby, his father and Bob Ellison all ventured north to Patten Sunday afternoon. The beautiful foliage was a slight distraction as they scouted on Sunday, hunted hard Monday and scored Tuesday morning around 7:30 am. Toby was so excited after shooting, that his father gave him a high five and he missed his fathers hand twice!

Page 3

     Bob Ellison was a huge help and a big thanks goes to him. The hunters logged 441 miles and that's just what the moose weighed. For those who have never been, long tiring days are a must and they were glad to have their moose on Tuesday.
     Toby's brother, Troy, was lucky enough to be drawn for a permit in 1995 and shot a nice bull. His comment from Afghanistan (he is stationed there on Guard duty) was "Mine was bigger". Father is still waiting to be drawn! Congratulations Tob!

NOVEMBER 15TH, 2003 (Saturday)

Turkey with "ALL" the fixings, plus apple crisp/ice cream/coffee

Time: 5:00 - 7:00
Where: Cook School in LaGrange
Adults: $5.00 Kids 12-: $2.50
Benefits: Marion C. Cook School PTO


Call Marilyn Lyford 943-2342 or 943-2196

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     We had a nearly perfect Saturday yesterday. The weather was spectacular for mid-October. I started the weekend with a spanking clean house thanks to my little Angie who meticulously gets things vacuumed, dusted, scrubbed and cleaned on Friday. It's like a magic fairy arrives when I'm away at work on Friday and turns my house from topsy turvy to spicky clean. The house smells fresh and clean and we begin the task of messing it up again for her the next week. She calls that job security. I can't imagine this little lady shooting a moose next week....but that's just exactly what she's intending to do.
     My little lassies who have moved back to Maine from over across the ocean came to spend the day with their father....and hence a nice visit with Nannie and Buppa. They have grown many inches since last we saw them, and I was totally amazed by their second teeth. They had fun with their cousins, too, who found them and their little Brit accents quite unique. I suspect that now that they are back in the USA they will eventually lose their little accent, but we'll enjoy the little brogue while it lasts.
     We celebrated my husband's birthday on Saturday night at The Restaurant enjoying their fine dining experience. What a lovely evening Chucky and Joi and Tom and the other staff provided for us. I had a spinach salad that had mandarin orange slices and sliced purple onion on it. It was dressed with an unbelievably tasty dressing. Joi did share her secret dressing with me...but I will hold off broadcasting it until I get permission from her to do so. The yeast rolls were knotted and absolutely delicious. They served them with honey butter, and my family went nuts over them.
     My entree was Cornish game hen, wild rice and glazed baby carrots. There were several other choices; but

because I had tried the prime rib the last time we went, I decided to try something different this time. My dessert choice was cheesecake, however, the rest of the family had the snowball...which was a raspberry something or other in the bottom of the small bowl topped with orange sherbet and then topped again with meringue that had been toasted. This was an elegant and scrumptious ending to the meal. The tables looked so elegant with their linens, nice silver and wine glasses. Candlelight and fall arrangements added to the ambiance of the room. I thought that we could have been in the fanciest restaurant anywhere on earth. It was nice to be out with my children and their spouses (or spouse-to-be in Leslie's case) at such a fine place....everyone happy and having such a good time. And the very best part of the experience was that we were home within 5 minutes. Just as quick as that......right here in Milo, Maine....elegant dining and then home in the blink of an kind of evening.
     The day continued to amaze us when our man Tony Stewart won the NASCAR race. Our daughter and her family are probably the biggest Tony Stewart fans in town...if you don't count Kim Morrill. The Home Depot gets tons of free advertising in Milo. They've not only made fans of my husband and I, but my brother is also hooked on the sport.
     Yes, it was very nearly a perfect day. Except for one dramatic and torturous thing. I'm sure that anyone who knows my husband knows that the Red Sox losing their game was a killer. I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this house will be in a state of turmoil until their fate is sealed one way or the other. I found this interesting list on my computer. It puts into perspective how long these dear men have been waiting for a championship.
     Since the Boston Red Sox have won the World Series:
  • Halley's Comet passed Earth . . . TWICE.
  • We landed on the moon.
  • The radio and TV were invented.
  • Prohibition was created and repealed.
  • The United States has had 15 Presidents.
  • Alaska, Arizona, Hawaii, New Mexico and Oklahoma were admitted to the Union.
  • Women won the right to vote.
  • George Burns celebrated his 20th, 30th, 40th, 50th, 60th, 70th, 80th, 90th and 100th birthday.
  • World War I, World War II, the Korean and Viet Nam Wars, Operation Dessert Storm and Operation Iraqi Freedom have been fought.
  • The Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union occurred.
  • The Boston Bruins, Boston Celtics and New England Patriots were founded and have each won their respective league's championships (5, 16 and 1, respectively).

     Now don't you think that it would be a good thing if this tradition of losing could come to an end? It would make the people in this household happy, that's for sure!
     Next weekend we will be traveling to New Hampshire to spend the weekend with the cousins. We're hoping that the weather will prevail and that the foliage won't have passed us by. I plan on leaving early on Friday and shopping my way to New Hampshire. With any luck I will have lots of my Christmas shopping done by the time I return on Sunday. I'm also hoping to make my yearly stop at Rowe's House of Apples in Newport either on the way out or on the way home. I must have my treat of apples,

Page 4

cheese, donuts, fudge and apple cider. Probably we'll try to stop when we're on our way and that will give us a nice picnic to enjoy at lunchtime. I usually buy some of Rowe's delicious salad dressings, pickles and syrups to put away for gifts during the holidays. I'll be glad when I'm retired and can get back to making some of those things myself for gift giving.
     If you are starting to think about gift giving....This is a recipe that I've mixed up and given many times, dressed up in sweet little decorated canning jelly jars.

Spiced Tea Mix

1/2 cup powdered orange juice crystals (such as Tang, but I've used just the store brand
orange drink mix.)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons instant tea granules with lemon
1/2-teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4-teaspoon ground cloves
     Pour orange crystals into jar with tight fitting lid. Spoon sugar over orange crystals. Combine tea, cinnamon and cloves in a small cup. Spoon over orange crystals. Makes 1 1/4 cups. To each jar that you give attach a card that reads: Directions for Spiced Tea:
     Stir contents of jar before measuring. Measure 2 teaspoon into a mug. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir. Serves 1

A Historical Review - Part 1
Forty Years is a Long Time
Observer, Edna Bradeen, April 30, 1980
     Lakeview -- Gladys Newman of Lakeview became eligible to vote on her 21st birthday back in 1940. At the same time she was elected to her first public office, that of town clerk for Lakeview, a position she has continued to hold throughout the years. As she goes into her 40th year of service, she laughingly says, "There really isn't much to do since there are no births, marriages or deaths in Lakeview." She said in the past 39 years she has recorded under 10 births, probably 10 marriages and six deaths. Her busy times as town clerk are at town meetings and elections.
     Lakeview, once a busy mill town with its own school, post 0ffice, hotel, company houses and a doctor, became a sleepy little community when the American Thread Co. moved out, with possibly a dozen families in residence when Mrs. Newman became town clerk.
     In 1940, Lakeview had a one-room schoolhouse, at which Mrs. Newman served as janitor. When it closed in 1945 she became bus driver, making two trips daily to Milo to deliver and pick up students at school. She continued this routine for the next 24 years.
     She said, "Many times I would make a third trip to take the kids to ballgames." At that time, the road from Lakeview to Milo had a gravel surface with all the woes of mud holes in the spring. At times Mrs. Newman said, "I would let the children walk over the worst of the holes while she carefully drove the car through, holding my breath that I would make it without a broken spring." After a while the road would become impassable and the children would be boarded at Milo. Today the road has a paved surface, making traveling easier.
     The lady also served as a substitute mail carrier. Mud season also added to the problem of getting the mail through.
     She recalls how she would walk out from Lakeview to meet the regular carrier at Alder Brook. At the time Chellis Mitchell was the regular carrier and he would arrive from Milo on horseback, or Mrs. Newman said, "More often walking and leading the horse through the mudholes." She recalls how at times he would have built a small fire and would have hot tea when she arrived. After exchanging news we would part company and I would go back to Lakeview with the mail.(Continued next week)

River Cruise Part 2
     After our first lunch on board, I was a little sleepy because I hadn’t slept on the plane. I took an hour nap and then joined the others in the lounge to socialize with some of the other passengers.
     About 3 we noticed Mary and Heather returning to the ship from shopping. At 6 our tour directors gave us some housekeeping details. One that I thought was a good one was that when leaving the ship, we were to leave our key at the desk. They hang them up and can tell instantly who is ashore. This is important because the ship leaves port at odd times and they want to make sure everyone is on board.
     At 7 we had our first dinner. It was typical Dutch. We had Dutch shrimp and apple salad served with mayonnaise, cream, ketchup and brandy cocktail sauce. Then we had Dutch mustard cream soup with smoked sausage. Our next course was fillet of red mullet with white wine sauce and orange lentil ragout and parsley potatoes. Our main course was fried medallion of pork with natural juice served with Hotchpotch of endive and salsify. For dessert we had Dutch pottertjes (puffed pancakes), crepes with advocat sauce and ice cream.
     Most of the people changed tables with each meal so they could meet more people. Since there were six of us we tended to stay together. Our waiter was Constantine. He was from Romania. After coffee, most of the passengers headed for bed to catch up on some sleep.
Friday June 8th
     Janet woke me at 6:15. We called the girls and made it to breakfast at 6:45. All the breakfasts were about the same. We had our choice of 4 or 5 cereals, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, rolls, cheeses, cold cuts, juices, yogurt and a special of the day like waffles, crepes, etc.
     At 8 we met in the lounge for a briefing on Amsterdam before our bus tour. Amsterdam gets its name from the fact that it originally was built on a marsh protected by a dam at the mouth of the Amstel River hence Amstelldamme. The old part of the city has nine canals that form semicircles from the focal point at Centraal Station. The old city is protected from any new construction and the modern city is built around it. This is true for most of the cities we visited. The old city has 552 bridges crossing the canals. They are all high enough to allow small boats to navigate beneath them. We boarded our buses for a tour of the city. It was interesting to see the buildings, as they tended to lean. Since there is no firm ground in the city, the buildings are built on wooden pilings. Amsterdam, like all of The Netherlands, is on a huge delta formed by many converging rivers. It is all silt with hardly any stones as big as your fingernail. We passed the Anne Frank house that is now a museum. We visited the home on our previous trip. We saw windmills outside the city. Most of the windmills are now for the tourists. Modern diesel engines, which don’t depend on the wind, do the work of keeping the water pumped off the land. We learned that the Dutch underground used the placement of the blades of the windmills as a way of signaling during WWII. The Germans never caught on.
     Mary and Heather didn’t take the bus tour with us, as they wanted to visit a famous park with its sculpture that was not on the tour. Louise explained to them which buses to take and how to catch up with us. We all got back together outside a diamond factory where we saw how diamonds were graded and polished. Some of the more wealthy among us purchased a few. We then hopped a canal boat and were taken to the Rijksmuseum. It is one of the most famous museums in Europe and houses the works of the Dutch Masters including Fans Hals, Jan Steen, Jan Vermeer and Rembrandt. Rembrandt’s Night Watch is hung inside. Night Watch is HUGE! It has survived having about 3 feet cut off in 1775, being slashed in 1975 and having acid thrown on it in 1990. Besides paintings the museum also has European sculpture, delftware, silverwork, glassware, furniture and
Page 5

tapestries. Adjacent to the Rijksmuseum is one devoted entirely to Van Gogh.
     At 12:30, we boarded a bus to return to the ship for lunch. When we boarded we were given a drink called a Rhinewater Cocktail. It consisted of fruit juices and had the color of dirty water. It was thirst quenching.
     The boat was supposed to leave on our arrival at 1PM. Some of the passengers had lost luggage and we had to wait for it. The captain was a little concerned as appointments have to be made to get through the locks on our way up the Rhine and he was afraid we might miss the first one.
     We were served lunch. Lunches on this trip were all buffet style. The waiters served drinks only. Lunch consisted of assorted salads, cold cuts and cheeses, carrot soup, roasted chicken or lamb, vegetables and potatoes, farfalle al’ Gorgonzola and assorted desserts. Thomas Fuch, the Maitre d’hotel visited our table. My sister Mary explained her allergy to food additives and he said he would take care of her. During the trip he would bring her something special if she couldn’t have what the rest of us were having.
     After the stray baggage arrived, we set sail up the Rhine. It was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon. We didn’t feel any motion as we passed by fields of cattle and sheep and looked at the quaint little villages along the way. There was always a dike beside to separate the river from fields surrounded by ditches of water and pumps to return the water to the river.
Next week: Cologne (Koln)

     WELLINGTON - Rosie M. Stewart, 97, died Oct. 15, 2003, at a Dexter health care facility. She was born Sept. 4, 1906, in Hebron, daughter of Thomas and Jennie (Pratt) Cowett. She worked for several of the local mills. Rosie enjoyed knitting, crocheting, tending her flower gardens and loved to go hunting. She was predeceased by her husband, Maynard Stewart. She is survived by 11 children, Joseph and his wife, Lois Stewart, of Athens, Frances Libby, Julia and Richard Norton, and Arthur and his wife, June Stewart, all of Harmony, Gloria and her husband, Duane Coburn, of Brownville Jct., Mildred and her husband, Warren Thompson, Henry Stewart, Phyllis and her husband, Floyd Wood, Dorothy Packard, Glenwood and his wife, Charlotte Stewart, and Leo and his wife, Mae Stewart, all of Wellington; many nieces and nephews including a special nephew, Danny Guimond of Boston; many grandchildren, great grandchildren, great-great grandchildren. Those who wish may make donations in her memory to the Wellington Evangelical Community Church, care of Pastor Levi Pratt, P.O. Box 40, Harmony, ME 04942.

     MILO - Mazie I. (Tucker) Chase, 76, died Oct. 11, 2003, surrounded by her loving family at her daughter's residence in Milo. She was born Aug. 20, 1927, in Webster Plantation, the daughter of Ernest and Emily (Curtis) Tucker. She is survived by her loving husband of 57 years, Vernon I. Chase; a daughter, Joyce Ross and husband, Louren, of Milo; a son, Bruce Chase and wife, Brenda, of Israel; a sister, Nita Daigle, of Lincoln; a brother, Wayne Tucker, of Arizona; grandchildren, Michael, Rebecca, Lori, Deborah, Penny, Sam, Ricky, Eric, Benjamin, Sarah; and 13 great-grandchildren. She was predeceased by a daughter, Carol Rhodes, infant daughter, Wynona, two brothers, Vernon and Ralph, and a sister, Grace. Graveside memorial services will be private.

     MILO - Corinne A. Langevine, 81, died peacefully at her home Oct. 11, 2003, after a brief illness. She was born March 21, 1922,

in Old Town, the daughter of Albert and Alvina (Belanger) Cyr. She attended Milo High School. In her earlier years Corinne was employed in the office of Dr. A.M. Carde and then at Penobscot Shoe Co. in Old Town. During World War II, she served as a volunteer "plane spotter" for the Civil Defense Center in Milo. Corinne later worked as a baker in the cafeteria at Penquis Valley High School. She was a faithful member of St. Paul's Catholic Church and the American Legion Auxiliary. Corinne was a dedicated wife, mother, grandmother, great-grand-mother, sister and aunt. Her happiest times were when she and her husband were hosting large family gatherings during the holidays. She also enjoyed making crafts and playing the organ for relaxation. Family members enjoyed gathering in the living room as she played peppy tunes after serving a delicious holiday meal for as many as 30 family members. She also enjoyed vacationing with her family. She was predeceased by her first husband, Charnel A. Gero, in 1965. She is survived by her husband of 33 years, Clarence G. Langevine of Milo; two daughters, Carole Ellis and husband, Peter, of Gloversville, N.Y., Linda Decker and husband, David, of North Yarmouth; a son, Dennis Gero and wife, Debbie, of Milo; two brothers, Eddie Cyr and wife, Eleanor, of Milo, Ronald Cyr of Brownville; five grandchildren, Tammy Woosley and husband, Butch, of Gloversville, N.Y., Nichole Howell and husband, Christopher, of Cumberland, Amy Adams and husband, Benjamin, of Falmouth, Jason Decker and wife, Kimberly, of Newton, Mass., Kyle Gero of Milo; two step-grandchildren, Hillary Winslow of Portland, Corey Jordan of Chester; seven great-grandchildren, Joshua, Micah, Christie, Jonathan, and Seth, all of Gloversville, N.Y., Caleb and Aaron of Cumberland; two nieces, Lisa Buchanan of Charleston, Amber Bacheldar of Monmouth; a nephew, Joel Cyr of Dover-Foxcroft. Corinne also leaves behind her faithful friend and caregiver, Wanda Freese. Corinne was greatly loved and will be greatly missed by all who knew her.. Those who wish may make memorial contributions to Joseph P. Chaisson American Legion Post No. 41, West Main St., Milo, ME 04463.

     The Blue Star Service Banner originating during World War I represents one family member serving in the armed services. The banner displayed in the front window of a home, shows a family’s pride in their loved one serving in the military, and reminds others that preserving America’s freedom demands much.
     Joseph P. Chaisson American Legion Post # 41 provides a static cling version of the banner that can be easily attached to a home window to any area family having a family member presently serving in the military service, which also includes National Guard who has been activated. The name of the serving member, branch of service and their immediate family will also be posted at the American Legion Post Main Hall. Inquiries can be made at 943-2542 or by writing the Post. Any area resident wishing to donate to the Blue Star Banner Program may do so by mailing your donation to the Post at PO Box 177, Milo, ME.

From Grammie McCleary’s weather book.
OCTOBER – 1992
21st-Rain-36° in the am and 38° in the pm.
22nd-Rain am Mostly cloudy pm-38° am and 32° pm.
23rd-Frost-P sunny am Sunny pm-26° in the am and 54° at 8 pm.
24th-Rain all day-40° in the am and 44° in the pm.
25th-Rain all day-36° in the am and 37° in the pm.
26th-Fair am Cloudy pm-36° in the am and 38° in the pm.
27th-Sunny & Cloudy windy cold-34° in the am and 34° in the pm.

Page 6



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at The Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Nancy Grant or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President Joe Zamboni greeted twenty-three members today.
     Roy led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb asked for prayers to be said for those in need.
     Edwin was our inspirational reader this morning. He told us about a Vietnamese Buddhist monk who said to ask what is not wrong instead of what is wrong. Ed also quoted Ralph Waldo Emerson, “Everyone is entitled to be valued by their best moments.”
     Newsletters from the Dover and Orono Kiwanis clubs were circulated.
     Happy anniversary to Chris and Sue Almy on October 21st!
     Eleven happy and sad dollars were donated today for a growing gazebo fund, officer installations over, working with kids, Music Man, moose permit fulfilled, phone calls, not as much fun being a baseball fan when your team isn’t winning, and of course the Yankees and Red Sox!
     The newspaper is going strong. A new printer will be needed at some point in the future. A fund raising suggestion was made to possibly have businesses or individuals make a donation to the Three Rivers News. This would enable them to have sponsorship of the entire back page.
     Thank you to Avis Spear and the Milo Farmer’s Union for their donations to the gazebo fund.
     Tickets are available from Kiwanians for the Coffeehouse on October 25.
     Val reported that the Kiwanis Kid’s Korner will have a Halloween party next week, October 22.
     Roy’s Black Bear hockey tickets were auctioned today and the lucky winners are Heidi Finson for the Friday night game and Paul Grindle for the Saturday game. Forty dollars were realized from the auction and will go toward the gazebo fund. Your generosity is appreciated, Roy.
     Many of the club’s committees were discussed and we agreed that some of them should be combined or deleted.
     Edwin expressed the desire to teach one or more Kiwanians how to operate the sound and light equipment at the Arts Center.
     There will be a meeting on Monday, October 20, at 6:30 pm at the home of Cheryl Hamlin to further plans for the fruit sale in December. She said that this would be a great activity to share with the Key Club.
     Heidi informed us that the Reading is Fundamental book distribution is planned for October 28 and 29. Please contact her if you would like to help.
     Kiwanis is planning the third annual Veteran’s Thanksgiving Dinner that will be held at the Milo Town Hall dining room at noon. Help is needed for preparation, setting up, serving, and clean up. Please contact Murrel Harris at 943-7326 to make reservations. ALL area Veterans and those presently in the service are more than welcome. This is OUR way of saying Thank You.
     The guest speaker for next week will be Joyce Perry from Mayo Hospice.

     Besides being busy picking up strays, we’ve been trying to get an addition built on the chicken/goat stall, to house the ducks. They are currently being locked up at night in a chain-link dog kennel, right outside the bedroom window. Ducks are easily excited, so their constant quacking during the night makes sleeping a bit difficult. Add eight half-wild kittens running around the bedroom to that mix and you can understand why we want the ducks inside the stall and away from the bedroom window.
     Now for an update on the cat situation. Julie has been doing cat/kitten adoptions at a good pace. All of the kittens and the mother cat from the Medford Road have been placed in homes. The five kittens from the woodshed on the Sleeper Road have been placed, and their mother, Sherbet, is getting spayed in a few weeks and will be up for adoption the middle of November. She has become the friendliest loving cat imaginable. I am working on taming a mother cat and her kittens from under Maria Landry’s porch, as they are still quite shy, and unadoptable. I am also working with a mother and her kittens that were trapped on the Millinocket Road in Brownville. And then there’s the mother and two kittens that were abandoned at The Field Of Dreams in Brownville. There is hope for those kittens getting tame, as they were very young when I got them.
Also in our bedroom is Chloe, a one-eyed calico from Pleasant Street in Brownville, and Sabrina, a young black cat I rescued from Gould Street.
And last but not least is Sammie, a wonderful little black and white female found in Peter and Chris Hamlin’s garage on Clinton Street. She is so affectionate and we just love her ! I know she has to go to a home, but it will be a bit sad when she does. Actually, I am always a bit sad when each of them go, you get really attached to kitties that sleep with you every night.
     The total of the strays in our bedroom is at eight kittens and 5 full-grown females. No, wait, I’ve forgotten one ! Andy, the bobtail gray fellow that was hit by a car in front of The Restaurant is also in there. He has to be locked in a big dog kennel, as his pelvis is broken and he needs to be quiet, but he is eating well, and seems to be more comfortable than he was. It’s so sad that no one has come forward to claim him. Another example of people treating cats as if they are disposable.
     The other “stray” at the house is a pigeon named Floppy. I picked him up about six weeks ago, when Darlene Ricker called from the Superintendent’s office on West Main Street in Milo, and said there was a hurt pigeon by that building. His wing was bloody, and he had a huge cut on it. Kirby thinks he must have been struck by a car’s antenna. The wound has healed, but his wing is useless, so I can’t let him go. We tried to find a bird sanctuary to send him to, but none of the rehabilitators in our area take pigeons, so he’s living in a bird cage in our living room. He seems to have settled in, and actually enjoys watching the activity and the TV.
     Well, I’ve got to go let the goats out and give them their breakfast. I’ve got to make sure they are plenty big and ?fluffy? before cold weather sets in.

Page 7

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance