Three Rivers News, 2003-09-09



     Every week more kittens become available for adoption. These sweeties were found, along with their very young calico mother, on the Medford Road. They are at least nine weeks old and can be adopted NOW! All I ask is that you are a responsible adult and that you enter into an agreement to provide yearly immunizations and that you spay or neuter your new kitten as soon as possible.
     There will be a batch ready in two weeks. That bunch consists of black and white babies and two gray darlings found at the Katahdin Country Club golf course here in Milo.
     And not to be forgotten are the five kittens and their very distinctively colored young mother who were found on the Sleeper Road. This bunch will be ready in five weeks and bear a striking resemblance to their ?cousins? in the above photos. I would like to remind folks that abandoning pets is against the law, besides being cruel.
     For those of you who have been asking where my columns have been, the photos above show you part of the reason. I have been so busy with animal abuse calls, abandoned animal calls, and stray dog calls that I literally have not had time to write.
     Rest assured that our animal family is doing wonderfully, despite the fact that every spare room or corner is being used to house families of cats. We have added a few more chickens to our flock, because believe it or not, two weeks ago I had to rescue 40 hens, chicks, and roosters! I found a home for them and ended up keeping about 10. Who can keep count these days!

     The eggs from my Guineas are due to hatch next weekend, but I’m not even sure I have a male, so we’ll see how that goes. There is a huge demand for the tick-eating Guinea fowl in other areas, so when the tick population starts getting out of hand in these parts, I’ll be ready.
     The mama cat that lives in our bedroom has an interesting story. Three weeks ago I was told of an abandoned, pregnant cat on the Sleeper Road. We set a live trap and to Katie’s and my surprise, we caught the cat. Upon examination we determined she wasn’t pregnant and she didn’t look as if she had just had kittens, so we took her to our house and released her in Ben’s old bedroom. She was so wild!! After attacking my hand and giving me some pretty deep scratches and bites, she headed off to a hiding spot and I didn’t see her for 3 days. I knew she was eating and drinking and using the litter-box, so I decided to let her be comfy, warm and well fed for a while before I took her to the shelter.
     That was on a Saturday and the following Tuesday I was checking out at Rite Aid when Judy Morrison said ”Val, you’re just the person I wanted to see!”
     That sentence has become very popular in my new world of Animal Welfare.
     “What’s up”?, has become my usual response.
     “I have a camp on the end of the Sleeper Road and I think there are kittens in my woodshed.”
     Oh my God! I just knew they were the kittens from my now non-pregnant mother, and I knew I was directly responsible for taking a mother from her newborn kittens. I felt as if ice water was running through my veins as I sped towards the Sleeper Road, after making a quick stop at Reuben’s for a teeny baby bottle and some kitten formula. Continued on page 3.

Thanks to all….
     The American Legion Post # 41 would like to thank everyone who contributed to the success of their food sale, either by donating items or buying the goodies.

     The Three Rivers Kiwanis will be sponsoring a Children’s Theater under the direction of Stephanie Gillis. The group will meet and perform at the Milo Town Hall’s Performing Arts Center on Mondays after school from 3 to 4 PM starting on September 15th.
     The group will meet for at least 10 weeks, with the program culminating with a performance of “Tom Sawyer”, which will be open to the public. Students in grades 4-6 are invited to join, and the cost is $10.00 per student. To register or for more information call Stephanie Gillis at 943-2470

Page 1

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings






From left to right are Karen (Farrar) Bunker, Cookie (Pray) Farrar, Amy (Bunker) Campbell, Hunter Ryan Campbell, Liona (Kennedy-Pray) Speed

     Five Generations are embraced by Mrs. Liona (Pray) Speed for the second time this summer. Four month's ago her daughter, Lillian and husband, Allen Mclean became great grandparents. This time her daughter, Cookie and her husband Vaughn Farrar, also became great grandparents. On August 2, 2003, little Hunter Ryan Campbell was born to Amy Bunker Campbell, daughter of Karen Farrar Bunker.
     The Farrar household was thrilled with their little new grandson and you can guess he will gets lots and lots of attention. Many congratulations go to Liona on her second great great grandchild and congratulations to Cookie and Vaughn upon the arrival of their first great grandson. You can guess that Lillian and Cookie will be having lots of fun with their"brag" books to show off their little ones.

Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1.The Brown House had (a) 5 (b) 7 (c) 9 (d) 12 fireplaces.
2. Onawa is (a) north (b) east (c) west (d) south of Brownville Junction.
3. Brownville Junction was once called (a) Topsfield (b) Henderson (c) North Brownville (d) Branch Town.
4. Chatauquas were held in the (a) summer (b) fall (c) winter (d) spring
5. Alice Graves and Doris Chase were (a) teachers (b) singers (c) bakers (d) telephone operators.
6. Lefty Strout played in the minors at (a) Boston (b) Fredericton (c) Glace Bay (d) Philadelphia.
7. (a) two (b) three (c) four (d) six beauty queens came to the Prairie Pavilion in 1927.
8. Bernard Jones lived on (a) Meulendyke Avenue (b) Main Street (c) Quarry Avenue (d) Pleasant Street.
9. Malcolm Buchanan taught (a) French (b) algebra (c) English (d) civics
10. Phil Adams attended (a) Ricker College (b) Husson (c) UMaine (d) Colby.
Answers: 1-d 2-c 3-b 4-a 5-d 6-c 7-d 8-c 9-b 10-a

Bangkok Continued
     Until 1939 Thailand, which means Land of the Free and has never been colonized, was known as Siam. At the time I was there the country was ruled by King Bhumpibol, who was educated at Cambridge, Massachusetts. It was a police state in many ways.
     Udorn in the northeast was attacked, and we were on alert a number of times.
     The Prince Hotel had a swimming pool outdoors, a bar and restaurant on the new top story, a cafeteria and a gift shop on the ground floor. The food was American.
     The officers stayed at the Chao Phaya Hotel or in private homes; while the enlisted men stayed at the Prince on Petchburi Road or the Erawan on Sukimvit.

Page 2

     Servants did all our cleaning. In Sattahip we had house girls whom we paid ten dollars a month. All buildings in Bangkok were air-conditioned. In Sattahip we needed to buy fans. Mine was stolen shortly after I got there.
More to Come

UP ON THE FARM (continued from page 1)
     As I drove I calculated that the kittens had been without their mama for 3 full days and that the kittens couldn’t have been more than 2 days old when I snatched their mama from them. I was sick! I was ready to quit the whole Animal Control thing if I was going to be doing such bad things.
     When I arrived at the camp, I could immediately hear the kittens crying for all they were worth. I prayed (yes, real praying), that they were ok, but the nights had been cold and the babies had been without food and I knew that was a deadly combination for young animals.
     I followed the cries to a wood shed, where Judy thought they were, and looked in. Now, I’m sure many of you think I’m fearless after reading accounts of me rescuing mad vicious dogs and giant horses, but I do have an obsessive irrational fear. SPIDERS ! I am soooo afraid of spiders that Kirby and I once moved out of a house because I saw one. Now everyone knows that spiders love woodsheds and this woodshed was full to the ceiling with very neatly piled split logs. Spider heaven !
     I took a deep breath and stepped inside and made any Fear Factor stunt look like sissy stuff. Being careful to not look up to the rafters( I figured they were teeming with large hairy spiders), I began to unstack the wood as fast as I could, throwing it on the floor of the shed, then out the door. As the tiers of wood got lower, I would have to do the tiers abutting the pile I was working on, as an avalanche of wood could crush the kittens. The cries got louder as I lowered the wall of wood, but I couldn’t figure out where the babies were. Their desperate cries got me crying and soon I was sobbing, so thank goodness if there were spiders I couldn’t see them.
     After fifteen minutes of undoing all of Judy’s hard work with her woodpile, I stopped to see where I stood and where the kittens could be. Their cries remained strong and I was so afraid they were using their last bit of strength to tell me where they were and I was failing. I had reached the back wall of the shed, and was petrified that they had fallen down between the inside and outside wall, between the 2-by-4s. I went outside the building to see what I was going to need to tear the wall apart. As I stood contemplating my next move, I realized I was going to need help. I looked at my watch and realized Susie Ricker and her 2 helpers were just finishing up their day’s work at the Meals for Me site, so I grabbed my cell phone and called her. “Hey, I need you and the girls to help me get some kittens at Judy Morrison’s camp on the Sleeper Road. I think they are dying!”
     Without hesitation she said” We were just walking out the door, I’ll Bring Kelly and Sissy and we’ll be there in 10 minutes !” Sometimes praying really pays off.
     As I waited for them I listened to the wall on the out side of the building and followed the sound up…under the eaves. I ran into the building and sure enough, the rafters that I had so conscientiously avoided looking at had a shelf between the stringers. I saw a flash of white and frantically scaled what was left of the woodpile. Summoning all my courage, I reached into that dark space and felt it! A cold wet kitten. I grabbed it, put it in my bra to start warming it and put my hand back into the space. Before I knew it, I had his 4 siblings. Spiders be damned, I had kittens to save,

     The kittens were soaked with their own urine and their body temperature was so low they were uncomfortable against my skin. I took them out into the beautiful August sunlight, ran into the camp, took a towel from a hook (I’ll get that back to you soon, Judy!) and placed them on the soft, warm, sun drenched towel. I ran back into the camp, mixed up some kitty formula with some very warm water as my knightesses in shining armor arrived. “Over there, grab one or two of them and pat them dry, I’m gonna get some warm food into them.”
     So there we stood, on a perfect August day, four women trying desperately to convince the five 4-day old kittens that they needed to keep fighting and stay alive.
     “They are so cold!” was said over and over . In turn, keeping track of who was who, the girls handed me a baby and I fed it. Two of them were too weak to suckle, so I forced the bottle into their mouths and squeezed in the formula, being careful not to fill their lungs instead of their belly. Gradually, the kittens got dry and fed and fell fast asleep. I started my car, turned the heater on full blast and remembering that Sissy was unbothered by the heat, asked her to ride with me. I swear that before we got home, the internal temperature of my car was 120 degrees. “Actually”, I said, “I like it better being this warm than I do being cold”, and she agreed. Thank goodness we weren’t pulled over by the police because in retrospect that may have been one of my crazier looking moments.
     We arrived at home and I thanked the girls, then went in to try and reacquaint mama with her babies. I wasn’t sure what damage I had done to her mothering instincts or whether she would love them or hate them. I placed the 5 babies in a box lined with a blanket and left them in the middle of the cat’s room. I hoped that when she heard their cries the mothering instinct would awaken and she would do what she should have been doing all along.
     An hour or so later, Katie showed up. I briefed her on the day’s events and we went into the room to check on the family. We looked in the box and no mama. We counted kittens. Four! Mama had taken one to a safer place and we had interrupted her moving process. I was ecstatic! I knew she was accepting them and would resume her mothering duties. Katie found mama and her baby on the floor behind a pile of junk in the closet. We placed them and the kittens in a large pen, complete with an enclosed space with a soft blanket and left them to bond. I apologized over and over to them for what I had done, and continue to each day.
     We continued to supplement Mama’s feeding with formula, as we weren’t sure how much of a milk supply she would have. We gave the kittens and Mama vitamin drops and gradually Mama became tamer, the kittens gained weight and my guilt abated a bit.
     Today, almost 3 weeks later, Mama and her five healthy babies live in our bedroom. The cat tolerates the rest of our pets, and the babies are a constant source of entertainment to our new kittens, Brad and Phil.. At night, Mama sleeps in our bed and demands at least ten minutes of petting and scratching. In five weeks I will find homes for her babies, and she will either get adopted or become part of Katie and Eric’s menagerie. Both Mama and the babies seem to have forgiven me for the horrible thing I did by separating them, but I don’t think I will ever forgive myself.

Page 3

Class of 1948 to Meet
     The Milo High School Class of 1948 will hold its next bi-monthly meeting on Tuesday, September 9th at Freda & Everett Cook's Bread & Breakfast on High Street. The meeting will begin at 9:30 a.m. with one of Freda's delicious breakfasts and the usual socializing and then some preliminary planning for our 56th reunion on July 3, 2003. All classmates are urged to attend.

     There will be a three-family yard sale on Saturday, September 13th, from 9:00 am to 2:00 pm at the Conley's house on the Lakeview Road in Milo. We plan to have a sleeper sofa and chair, a desk, a refrigerator, books, kids' games and books, some toys, baby clothes and many other items of interest. Rain or shine!

     I was at your web site and saw where people were reminiscing about walking down Main St. in Milo. They mentioned walking passed the FORSHAY's furniture store.
     Would it be possible for you to tell me who owned the store and if you have any information about the person? I have been researching my family for about 3 years and haven't run across any family that lived in Maine. But they did travel from NY to New Brunswick, Canada, so it is possible some stayed or went to Maine.
     Thank you for your time and effort.
     Bill Forshay - San Antonio, Texas
Searching: FORSHAY (Forshee, Foshay) (NY, NJ, OH, WI, MI, France, Canada) - WILD, DREXLER, FLEISCHMAN (WI, Austria) - BIERSCHENK, NELSON (Nilsson) (MN, NY, Sweden,Varberg).

     Once again MSAD #41's Wellness Team is sponsoring the Weight Watchers at Work program for interested staff, students and community members. All are welcome to join!
     Weight Watchers at Work is a 12 week program that meets at Milo Elementary School on Tuesdays from 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. Those who have participated in the past have found the program easy to follow, it promotes healthy eating and the group support is tremendous.
     Those of you who have joined WW in the past will find many changes that allow the participant more flexibility.
     If you are interested in joining please contact Sue Chaffee or Chris Beres at 943-2122. The cost of the program is $139.00 for the 12 weeks and may be paid by cash or check in full; three checks (two being post dated); payroll deduction for district employees; or by Visa/Mastercard. All materials for the 12 weekly

sessions are received the first week. New members may join at any point by paying remaining weeks. We need 15 paid members to schedule the first meeting so let us hear from you!

     There will be a meeting of all 5th and 6th grade parents who want their students to be involved in band. Band is new at the elementary schools this year and many students are anxious to join band. Mr. Eastman will explain how students may buy or rent band instruments.
     This meeting is for all students at Brownville, MC Cook School, Milo Elementary & the 6th Grade.
     The 5th grade at Brownville Elementary has once again been "adopted" by the ladies of the American Legion Auxillary. Each year these ladies generously donate a variety of school supplies for the students. Mrs. Weston and the class thank them for their support.
     The first meeting of the Brownville PTO will be held Monday at 6:30 in the library at the school. All parents, grandparents, and interested citizens are welcome to attend. The PTO provides many opportunities for the children and would appreciate any help. This week the PTO gave teachers $50 each to buy things they need for their classrooms. Things like books, bookcases, CD players, software, art supplies and much more. The staff really appreciates this gesture.

Page 4

     The 7th grade PTO will be selling drinks/hot dogs/treats at the Junior High home soccer games at the field right behind the school. The proceeds will go to the class of 2009 for upcoming events.
     There are 4 home games left: Sept. 10th; Sept. 17th; Sept. 24th; Oct. 2nd. The boys and girls play back to back, with the games beginning at 3:30

From the Principal's Desk:
     Last week I promised some tips to parents for helping their children at home.
     If you run out of space on the refrigerator, one mom hung a piece of yarn from one end of the kitchen to another and called it her "brag line." She had lots of room to show of work and used the refrigerator as the message board for menus, calendars, etc.
     You can support lots of our math work when you cook with your children. Counting and measuring is fun when you can eat the results. Bake a batch of cookies and let your children measure the ingredients. Be sure to pay attention to fractions. See if they can double the recipe!
     Family meals give children a chance to share what they've learned. They are also a great time for conversation. The best students are those who have a chance to share their day and their learning with their families.
     Helping to put groceries away helps young children to categorize similar things. Fresh vegetables go into the refrigerator. Cans go on the shelf.
     Sort fruits, and vegetables, decide in which of the food groups on the food pyramid an item belongs. A discussion of cost of certain items helps children understand how the family budget works.
     Nothing makes writing seem as important as sending-and receiving letters. Encourage your child to write letters to friends and family. Perhaps you could find them a Pen Pal in another part of the country or world.
     Children have a strong need for routines and repetition. It helps them organize their world. Routines make bedtime easier for parents, too.
     Maps make inexpensive room decorations-and they are a great way for your child to learn geography. For young children, hand-drawn map of the neighborhood helps them learn about maps. Older kids love maps of their country or the world.
     Regular chores and responsibilities give students a part in the family. It is important for every one to have a role and to do their part for the family to be fair and comfortable for everyone. One mom turned chore time into a game of "Go Fish." She

wrote all the chores that need to be done on small slips of paper and put them into a large bowl. Then have the kids take turns drawing chores from the bowl. To encourage kids to keep at it, include some fun notes too: "Give Mom a big hug," and some treat notes, " Eat a cookie." or "take a raisin break."
     Remember that more than 85 percent of a child's waking, learning hours are spent at home!!
     Milo Elementary held a successful Open House on Thursday, September 4. There were many students and parents in the halls and classrooms. The math program generated a lot of interest. Students were able to demonstrate the math investigations that they have been involved in the last few days.
     Two classrooms were showing off the new laptop computers. Students were giving lessons to parents on how to use these new computers. Our new music program generated a lot of enthusiasm. Students were challenging Mr. Eastman to remember their names. Not an easy feat when you see all K-6 students just once a week. If my guess is correct, I think that Mr. Eastman came out ahead of the students ( and some parents that he STILL remembers!!). We have had promises of musical instruments being brought to school for music next week.
     Attendance percentages were high in most grades. Overall nearly 60% of our students brought family members to Open House. We hope that all families will find an opportunity to visit our school during the year.
     Milo Elementary held their first Terrific Kids assembly of the year on Friday. New students, Kyle Plummer and Sara Voisine were welcomed to our school. Those in attendance had a special treat, during our singing Mr. Eastman brought a snare drum and accompanied us. The staff and students are so excited about music that Mr. Eastman was awarded the first Apple Award of the year.
     Bus Driver Joe Beres awarded bookmarks and pencils to JUSTICA BLACK and COURTNEY BADGER as Bus Students of the week. Joe also served as our Kiwanian friend this week. JESSIE RAE MOULTON was the only student to have celebrated a birthday this week.
     All children and staff were asked to do something special for their grandparents this weekend as Sunday is Grandparent's Day.

From the classroom of:
Mrs. Barden - Our first Terrific Kid is helpful to her teachers and friends. She always has a sweet smile and an even sweeter disposition. She is
Mrs. Mills - Our Terrific Kid has made a quite a first impression on her new teacher. She follows all the classroom and school rules. Her work is
completed neatly and on time. She is very friendly to others and helpful to all. We are excited to have TIFFANY LYFORD in our class.
Mrs. Dunham - Our Terrific Kid is a kind, helpful boy. He comes in each day ready to listen and work hard. He's become a real math wiz with our math
questions of the day. We are happy to have PETER MORSE in our class.
Page 5

Mrs. Gillis
This girl likes a lot of things,
Animals, art, but NOT bee stings,
Porcelain dolls she collects,
Her writing shows that she spell checks.
Mrs. Hayes - What a boy, what a dream, he's the one for our team. Aaron is a team player. He listens and supports his teachers and friends. He cooperates, is responsible, uses happy talk, is respectful, plays safe, uses good manners at lunch, and he is polite and kind. These are our classroom rules and AARON GOODINE follows them each day. Thanks Aaron ! Mrs.Hudak, Mrs. Linda and I are proud of you. We are happy to have you in our class.
Mrs. Tardiff and Mrs. Hussey - Our Terrific Kids this week are JEFFREY LYFORD and JADE DOW. Jeffrey is a hard worker, active listener, good friend, and he always follows the I-Care Rules of our classroom. We love having Jeffrey in our class!
Jade is a hard worker, great listener, and very cooperative in class. We love having Jade in our class, too.
Mrs. Walker and Mrs. Carey - KARA PARISEAU and HENRY PATTEN are our 2 TK's this week. Kara is a sweet, dear little girl. She follows our classroom rules and is quiet and polite. Her smile is golden like the sunshine. Congratulations Kara Pariseau
Henry is a quiet, little guy who comes in everyday and finds his cubbie, orders his lunch, signs in and sits right down and goes to work. He enjoys the computer and library too. He is a good role model to others in the room. Congratulations Henry!!
Mrs. Whitney – Mrs. Whitney's Terrific Kid to start off the year is JAMIE PERRY. She has started her year off very well. She has adjusted to a new classroom teacher and schedule like she has always known them. Mrs. Whitney appreciated her attitude and flexibility! Go Jamie!

     Milo Elementary will contniue to collect the General Foods Boxtops for Education this year. Last year, the families in the district helped us earn nearly $400 by collecting these boxtops. You can find these on General Mills and Betty Crocker products. Boxtops can be sent to school with students.
     Remember, we are always looking for volunteers at school. If you have an hour or so that you can spend with us, we can certainly find something for you to do.
     Editors Note: It is so nice to see all of the school news. Take it from a mother who’s kids are all grown up…there will come a time when you will look back at the school age as the most precious time of your life. There is no greater feeling then being able to pick your child up, place them on your lap, read them a story or talk about their day. Please make time everyday to hug , kiss and really talk to your young ones, because before you know it, they are grown up and the opportunity is gone.
     And a special thanks goes out to Mr. and Mrs. Albert Harmon who sent a whole box full of “Boxtops for Education” along with soup labels, to our schools. It is wonderful to have folks from away taking an interest in our schools and should be taken as a challenge by area folks to do the same.

The fall session of yoga began on Tuesday, Sept. 2, and runS from 6:30-7:30 at the Milo Town Hall.
The cost is $5.00 per session.
The class is designed not only for then experienced yogi, but for beginners as well. You will strengthen muscles, ligaments and joints while relieving stress.
Come join Cindy Herbest in a relaxing and healthful hour of fun!!!

     The library is again the scene of activity as anyone riding or walking along Park Street or Pleasant Street this week has noticed. The building is getting a new roof. Several weeks ago after a very hard rain, Dean Henderson, our conscientious custodian, noticed a puddle on the floor near the circulation desk. Thankfully the water had landed on the floor and not on the books or the computers. Not only was there a bad leak in the library proper, but also two spots on the office ceiling have testified to leakage over time. The town manager was informed that the roof has done us well. Shingles guaranteed for 10 years have been in place for 30 years, so they really don’t owe our town anything. Our new roof has been shingled with special architectural shingles guaranteed to last 35 years. We should be nice and dry for many years to come without any worries about the weather .
     In the Three Rivers Kiwanis News through this last summer I noticed class reunions---especially those of the class of 1953 for Milo and Brownville Junction. It was fun to read the articles and check the pictures to see whom I knew that had been in those classes because I also graduated in 1953 from York High School, York, Maine, and we are having our 50th reunion on Saturday (Sept. 6). Fifty years---it seems impossible that that amount of time has gone by. I do not feel much older most of the time (hopefully wiser) , let alone having been out of high school 50 years, but I have to remind myself that no matter how I feel, people looking at me see a senior citizen. Sometimes that thought comes as quite a shock! I’m looking forward to the reunion. I have not seen this group for 10 years, and I know at least four that were with us then that ,sadly, will not be with us this time. It will be a time to remember events of other days and of another era long gone. For many people today those days are ancient history, so it will be enjoyable to be with people for whom those days were real.
     We have had more books donated. Here are some for juveniles.
Clements, Andrew FRINDLE
Clements, Andrew THE JANITOR’S BOY
Clements, Andrew A WEEK IN THE WOODS
Hiaasen, Carl HOOT
MacDonald, George AT THE BACK OF THE NORTH WIND(older but a new edition)
Here are some donations from Irving Fletcher.
Rooney, Andy MY WAR
Frum, David THE RIGHT MAN (George Bush)

Library Winter Hours
Saturday 2:00-4:00
Telephone 943-2612

Page 6

My Italy Trip Part 13
Firenze (Florence)
     We boarded the bus for our included tour of Florence at 8:20. It took about an hour to get there because of rush hour traffic. Florence charges $150 for a bus to enter the old city. We picked up our local guide, Nedo, and proceeded to high ground across the Arno River for a photo shot of the group. It was a little hazy, but the view was still spectacular. Brunelleschi’s dome on the cathedral was very visible and dominated the skyline. The man who took our picture used a stepladder to take the group shot because the city requires a license to use a tripod for a camera. The license has to be renewed monthly. When we got our pictures back, it was obvious he used a good filter because there was no haze. The horizon was beautiful with cypress and umbrella pines as well as parts of the old Roman wall surrounding the city.
     Chiro dropped us off near the Santa Croce (Holy Cross) church. We went inside. The church is now a museum. In the walls and floor were many tombs. Famous people like Michelangelo, Machiavelli, Rossini, Dante and Galileo are buried here. When the Arno River flooded, the water rose to about six feet above the floor of the church. Many of the tombs opened and the people had to be reburied. Attached to the church is a leather school where high quality leather goods could be purchased. I found the prices still a little rich for my pocketbook, but some people indulged themselves.
     We then walked to the cathedral. It is stunning with the green pink and white marble exterior. At the time the cathedral was built, it was customary to have the outside of the churches more ornate than the interior. The Baptistery was adjacent to the church. Early churches always had the baptistery separate because only baptized people were allowed in churches. We saw the bronze doors designed by Ghiberti that sparked the Italian Renaissance. The actual doors are being restored because of corrosion and replicas were installed. The bell tower was also a separate building. Brunelleschi’s dome on the cathedral is actually a double dome. For 8 Euro people can walk to the top for a view of the city as well as into the church itself.
     Our tour ended at the Piazza Signoria or center of the city. There were a number of statues there including a replica of Michelangelo’s David. We were told that the city is considering removing all the original statues because of air pollution. We went to a discount gold store to look around and for me more importantly a bathroom. Steff and I wandered around looking for lobster tail pastry. We were told that it was a Southern Italian pastry and hard to find this far north. Our Quest took us over the famed Ponte Vecchio, a bridge with many gold shops on it. The city of Florence was very crowded and after spending almost a week and a half in small towns it was quite a culture shock for me. We had been cautioned about the gypsies and pickpockets. It turned out the only person who got pickpocketed was Fernanda who was the tour director for the other group.
     Since we couldn’t find our pastries, Steff and I stopped at a restaurant for pizza. A number of other people from our tour ate there as well. We stopped at a tourist trap to pick up a few souvenirs and then had a cappuccino and pastry.
     At 3:45 we walked to a shuttle bus for a ride back to our bus. The $150 that Grand Circle paid was for dropping us off. It was an extra $150 to pick us up. We boarded the bus and started to leave the city when we heard a loud noise. Looking out the window of the bus we could see where a car had hit a policeman on his motorcycle. We saw the policeman get up so we knew he was okay, but I’m sure the motorist had a lot of explaining to do.
     We got back to Montecatini about 5. Eloise, Georgia and I had decided to try a Tuscan steak for dinner. We had heard a lot about it, and found we could order them if we asked a day ahead. The steak is specially cured. It is one inch thick and is cooked very rare. It was delicious. Steff didn’t want to try it because she likes her steaks well done and they won’t cook it that

way. I stopped by the bar for a Sambucca ( a sweet anise flavored drink) to warm me up as I still felt chilled from the cold and windy day in Florence. I looked at the bartender and mentioned he got around because he was also our waiter in the restaurant. He said his name was Mariano and his brother Mauricio was the waiter. I found it hard to tell them apart and there was a five-year difference in their ages.
Next week: Siena

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     It infuriates me when I have a great idea for a column and I don't write it down. When I get in front of the mind is a sieve....I can't remember for the life of me what my great idea was. Believe me, I had a wonderful theme this week and it's floated away out of my brain just like flotsam.
     Labor Day has come and gone. Our camping days for 2003 are a memory now. We always think that we're going to spend more time at Schoodic Lake, but we seldom do. If the cousins were able to come for a weekend sometime in September, we would certainly leave it open for that. However, this September they are busy with their own obligations, and we just aren't going to be able to make a weekend happen. I was sad to find that out.
     We entertained our own kids and grand kids over the long holiday weekend this year. It was chilly sleeping, but dressed in warm pajamas and cuddled up, we all slept like rocks until well into the morning both Saturday and Sunday. Monday morning the guys got up early and went to play in a four-ball tournament at the golf course. We managed to feed from between five and fifteen people at any given meal. Fruit and yogurt parfaits were on tap for Saturday's breakfast. We had English muffins with jelly or peanut butter and raisins (which is my personal favorite topping for them.) At noontime we ate sandwiches made from a myriad of cold cuts and cheeses that we'd brought with us. Supper was barbecued chicken on the grill and a huge pan of oven roasted red potatoes and other vegetables, such as carrots, zucchini, onions, green and red peppers. I made a batch of corn muffins that although a little "done" on the bottom. My only disaster of the weekend. I made a pan of brownies for dessert.
     Speaking of English muffins.....a bread man who was stocking the bread racks at the Milo Farmer's Union once told me that Milo sells the most English muffins per capita of any community in Maine. Can you believe that statistic? Well, I suppose, why not? I will say this, when I went to that bread rack on Friday afternoon....quite 5:00 P.M....when I was on my way to camp and making one last pit stop at the store....there wasn't a package of English muffins to be had. But, Lori had done the shopping earlier in the day and she did get enough muffins to see us through the weekend. Don't you think that the fact that the bread company knows the English muffin habits of each community is remarkable? When you think about it, though, there is someone out there who knows just exactly how many and much we eat of everything that's stocked in each store. I don't think it's an accident that the Farmer's Union stocks more Canadian White bread than any other bread that is displayed. I'm willing to make book on the fact that not only are the citizens of Milo avid English muffin eaters, but we probably break records with the Canadian White bread, as well.

Page 7

     Then there's the salsa controversy. Do the citizens of Milo eat more salsa than they do ketchup? I doubt it. Salsa is definitely growing in popularity, but I don't believe it's going to overtake ketchup as the condiment of choice anytime soon. Not in Milo, anyway. I made the Mexican Dip that I told you about in a previous column for an appetizer over the weekend. It's made with salsa, cream cheese, sour cream, chopped onion, green and red peppers and shredded cheddar cheese. It amazes me how quickly people lap this dish up every time I make it.
     Saturday night we prepared a beanhole and at 11:00 p.m. we put our big pot of beans and a huge, delicious ham that Carolyn had bought at the Countryside Meat Market in Dover Foxcroft into the ground. Even though the air temperature had dipped enough to keep us inside instead of out front enjoying the fire, we had built up plenty of coals to cook both of these foods over the course of the evening.
     Sunday morning we ate our traditional big breakfast that my husband fixes. I absolutely love his fried potatoes with onions. To me, the makings of great fried potatoes are the caramelized onions that you cook with them. Our meat of choice is always bacon. We fry the eggs and the toast is....what else....English muffins. Orange juice and coffee make for a great meal. The greatest part of this meal is the fact that I don't have to cook it.
     Sunday afternoon we enjoyed a huge meal with family and friends. The beans had a great bake on them, and the ham was melt in your mouth. For the non-ham eaters in the family I had made a big casserole of Shepherd's Pie. We had 3 big salads, yeast rolls, tugboat turnip and fresh squash. It was a nice mix of hot and cold dishes and a nice mix of family and friends. We used Chinet plates for easy cleanup, and a great time was had by all. I made a nice apple pie for dessert and although the slices had to be was a little like the fishes and the loaves....there was plenty for everyone.
     There isn't anything better than being able to spend some time with your whole family....all at once. I suppose if your children don't get along it's hard, but my kids all get along with each other, and the little ones like to play with each other. My kids laugh really hard at each other and get a charge out of telling old stories about one another. They have great senses of humor and although they come honestly by it, it still amazes me how hard they can make me laugh. What well adjusted adults they have grown up into. They are conscientious parents and citizens who I'm very proud of.
     By now you must be trying to think of something to do with those zucchini's that are growing bigger by the minute in your garden. Here is my friend Amber Gahagan's recipe for:

Zucchini Bread
3 eggs beaten
1 cup cooking oil
2 cups sugar
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups grated fresh zucchini (unpared)
1 cup chopped walnuts

     Wash your squash, remove the blossom end and grate unpared zucchini to make 2 cups (this is about 1 pound of zucchini). In a bowl beat eggs until light. Mix in the oil and sugar. Mix and sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda and cinnamon. Add to the beaten eggs. Stir in the grated zucchini and the chopped nuts. Bake in two greased and floured bread pans in a moderate 350 degree oven for about 1 hour or until bread tests done. Cool on a rack. to freeze, wrap in plastic and then in foil.

A Historical Review - Part 2
They Fought in World War I
Old Soldiers Recall How It Was
Observer, by Edna Bradeen, (date unknown)
     "We went to Chateau-Thierry and that was our first battle," Ellis said, "We lost quite a few men there. We went from one battle to another from then on. I was in the Argonne when the Armistice was declared." "It was night when we got the word," he said, "and you never saw such a sight. The men started shooting all their signals (flares) off; the air was full of them." Ellis said he was never wounded during the was but did have to endure gas warfare.
     Though the war was over in November, it was March before Ellis was able to return to the United States.
     Hagar was not so fortunate as Ellis. "I never expected to come home again." he said, "I signed over my insurance to my grandmother and told her she would probably collect it."
     In one of his first battles, Hager recalled that the men started walking 6 feet apart across a wheat field. When the shelling began, he kept walking forward.
     After a while, he looked to his left and right and could not see any of his comrades -- they had been either killed or wounded. Hager said he stopped and waited for the second attack line to reach him. Hager, a sharpshooter with the special forced, was never out from under fire during his time in Europe. His special skills kept him between the allies and the Germans at the front lines where he worked with sniper units and observation men spotting targets for the artillery. He was also in charge of patrols, making trips behind enemy lines seeking information.
     When the Armistice was declared, Hager was at Verdun, the site of some of the bloodiest fighting in the war. He was almost 18. Gassed twice and suffering from a wrenched leg sustained when an artillery shell exploded near him, Hager was not in good shape. "When I heard of (the armistice)," he said, "I was dumbfounded. I didn't know what to do. At first I was elated and then I said, no. I felt sick to my stomach. I felt so rotten and I was in such bad shape. 'If I go home I can't do anything,' I thought. To tell you the truth, I really felt bad when it was over."
     Before Hager could leave France, he collapsed and was hospitalized for seven months. Though he attained the rank of corporal, Hager had to be discharged as a private because the company's records were destroyed. Because the records were blown up at company headquarters, Hager also ran into difficulty getting a pension. "I have to be hospitalized about every two to two and a half months," he said, "due to my condition." "I have no regrets. I am just as loyal, just as patriotic as I was the day I joined. I would do it over again -- but I would be sure it was recorded."

Page 8

     BROWNVILLE JUNCTION - Steven Douglass, 53, died unexpectedly Aug. 28, 2003, at Schoodic Lake in Lake View Plantation. He was born Aug. 18, 1950, in Lewiston, the son of Harry S. and Margaret C. (Currie) Douglass. Steven was a member of the Bernard Jones American Legion Post No. 92 in Brownville Junction. He is survived by seven sisters, Corinne Douglass of Falmouth, Louise Levesque of Fairfield, Linda Smith of Millinocket, JoAnne Shaw of Yarmouth, Barbara Sanborn of Portland, Marcia Dulac of Buxton; a half sister, Teresa Williams of Auburn; a half-brother, Marshall Douglass of Auburn; many nieces and nephews; great-nieces and great-nephews.
     Editor’s note: Stephen left behind his two beloved pet cats. Both have been spayed and are available for adoption. Cats who have been spayed and had all of their shots would cost you over a hundred dollars at the Humane Society…we offer them free to a responsible home. Call Julie at 943-5083 for more infor.

You are Cordially Invited to
The PCEDC Quarterly Meeting
Monday, September 8th
The Masonic Hall, Greenville

     Topic: The Governor’s Pine Tree Zone initiative. What does it mean for Piscataquis County?
     Guest Speaker: Alan Brigham, Director of Policy and Planning Maine Dept. of Economic & Community Development. Mr. Brigham is chief administrator for the Governor’s Pine Tree Zone program and will offer insights and thoughts on the program’s development. How we can take advantage of this powerful business attraction and retention tool is a major focus for the PCEDC.
     Agenda: Social hour-4-5pm, Guest speaker-5-6pm, Dinner-6-6: 30pm, and the PCEDC update-6: 30-7pm.
     To RSVP for Dinner, please contact Dianne Currie at 1-800-339-6389 or email her at Suggested donation for dinner: $12. Dress: Casual
Mark Scarano, Executive Director Piscataquis County Economic Development Council, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine 04426
(207) 564-3638 or toll-free at 1-800-539-0332.

From Grammie McCleary’s weather book.

By Priscilla Arbo Clifford Osgood

Farewell to thee and all thy kind
In summer’s waning days,
Thy pristine petals shimmer now
In autumn’s golden haze.

I’ll miss thee in the winter months
When icy fingers cling,
But though I mourn, I know we’ll meet
At half-past after spring.

     The Milo area writer’s group will meet at the Country Style Restaurant in Sebec on Tuesday, September 9, 2003 at 5:30 pm. Anyone interested in writing is welcome to come and read or share ideas. For more information please call Victoria Eastman at 943-2400.

     This is a MSAD #41 adult education enrichment class and will begin on Thursday, September 25, at 6 pm.

Forget the grammar
Forget the spelling
What you write
Comes number one
This kind of writing
Can be lots of fun!

     In six weeks you can create anything better than this from Poetry to Novels to Journals and memoirs. Please call 943-5333 to register. Folks over 60 can attend tuition-free.

     One of Milo’s grand lady’s, Doris Larouche, will celebrated her 89th birthday on September 19, 2003. To help make this a memorable day please take a moment to send or deliver in person a card of wishes to:
Doris Larouche
Hibbard Nursing Home
P.O. Box 159
Dover-Foxcroft, ME

     Available for immediate adoption: A 3-month old kitten who has been spayed and de-clawed. This baby is a bit wild and needs special attention, but is a beautiful, sweet, orphan.

Monday-Chicken nuggets, potato puffs, broccoli, fruit, milk every day.
Tuesday-Ravioli, green beans, roll, and fruit.
Wednesday-Mac & cheese, cukes, sliced ham, dinner roll, and apple.
Thursday-Turkey wrap, rice pilaf, potato ovals, and blueberry cake.
Friday-Pizza, salad, and mixed fruit.

Page 9



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at Angie’s Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Janet Richards or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President Edwin Treworgy welcomed twenty-seven members and guests Lt. Gov. Harold Sherman, Lt. Gov. Elect Clair Wood and his wife Marian, Sue Chaffee, Ginny Morrill, and Key Club Vice-president Lindsey Small, Secretary Kylie Palmer, and Treasurer Cameron Wellman.
     Roy Bither led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Dunham asked us to pray for the world leaders and for those still in harm’s way as well as for the families who have lost loved ones. Chris Beres read an inspirational passage about teakettles being up to their necks in hot water but still being able to sing.
     Correspondence from the Dover-Foxcroft Kiwanis Club was circulated and a thank you from Lt. Gov. Sherman for items contributed to the silent auction was read.
     Best wishes go out to Jeff and Amber Gahagan for their anniversary on September 7 and to Murrel Harris for his birthday on September 9 and Eric Gahagan’s on the 10th.
     Sixteen happy and sad dollars, six from Frank, were donated to the Administrative Fund for a pet in heaven, family gathering, a new puppy, over-sleeping for the first time, and Ed’s new? jacket.
     Edwin handed out checklists for activities participated in during the past year. Ed asked for the papers to be returned to him by this Friday.
     Clair Wood presented Eben DeWitt with the Lt. Gov. Elect Banner.
     The Milo Free Public Library Kid’s Korner will have its first fall event on September 24.
     The Three Rivers News broke another record last week with 339 issues sold. This compares with a little over 200 issues at the same time in 2002.
     Trish Hayes told us that the Key Club had a very busy August with a Board meeting, officer training, and their third trip to Manna in Bangor. They will participate in the Paws on Parade in Bangor to benefit the humane society and plan on traveling to the society at least once a month. The regular weekly Key Club meetings will begin on September 4 at the PVHS library at 11:19 am. Dot, Roy, Frank, and Buffy plan to attend the first meeting. Maybe this interclub will come away with what the Key Club interclub borrowed this morning plus a bit more!
     The monthly Kiwanis Board meeting will he held Thursday, September 4 at 6:30 am.
     If any member would like to join an interclub to travel to the area club installations please let Edwin or Joe Zamboni know as soon as possible. The installations are scheduled for September 19 in Dexter, September 20 in Dover-Foxcroft, September 23 in Greenville, September 30 in Orono, and October 13 in Guilford. Our officer installation will be on September 24 at the Legion Hall.
     September 10, 2003 will be our business meeting.

     David Walker introduced our speakers for today, MSAD #41 School Nurse Sue Chaffee and MSAD # 41 Food Director Ginny Morrill. They presented for the area Wellness Team and Move and Improve program.
     Sue had greetings from her husband Ron Chaffee! She told us that a Wellness event involves alternative therapies, promote positive wellness and energy, and presents a good role model for students. Sue found the July 10 conference at Sugarloaf to have been very energizing, especially during the talent portion. The team met in July to organize upcoming events. They plan to sponsor a 10-week Weight Watchers program at the Milo Elementary School, continue with the massage therapy at PVHS, and print a Wellness newsletter.
     Ginny Morrill is planning a new walking club that will include daily logs and distance maps. She hopes to continue the project into December. She also has plans for a fun walk on October 4 to be sandwiched between the homecoming parade and the soccer game.
     Kathy Witham is also a member of the Wellness Team. She helped to make up ‘stress’ bags for the MSAD staff members for the first day of classes. Even with a $0 budget the bags contained bubble gum, a tea bag, a penny, an elastic, and others necessary items. The staff appreciated the thought and gifts! Kathy has been in contact with Julie Plummer, a massage therapist from Abbot. She will again be available for her soothing chair massages on Mondays in the Lifeskills room at Penquis Valley High School. The cost is only $15 each or $70 for 6 and is available to the entire community.
     Chris Beres, also on the Wellness Team, told us about an anti-smoking production available through a tobacco grant. It could be utilized as a fund-raising event.
     It is always a pleasure to have the Wellness Team as our guests. We look forward to your continued Move and Improve success!
Page 10

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance