Three Rivers News, 2003-07-22
TUESDAY, JULY 22, 2003

     I received this letter from D.J. Martin asking if he could thank everyone for the support he has had. We would like to thank him for what he does for us and for America.
     I would like to put a thank you in the News , if I may. On Saturday the Brownville American Legion, Sons and Auxiliary held an Open House for me. It was wonderful to be able to see and thank a large group of people for all the support I received from this area. It was great!
     The men with me in Iraq could not believe that the amount of mail and boxes I received and shared with them, came from our small community.
I had a difficult time in Iraq and your mail made it a little easier. I wish the timing was different so that I might have gone to the schools and thanked all the children for their letters.
     I am very glad I was able to come back to Maine to rest before starting back to work. While I travel to many places I continue to realize how special this area and it's people truly are. Here are pictures from Saturday of some scouts who came to see me and two of the classroom teachers I wrote to ( Tammy Murano and Nancy Barden).

     The Brownville Jct. American Legion will be holding an afternoon of free Bingo for children ages 6 to 13 on Saturday, August 2, 2003 at 12:00 pm. There will be prizes awarded to the winner of each game. We will also be playing a jackpot game. The winner of this game will win the grand prize of the day. Refreshments will be on sale.

FROM 11 AM – 2PM
Proceeds are used for local projects

     Two daughters, Kiran Irene and Lauren Ainsley Morrill, were born to Holly and Jamie Morrill of Coventry, Rhode Island on June 24, 2003 at Kent Hospital in Warwick, Rhode Island.
     Maternal grandparents are Wilfred and Annie Brown of West Enfield. Paternal grandparents are Lawrence and Donna Morrill of Brownville Junction. Great grandparents are Donald and Helen Cobb of Brownville Junction.

     In conjunction with Alumni Weekend on August 9, 2003, from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM we will be offering a shuttle service at both ends of the trail. Park your vehicle at either Davis Field in Brownville Junction or the Community Church on Church Street, Brownville Village and we will shuttle you back to your vehicle after you complete the nature walk along the trail. The trail is approximately 3 miles along the Pleasant River with beautiful views. It is maintained and easy walking, however appropriate footwear is recommended.
     The Brownville Recreation Department will have their snack shack at Davis Field open for refreshments. They will be serving hot dogs, burgers, nachos, drinks and more throughout the day.
     We will be having a drawing for all participants who walk the trail on that day. Prizes will be drawn at 2:00 PM in front of the snack shack. There is no cost for the drawing and you do not need to be present to win. The only requirement to enter is that you participate in our event by walking the trail. We hope that you will join us to enjoy the natural beauty of the Pleasant River Walk Trail.

Page 1

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings






Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. The Public Works Department once had a special (a) bulldozer (b) plow (c) truck (d) mechanic.
2. The tallest basketball player was (a) Bill Davis (b) Gene Brown (c) Don Gilson (d) Richard Grant.
3. (a) Jud Briggs (b) Norman Robinson (c) Bob Henderson (d) Rev. Loudon once threw a Christmas party for kids.
4. Rev. Hezekiah May was a graduate of (a) Harvard University (b) Tufts (c) UConn (d) Yale Divinity School.

5. Ralph Berg got his start selling (a) land (b) horses (c) pens (d) salve.
6. Jim Winters came to BJHS for (a) history talks (b) teacher assessment (c) record hops (d) placement interviews.
7. John Heath was (a) the first white settler (b) the first teacher (c) the first town manager (d) the first selectman.
8. He later moved to (a) Bangor (b) Dover (c) Sebec (d) Atkinson
9. Kenneth Ellis and Hank Strout were (a) bus drivers (b) scoutmasters (c) firemen (d) tax assessors.
10. Walter McClain and Charlie Foulkes were (a) wrestlers (b) singers (c) store owners (d) constables.

Answers:1-b 2-d 3-c 4-d 5-c 6-c 7-a 8-d 9-b 10-d

Moscow Cont'd
     I spent a lot of time with Suzanna, who spoke cute English. She wore the same red skirt and white sweater all the time I was with her. Since I gave her cab money to return to her apartment, I wondered why she never changed. Were rank-in-file Russians that poor.
     Did Suzanna have an ulterior motive? She wanted me to buy her a coat at the dollar store. Igor, a cab driver ,wanted me to buy him cigarettes there, too..
     One night some hoods came into my room to exchange hockey memorabilia. I got a torn Russian hockey shirt, which I still have.
     The four hockey games were close, but the Russians won the series, led by Valeri Kharlomov, Alexander Yakushev, and Vladislav Tretiak, possibly the best goalie ever. Ralph Backstrom of the Chicago Cougars was named player of the series for the Canadian team, winning a tour of the Soviet Union.
     Instead of booing, Russians whistle. It was eerie hearing 12,000 fans whistle together.
     I played basketball three times with Russians on an outdoor court with glass backboards, which I had never seen. For two days, I practiced with boys and girls in their late teens, who welcomed me onto the court. The coach, Alexander, gave me a Russian dictionary and was concerned about my heart.
     I found the Russians very pavlovian in their game-highly repetitive but good moves.

On August 8 at 7:00 pm the BJHS Alumni Annual Meeting will be held at the Alumni Building in Brownville Jct..
On August 9 the Alumni Building
will be open at 1:00 pm for socializing.
At 5:00 pm there will be a buffet dinner.
Cost is $14.00 per person and
all BJHS Alumni are invited to attend.
Following the buffet there will be live entertainment. Join Ronald Knowles and bring an instrument, your voices, your talent and participate in the after dinner fun !
Direct inquiries to : Linda Coburn

     I want to thank all that made our Strawberry Festival a big success. I want to thank especially the many folks who turned out to enjoy the supper and support our UMW group in its mission projects.

Page 2

Low-cost Clinic Now Available Tuesdays at Red Earth
     The clinic will be open Tuesdays 2-5pm at Red Earth, 26 Main St., Milo. Shortened Polarity, craniosacral and consultations are available for $5 during this time. Call for appointment or walk-in by availability. This is a great time to come in and ask questions and find out more about services, also. This clinic time is a way to provide this service to all, regardless of income. It can be used weekly or occasionally. The way for this service to continue is for it to be used, so come and see the benefits for yourself. Call 943-2325 for more information.

     The Skowhegan Motocross Track race on July 13th, attracted 6 local boys . JUSTIN MORRILL raced in the 125 Youth class and finished 8th overall out of 21 bikes. KOLE STEVENS also raced in the 125th class and finished 9th overall. We also watched LUKE LANDRY race in this class and he finished 11th overall. TREVOR LYFORD raced in the 50CC 7-9 class and finished 8th overall out of 16. He also raced in the ATV class and came home with a 2nd place trophy.
     KYLE FOSS raced in the 85C class with 19 other bikes and came home with another 1st place trophy. He also raced in the 85B class and finished 12th overall out of 28. DUSTIN BISHOP was the other racer....Dustin got a 3rd place trophy in the 250 Novice class and raced a great race in the 125 Novice class coming away with a 1st place trophy in that class. GREAT JOB GUYS!

     As I mentioned in last week’s column, I was on vacation earlier this month. We enjoyed a week with our son Malcolm and family in North Carolina. Our son Arthur and his two children also came for a few days. Malcolm’s family had just acquired a 7 week old toy poodle puppy. Carly was a darling and very popular with everyone. To me she looked just like a little wind-up dog.
     The big adventure of our visit was a family canoe trip. Eleven of us (with varying canoe ability-from none to experienced) made the trip on the New River in Jefferson, NC. What a shock around the bend when the Lazee River became the Allagash. Rapids, ripples and actual drops stunned and terrified many of our younger members and yours truly. There were two tipovers with the same canoe (not mine, thank goodness), but there was no way out except forward so we all finished the trip. I was proud that the teens and youngsters did so well, and that the family had accepted and completed the challenge.
     An apology to our patrons, I ordered two copies of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix to enable us to keep up with demand. My first copy from Baker & Taylor arrived early, but the copy I ordered from PQLS has not arrived yet. After two phone calls, I learned that they received only half their first order, but that they are expecting the rest of the order momentarily and will rush our copy ASAP. Hopefully for our patrons’ sakes we will soon have it.
     Nancy Scroggins was the community story time reader for Week 3. One of the stories read was One fish, two fish, red fish, blue fish by Dr. Seuss as the children enjoyed a snack of Pepperidge Farm colored goldfish and juice. Jane Jones, our town manager was the reader for Week 4. We are so pleased that members of the community participate as readers because this informs children that reading is so important in all occupations. They see first hand that our community leaders are willing to give their time to impart this message to the children.

     The library received large donations of gift books during my absence. Dr. Ralph Monroe brought in two large boxes of science fiction paperbacks which will be great reading for our sci/fi fans. Thank you, Dr. Monroe. We also received two boxes of books from Irv Fletcher. Irv sent a box of recent fiction (some new mysteries too) and a box of recent non-fiction. We will be working hard in our spare time to get these new books ready. All these gift books are wonderful additions to our library collection and give our patrons many more choices.

Library Summer Hours
Telephone 943-2612

A Historical Review - Part 1
Remnants of Community Still Live at Katahdin Iron Works, Township once boasted 300 residents, railroad spur.
BDN, by E.L. Boutilier, August 1987
     Katahdin Iron Works TWP - Maintained and slightly publicized by the Maine Bureau of Parks and Recreation, the ruins of the former iron smelter and "brick beehive" where charcoal was made only whets one's appetite for more lore surrounding the Katahdin Iron Works community, which once had about 300 residents and its own railroad spur to Brownville Junction some 10 miles south. "K.I." as the area is known locally, produced about 2,000 tons of iron ore annually during its heyday from 1873 to 1890. It boasted a post office and a hotel and printed its own script.
     Katahdin Iron Works is well visited by natives, especially in fishing, hunting, trapping and camping seasons. Few of them, however, bother to delve into the historical facts or seek to uncover more ruins than those the state keeps bared.
Many articles have been published about K.I. and even more about its famed manager and caretaker, Sara E. "Maw" Green, who remained active into her 82nd year. For the tourist in 1987, detailed information might be sought most easily by purchasing a 1983 publication by William R. Sawtell of Brownville. Unfortunately, nothing is sold at K.I. One had best prepare by making a purchase at Brownville or Brownville Junction.
     There is another way, though, and a more delightful one: A person can seek out a few people with memories that cover K.I.'s history. One of these is Audrey Green Dunning of Bangor, who plans each year to spend two weeks in August at her camp on the shores of Silver Lake. Another couple, Rod and Ruth Taylor spend about eight months a year at K.I. and live across the bridge on Dog Street.
     Audrey Dunning is the daughter of Sara "Maw" Green who has been described as the "last pioneer of Maine." She has a younger sister, Pauline, and a younger brother, Harry, who was the last student to attend elementary classes in the last school at K.I. (1933). Harry lives in Brownville.
     Audrey's great-grandfather, William Cobb, was known as the "governor of K.I." before her mother became the "mayor." Audrey's memories of her mother, who died in 1969, are quite fresh and she has been a source for many of the facts already reported elsewhere.
     Some of her best memories involve the last schoolhouse at K.I., which also served as a church meeting place and a community hall. One of the reasons may be that she possesses the bell from the schoolhouse. She has mounted it on small wheels so she can easily move it from room to room in her camp.

Page 3

     The bell is undated but lettered, "The G.S. Bell Co., No. 22 Hillsboro, Ohio." The bell was used when Audrey's mother, Sara, went to the K.I. school in 1890 at age 6. There were 40 pupils then. By 1933, the vanishing community had only 40 residents and one pupil.(Continued next week)

My Italy Trip Part 6
Tuesday, Feb 4
     Today I ate only cereal and fruit for breakfast in the dining hall because I had salami, cheese and bread in the room. I wish we could get the good salami in the US. Since we can’t I am enjoying it here.
     At 8:30 we left for the Amalfi Coast. Our driver was Lello again. The Amalfi Coast is on the southern side of the Sorrentine Peninsula. It is much more rugged than the north side where Sorrento is. The land drops almost vertically down from the mountains into the water. At least on the Sorrento side there is a tuffa plain. To cross to the other side of the peninsula we had to cross over the mountains at Meta, a town near Sorrento. The day was misty and in the mountains it had snowed.
     Our guide was Manuella. She was a riot and put everyone at ease immediately. As we crossed over the crest of the mountains she pointed out the Sirens, two islands just off shore. Legend has it that the Sirens sang so beautifully that they lured Greek sailors to their death on the rocks. Ulysses, a Greek sailor wanted to hear them so he had his crew stuff their ears so they couldn’t hear and had them lash him to the mast so he could hear the Sirens without jumping overboard. Manuella told us that Rudolf Nureyev built a villa on the islands and lived there until he died.
     In the drive along the Amalfi Coast, the buses can only travel in one direction because the road has 1190 sharp curves and it would be impossible for two buses to pass. Lello had to blow his horn at each corner to let any cars coming in the other direction that we were approaching so they could stop. There was a bus from Germany in front of us and the driver was not familiar with the road so he moved very slowly. When he got a chance he let us by and followed us. Our first stop was high on the cliffs above Positano. Everyone got off the bus to take photos. Manuella treated us to some dried tomato she got from the local farmers. It was excellent and everyone ended up buying some. I also bought some dried spaghetti sauce made from hot peppers and garlic. The actual town of Positano has such narrow streets that the bus is not allowed in. As we approached the small towns along the coast we noticed a lot of no parking signs. The problem was that most areas had cars. I asked Manuella. She said this was the land of flexibility and the signs meant that you couldn’t park there unless there was no place else to park. As on the Sorrento side, there were only a few rocks on the edge of the road to keep vehicles from going over. This was definitely not a place to speed!
     Along the route some enterprising people had carved a store into the side of the mountain and cleared enough space for a bus to park. It was full of trinkets. One of the specialties of the area was ceramic tile. It was a little too gaudy for me. I did buy a coke. To get one you had to go to the cashier and buy it and then take the ticket to the refreshment counter. The German bus arrived shortly after we did. I have never experienced such pushy people. They were downright rude. I don’t understand because I had wonderful experiences with the people in Germany itself. Manuella told us that most tourists from Germany were that way, but if you met them at home they were very nice. She also said Americans are too polite. If you brush against someone in Europe you don’t say excuse me. It is just accepted as a fact of life.
     About half way through the trip Manuella had us swap sides of the bus so everyone could have the nice view. She said that this was a very romantic area and the men should pay special attention to their wives. Steff told her I was her father not a spouse. After that Manuella started calling me Papa. She called Angela and Georgia the Spice Girls.
     Our next stop on the coast was Amalfi itself. Today it is a small fishing port. At one time, however, it was a very important seaport rivaling Genoa and Venice. St. Andrew’s Cathedral

dominates the center of town. It is built in the Moorish style with alternating black and white stone. The top is finished in the Byzantine style. It took so many years to complete the style of architecture changed. Under the church are the bones of St. Andrew that were brought there by important men from the prospering seaport. Inside the church is a gold bust of St. Andrew. On his breast is a piece of his bone that is supposed to weep on St. Andrew’s day.
     We left Amalfi and drove up a deep ravine with lots of twists and turns until we reached Scala. We were treated to a lunch at a restaurant with a wonderful view. We were served salad, veal, string beans and a cake with lemons and oranges. Looking across to the other side of the gorge we saw Ravello, another small town. After lunch we crossed over and explored a little. The bus could not enter town so we walked in the rain to the castle of the Rudolfo family. It is now pretty much in ruins. Wagner spent a number of summers at this castle and wrote some of his operas here. Today it is the hometown of Gore Vidal. If the weather had been better we might have seen him in one of the coffee shops. The Rudolfo castle is built on the edge of a cliff. A platform is built out over the cliff each summer where a full orchestra plays Wagner’s music. I wouldn’t want to be in the orchestra as the drop is over 1000 ft. down if you fall off.
     The rain really came down so we headed back to the bus. It was so windy that umbrellas had to be kept very close to the body. We crossed back over the mountains at what is called the Valicodi Chunzi and were met with rain, sleet, snow and hail. It took over an hour to travel about 10 miles because the road twisted so much.
     We arrived back at the hotel at 4. Angela went to the dentist to pick up her teeth. She said they fit better than they did before.
     We went back to the Aurora restaurant for supper. It was so cold that it spit snow. The natives were staring in disbelief. At the restaurant I had noodles with meat sauce, bruschetta (Brrru sketta, roll the r), and a crème custard with caramel for dessert. Steff and Eloise stopped at the Internet café while the rest of us went back to our rooms.
     If the weather cooperates we plan to go to Capri tomorrow on the hydrofoil.

     WILLIAMSBURG - Ollie E. Worster, 94, wife of the late Frank A. Worster, died July 12, 2003, at a Dover-Foxcroft nursing home. She was born Feb. 5, 1909, in Williamsburg Township, the daughter of George F. and Florence (Burton) Cunningham. She had attended the Brownville community church. Ollie was predeceased by a sister, Emaline Mcleod. She is survived by three sons, Clarence of Williamsburg, Allen of Orneville, Frank Jr. of Williamsburg; three daughters, Ethel French of Brownville, Donna Dearborn of Dexter, Patricia Wilman of Fullerton, Calif.; one brother, Nelson Cunningham of Guilford, Conn.; 21 grandchildren; 29 great-grandchildren; seven great-great-grandchildren; several nieces and nephews. Burial will be in the family lot in the Brownville village cemetery.

     EXETER - Shaine David Roberts, 23, died July 13, 2003. He was born Nov. 23, 1979. He rode in hard and rode out the same way. Twenty-three years of life started in Texas and Texas held forever in his heart. He is our strength, our bond, our son, our brother, our family. You're not gone just living in a different music where if we listen we'll still feel your love. "Our son then, now, forever, luv you, Dad and Mom." A brother's word is never broken, we love you, bro, Coburn, Ryan, Jesse, Adam, Jimmy, Russell; nephew, Coby Jr., who will forever be told your stories; godparents, Kirby and Nancy Roberts, David and Bee McCain; sisters-in-law, Aileen, Patti; grandparents, Lorraine and Marty Fitzpatrick, Marjorie Mosher; aunts and uncles, Mart and Jen Fitzpatrick, Laurie and Mark Priest, Sheila and Bill Corbett, Sharon Cocoran, Laura Smith, Bob and Beve Roberts, Ding and Nora Roberts, Shirely Wiltshire and Roy and Pat McSorley; cousins, numbered too many to name that know who they each are in his heart and ours, from Texas to Maine. Family isn't about blood it's the heart that holds you, Diedra Clark and Tami Elizabith McCain, Gary, Dan, and Barb Mitchell, Jimmy and Adeline Harrington, Deke and Mary Wright, Lilly Wade, Mike White, Sherri and Josh Skye, Mike

Page 4

Corina; uncle, Tubby Hargroves, uncle, Robert Reviea, Tim Rayven Marconi, Sarah Micah Hale, Sandy and Beth Grant and so many more to name that miss your smile and will listen for your laugh. Geronimo will watch for your light. Memorial services were held at the Thompson Funeral Home.

     William Taylor Livermore was born in Sebec, Maine in 1840, the sixth child of David Livermore and Sarah Taylor Livermore. David Livermore owned property in the southwest corner of Milo, very near the Milo-Sebec line, on the banks of the Piscataquis River.
     William’s diary begins In August 1862, shortly after he was mustered into the 20th Maine Volunteers. Probably to pass time on the trip to Washington and Virginia, he began making a record of the trip and he continued even as his unit went from one battle area to another. He gives an excellent picture of their living conditions and the thoughts he had about the war and about family back at home.
     The following are letters to his brother.
July 9th:
     Near South Mountain or within 6 miles of the old Antietam battlefield, MD.
     Charles, since I wrote the above we have marched to this place. We stayed to Middletown last night in the same field where we were last fall. Our men got water out of the same spring, washed in the same ditches and got my straw to sleep on out of the same stack. We have had some hard marching but never did men endure hardship with more fortitude than all of our Army. It has been the maddest that I ever saw it. Charles, I got a mail yesterday morning, the first since we left Frederick, making only two since leaving Ellis Ford. I received Phebe Laws and yours, David’s and Mother’s on the 21st and yours and the girls on the 28th. Also the diary you sent me which you thought was not very good, but they are good enough. You had better not send any more til I write you. I sent one last week that is full. I received a paper also. All for which I was very thankful. I sent a letter the 4th and 5th. When you write mention the dates of the letters and if you received a letter written to Aldie after the Cavalry fight. Charles we are all in the best of spirits over our victories. We got a yesterday paper. I think there is no doubt but Vicksburg is ours. Is not that glorious? And Lee is here probably nearly all of his force on the Potomac and the river must be very high. I never saw a more powerful rain than we had yesterday, but now it is nice weather. There are several Corps ahead of us and we must be within 6 or 8 miles of the Reb Army. I hope we shall have another big battle on this side of the river for we had better fights than here than in VA. I will close and write some to Mother. Write soon and all the news and receive this from your Brother William.
     I want you to plant these cherry seeds this fall, for they are what is called May cherries. They grow in fields and by the fences. They are superior to some cherries. They commence to bear when they are 5 or 6 years old and the trees grow two feet through, as large as any yellow birch tree, with bushels of cherries. They are about gone now but we have had a rich crop. Blackberries are now ripe and there is no end to them. Apples are getting to be good now.
Camp 20th Maine Vols.
Near Poplar Grove Church, Va.
Oct. 12th, 1864
Dear Cousin Jonalthan:
     I believe I promised that I would write you after returning and I think you will agree with me in saying this is after. But time has passed rapidly with me and I have neglected you, as I have some others that asked me to write. But as a great many have not even answered my letters I think I am not much indebted to the good people of Maine in this respect. But four pages of this would not satisfy you and I will say that Sept. 30th the 5th Corps advanced about two miles. Our Division, which is the first, charged the main line of rebel work, including a formidable fort with deep ditches and abatis. They carried the works and

took one splendid rifled gun and a large squad of prisoners, including a Maj. Our Brig. did this. The 9th Corps came up and formed on our left and they had a sharp fight. The 20th went into the fight with 170 guns and they lost in killed and wounded 68. Capt. Keene of Co. A was killed. Co. B lost 5. Wm. N. Jackson was mortally wounded and died that night, our 1st Sergt. R.B. Decker wounded in neck, Sergt. Wm. H. Owen seriously through the left breast, C.A. Skillings right breast, Richardson arm. There was from one to 3 Sergeants wounded or killed in every Co. I believe there was only 7 Sergts. and 13 Corpls. In the Regt. after the fight. I was in the rear while the fight lasted, as I have not been armed yet. I drew rations for the Co. that is about one or two hours duty a day and that is all with no guard duty. I think I can see that my arm is a little better than it was when I came back, but it is weak and the least I do the better it is.
     We are now Southwest of Petersburg, within two miles of the other Rebel Southside Railroad that comes into Petersburg on the west. On our right they are fighting night and day. I mean on the James River. I saw the list of your drafted men in Sebec and was quite well satisfied with it. How does politics rage with you this fall? Are you going to do anything for McClellan or will you see him go down with his rotten platform in November? Our Regt. will not give him ten votes if I judge right, for I have not heard a man say that they would vote for him. Lincoln will get an overwhelming majority in the Army. I received a letter from home a few days since. They wrote that Abel was gaining slowly, but thought his knee would always trouble him some. We are having fine weather, but it is rather cool for open Ponchio tents. We have had 82 recruits for this Regt. Co. B got 23. We now have 38 in the Company. WE expect Charles Chase up soon. I suppose you are getting in the potatoes and turning over the land about this time. There is a little brook near and I can smell mink this weather and must set a few traps and skirmish a little for partridges. I have a new revolver, Remington’s largest size, athat will do as good execution as a good rifle. But I must close. Give my regards and best wishes to all the family and enquiring friends.
     Now if you do not write I will settle with you - - in a little more than ten months for we are going out on the last year. Tell Abel to write and I will do the same. Write all the particulars and oblige,
Your cousin and friend,
Wm. T. Livermore
Co. B, 20th Maine Vols.

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     On July 7th in the year 1922 my Grandmother Horne's sister, my Great Aunt Abbie Savage, got married and left with her brand new husband, Fred Chadwick, on a honeymoon that would be the beginning of a true pioneering adventure. Fred had purchased the West Branch Pond Camps near Kokajo, Maine, and he would take his bride there to begin their married life together running those sporting camps. I don't know why this part of the story seemed particularly intriguing to me...but their journey began by them leaving Milo by way of the River Road. As near as I can tell from the description, they turned up onto the Billington Road and traveled that road all the way through to Brownville and on to Katahdin Iron Works. From there they had to hike up over White Cap Mountain....row across Roach Pond and then go by buckboard to their camps to begin their new married life at West Branch Pond.
     In August of 1923 their first son was born and then the following July in 1924 their daughter was born. I don't know whether Aunt Abbie came down to Milo to deliver her babies, or whether she might have stayed up there and had
Page 5

a doctor from Greenville attend to the deliveries, but in any case her husband would have probably been pretty desperate to have her back there, rather quickly, to help him. That pond was a mecca for fishing enthusiasts, and Uncle Fred would have been right in the busiest season of all when she was delivering those children. Evidently, on the chilly fall nights when his children were being conceived, he must have thrown caution to the wind and forgotten that his wife would be otherwise occupied with child bearing when he needed her the most during the busy summer season. In any case, my uncle must have finally figured it out, because it would be eight more years before their third child was born.
     When my dad was a little boy his parents would take him on trips to West Branch Pond to both fish and to visit his aunt and uncle. Many happy days were spent playing with his cousins and learning the great pastime of fishing. When he was old enough to have a summer job he went to West Branch Pond Camps to be the chore boy. A very rigorous job of cutting and lugging wood, lugging cold water from the spring house, helping get the guests across the pond and settled into their cabins...whatever was needed of him. In his adulthood he and his brothers and their friends would take fishing trips to West Branch Pond Camps. Many pictures were taken of huge strings of big fish. I suppose the purpose of the pictures was to dispel any chance that they be accused of telling "fish stories" when they got back home.
     By the time Dad was an adult his aunt and uncle had passed on the business to their daughter Connie and her husband Cliff Kealiher. Connie died an untimely death, and her husband ran the camps for years until his own daughter married and she and her husband took over the camps. Carol and Andy Stirling brought up their three boys in much the same way that she had been raised....and her mother before her. Carol home schooled her children and was more or less stranded deep in the wilderness through the winter months....coming to Greenville to get supplies when necessary.
     Dad hadn't been back to West Branch Pond for years and years. I had never been there. So.....last week I said to my husband (who was on his vacation)....why don't we take Dad and go for a day trip to West Branch Pond Camps. My cousin Karen and her husband thought it sounded like a great idea and they thought they'd invite Uncle Allan and Aunt Norma to go along as well. We'd need to take two vehicles, but we could travel along together and stop for a picnic in Greenville and then continue on past Lily Bay and then on to the camps. We had a plan, and the makings for a great adventure. Off we struck. What fun we had.
     The camps have not changed much since the days of Dad's youth. He pointed out many landmarks along the way, but when we got to the yard at the camps I said, "Dad, do you recognize where you are?" His reply, "no," absolutely floored me! For one thing we were at the back of the lodge and a big new kitchen area had been built just a year ago. It was totally unrecognizable from the direction that we were entering. Finally, I found a scene that he recognized and before the day was over he was taking us to different places on the grounds that he remembered from long ago. We got a chance to see old pictures of the camps and even of Dad as a young blond haired kid playing out in front of the camps with his cousins. Carol directed us to a cottage that wasn't occupied by guests last

week and we got to rock and reminisce on the porch all afternoon. We played cards and napped, watched a moose swim the pond, and generally enjoyed the most peaceful afternoon I've had in ages.
     On Thursday evenings the staff at West Branch Pond Camps serves prime rib to their guests. They also get transients up from Greenville for Thursday's supper as well. At 5:30 the dinner bell rang alerting us to the fact that we could come to the dining room anytime for our supper. Since Carol's father had come for a little visit with Dad and Uncle Allan, we waited for a while to answer the bell; but when we finally did, were we ever in for a treat. We were seated family style around one of the rustic tables on the enclosed front porch. Dinner was served by a sweet girl (who happened to resemble our granddaughter Hayley) who comes up during the week from Greenville to help out. She brought dinner plates heaped with hot mashed potatoes with gravy, tossed salad and corn for vegetables and then a big slice of prime rib. A basket of the most wonderful hot bread that I have ever tasted in my life was also served. For dessert they brought us a big pot of hot coffee and slices of apple crumb pie.
     After many family pictures were taken, and lots of hugs and kisses goodbye, we literally waddled to our cars and headed for home. I was petrified we'd encounter a moose after dark, but we didn't see one at all on the roadway that night. (We had traveled home from Millinocket the night before - after dark - and had seen three - but that's another story.) It was a wonderful trip back in time for Dad and Uncle Allan, and a wonderful experience for me to finally get to see this place that has been such an important part of my family's life for so many generations. The pictures told it all.
     With all of my heart I wish I could give you that delicious bread recipe. Someday maybe I can...but until's a baked brown bread recipe that Mom got from Marjorie Standish many years ago. Mom and I adored Marjorie, and we cooked using her recipes for years.
1 egg, lightly beaten
4 tablespoons sugar
1 cup molasses
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 cup sifted flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon soda
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup seedless raisins (I consider these optional)
     Combine the beaten egg and sugar, blend in the molasses and stir in the buttermilk. Sift the flour with salt and soda, add whole wheat flour and raisins. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, lightly. Turn into a greased bread pan and bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
     Turn loaf onto a rack, then onto a cutting board, slice and serve hot.

By Nancy Grant
From the weather book kept by Grammie McCleary.
JULY – 1966
July 24-Sunny
July 25-Sunny-90° at 4 pm.
July-26-Showers-78° at 12 and 66° at 8:30 pm.
July 27-Nice cool day-70° at 12 and 62° at 8:30 pm.
July 28-Rain-60° at 7 pm.
July 29-Rain-60° at 8:30 pm.
July 30-Fog

Page 6

     Name the park by the boat landing in Milo.
Enter on-line at on the ”Bulletin Board” or mail entries to :
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
( Board registration will not be required to enter. )
Go to : Soap Box > Town Square > Name that Park and leave your entry
     Judges are the Town Of Milo Board of Selectmen. The name will be announced on August 14th at the Community Band Concert, in the park.

     When I sit down to write, I am always amazed at the amount of things there are to tell you. These past 2 weeks have been busy, fun and eventful.
     That “thing” in the first picture may look kind of homely to most of you, but to Kirby and I, that guinea fowl and its brothers and sisters are beautiful. You see, they have saved the life of at least one of my chickens, perhaps more.
     When I ordered the guineas eggs last winter, I was intrigued by all I had read about them, and wanted to see for myself if they did the things they were proclaimed to do. Some of the more endearing qualities promised were that they loved to eat ticks and ants, and that they would become a sort of “watchdog” for the barnyard. We knew that they have been earning their keep with their bug eating abilities and last Monday morning, their “watchdog” reputation proved true.
     Here’s the story: About a week ago, I noticed that some of my 3-month old chickens were missing. At first, Stan, the funny-looking Polish-Crested rooster, then a sweet little , white hen was gone. I knew that a few of them were roosting in trees at night, and I figured an owl or a hawk had gotten them. Well, last Monday morning, we learned the answer to their

disappearance. At about 6 AM every morning, Kirby goes to let the ducks out of their pen, and the chickens and guineas out of their coop. You may recall that I always lock my hens up at night to keep them safe, as I do the guineas. When the doors are opened, there is always a lot of fowl-chattering going on, which includes clucking, quacking, cock-a-doodle-dooing, and a sound that I swear is a monkey…but I’m sure there are none of those in the group.
     Anyway, last Monday morning, about 15 minutes after the gang had been let out, and about the time they usually settle down to eat the various bugs and plants they find so delicious, we heard the loudest screeching and chattering coming from the guineas. Kirby ran to the door, and there, not twenty feet in front of the house, was a fox carrying one of my beautiful gold Orpington hens! Kirby yelled “Hey!” and the fox turned, looked at him, and continued on his way up to the field. Kirby yelled again and the fox dropped the chicken, then grabbed her again. By now the fox was so frightened she dropped her for the final time and ran off.
     The chicken got up and ran for the coop, and the fox disappeared. All this time, the 4 guineas were lined up on the edge of the roof making the loudest, most irritating noise you could ever imagine. Actually, the sound was wonderful to us, as it alerted us to the fox, and solved the mystery of what had been taking my chickens. I rewarded the guineas with their favorite treat, and thanked them for letting us know what was going on. Now we are trying to figure out what to do about the fox. I’m kind of disturbed that she dared to walk brazenly through the front yard in broad daylight. Most of the experts I asked advice of figure she has kits and will do anything she can to feed them. I just wish she would find another source of food. I wonder if she’s tried snakes, they say that tastes just like chicken.
     Last Sunday, Elaine Blethen and Suzy Ricker showed up at my house with an injured bird. They had found him in the road and thought perhaps he had been hit by a car. The little woodpeckery-looking thing was bright-eyed and alert, but couldn’t use its wings. I put the bird in a cage with a heat lamp, sugar water and a chopped up hard-boiled egg.
     Kirby got out the Peterson Bird Guide, and determined we had a young, yellow-bellied sapsucker. I’m usually disappointed when I try to keep hurt birds alive, but this little fellow thrived, even became downright strong! He would spend a lot of time pecking away at anything metal he could rap his beak on. His wings were working better, but he couldn’t retract one of them all the way to his body, so I knew he needed more attention then I knew how to give.
     On Wednesday, I called the Dept. of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife to find out the location of the nearest bird rehabilitator. Suzy and Elaine were headed for Bangor anyway, so we chose a place in Troy to call. The woman who answered the phone there was so helpful and excited to take the little fellow in. She said she had four other yellow-bellied sapsuckers, so he would be in good company. We arranged a
Page 7

pick-up spot at a general store outside Bangor, and I went home to prepare a travel container for “Woody” to make his journey in.
     Well, the plan went off with out a hitch, and the girl who picked the bird up took Suzy’s e-mail address, and we have since learned that we did indeed have a young, yellow-bellied sapsucker. His wing was broken in a spot near his shoulder, and that as long as the sharp edge of the bone didn’t pierce any veins or arteries, he could be mended!! It is so wonderful to know there are people in this world that dedicate their lives to animals and there are so many here in Maine. From Suzy and Elaine taking the time to pick the bird off the road, to driving a hundred miles to drop him off to be rehabilitated, I guess he picked the right folks to limp out in front of.
     Now, as to the second picture; those darling kittens are the latest guests at our house. Pat Ricker caught the poor strays at her house on the Billington Road. They and their mother had been dropped off by an ignorant, irresponsible person. Whereas Pat already had 2 strays she had taken in, she called me. I brought them home and they turned out to be the most lovable, fun kittens. We are both wild about them. They are both males, and are box-trained and eat well. They appear to be about 3 months old, so they have outgrown some of the young kitten bad habits. They are looking for a home, so if you are in the market for a kitten, give me a call at 943-2324. The sweet little gray kittens Julie and I rescued last month are also ready to be adopted. There is one male and a female from that litter. I believe that all you need to do to qualify for a new kitty is to sign a contract that you will take good care of the babies, spay or neuter them, and keep their shots up to date. Julie ALWAYS knows of some cats that need a home, so don’t hesitate to give her or me a call.
     Well, I guess that’s enough news for now. Other than those two stories, things have been relatively normal here on the farm. We did add two parakeets to our menagerie, and they are the cheeriest sounding things. I don’t think it bothers them that there are 5 cats watching their every move. Actually, they seem to enjoy the attention.



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at Angie’s Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Janet Richards or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President Edwin Treworgy welcomed fifteen members and our guest speaker John Wentworth, President of Moosehead Manufacturing.
     Roy Bither led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and Edwin recited a prayer of thanks and guidance. Ed then read an inspirational message from Albert Schweitzer that had to do with doing what you can. You are not alone in the world and should do more good things but not for pay. “Just do what you can.”

     Birthday wishes go out to Madolyn Macomber on the 19th and to Jim Macomber on the 22nd. Anniversary congratulations to Lillian and Gary Cote on the 18th, Don and Michelle St.Cyr and Jim and Madolyn Macomber on the 20th.
     The July 30th meeting will be held at the cottage of Edwin and Ethelyn Treworgy in Bowerbank at 5:30 pm. Bring whatever you’d like as it will be a potluck supper and games.
     There will NOT be a senior barbeque on July 30.
     $30.85 ($22.85 in can and bottle returns from Dot Brown and Don Harris) in happy and sad dollars was donated today to go towards the Administrative Fund for a goat safe with a puppy, Yankees, being back, alarm going off, a thin but large moose, the American league, and 1000 bales of hay put in.
     Senior barbecue chairperson Buffy Olmstead has the first event planned for July 23 in LaGrange. Those helping should be there by 5 pm and begin serving at 5:30 pm.
     Ethelyn Treworgy reported that a Coffeehouse is being planned for October 25. Details to come…
     The Three Rivers News is maintaining a weekly balance of 320 issues sold.
     Jeff Gahagan said that the final auction report is not ready but it looks like around $10,000 could be realized.
     Frank Cochrane has been hospitalized due to a vehicle accident a week ago. He sustained broken ribs and a badly bruised arm. Frank is due home on Friday and we wish him a speedy recovery!
     The Board meeting on July 17th was concerned with next year’s budget.
     Heidi Finson introduced our speaker for today, John Wentworth, President of Moosehead Manufacturing.
     John made us chuckle with his opening statement. He said that it was nice to hear that people still have their Moosehead furniture but to sell it and buy some new items. ! The company was incorporated in 1947 and is 3rd generation family owned. It is a closely run affair as there are twenty-five family members who own the company with three still working.
     John said that the company had a plant in Brownville during the 1950’s and expanded by building a warehouse in Monson in the 1960’s.
     At the present time there are 200 employees compared to 250 in years past. The company handles 2.5 million board feet of lumber per year. Moosehead is one of a few companies that start with cutting the logs and continue to a finished product. Locally grown hardwood is used and there is no waste as the plants use the waste products to heat the plants in the winter. All the furniture is now made to order and the parts are stocked to assemble as needed. They also do specialized orders. They have eighteen finishes instead of three. Most of the work is computerized but the sanding and staining is still done by hand.
     A 3000 square foot showroom is maintained in North Carolina that is only open for two weeks twice a year for buyers to view their new line of products. They then take orders to be distributed to 45 out of the 50 states and other countries such as Bermuda and Kuwait. Robinson’s Mattress, partnered with the Maine Highland Guild in Dover-Foxcroft carries seconds and mismatched pieces that have small flaws, many of which are undetectable to the untrained eye or have been over stocked
     Wood companies in Maine face many difficulties, specialized manufacturers, cost of productivity, and higher wages than in some countries. The hourly wage in China is 12¢! The lagging economy has forced the closing of many Maine plants during the past six months.
Thank you John for your presentation. We wish your family and Moosehead and its fine furniture many years of success.

Page 8

Page 9

Page 10

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance