Three Rivers News, 2003-07-29
TUESDAY, JULY 29, 2003

Gazebo Committee Meets at the Park in Milo
     Members of the Three Rivers Kiwanis “Gazebo in the Park Committee” met for two nights this week on the river front park in Milo to discuss the placement of the proposed gazebo. It was decided that the gazebo would be located on the high ground of the park by the footbridge, where two picnic tables are presently located. This decision was reached after much discussion. The old Dillon House site was rejected, as too many trees would have to be cut to give a proper view of the river. The downriver site by the present flagpole and Moose Memorial was rejected for being limited in size. The third site in the area presently being cleared by Bobby Ellison and his crew was rejected because it is low ground and prone to flooding. The preferred site on the high ground has close access to the street and parking, which is a big plus for elderly and handicapped persons, especially during the summer band concerts. This site also has a nice backdrop of trees, which will help deflect the music into the park when the community band plays. The picnic tables can be relocated to another area of the park, perhaps in the shady areas presently being cleared.
     The Committee has received nearly $2000.00 thus far in pledges and donations. Fund raising activities were discussed, as the project will cost well over $10,000 when completed. In October there will be a concert by Evergreen at the Milo Town Hall, the proceeds will be dedicated to the project. It was suggested that a supper could be held at the Town Hall the same night as the concert and the proceeds would also go to the gazebo fund. Another suggestion to the committee was that we could mount a permanent plaque in or on the gazebo with the names of people who contributed to the project. The plaque or individual inscriptions would have one or two names and be mounted for a $25 donation. It would be a great way to remember some of our family and friends who have passed on. Anyone who would like one or two names memorialized in the gazebo can send $25 to Gazebo Fund- Memorial Plaque, Milo Town Office, Milo, ME 04463. Please spell out the name(s) clearly in the order.
     The Brownville Jct. American Legion will be holding an afternoon of free Bingo for children ages 6 to 13 on Saturday, August 2, 2003 at 12:00 pm. There will be prizes awarded to the winner of each game. We will also be playing a jackpot game. The winner of this game will win the grand prize of the day. Refreshments will be on sale.

FROM 11 AM – 2PM
Proceeds are used for local projects

Name the park by the boat landing in Milo.
Enter on-line by clicking above or mail entries to :
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463

Judges are the Town Of Milo Board of Selectmen
The name will be announced on August 14th at the Community Band Concert, in the park.

Page 1

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings

     In conjunction with Alumni Weekend on August 9, 2003, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM we will be offering a shuttle service at both ends of the trail. Park your vehicle at either Davis Field in Brownville Junction or the Community Church on Church Street, Brownville Village and we will shuttle you back to your vehicle after you complete the nature walk along the trail. The trail is approximately 3 miles along the Pleasant River with beautiful views. It is maintained and easy walking, however appropriate footwear is recommended.
     The Brownville Recreation Department will have their snack shack at Davis Field open for refreshments. They will be serving hot dogs, burgers, nachos, drinks and more throughout the day.
     We will be having a drawing for all participants who walk the trail on that day. Prizes will be drawn at 2:00 PM in front of the snack shack. There is no cost for the drawing and you do not need to be present to win. The only requirement to enter is that you participate in our event by walking the trail. We hope that you will join us to enjoy the natural beauty of the Pleasant River Walk Trail.

On August 8 at 7:00 pm the BJHS Alumni Annual Meeting will be held at the Alumni Building in Brownville Jct..
On August 9 the Alumni Building
will be open at 1:00 pm for socializing.
At 5:00 pm there will be a buffet dinner.
Cost is $14.00 per person and
all BJHS Alumni are invited to attend.
Following the buffet there will be live entertainment. Join Ronald Knowles and bring an instrument, your voices, your talent and participate in the after dinner fun !
Direct inquiries to : Linda Coburn
     Words just don’t seem enough to say ?Thank You? to all the family, friends, neighbors, and even strangers for the support and love shown to me after my accident. The cards, flowers, phone calls, visits, back rubs, house cleaning and taxi service and benefit supper have been overwhelming.
I could never mention everyone by name without leaving someone out, so I will just say Thank You all so much.
With Love,
Sue Coburn

The 5th Annual Quilt Show is being held during the Brownville Jct. Alumni Reunion weekend, Saturday, August 9, 2003 from 9am - 3pm. at the Brownville Jct. United Methodist Church
     Admission is $1.00. Please sign up for the door prizes at time of admission.
     For the past five years a group of ladies calling themselves The Monday Morning Quilters have put on a quilt show that has been greatly received and has become one of our major events. We not only show quilts that these ladies have made, but love to add quilts made by others. If anyone has a quilt that they would like to display in our Quilt Show, you can contact Lorraine Fitzpatrick, 965-7861, ( or Lillian McLean, 965-2121 ( During the show we will have quilt block demonstrations and will have quilted items on sale. Downstairs in the church dining room, the ladies of the church will be serving lunch from 11am to1pm. Assorted sandwiches, squares, and drinks will be on sale. Come and enjoy the fellowship of other quilters, get new ideas, enter your quilt for display, and finish off the day with a great lunch.

Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. Brownville once wanted to take part of (a) Williamsburg (b) Millinocket (c) Lake View (d) Milo.
2. Colonel Walter Morrill once owned the (a) Merrill Quarry (b) Crocker Quarry (c) Highland Quarry (d) Barnard Quarry.
3. Brownville's first recreation director was (a) Doug Drinkwater (b) Jerry Jean (c) Mike Boies (d) Dean Bellatty.
4. The Stickneys were known for their (a) art (b) athletes (c) height (d) music.
5. (a) Stymiest's (b) French's (c) Don Brewer (c) Gerrish's sold the first pizza.
6. Morris and Evans were (a) Frenchmen (b) Welsh (c) Irish (d) Germans.
7. Gilfred Vickers was a(n) (a) tax assessor (b) postman (c) conductor (d) farmer.
8. The second longest serving selectman was (a) Walter McClain (b) Will Crozier (c) Neil Arbo (d) Dennis Green
9. The Railroaders won their first tournament in (a) 1957 (b) 1959 (c) 1963 (d) 1967.
10. Lori Jamison starred in (a) soccer (b) basketball (c) softball (d) cross-country.

Answers: 1-c 2-c 3-a 4-d 5-c 6-c 7-c 8-a 9-b 10-a

Page 2

     I learned that Moscow has four airports and that 80,000 passengers came and went every day.
     I liked the caviar and the ice cream. The French Canadians and the English Canadians dined in separate parts of the dining room at the Hotel Rossia, Europe's largest hotel at that time (1974). Suzanna ate with me on occasion, once spilling soup on her red skirt, which she did not change for ten days.
     I went out on the town often, the first time losing my direction. It was a group of schoolboys studying sciences and speaking some German that helped me get back to the hotel (in a bus).
     I've recently learned that St. Basil's Cathedral needs repairs. It is just across from the Hotel Rossia on Red Square, where I saw soldiers drilling. There were soldiers and policemen everywhere. Strangely enough, I felt safe-safer than I would today.
     A policeman stopped me in the middle of a nap in a comfortable chair in the hotel lobby. Drivers lost two years for OUI.
     Lenin's picture was virtually everywhere.
     I was treated very well by the Russians, also having the option of taking overnight train trips to Kiev and Leningrad-which I declined-wanting to meet the people in Moscow.
     My uncle went to Moscow twice, once getting hospitalized in a second-rate Russian hospital for an emergency appendectomy-for 28 days!

Community Band's schedule
-Saturday, August 2
9:30 am
Homecoming Parade
-Thursday, August 7
6:30 pm
Piscataquis County Courthouse, East Main Street
-Thursday, August 14
6:15 pm
Municipal Park (by the Boat Landing), Water Street
-Thursday, August 21
6:15 pm
Piscataquis Valley Fair, County Fairgrounds

     Lawrence and Carolyn (Heal) Stanchfield, 1948 and 1950 graduates of Milo High School, will be celebrating their 50th wedding anniversary on September 5, 2003. Those who wish may send notes of congratulations to:
Larry & Kay Stanchfield
c/o Dot Baker
PO Box 153
East Orland, Maine 04431

     A family member recently discovered this picture on the Internet. My aunt, Lt. Alice Zwicker was on her way home with other nurses via Australia after the liberation of Santo Tomas, the Philippines during World War II. These Army nurses had been held prisoners of war, held by the Japanese, for three years.
     Several students have done this period of my Aunt's life for Brownville History projects and many senior citizens remember her well, so I thought it might be of interest.
Lynn Zwicker Weston

     The people who comprise the group called Milo Girls wish to express thanks to the staff at The Restaurant for the fine service we received on July 24th. We had reserved space for eighteen but our waitresses were not rattled when twenty-two showed up and they quickly added another table and setups. Orders were taken efficiently, the food was brought in a very short time, and coffee containers were kept well filled. Though we took up most of their inner dining room tables, we were not rushed along so they could prepare the room for lunch customers.
     The Milo Girls is a group of women with good memories of school days in Milo who want to keep in touch with each other. Presently, we come from classes that graduated in the 1940’s through the 1960’s and welcome all who want to join us. We meet on the fourth Thursday of each month, at 10:00 a.m., in alternating locations like one of the B&B’s in Milo, or Kev-Lan Coffee Shop in Bangor. Thursday was the first time we had met at The Restaurant since the turnover but we will surely keep it on our list if they will have us again. Our next brunch will be on August 28th, 10:00 a.m., at Kev-Lan Coffee Shop on Broadway in Bangor.
     Thanks again to the wait staff and the kitchen staff at The Restaurant for a pleasant dining experience. It’s good to see that they are carrying on the standards set by the former owners and adding nice touches of their own.

     JULY 20TH @ HEMOND'S MOTOCROSS PARK in Minot, Maine turned out to be a gorgeous day for racing.....the track was in great shape and there was a big crowd on hand to watch. TREVOR LYFORD came home with a 2nd place trophy in the ATV class...and finished 9th overall in the 50cc 7-9 class out of 23 other racers. KYLE FOSS raced 2 great motos in the 85C class and came home with a big 1st place trophy, also out of 23 bikes. JUSTIN MORRILL raced very well and finished an impressive 7th place out of a staggering 32 bikes in the 125 youth class.

Page 3

     On June 15th the Key Club saw ten of its seniors graduate. Congratulations to Andrew, Brett, Amanda, Adam, Katie, Tiffany, Sonja, Kerri, Craig and Colby. We’ll miss them all and wish them the best as they enter college this fall.
     Congratulations to Andrew and Brett for being awarded the Key Club scholarships of $200 each. This is the first time in several years that the club has been able to award scholarships to its members. Each Key Club senior was eligible to write an essay explaining Key Club to a college interviewer who is not familiar with the organization. They all did a great job and I’m sure it was difficult for the judges to choose only two winners! Thanks to the judges – Ed, Edie and Pat. I appreciate your help.
     During the last week of school Sharon, Kayla, Dawn, Jennifer and I visited each of Mr. Huri’s classes to recruit members for the coming school year. The girls did a great job of explaining Key Club and the benefits of being a member. Thanks to their presentation we have 12 potential new members. We will follow up with all in-coming freshmen at the beginning of the school year. Thank you Mr. Huri for allowing us some of your class time to spread the word about Key Club.
     The Key Club has remained active during their summer vacation. Dawn, Kayla, Jennifer, Lindsay, Shawn and Kylie helped out at the Annual Kiwanis Auction on June 26th and 27th. We are serving dinner once a month at Manna Food Kitchen in Bangor. Lindsay, Ashley, Kylie, Cameron, Shawn and Krystal have made the trips with me to Manna during June and July. And Dawn, Kayla and Colby helped Mr. Gerow out at the blood drive in June at the Town Hall. Dawn and Kayla have set their sights on completing the required 50 hours of community service required of each Key Clubber during this coming year. They’re off to a great start and I hope they will inspire their fellow Key Clubbers to also strive to meet 50 hours.
     As always the kids represent their parents, school and community well in every activity that we participate in and I am always proud to tell people where we’re from. The folks at Manna are so impressed that our kids give up a portion of their summer vacation to come to Bangor and work in a hot kitchen to help serve a meal to those who are less fortunate. We should all be proud of the work these kids are doing! I am!
     Editors Note: The Three Rivers News and Kiwanis are so proud to be associated with our Key Club. The young folks make every activity they participate in fun for all involved. Trish and Dennis do a great job and we all thank them.

Local Bean Hole Bean Suppers to benefit local charities.
     Beginning July 30th at 5 pm, the folks at Down Home Bed & Breakfast, Elm St., Milo, will be starting a new Wednesday night tradition by dishing up beans, hotdogs, salads, rolls and desserts to the public. The weekly meals, offered in their backyard, will cost $7 for adults and $3.50 for children. $1.00 from each plate will then be donated to a local group or charity. The 1st group to benefit will be the Milo Fire Fighters Auxiliary. They will be using their funds to represent Milo at the annual Maine State Fire Convention in September and also for their local charities. Future donations are planned to go to Reading Is Fundamental, P.E.T.S., and the Devil’s Sledders. All of these groups benefit our area with many volunteer hours each year. The meals will continue weekly throughout the

summer and fall until the weather gets too cold. They will then resume in the spring when the weather permits.
     Take-out meals will also be available. For questions or requests for a week’s donation to your organization, call Gary or Sylvia Black at 943-5167.

$1.00@ OR 6 FOR $500

Vacation Bible School will be held at
Park Street United Methodist Church
August 11 through 15 from 9:00 AM-12:00 noon.
Children from preschool to
grade eight are welcome. Come enjoy crafts, stories,
games and snacks.

Attention!!!!! River Rats
To all Sebec River Rats, River People and other interested parties !!!!
The annual Rips Riot Picnic for the Sebec River Association for 2003 will be
held August 2nd. Please gather at the beach, Saturday, around noon for
drinks and eats. Bring a dish to share and a chair. Grill will be provided. See ya there. Rain or Shine.
Dues are due. Ten dollars per family.

     MILO - Ralph E. Herbest Sr., 66, loving husband of Brenda (DeLaite) Herbest, died July 18, 2003, at a Portland hospital. He was born Sept. 20, 1936, in Milo, the son of Calvin and Myla (Lyford) Herbest Sr. He was a lifelong resident of Milo and a woodsman all his life. He was a member of Pownal Masonic Temple No. 119 AF & AM in Stockton Springs, and a member of the Anah Shrine Temple in Bangor. He was a member of St. Paul's Catholic Church and the Knights of Columbus. He enjoyed NASCAR and visiting with friends and family. He is survived by his loving wife, Brenda, of Milo; five sons and their wives, Ralph and Kathy Herbest Jr., Ronald and Cindy Herbest, Kevin and Bonnie Herbest, Dale and Jennifer Herbest, and Troy Herbest, all of Milo; three daughters and their husbands, Lynn and Milton Herbest, Robin and Mark Hobbs, all of Milo, Debbie and David Lunt of Frenchboro; 17 grandchildren; two great-grandchildren; two sisters, Stella Royal of Brownville, and Albina and Robert Emery of Orneville; several nieces, nephews, cousins; and a special nephew and his family, Ed, Linda, Randy and Matt. He was predeceased by three sisters, Alta Baker, Roberta Gerrish, Betty Allen; and one brother, Calvin Herbest Jr. A memorial mass was held, July 23, 2003, at St. Paul's Catholic Church, in Milo, with Father James Robichaud presiding.

Page 4

     MILO - Nellie (Dean) Willinski, 78, wife of the late Vernon Willinski, went home to be with her loved ones, July 24, 2003, at a Bangor hospital. She was born Oct. 4, 1924, in Sebec, the daughter of the late Stanley and Hazel (Lamson) Dean. Nellie attended the one room schoolhouse in Barnard, and Brownville High School. She married Vernon Willinski on Dec 24, 1942, and enjoyed a loving relationship with not only her family but with her extended Willinski family. Nellie was a devoted wife, mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, sister and friend. She was very generous, fair, loving and kind to her family and anyone else who needed her. She was employed at Dexter Shoe Co. for 20 years, retiring with her husband to enjoy their home, family, and friends. Nellie was a member of the United Baptist Church, the Joseph P. Chaisson American Legion Post No. 41 Auxiliary, and was a dedicated Bingo player. She is survived by her beloved children, son, Arnold and his wife, Jackie, of Orneville; daughter, Sheila and her husband, Torrey Ellis; and daughter-in-law, Kathy and her husband, George West, all of Milo. Also surviving are her precious grandchildren, Heidi Finson, Abe Willinski, Doug Willinski, Jason Gerrish, Shane and Tony Fowles; and great-grandchildren, Jeremy Finson, Sarah and Amber Willinski, Shelby Lynn and Sydney May Fowles; step-grandchildren, Travis Ellis, Peter, Mark and Janice Treadwell; step-great-grandchildren, Tara, Katherine, Brittany, and Josilyn Treadwell; sister, Gertrude Ellison of Milo; many beloved nieces and nephews; and a faithful friend and companion, Joe Villani. She was predeceased by her husband, Vernon; a son, Parker; a grandson, John; a sister, Diana; and three brothers, Edward, Parker and Stanley.. Funeral services will be conducted on July 27, at the United Baptist Church, Milo, with Rev. Ernest Madden and Rev. Rudy Homchuck officiating. Burial followed in the family lot in Evergreen Cemetery. Those who wish may make memorial contributions to the United Baptist Church Building Fund, Pleasant St., Milo, ME 04463.
She Is Not Gone Erase your grief, she is not gone
For in your heart she lingers on,
Her smile, her laugh, her special way,
Will comfort you from day to day.
You'll feel her presence in the breeze
That dances gently through the trees.
And it's her face that you shall see
When you're in need of company.
At any time you can recall
The love you shared, you saved it all.
And really more than anything,
You'll find peace in remembering.
     Editors Note: Nellie was such a special person. She always had a kind word and was genuinely concerned for others. I will miss her smile and many folks will miss her at our Meals for Me get-togethers. Val

Nina Spear
     Melbourne, Florida-Nina Spear, wife of Darrell Spear, passed away July 15, 2003 after a short illness. She was born in Cloverport, KY on November 12, 1938, the daughter of Hammon and Anna May. She is survived by her husband and two children, Roger Spear and his wife Sue of Chesapeake, VA and Tevie Matarazzo and her husband Carmine of Melbourne, FL. She is

also survived by a sister Joe-Ann Sanders of Cloverport, KY and four grandchildren, Carmine, Michelle, Tara, and Ryan, a step grandson Jonathon, her mother-in-law Avis Spear of Milo, a brother-in-law Byron Spear and his wife Faye of Evington, VA, and a sister-in-law Lee Spear of Milo. Burial will be in Cloverport, KY.

     ATKINSON - Marie Brown, 75, passed away July 22, 2003, after a courageous battle with Alzheimer's Disease and cancer. She was born Jan. 20, 1928, in Englishtown, N.J., the daughter of Elmer and Lillian Smith. Marie was currently a resident at Westgate Manor in Bangor, where she was well cared for and loved by their wonderful staff. She will be sadly missed by her husband of almost 55 years, Thomas S. Brown Sr.; their daughter and son-in-law, Lois and Donald Dow of Atkinson; their son and daughter-in-law, Thomas Jr. and Cindy Brown of Dover-Foxcroft; four grandchildren, Melissa Doan, Richard Dow, Thomas S. Brown III and Lindsay Brown; one great-grandson, R.J. Doan. Marie is also survived by one sister and her husband, Minnie and Sam Hluchy of Englishtown, N.J.; along with many nieces and nephews. She was predeceased by four other siblings. Marie was a former founding member of the Atkinson Volunteer Fire Department Auxiliary and had also volunteered at the Atkinson Elementary School when her children attended school. A memorial service will be held at the convenience of the family with date and place to be announced. In lieu of flowers, the family requests that those who wish may contribute in her memory to the Alzheimer's Association, Maine Chapter, 163 Lancaster St., Suite 160B, Portland, ME 04101-2406.

     Seven is considered a lucky number, and I guess, 3 X 7 could be 3 X lucky. At least it was for the library on Monday, July 21st ( 3 X 7). We had three groups of visitors and each brought us a generous surprise.
     Our first visitors were Lin and Nancy (Cotter) Pickle. I have been in touch with Nancy ever since she visited us last summer. In January she and her sisters made our library the beneficiary of memorial funds in the name of their father, H. Eugene Cotter. With the memorial funds we were able to purchase our new copier and several books in his name. Nancy and Lin were very pleased to see the changes we had made over the winter, and we had a good visit with them. This spring Nancy’s two sisters, Virginia and Martha, visited the library and presented us with checks. During this visit Nancy and Lin also gave us a generous gift. The staff at the library plan to replace the desk chairs and the stuffed chair with these gifts.
     Just a short time later our second visitors arrived---Donald Harris and Dottie Brown. Donald announced he had a book to donate to the library. We are always pleased to have books donated, but when he handed me Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix I was ecstatic. We have been waiting for the 2nd copy for over a month and our list for the book was growing. Within two hours Pam had the book processed, the next name on the list was called and the book was in circulation. Thank you very much , Donald and Dotty, for your thoughtfulness.
Page 5

     This had been such a great day we certainly didn’t think there were anymore surprises in store for us but there were ! Around supper time Donald Stanchfield came in. Regular readers of this column might remember that Don had bought a complete set of the Hardy Boys books for the library and had begun to purchase a new set of all the Nancy Drew titles. After purchasing several packages of books, he discovered they were now packaging them in an erratic number order making it impossible to buy just one of each title. Don did not give up and while on vacation even checked out Sam’s Clubs across the nation but found nothing he could use. His persistence finally paid off because after checking in Bangor recently, he found new titles packaged in order again and is continuing to complete our set. Thanks so much , Donald, for caring about our library.
     All these visitors were fun to see and their generous gifts are such a benefit to our library and to our patrons. The youngsters don’t always know how the books get on the shelves, but they do enjoy being able to have great selections.

Library Summer Hours
Telephone 943-2612

A Historical Review - Part 2
Remnants of Community Still Live at Katahdin Iron Works Township once boasted 300 residents, railroad spur BDN, by E.L. Boutlilier, August 1987 (SUBMITTED BY C.K.ELLISON, 2003)
     Several people interviewed in Sawtell's book remember the pony and horses on which "Audrey rode everywhere around K.I.," Audrey said. "One was a former trotter named Rabbit. He had a mark on 2:08 1/4 and had been trained by a man named Ireland.
     "In those days," Audrey said, "John Kelley was president of the Advance Bag and paper Co. at Howland. His brother, Tom, bossed the lumbering operation around K.I. They wintered several pacers and trotters at White Brook Depot and used to jog the horses down the well-plowed road toward K.I."
     Audrey could remember some of these horses, named Kinney Silk, Sassy Marie, Peter Patch and Eleanor Martin. When the Kelley's took them out to race in Bangor in the summer, Pierce Chappell, whom later went to the Grand Circuit, used to drive them. Billy Keys used to train another pacer, Eula H., for Wendell Watham.
     Audrey remembers another K.I. worker who climbed up in the harness-racing sport. "Babe Robinson used to be a clerk for the Pleasant River Pulp Co. and his son, Norman, drove a horse truck. Norman later became a race secretary at various tracks in Maine and at Hinsdale, NH."
     Audrey remembered that the blacksmith at White Brook Depot also was a harness maker. With the help of Cecil Theriault of Brownville, a logger who operates in the K.I. region. I was able to visit the White Brook location and uncover some of the foundations, a pile of horseshoes, a bear trap grown into a tree, and a tram rail that might have something to do with a sluice that once led from White Brook Station. We also found the frames to deserted trucks, a Reo and Stevens of 1920 vintage.
     Audrey recalled her experience as a schoolgirl newly returned from Brownville, when she almost got caught under the wheel of the old railroad turntable. We found the concrete foundations of the old turntable. The tracks and rails long since had been removed.(Continued next week)

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     Here we are smack dab into hurricane season. On the news tonight they announced that tomorrow night they are going to do a story about Hurricane Carol that hit Maine back in 1954. I was 7 years old and believe it or not, I vaguely remember that big hurricane. It is the only big hurricane that I remember when I was a kid, so it must be the one. I don't have any memory of it actually storming....I just remember the next morning. The

whole yard was a mass of twigs. We had several big trees in our yard then...a big oak, a huge apple tree, and then a couple of ugly trees that my father referred to as box elders. Those trees are all gone now, except the oak. But the morning after that storm the yard was completely littered with twigs. It must have a been a terrible mess to clean up. I don't remember that part of it, just the mass of twigs on the ground.
     One hot July day back in 1985 we were sitting on bleachers at the Davis Field in Brownville Junction where my husband was playing softball. The sky got black and all of a sudden the sky opened up and it poured. I mean poured!! We all made a mad dash for our cars and that game was kissed goodbye. We tentatively started our cars and very gingerly exited the parking lot. We couldn't drive very fast because the rain was still coming in sheets. We got out onto Route 11 and headed towards Milo. By the time we got to the Village we were experiencing rain in such a torrent that we had to pull off the road and wait the storm out. Finally the rain slowed and we made our way to Milo. We did a few errands in town and then headed back to Brownville and out to the camp at Schoodic where we were staying. Along the sides of the roads we started noticing hail stones about dime sized.....lots of them.....lots and lots of them. This was truly weird. When we got to Fire Road 9 there were some trees down and when we got to camp we were totally astounded to see our huge pine tree completely uprooted and laid over into the lake....thank God. Had the tree fallen the other way it would have surely taken out our camp.
     A few years after that storm there was a huge hurricane that was supposed to hit us here in Maine. I think it was a hurricane that developed late in the the fall. It may have been the year after the Homestead, Florida fiasco. We tracked the storm for days as it made it's way up the east coast. There were terrible predictions of the damage it was going to do to homes both on the coast and inland. Lists were provided to cautious homeowners of precautions that needed to be taken in their homes. Tape up your picture windows, draw the bathtub full of water, be sure to have new batteries in all of your flashlights and in a radio, fill oil lamps and have them washed and ready to go. The list went on and on, and we felt that the responsible thing for us to do was to obey the weather people and get as prepared as we could. The sky turned a murky color late in the day, and somewhere around 9:00 p.m. the storm hit. It lasted about half an hour. It blew some warm air through town....possibly a little rain. We stood on the back porch and laughed hysterically at ourselves for the nitwits that we were. I suppose that we'd have been heroes if the storm had been what they had predicted. I think that that was the storm that finally soured me on weathermen.
     Remembering those storms reminds me of the flood of '87 that left the town in darkness for so many days. I'll never forget waking up that morning to a bright sunny sky and neighbors walking towards town...telling us that they'd heard it was bad down on the bridge. It was 6:30 a.m. and the town was alive with people. Main Street was lined with parked cars....both sides of the street. Everyone who could get up to Main Street was surveying the unbelievable scene at the foot of the hill. Many of you remember what it looked like, I'm sure. Our power had been out since just before supper the night before. We'd fixed supper by cooking in and on our wood furnace down in the cellar. The Clark's swimming pool next door provided water by the pail full to flush the toilet, and there was just enough snow left in the yard to melt down to wash dishes and do spit baths. We had heard that there was a possibility that there wouldn't be any water from the tap by morning, so I had drawn off some jugs of water for drinking. I guess they were right about that, as I remember that the lack of drinking water was an issue for many days. There was some old dirty ice left in the backyard and we chunked that up and put it in coolers to use for refrigeration. Cousin Karen had a gas stove in her kitchen next door which was a lifesaver. School was canceled for some days and I don't think my husband could get to Derby much that week,

Page 6

either. Everything was in turmoil. I have quite a few pages in a photo album of that week.
     Oh, the excitement of weather. People get so excited about it. It's exhilarating and scary. Life wouldn't be nearly as interesting if we didn't have weather to think about..... and get excited about.....and just plain talk about. What a bore Southern California must be, right? Or Hawaii? Borrrrrrrring. Yeah right! That's a kind of bored I could probably get accustomed to.
     Well, my mouth is just about as watered as it can be for fresh vegetables. I can't wait for a buttered ear of corn.....or a cucumber all sliced and floating in vinegar with salt and pepper. Yum! I completely missed beet greens this year. I don't know what happened that I forgot to go over to the farm and get some, but tomorrow I may do just that. I had some great meals last week, though. Have you tried the rotisserie chickens from SAMS?
     They cost under $5.00, and I got two meals out of one of those little chickens. The first night I just served the chicken with homemade bread and some nice Stanchfield Farms pickles, some cottage cheese and a dish of cranberry sauce. The second night I made a chicken pie. I keep packages of chicken gravy mix in my pantry and I used two of those packages for this pie. I bought a package of Pillsbury piecrusts (why make your own when Pillsbury makes it best!) and a box of Stove Top Stuffing mix. I cooked a bag of frozen peas and now let me tell you we had some kind of supper! I also tried the manicotti from SAMS. It comes frozen in trays....each manicotti is flash frozen separately. I had about a half of a meatloaf left over from a prior nights supper. I broke up the meatloaf and sprinkled it in the pan. I scooped some spaghetti sauce (out of the jar - Prego Chunky Garden) and put that over the meat...laid on the manicotti....sprinkled some more meatloaf and then finished topping it all with more of the sauce. I put it in the oven at the temperature that it recommended on the package of manicotti and let it cook until it reached 185 degrees on my meat thermometer. It took longer than the directions had said. This, with a tossed salad and a loaf of Coles Garlic Bread from the freezer section of the grocery store, was a wonderful supper....and so easy. If I hadn't had the left over meatloaf, I would have just used the jarred sauce alone with those delicate manicotti.
     I hope you get some nice supper ideas from this week's column.

My Italy Trip Part 7
Wednesday Feb 5th
     We woke up to wind and rain so the trip to Capri had to be cancelled. At 8:30 Steff and I walked around town to find CDs of Italian music. Many of the stores didn’t open until 9. Carla had tried to arrange an expedition to a place near Salerno where they are doing an archeological dig but it was too wet for that as well.
     She suggested that anyone who wished could take the train to Vico Equense, the first town on the peninsula and eat at the University of Pizza. They are so well known for their pizza that even people from Naples across the bay where pizza was invented come to this place to eat. Twelve of us decided to go. To ride the train in Italy you must buy a ticket at a designated store. You are then supposed to put it in a machine to validate it when you get on the train. In our case we were issued new tickets and the machines were not changed so we had to validate them ourselves by putting the time we left on the ticket. We had to do the same with the return ticket. Carla said if the conductor finds you on the train with an invalidated ticket then he could arrest you. Since it cost a dollar each way, I figured it wasn’t worth the chance. The train left at 10:37 and we arrived in Vico before 11. It made four stops before arriving in Vico. The rain had subsided so it was pleasant to walk around town. When we reached the center of town we noticed a number of men watching a sewer truck flush a plugged sewer. I think I could find a more interesting thing to do, but it seemed to be the topic of conversation. The pizza place didn’t open until 12 so we decided to look around town. Angela, Georgia and Eloise were interested in looking in clothing shops so Steff and I took off on our own. We noticed a church with different architecture on a side street and decided to check it out. To get there, we had to pass the sewer truck. Unfortunately the

sewer decide to back up just as we passed and Steff got splashed. She wasn’t amused! Later we poked around a pastry shop and I found my favorite dessert. In Italian it is called Coda D’Aragosta. It translates into English as Lobster Tail. When I get to the North End of Boston, I always buy some there. I haven’t found any other place that makes them. It looks something like a cream horn but one end is about 3 inches wide and tapers to a point on the other end. It is filled with some sort of a ricotta cheese filling. The filling is different from a canoli and is very tasty. I was nice and shared it with other members of the tour as we waited for 12 o’clock to arrive.
     At 12 we all met and followed Carla to the pizza place. It is very large. They have four huge ovens heated with wood inside. All pizzas are a meter long. In fact they advertise pizza by the meter. There were so many different kinds we decided to let Carla and the waiter choose them for us. As a group of 13 we ordered three. We had the Margarita or cheese pizza, the second was ham and mushroom and the third was half escarole and cheese with no tomato sauce and the other half was sausage and broccoli. In all with the tip it came to 130 Euro or approximately ten dollars each ($130).
     After lunch we took the train back to Sorrento. We met a lot of high school students waiting for the train. In Italy the high schools are specialized. If you want a career in the arts you go to one, farming or landscaping another, engineering still another and so on. This necessitates students taking the train to their special school. The students from Capri have to find a place to board in a mainland town because it is not possible to get off the island every day.
     At 4 Steff and I went shopping again and this time found our CDs. At 6 we had a lecture by an American woman who married an Italian and moved to Italy. She explained all the adjustments she had to make. For one thing, they didn’t have refrigerators years ago because all shopping was done every day. She became a citizen when she married her husband.
     At 7 Georgia, Angela, Eloise and I went to a private home of a chef. Pat, Jeanne, and her sister-in-law had signed up before leaving the US to take a one-day cooking lesson from the chef. They could invite guests to eat the meal after they had prepared it. Around a dozen of us went including Carla. Steff didn’t want to go because they were having lamb and she doesn’t like it. The name of the place was Mama Camilas. You can find it on the Internet. We ate in the family dining room. The idea came about when one of their sons who visited California thought it would be a nice way for his father to stay at home instead of moving from one restaurant to another across Europe. We had escarole pizza, a tossed salad, white vegetable lasagna, potato dumplings with Sorrentine sauce (gnocchi), a lamb fricassee and a delicious fruit tart for desert. They also had homemade red and white wines. All the vegetables were raised in the back yard and the lamb came from a family farm up in the hills. A good time was had by all. We returned to the hotel around 10.
     Since Steff didn’t go, it was her job to pick up a lemon cake we had purchased to take to Carpinone tomorrow. She had a little trouble communicating with the baker but finally made it back to the hotel and asked the kitchen crew to store it in their refrigerator until morning. The waiters jokingly thanked her for providing their dessert.
     Next week, Carpinone

     William Taylor Livermore was born in Sebec, Maine in 1840, the sixth child of David Livermore and Sarah Taylor Livermore. David Livermore owned property in the southwest corner of Milo, very near the Milo-Sebec line, on the banks of the Piscataquis River.

The following are letters to his brother.

                    Camp 20th Maine Vols.
                    Near Fort Conahey, Virginia

Nov. 28, 1864
Dear Cousin Jonathan;

Page 7

     Yours of the 12th inst. was received last night. It got miscarried some way, for it was forwarded from some other place. I was glad to hear from you again and to hear that you are all well. I am glad Abel is gaining, for he has had a long hang of sickness and ought to have a pension. Jonathan, I haven’t much news to write you. We are in camp between the Weldon & South side Railroad about 2 _ ms. from Petersburg. We are close to our front line of works and about 15 rods from Fort Conahy, which is the best one I ever saw in the field. It has cost, to reckon labor, more than $20,000 to build it. It was named for Lt. Conahy of the 118th of our Brigade, who was killed in charging a large Rebel fort that is about fifty rods behind it. Our picket line is about one hundred rods in front of us and the Reb. pickets are only a short distance in front of them. Our main line of work - - - I just jumped up to see Gen. Meade and staff as they went clanking by my tent. There is no picket firing in front of our corps. But deserters come in often every night they come in. There has been as many as one hundred come into this corps, in one night & day. Last week three came into our Co. while they (or a detail) were on picket. One of them was a preacher. Yesterday in the 9th Corps about half a mile from here a Reb. Gen. went out of their picket line towards ours to exchange papers, as the privates often do, and our boys gobbled him. The 31st Maine is only half a mile from here. H. Landphere, J. Joy, and the rest of the Sebec and Milo boys are all well. Abraham is surely re-elected and will have the opportunity of whipping the Rebels out yet.
     What do you think of Sherman going through the Confederacy to the Gulf or Atlantic Coast? I think it will be the greatest thing done yet. He will go through the most important part of the Conf. and destroy railroads, foundries, powder mills, and take darkies, horses, mules, and cattle as he goes and wherever he strikes on the coast he will surely bring it. Sherman is one of the most able Generals in the United States in my opinion. J., I wish you could come into my tent and see how we live. I tent with the officers cook and we have as nice a house as I want to live in after I get home and take My Sarah. Oh, where is Sarah, is she to your house? I never shall think so much of you as I should if you had not left her as you did after making such promises as you did and then going over to Atkinson and taking that Three Hundred Pounder. Sergeant Crocker of Co. B. went home yesterday morning on furlough. I received a letter from Charles three nights ago . He said Andrew was very sick with diptheria and I am worried and shall be until I hear from them again. But I am in hopes to hear more favorable news next time. I hope father will be careful of his leg and not get cold. My health is first rate and my arm is gaining strength some. Capt. Morrill has got back and is well. It is most time for parade and I must close. Remember that long letter on the receipt of this. My respects to all the family and Ezekiel’s folks.
Your cousin,
          (signed) Wm. T. Livermore
          J.A. Chase
Camp 20th Maine Vol Near Hatcher’s Run, Va. Feb. 26, 1865

Friend Abbie,
     After a very long time I find an opportunity to answer your letter dated Nov. 29th which I received the day after we returned from the raid on the Weldon Railroads. It was cold weather and we were ordered to build winter quarters which is not a light job, and by the time we were fairly in camp with a convenient place to write, we broke camp again on the 5th of Feb. and moved to the left across Hatcher’s Run where we had some fighting and much suffering. After fortifying the line we fell back across the Run and went into camp where we now are.
     We have built quarters three times this winter and we don’t expect to stay here many days. But at present we are in good quarters and the Regt. has but very few on the sick report.
     My health has been very good since I joined the Regt. and my arm is stronger than I thought it ever would be. I took a musket Oct. 27th and have kept it ever since. I am the only one left in the company of the thirteen that came with me. I suppose Will is at home yet. I hear from him by the way of my folks and

some of the boys. I wrote him since I received a letter from him. I am glad he is getting along so well and that he is making you a long visit. I suppose it will be a long time before he gets fairly over his wounds. Abreil is making a good visit and I am glad he is.
     I received a letter from home this morning and learn that Benj. Sands of Sebec is dead and that many more in Milo are sick and dying. How very sickly it has been the past summer and fall. I believe there are more deaths according to the number of inhabitants than there are in the Army.
     We are having glorious news from North and South Carolina. Sherman seems to be victorious in all his campaigns and is now rewarding South Carolina for her treason. It is quite a gratification to know that the Stars and Stripes wave over Charleston and Fort Sumter again. Wilmington, if not all ready, must soon add to our important victories.
     Since Sherman’s victories and our move to the left, we see the effect it is having on Lee’s Army. They are deserting by hundreds. They average about one hundred a night to the 2nd Corps which joins us on our right. They are not only privates but many officers come in with them.
     Our Army is in the best of spirits and all think that this springs campaign will close this “cruel war.” God grant that it may. We count the months that we have to serve and will all be glad when the last one expires. But I must soon close. If Will is at home give him my best wishes and tell him that Sanborn joined us Friday and that Skillings Page and all of the boys are well.
     It is Sunday and I have been wishing that I could go to meeting for it has been three months since we have had any religious services at all. Our Chaplain is away most of the time so we might as well be without one. Three years in the service will be a good lesson to those that survive it. We shall know how to appreciate a good home and good society.
     I suppose your School is done by this time. I hope it has been a pleasant one. Please give my regards to your parents and Etta. Excuse all mistakes and receive this with the best wishes of your friend.
Sergeant William T. Livermore
Co. “B” 20th Maine Vols.
Editors note:This segment ends the Livermore Diaries. Thanks so much, Iris. I have gotten many positive remarks about this piece!

From the weather book of Mrs. Mabel McCleary.
JULY– 1966
July 29-Rain-60° at 7 pm.
July 30-Fog

I received the following e-mail in response to a story in a recent issue.
Hi Nancy,
     I had to write you after reading Kathy Witham's story about Fred and Abby Chadwick. I don't want to sound like an old timer but... During the summer of '58' (that's 1958 not 1858) I worked at the Kidney Pond Camps northwest of Millinocket. The guide and gardener was Fred Chadwick and the lady who did the laundry was his wife Abby.
     My main job there was washing dishes. But in the afternoons I had to help the handyman and Fred do other chores around the camps and there were a lot of jobs to do every day.
     This one particular day I had to help Fred weed the garden. It was a huge garden that was all fenced in so that the deer could not get at it. And being a teenage boy who had no interest in weeding gardens, I told Fred that I wanted to take a section of fence down so that the deer could clean out the garden. But after about two hours with Fred telling me all sorts of stories as we pulled weeds, the time flew by and I discovered that it could be quite a pleasant job after all.

Page 8

     Abby was also a very nice lady. She would tease Fred once in a while about taking younger guests (female guests) out fishing in the evening. She always said she wasn't worried about him, because if he ever took off his hat, he would show his age, as poor Fred didn't have much hair under that hat.
     All in all it was a pleasant summer. I enjoyed it very much, being able to share my summer with Fred and Abby up in at those camps.
     When I came home at the end of the summer, to start my senior year at B.J.H.S. in September, I thought I was rich with the two hundred and fifty dollars for my summer’s work. Little did I know then I really was rich, but not with money but the memories I had of my summer at Kidney Pond Camps with Fred and Abby.
Thanks, Tom Wallace

meet the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of each month at North Meets South Restaurant in Dover-Foxcroft. The meeting time is from 6 to 8 pm. Anyone interested in writing any genre is welcome to attend. The next meeting is August 5. For more information please call Victoria at 943-2400.

MILO area writer’s group is now meeting at the Country Style Restaurant on the Dover Road in Sebec on the 2nd Tuesday of each month. The meeting time is from 6 to 8 pm. For more information please call Victoria at 943-2400.



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at The Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Janet Richards or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President Edwin Treworgy greeted twenty members and guests Alice Kinney and her daughter, son-in-law, and grandson, Randa, Mark, and Addison.
     Eben DeWitt led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Dunham said a prayer for peace, guidance, and thoughts of those who have lost loved ones.
     Val Robertson was our inspirational reader today with a message about people knowing others by what they are not by what they look like. True friendship allows you to be not only yourself but also your best.
     Special anniversary wishes go out to Fred and Lois Trask on July 26!
     A letter from Brett Gerrish was read thanking the Kiwanis Club for presenting him with a book award at his recent graduation. It was our pleasure, Brett, and we wish you much success.
     We had the pleasure of hosting the induction of our newest members, Fay and Judith Stevens. Welcome!
     The July 30th weekly meeting will be held at the Bowerbank camp of Ed and Ethelyn Treworgy at 5:30 pm for an evening of games and a potluck supper. Ed handed out directions so check around if you want to attend but aren’t sure how to get there.
     Twenty (six from Frank) happy and sad dollars were donated for the Administrative Fund today for Frank being back, special guests, new members, and being glad we live in Maine.
     The first senior barbeque is today is LaGrange at the Town Hall Apartments at 5 pm.

     The Three Rivers News has reached a new record with 330 issues sold last week!
     The gazebo committee and any other interested parties will meet on July 23 and 24.
     Board meeting capsule: unanimously accepted Fay and Judith Stevens as new members, approved using proceeds from the October 25 coffee house, entertainment by Evergreen, for the gazebo project, approved a $1000 donation for the gazebo fund, and approved a quilt raffle to also benefit the gazebo fund.
     Our guest speakers today were Mark and Randa Rineer. They live in Landisville, Pennsylvania and are presently visiting Randa’s family in Atkinson. Mark works for a catalog printing company and Randa is in administration.
     They told us about trying for a family for nine years and three years ago were excited to discover that they were blessed with the news of Randa’s pregnancy. Their hopes were dampened during her forth month because an ultrasound showed multiple problems. The baby had a heart condition that probably meant a heart transplant after birth. In the fifth month the specialists told them the baby wouldn’t live long after birth due to complications from a rare but fatal chromosomal abnormality, Trisomy 18. Randa said the news was a nightmare come true as she had worked with physically and mentally challenged children.
     The diagnosis put them into immediate financial, emotional, and physical stress. They were amazed with the support of their community as help began pouring in. Mark and Randa received gifts, cards, restaurant and gas vouchers from so many people. They told us that God had sent people to help, not just in Pennsylvania but also worldwide. Instead of having a traditional baby shower a month before she was due, her friends and family hosted a Prayer shower. On February 17, 2001 their baby girl Isabel Cate was born and they said goodbye to her only 37 hours later. Randa said they had to plan for her funeral as soon as she was born.
     After going through this ordeal they wanted to talk to other Moms and Dads in similar circumstances. Mark and Randa wanted to start an Isabel Fund but a voice told her it should be Isabel’s Hope. The Isabel Cate Rineer Memorial Endowment in Perinatology was set up to provide hope for other women and their families who have received a handicapping and/or fatal diagnosis for their unborn child. The goal is to raise $100,000 and the main fund-raiser is a golf tournament. The money will go toward pre-natal care; family resources, education and research in the field of perinatology, and the struggle to just get through on a daily basis. A second chapter is beginning for another child from Lancaster, PA who has a heart condition and is called Isabel’s Hope-Faith Chapter.
     Mark and Randa were given the strength to have another child. Their sweet and personable 9-month-old Addison accompanied them to breakfast, enchanting everyone with his big brown eyes and happy smile. They told people to look at what they have, work with other groups in the area, make the community stronger, mentor someone in the area, and to remember that making money is important but to also look at what can be done for the community.
     Losing a child would have to be the most painful experience a mother and father could endure. Listening to Mark and Randa tell of their struggle was not easy but their strength and faith gives hope that others can and will benefit from their unselfish wish to help.
     If you would like to help, your contribution should be payable to Penn State University and sent to:
Office of University Development, A120
Isabel Cate Rineer Memorial Endowment
The Milton S. Hersey Medical Center
P.O. Box 852
Hershey, PA 17033-0852
Page 9

Page 10

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance