Three Rivers News, 2003-07-15
TUESDAY, JULY 15, 2003


     A good number of very young nearly-50-year-olds turned out at the Brownville Alumni building to celebrate a milestone many of us can’t believe we have achieved. Thirty years ago the Class of 1973 went out into the world, leaving Penquis Valley High. Before that, in our short 18 years of living, we had seen (through our televisions) assassinations of presidents and prophets, demonstrations, riots, incredible amounts of new technology, crooked presidents, and men walking on the moon. We witnessed first-hand the Beatles coming to America and women and babies being killed in Vietnam. We were constantly bombarded with warnings that we were depleting the world’s , ozone, oil, and wildlife. We were also asked to save the world, the whales, and quit clubbing baby seals. Well, by God, we’ve done it!
     The year 2003, that was depicted through literature, movies and the music of the 70’s, was going to be one of uni-sex clothing, vast concrete wastelands, “Big Brother is Watching”, pellitized-food, flying cars, and mass chaos. But after hanging out at the Alumni Building for 8 hours Saturday, it seems as if 2003 isn’t all that different from 1973.
     The members of the class and their guests spent a lot of time reminiscing, catching up on children and grandchildren, eating, drinking, (but surprisingly, not all that much!), and lying. I am pretty sure none of us actually still look 18, and yet I heard
that remark spoken more than once. I do have to admit Cathy Rhoda does look EXACTLY the same as she did when she was Valedictorian of our class 30 years ago. Many of the classmates hadn’t made it to either of the other two reunions, so to them it was a shock to see our wrinkled, smiling faces.
     It was a wonderful get-together, and it seems we have done our part for the world and mankind. It is time for us all to relax, enjoy life and leave the world saving up to our children and grandchildren. I’m confident they will continue our good work!
     I will give you the names of the folks in the picture, from left to right, sort of from front-to-back. I apologize in advance for misspellings and for using the girl’s maiden names. I was too busy saving the planet all those years to pay attention to those details.
     Pictured are: David Bragdon, Steven Burton( who is having the next gala at his place), Pam Lufkin, Richard Nye, Pam Bell, Teri Harris, Karen Blue, Joyce Stanley,(who along with Liz, Susan, George and I put the shindig together), Carla Burgess, Valerie Vail, Shelly Lewis, Ricky Jenkins, Cheryl Jones, Gary Harmon, Gary Demers, Mark Jackins, Debbie Bryant, Danny Gerrish, Sandy Smith, Ronnie Gerrish, Karen Long, Herbie Woodard, Mo Hansen, George Hartman, Susan Eckert (I love you both!), Timmy Comeau, Doug Cummings, Steve Johnston, Chris Russell, Eric Mills, Steve Johnston, Cathy Rhoda, Liz Zwicker, David Walker, Gary Estes and Bobby Farrar. Not pictured, are Mike Cowing , Brenda Badger Gary Lyford and some other folks I can’t remember. I will have the complete list next week and maybe more pictures. What a great time we had! Thank you all for coming!
Page 1

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson | Tom Witham

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings





     The United Methodist Women are sponsoring a Strawberry Festival supper on Fri, July 18th, from 5:00 to 6:30 p.m. at the Park St. United Methodist Church fellowship hall. All proceeds will support the outreach of the United Methodiat Women. Menu is: Ham, Potato Salad, Cole Slaw, Peas, Hot rolls, Beverages and Strawberry Shortcake.
Come join us for a very special meal. Adults....$6.00...Children...$3.00.

Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. Brownville became a plantation (a) three (b) five (c) seven (d) ten years before it became a town.
2. Skippy Graham loved (a) basketball b) baseball (c) football (d) archery.
3. Fleetwood Pride had a (a) general store (b) livery stable (c) mill (d) construction crew.
4. (a) Eleanor Rosebush (b) Malcolm Buchanan (c) Greta Connors (d) Vitolia Lord taught at both high schools in Brownville.
5. (a) Moses Greenleaf (b) Samuel Crocker (c) Colonel Walter Morrill (d) Adams H. Merrill brought the Swedes here.
6. Steve Leach was a (a) meat man (b) painter (c)minister (d) town manager.
7. (a) Milton Smith (b) Joe Applebee (c) Kenneth Thompson (d) Roland Stubbs drove the first bus to Brownville Junction from the village,
8. (a) Russell Ladd (b) Argie Henderson (b) Bill Gallant (d) Norman Robinson was never a postmaster.
9. The last team to defeat the Railroaders in basketball was (a) Sumner (b) Searsport (c) Milo (d) Greenville.
10. The most points scored by the Railroaders was (a) 100 (b) 113 (c) 123 (d) 143.

Answers: 1-b 2-a 3-c 4-c 5-d 6-a 7-d 8-d 9-b 10-d


Because most of us either have or are turning 60!

Page 2

     I received this letter from the former Mary Nutter. I hope many of you take the time to send her a note of encouragement during her difficult days ahead. Best of luck and health to you Mary! Val

Dear Friends and Family,
     We hope that you are all enjoying your summer time. ErikaLynn and Zachary are in Iowa with us until the 7th of August. We are certainly loving our time with them but are dreading the 7th of August coming. The weather has been up and down but remains lovely in the 80's with little or no humidity. We have had about 2 weeks of real hot weather where the heat index reached about 100-110, thank goodness for air conditioning!!
     As some of you may have already heard, we were told a while ago that things are not going well with our fight to win the battle with my cancer. The cancer does not seem to want to respond to the treatments and has grown. About 2-3 weeks before the kids arrived in June, I underwent another operation to remove another tumor, I am also involved with a lot of clinical trials and will be having some procedures done after the children return to Maine. My team of Doctor's have told us that as of now the cancer is winning it's battle and I'm losing. BUT, there is always HOPE and miracles happen every day!!
     We needed to wait until the children were here before we did to much talking about the situation, 3 days after they arrived Mark and I sat them down and explained the situation to them, so that they would know that things are not going well nor are they looking good at this time. Needless to say that was a hard talk for both of us, and even harder on the children. We talk about it when they have questions or comments now, there were a lot of tears that night and the next morning but now they ask questions when they think of them or cry when the time is right for them. ErikaLynn and Zachary are super children and are handling this news as any child would in their shoes. We did not want to upset them or rock their school years with this news, plus with the help of our grief counselors at the hospital we figured out the best time and way to talk to the children about the possible out come.
     Because we know that there will be times that I am not able to respond to emails either because I'm to sick, tired or in the hospital we have (with ErikaLynn's help) created a web page at CaringBridge so that Mark or my parents can log on and update the page daily to let everyone know how things are going, so that no one is "left in the dark" about what is going on. We hope that you will find time to post messages to us as at times, both Mark and I are having a hard time keeping our spirits lifted. Mark is really struggling with the thought of losing his whole family that he has wanted his whole life. My parents and family are finding it hard to keep going over the bad news for everyone, plus the thoughts of the possible out come are obviously hard for them to talk about. If you have the time please visit the web page at the address below whenever you feel and post a message if you have the time and would like.
     A personalized CaringBridge Web page has been created to help keep you in touch and informed. To visit the CaringBridge Web page, just navigate the link below:
     Thank you to everyone for their thoughts, prayers and well wishes. We certainly need them more then ever now, so keep them coming!!
Enjoy the rest of your summer!!!
Mark, Mary, ErikaLynn and Zachary

Hi Valerie,
     I've been trying to find Eloise French's address/email and saw her name in your newsletter on the Internet. I went all through grade school and high school with her in Mineola, NY, and considered her my best friend. I found an email address for her in our high school directory but it turned out to be wrong. Could you possibly give me her or her husband David's address or email, or possibly forward this to her or her husband? Thanks in advance if you could.
Joyce Hengerer Sexton
701 Ottawa Trail
Madison, WI 53711


  • Thursday, July 17
    7:00 pm
    Piscataquis County Courthouse, East Main Street
  • Saturday, July 19
    10:00 am
    Bandstand Re-Dedication, Monson Elem. School
  • Thursday, July 24
    6:30 pm
    Dexter Nursing Home, Park Street
  • Saturday, July 26
    9:15 am
    Egg Festival Parade
  • Saturday, August 2
    9:30 am
    Homecoming Parade
  • Thursday, August 7
    6:30 pm
    Piscataquis County Courthouse, East Main Street
  • Thursday, August 14
    6:15 pm
    Municipal Park (by the Boat Landing), Water Street
  • Thursday, August 21
    6:15 pm
    Piscataquis Valley Fair, County Fairgrounds

     BROWNVILLE and CANTON, Conn. - Daniel Charles Cables, 59, husband of Diane (Riva) Cables, died peacefully Monday, July 7, 2003, at his Brownville home with his wife and daughter, Kristina Finkle, at his side. Daniel is survived by his wife; five children; one brother; and one nephew, most of whom live in southern New England. A memorial service was held 11 a.m. Saturday, July 19, 2003, at the Canaan, Conn., V.F.W. For those who wish, memorial contributions may be made to the Muscular Dystrophy Association, P.O. Box 78342, Phoenix, AZ 85062-8342 or to the American Cancer Society, New England Div. Inc., One Main St., Suite 300, Topsham, ME 04086. Cremation arrangements by Cremation Basics, Inc., Bangor.
     BANGOR - A graveside service with military honors for Arno Shepardson will be held 11 a.m. Saturday, July 12, 2003, at the North Newport Cemetery, with the Rev. Dr. Randall C. Chretien, pastor of the First United Methodist Church of Bangor, officiating. A service of Brookings-Smith, Bangor.
     BAKERSFIELD, Calif. - Ruth (Hamlin) Stairs "Ketchum" passed away on July 7, 2003, at home after a long illness. Ruth was married to the late Ondon P. Stairs, an American Baptist clergyman, who served churches in Dexter, Gardiner, Presque Isle and Augusta. While in Augusta, Ruth wrote a weekly column for the Kennebec Journal entitled "The Parsonage Scene," and she also had articles published occasionally by Downeast Magazine. Ruth is survived by two sisters, Joan Bishop of Milo and Louise Hussey of Jim Thorpe, Pa.; three children, Michael of Philadelphia, Pa., Beth Zaccaro of Los Angeles, Calif. and Lake View, Peter of Bakersfield, Calif.; and five grandchildren. A graveside service will be held 11 a.m. Saturday at Milo Evergreen Cemetery, with the Rev. Michelle St. Cyr officiating.

Page 3

The Docks are here!!!
     Yes the docks are here and in the river at last. Many thanks to the people of Milo for their support and the Sebec River Association for all their hard work and sticking to the task. Raffles, dues, and many discussions have led to these new docks.
     All aluminum, all floating, and very functional, they will last for many, many, seasons. They were purchased from Barbara and Tim Merrill and thanks to them also for all their help!
Donnie Richards
President SRA

July 7th (PM):
     The new docks for the Sebec River Water Front Park as seen in the photo were in the process of being assembled as these shots were taken. Sebec River Association President, Don Richards appeared pleased with the arrival... As before, docking privileges are done on a yearly basis through the Milo Town Office.

     September 28, 1974, Mother's birthday, I left Quebec City by bus for Montreal at 3:30 A.M. At the time I was coaching girls basketball at St. Lawrence College.
     In less than three hours, which included a stop for coffee in Drummondville, we were at Dorval Airport in Montreal, where we boarded an Illuyshin 61, an Aeroflot jet en route to Moscow with a stop in Paris. The crew was entirely Russian.
     I traveled with the Bear Group, one of five groups of Canadians totaling 2,000. Our goal was to attend that part of the Canada-Russia Hockey Series to be played in Moscow-four of the eight games in the series. I had seen the opening game of the series in Quebec City, a 3-3 tie.
     The Canadians stayed in the Hotel Rossia on Red Square, the largest hotel in Europe (in the largest city in Europe at the time). There I got to meet the immortal Gordie Howe and his wife Colleen, chatting with them on the side of the hotel for 15 minutes. I met Guy Lafleur's father-in-law, Roger Baree, of Roger Baree Automobile in Quebec City. I met people from all walks of life, going out with two Russian women. One was named Suzanna, as computer programmer, a beautiful blond who spoke English.
     We had several organized tours: the Kremlin, the Moscow subway, the Bolshoii Ballet, Lenin's tomb, a day care center, which brought be to heavy tears to see the Russian kids and their routines. The teachers gave me some of their artwork.
     All tours of the Bear Group were given in perfect French by our female guides, who had worked hard in the laboratory to master their French.
     Suzanne and I took rides on the Moscova River for a few kopeks, Rubles were worth $1.33 at the time. We enjoyed perfect weather for the 10-day stay.
More to Come

     William Taylor Livermore was born in Sebec, Maine in 1840, the sixth child of David Livermore and Sarah Taylor Livermore. David Livermore owned property in the southwest corner of Milo, very near the Milo-Sebec line, on the banks of the Piscataquis River.
     William’s diary begins In August 1862, shortly after he was mustered into the 20th Maine Volunteers. Probably to pass time on the trip to Washington and Virginia, he began making a record of the trip and he continued even as his unit went from one battle area to another. He gives an excellent picture of their living conditions and the thoughts he had about the war and about family back at home.
     The following is a letter to his brother.
Camp in the field near Gettysburg, Penn. July 6, 1863
Brother Charles,
     Thinking I could write something that might interest you in some measure I seat myself to do so as I have nothing else to do. I sent a letter yesterday morning and soon after our Brigade fell in and advanced. About 25 rods in front of us was a narrow strip of growth and our lines lay there from the 2nd til yesterday morning the 5th, the 2nd the day we fought. There was a terrible battle in a large field in front of the woods. This field was a mile long and from one third to half a mile wide. The Rebels held the woods on one side and our men on the other. The Artillery on both sides were in the edges of the field. Our Infantry advanced on the Rebels and a terrible battle was fought. But here the Rebs put in a terrible force and charged on and after fighting desperately our men were obliged to fall back with terrible loss. And the Rebels occupied the ground til yesterday morning when they fell back. And the 6th Corps followed them up and our Brigade was the first to go over the field. There had been fighting for three days. Our sharpshooters and others at work all the time when there was no regular engagement. And the 3rd you will recollect that I wrote about the Rebel batterys in front of us that were shelling our batteries. We advanced in line of battle about 2/3 of the way across the field and halted exactly where a barn was burned the day before, set on fire by our Artillery. We saw it burn. We stacked arms and were ordered to throw up a breastwork. We went about it in good earnest. Took the underpinning which was 4 feet high to the old barnstones and rails and in a few minutes had a breastwork high where our Brigade could hold a Div. of any troops. But what a scene was before us or how a man that had not been seared by the horrors of war here felt to look upon the scene. Here is where the hottest of the fight took place and the barn was full of dead and wounded, which had been set on fire and burned and there was the skeletons of men. Some all burned up, others half burned. Some with only their clothes burned off. On the same ground that our Regt. occupied was where the 149th Penn Red Breeches as we call them fought. There was as many as 30 or 40 lay dead there of that Regt. They had laid there 3 days in hot July weather. And I wish I never could see another such sight. It is nothing to see men that have just been killed. But every man was swollen as

Page 4

large as two men and purple and black. After building our breastwork we were told to go over the field and get guns while the prisoners and detailed men by hundreds were burying the dead. I started immediately for the Rebel line of battle where they formed behind a fence and there was where the Rebels left their things. I followed in about half a mile and it was solid row of blankets, knapsacks, haversacks, cartloads of bread, some of that stolen. There was cartloads of everything that soldiers carry left and I got the things I wanted. It was some sport to overhaul their things. I found in one 43 sheets of writing paper. This is some of it taken from our people. I think though some was Reb as you will see hereafter. I got 30 or 40 envelopes in the same, nice stockings and shorts that never was put on. I walked til I was tired and sick of the sight. To speak safely there was a thousand dead horses that were all swollen and the smell of horses and men was dreadful. That whole field as far as we went was, I might say, covered with dead of our own and Rebels. Where we were there were more of our men that lay there than was of the Rebels, but we know they took a great many back further to the rear and buried them.
     But to our right where they advanced on our Artillery the ground was covered with them. The ground, every foot of it, was covered with men, horses, clothing, cartridge boxes, guns, bayonets, scattered cartridges, cannon balls everywhere. Caissons stood where the horses were instantly killed by a cannon ball and they piled up the hole just as they were killed. In some places on the bigness of your house there would be 8 or 10 horses and from 3 to 8 men where their guns stood. One place in particular where the 5th Mass. Battery stood another 3 rods of a house, 79 horses lay in the bigness of your barnyard. Some without heads, others their legs and some of their thighs torn away. This is a great story and I would not have believed it if I had not seen it myself. They had to leave their guns but they were not captured by the Rebs. The man that owned the house would not leave it. It was riddled, but I saw him when I came back. Our dead were stripped of their shoes and some of other clothing. We found some Rebels dead with their hands tied, but did not know what it was for, unless they tried to desert. One we found with a handkerchief tied over his mouth. He was wounded mortally and they did it to keep him from hollering. After what I have written you have no idea of the scene nor did I too much, until this battle. You look at it on too small a scale. We brought together as many as two 6 mile loads of rifles of ours and Rebs. But there were thousands that lay everywhere. To see the piles of extra rifles one would think the whole Army was killed and wounded. Our Regt. had the Enfield rifles. They will shoot as well if not better than Springfield rifles but double the work to keep them clear. I and everyone in Co. B and all but a few in the Regt. threw down our rifles and picked up others.

Announcements from the TRC Bulletin Board online
     1. We now have every issue of the Three Rivers News online! Check out the TRN Archive @

     2. We have added two new sections to TRC
Police @
Fire @
     We are currently looking for information and contacts to list on these pages. If you are part of one of the departments, please contact us with any info you might want to post online. (As reported by Seth Barden, July 2003)

     It was a scorching hot day of racing down to Minot ......3 local boys made the long trek down and rode their best considering the humid conditions.
     On Saturday....KYLE FOSS raced in the 85 Novice class with 28 other bikes finishing in second place in both motos to clinch a 2nd place trophy for the day. TREVOR LYFORD was also there racing in the heat in the ATV class. He finished in second place as well in both motos to come away with a 2nd place trophy. Trevor then raced his dirt bike finishing 6th overall out of 12 for the day. JUSTIN MORRILL was the other local racer who did a great job in the 125 Youth Class against a very tough field of 27 riders. Justin finished an impressive 8th overall on Saturday.
     ON wasn't as humid, but still very hot for everyone participating. JUSTIN MORRILL started things off in the 125 Youth Class, facing off with an unbelievable "34" other drivers. I don't even know he he dared take off from the starting line with that many bikes surrounding him.....but he did ,and raced very well, finishing 9th overall after 2 motos. A thank you to the Morrill family for sticking around again this week and cheering on the other 2 boys.....and to Joe for doing some of the videotaping and "commentary" that went with the races. After Justin, it was Trevor's turn in the 50cc dirtbike class .... he finished in about the middle of the pack....with an 8th place overall for both motos out of 17 bikes. He's getting more used to the dirtbike and does a little better each time out. Trevor then got back on his 4-wheeler and rode very hard....especially in practice.....and finished in 2nd for each moto to give him another 2nd place trophy for the day in the ATV class.
     Finally, KYLE FOSS raced in the 85C Novice class coming home with a huge !st place trophy. He finished 2nd in the first moto and rode even better the next time around...never giving up...and sure enough he got 1st in the 2nd moto.......therefore handing him the 1st place trophy. KYle also raced in the 85B class with 32 other bikes.....who in fact will be the competition he will have to face next year when he bumps up to this class. Kyle got a terrific hole shot and because of it, came away with $45.00 for being the first bike to the first corner. It was a long weekend of racing...and thankfully no-one got hurt; so that's all that really matters.
     P.S. All the local racers would like to wish BOBBY ROBINSON a belated HAPPY 18TH BIRTHDAY!!!

     The UMW annual Strawberry Festival will be held on Friday July 18th from 5:00 to 6:30 PM at the church fellowship hall. Cost is $6.00 for adults and $3.00 for children. Menu: Ham, potato salad, green peas, coleslaw, rolls, relish, coffee, tea, or punch with strawberry shortcake for dessert. Take out will be available. Shortcake can be purchased separately for $2.00.
Page 5

     On July 5th the Milo High School class of 1953 celebrated their 50th anniversary. Several of us attended breakfast at the Park Street United Methodist Church before the Alumni activities started. Following breakfast the Alumni Association held registration at the Town Hall dining room where they served coffee and pastries. After visiting with schoolmates we went to the American Legion Hall where we had a delicious luncheon catered by the Legion Auxiliary. The classes of 1948 through 1952 had lunch in the dining room while we, the class of '53, gathered in the meeting room.
     We enjoyed much laughter and a few tears as we remembered those classmates who are no longer with us.
     Following lunch we retired to the all-purpose room at the elementary school where we continued to reminisce and catch up on the goings on of our fellow alumni. In the evening many of us gathered again to attend the banquet held at the Penquis High School cafeteria.
     Out of a graduating class of forty-eight, twenty-six graduates and twelve guests joined together for lunch.
     There were sixteen classmates with eight spouses who gathered for the banquet. Our special guest for lunch was Mrs. Gayle Shirley who was one of our English teachers and to whom we dedicated our yearbook. It was a great day and we look forward to gathering again in 2008 for our 55th reunion.

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     How many of you have heard of Spring Creek Smokehouse and Bar-B-Q Emporium in uptown Monson? My husband and I and our good friends the Hamlins went for a fun evening a few weeks ago. What led up to us going was another trip that we took with the Hamlins a few months ago. We had gone to the little cafe in Sebec for breakfast one snowy morning in early March and then we went to the Piscataquis Valley Business Expo over in Guilford. On approaching the Expo we could smell this incredible Barbecued aroma near the entrance to the building. The owners of Spring Creek, Mike and Kim Witham from Monson, had a big smoker right out front and they were giving samples of some of their jerky. We, of course, took samples and oohed and aahed all over the place. Mike and Carroll weren't sure if they were long lost cousins or not....but they sure did hit it off that day...and got a big kick out of each other. We promised to come for dinner as soon as we could count on good weather.....and that's just what we did.
     I called Kim the night before and alerted her that we'd be coming. She told us to come along and they'd save a rack or two of ribs for us. She could only assure us the ribs if we ordered them ahead of time. Evidently, the ribs go quickly and she didn't want to promise us something that she couldn't provide if we got there too late. I had not a clue what to expect, but was thrilled with what we found. You can see the place on the left hand side of the street right there in Monson (it's on Rt. 15). You can see the smoke coming from the cooker as you approach. Up a set of steps and onto the porch where we entered the little dining area through a screen door. In the corner of the porch there was a big container of hand made walking sticks....handy for people who might be hiking the trail.
     Inside we found rustic tables and chairs set was reserved for the four of us. There was an

incredible amount of stuff to see in that room. Our heads were on a total swivel...taking in the collectibles, curtains, just the whole layout of the place. Behind the counter Kim was preparing plates for other customers who had arrived ahead of us. We sized up the menu and made some choices based on her suggestions and then took our seats. She arrived at our table with tin plates and shiny sterling silver utensils wrapped in big linen napkins. On each table, however, there was a spindle with a big roll of brown paper towels in the ready....and believe me you needed the extra paper towels because this meal is absolutely not for the fussy or fastidious. There was lots and lots of finger lickin'.
     Some of us chose lemonade to husband brought his own beverage with him. This was shaping up to be one of his favorite dining experiences ever! We started with a huge antique china platter absolutely groaning with ribs. Yum-yum, lick-lick...these were fantastic! Kim then brought us another huge platter laden with a sample of many of their meats. The Spring Creek Sausage was the best we've ever tasted. However, let me warn you, my husband was not only wiping his mouth with his napkin....he was also blotting the bald spot atop of his head from the heat that was escaping up there. YIKES! Those sausages were goooood!
     We decided to try a serving each of the beans and rice, potato salad, and their own famous baked beans. We split those among the four of us. In hindsight we should have had two helpings of the potato salads, but now we know that for another time. Everything was wonderful. I decided I wanted to try one of the many choices that they had for dessert and chose a small slice of cheesecake that Kim quickly dressed up with some strawberry sauce and a little whipped cream. The others decided to go down the street and have a Gifford's Ice Cream.
     Mike said that his recipes were learned from his friend Billy-Joe-Bob McCoy in Baytown, Texas. Mike thinks he learned the secrets all while sitting on Billy-Joe-Bobs jokes and drinking Lone Star Beer. I'm not surprised that he and Billy-Joe-Bob traded jokes, because Mike's a very comical man. This was, without question, the first authentic Texas style Bar-B-Q that I had ever been to. He uses secret rubs and special sauces. All of the meats are slow cooked in his wood fired smoker. He had the cooker out on his side yard. He had recently built a new one and it was neatly set up on a trailer affair with a small stack of wood in the ready, as well as a comfortable little table and chair nearby to relax on while he was doing the serious cooking.
     Spring Creek Cookhouse and Bar-B-Q Emporium is open Monday-Wednesday (if the porch light is on....) so those aren't necessarily hours that you can count on. Thursday through Saturday they are open from 10:00 a..m. to 8:00 p.m. (or until the food is gone, whichever comes first). You can eat in or you can take out. They also will do catering, gladly customizing a menu to meet not only your taste buds, but your budget as well. You can call and talk to Kim anytime about setting up such a party. This was not only a clever idea for a is the most unusual restaurant I think I've ever eaten in.
     Oh yes, did I mention that we bussed our own tables after the meal? This was done with ease, and much fun. I can't wait to go back. We had a ball!!
     Here are a couple of my own barbecue meals:

Brown chicken pieces in a little oil or spray (I do several legs or thighs and drumsticks or a combination of all of those).

Page 6

Lay the chicken in a pan.

1 onion chopped
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup water
1 tablespoon Worcester shire sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
salt and pepper
spread over the chicken and bake for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
Boil spare ribs in salted water for 45 minutes.

Bring to a boil in a saucepan:

1 small bottle of ketchup
Rinse the bottle out by filling it 1/4 full of water and sloshing it around and mixing it with the ketchup.
1/2 bottle of Worcester shire sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoon of chili powder

Pour this over the ribs and let them bake, or cook them on the grill, until done.

     I have been on vacation this past week and cannot tell you of any of the library doings in this column today , but I know all the patrons and summer reading program members have been well taken care of by Pam, Nancy and Tracy. I will continue the list of the juvenile books I started in the last column.

LAND OF THE DEAD (classics)
Run for it (Matt Christopher)
THE SPIDER AND THE FLY (delightful pictures)
SPY (Eyewitness)
TO FLY ( the Wright Brothers)
WINDMILL WIND UP (Matt Christopher)
ZATHURA (Chris Van Allsburg)

Library Summer Hours
Telephone 943-2612

A Historical Review - Part 4
A Wilderness Experience
the Quiet Beauty of Chairback
BDN, Tom Shields, 2/17/1983
(A TRC Fringe Benefit,submitted by C.K.Ellison, 2003)
     Last october, Vicki Vanek, an attractive 25-year-old University of Illinois graduate who was hiking the Appalachian Trail, stopped to ask directions. It was rainy and cold and she was trying to find a shortcut. The Hodsdons invited her in and except for a a visit to a sick relative back in Illinois, she has been there ever since, helping out and enjoying life in the wild. And since Vanek is a chemistry teacher, she has been able to help Tim with his mathematics.
     Tim is looking forward to playing soccer when he goes outside to school next fall. "I miss a lot of classmates," he said. "I used to love riding on a bus, and riding a bicycle or visiting a friend," he said. "I think Tim may not realize it, but he has built up a tremendous legitimate confidence in himself and his ability to handle himself," his mother said. "I think when he goes back to school outside, this will benefit him," she said."he has learned to entertain himself," his father said." He doesn't have to rely on other people or other things." But Tim said he will miss the beauty of woods and water, ever changing in spring, summer, fall and winter. "It's so beautiful," he said. "We take a lot of it for granted," his father added. "In the summer, the loons are out there, the fish are rising.." The trout and salmon fishing in Long Lake is excellent.
     One evening Hodsdon was standing on the shore. "The northern lights were flashing all over the sky. I heard an owl hoot. A coyote started yapping and howling. Then I saw a shooting star. it all happened in two or three minutes." Vanek described returning to camp by canoe at dusk one time. The sky was pink, loons were laughing, smoke was curling out of the chimney, and the light of the kerosene lamp was in the window. "It was really a nice moment," she said. "You get a lot of those out there." Right after a snowstorm, you can hear absolutely nothing, Mrs. Hodsdon said. "I mean, you can hear nothing... you can hear the silence." "I sometimes wonder if it has spoiled us for anything else," she added.
     Indeed, their special world will surely keep Hodsdon from cities forever. "Bangor's good enough for me," he said, adding that even going there "once every year or two is enough."

Monday Feb 3rd
     We had breakfast at 7 this morning. Angela is quite sore around her mouth and her face is very black and blue. We left for an included tour of Pompeii at 8. Our bus driver’s name is Lello and is from Sorrento. We arrived at Pompeii at 9 and had a two-hour tour with Gino as our guide. We wore what are called whispers on our ear so we could hear all he had to say. The city of Pompeii covers 4.5 square miles. It is about 80% excavated now with work still going on. It was founded by a group called the Osci. Later the Etruscans, Greeks and finally the Romans occupied the city. It was a seaport with the water coming up to the edge of town. Because of the material from Vesuvius it is now a couple of miles inland. Vesuvius is about 6 miles from Pompeii but still looms over the ruins. We visited many sites including the amphitheater where rock concerts are still given during the summer. We saw the forum, the baths, private homes, the bakery, and a fast food place that sold soups and things to pedestrians. The streets were recessed because they were the sewer system. They were wide enough so chariots could maneuver in one way traffic. Every so often a large flat stone
Page 7

was placed in the street to that people could cross without getting their feet in the sewage. The stone was designed so that it would fit between the wheels of the chariots. All during our tour we had a group of four dogs with us. They stopped when we did and layed down in the sun while the guide would tell us something and would then move on as we did. I asked the guide about them and he said they live off the scraps that tourists give them. At the end of the tour we stopped at a small restaurant in the ruins and I bought a salami sandwich to give to the dogs. They must have been well fed, because they hardly lifted their heads to take the food and acted like they did me a favor in eating it. On the way out of the ruins, we passed a number of plaster casts of people and animals that were made while excavating. If the diggers came across a hole in the ash, they would fill it with plaster and then chisel off the ash to reveal what was inside. We saw pregnant women, men and dogs. It gave an eerie feeling to look at them as they had their hands over their faces to protect against the ash.
     After picking up a few souvenirs at the stands outside Pompeii, we boarded the bus and returned to the Sorrentine Peninsula where we were scheduled to have a home hosted lunch. We took a narrow street off the main drag and proceeded up into the mountains. The road was like a tunnel between built up land on each side. We passed groves of olive trees and lemons. Under the trees were vegetables and on arbors between the trees were grapevines. They were bare this time of year. Some sections of these fields were covered with material like cheesecloth. Carla told us that the plants growing under cover matured later and extended the season of harvest.
     The bus drove a couple of miles up into the hills and then had to stop because the road got too narrow. There was a smaller bus that could take about 10 people so some of us decided to walk the last distance. About half way there I had second thoughts because it was very steep. I made a few stops to rest but finally made it. The last of those who rode the bus got there about the same time. We were divided into three groups so we could fit into the dining rooms of the houses. We ate at the home of Pasquale DeGregorio. The other two groups ate at the homes of his daughters nearby. Pasquale’s sister from Florida was visiting and help with the translation.
     Our first course was home made bread dipped in home pressed olive oil. There is almost no butter in southern Italy. In the Tuscan region in the north they do use it. The olives for oil are harvested in October and pressed at that time. Extra virgin oil is made from the first pressing of the olives. After the olives are pressed, all oil from the previous year is dumped as it is considered old. There are over 200 varieties of olives. The ones used for eating are not used to make olive oil.
     We then had pasta fagioli soup, chicken with peas, roasted peppers, olives, potatoes, capers, onions, Italian broccoli and a quiche with escarole. For desert we had pumpkin bread and a pie with almonds and sour cherries. We finished the meal with a little homemade limoncello.
     After eating all that I felt I had to walk back to the bus! We arrived back at the hotel at 2:30. Angela went to the pharmacy to pick up a syringe and the tetanus shot and a nurse came later to give it to her. She also gave her a prescription for the black and blue in her face. The nurse said the cream would take away the color in 2 to 3 days. Angela took her teeth to Dr. Franco De Angelis, a dentist. He said they were in bad shape but he would do what he could.

     Carla informed me she had found another rental company that would supply an English-speaking driver and we could stay as long as we liked for $210. We decided that the trip to Carpinone was a go. I called Lucia and Geppino to let them know. Lucia said she would meet us at the train station in Isernia around 10 on Thursday.
     Steff and I went back to the marquetry store so I could buy another larger music box and then we went to a grocery store to buy some salami and sharp provolone cheese. We also stopped by a linen store and bought tablecloths with a lemon design on them. Steff found some Pepsi in the grocery store. It was quite a find. Coke is easy to get but Pepsi is not well known. Tonight we ate salami and cheese sandwiches instead of eating out. The home hosted ?lunch? was plenty for the big meal of the day.


You’re so delicate and airy,
Like a tall and wispy fairy,
As you dance along the meadows and the hills.

And you stand so proudly there,
Nodding in the summer air,
That you give the most blasé a moment’s thrill.

I can ne’er forget he sight
With the coming of the night,
When the slanting sun depicts you, straight and tall.

You’re the queen, you look the part,
And you’ve quite enthralled my heart,
And you’ll reign the summer fields until the fall.

By Nancy Grant
     These are also reprints of postcards from the late 20’s or early 30’s and show two of the churches in Milo; Methodist at the top with the Baptist in the lower photo. They have changed a bit over the years but are still well kept and beautiful!

(Postcards courtesy of John and Eileen Willinski)

Page 8

Media Release
July 7, 2003
Experts to Highlight Downtown Revitalization
     As part of its ongoing effort to raise awareness of economic development issues, the Piscataquis County Economic Development Council (PCEDC) will host a panel discussion on downtown revitalization at its Quarterly Meeting on July 14th. The downtown revitalization experts speaking on the panel include the City of Augusta Downtown Revitalization Director Noreen Copp as well as Darcy Rollins, Executive Director of the Main Street Program. Joining the panelist will be UMaine Cooperative Extension’s Roger Merchant who focused on revitalization issues during a recent sabbatical.
     The July 14th Quarterly Meeting will be held at the Monson Elementary School at 4pm and feature a barbeque dinner.
     The public is encouraged to RSVP by contacting Dianne Currie at 1-800-339-6389 or by email at
     The PCEDC is a private, non-profit organization dedicated to the economic development of Piscataquis County. It regularly hosts expert panel discussions throughout the County on a quarterly basis.
     For More Information, Contact:
     Mark Scarano
     Executive Director
     Piscataquis County Economic Development Council
     50 Mayo Street, Dover-Foxcroft, Maine 04426
     (207) 564-3638, 1-800-539-0332 or



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at Angie’s Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Janet Richards or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President JULY 9, 2003 MEETING MINUTES
Edwin Treworgy welcomed sixteen members and guests Wayne Clukey from Dexter and Fay and Judith Stevens who have new member applications already filled out!
     Roy Bither led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Dunham asked for peace and prayers for all. Chris Almy was our inspiration today with a message about arguing. It seems there was a woman known for her sharp tongue. One day she spoke in a quarrelsome way and the recipient of the harsh words just smiled and said thank you. She again spoke to the man in the same tone. He didn’t rise to the bait and the woman said she wouldn’t talk to him again as he must be deaf. The message is: It doesn’t make sense to argue with know-it-all people!
     Birthday wishes go out to Brian Salley on the 14th and Dennis Dorsey on the 15th.
     Edwin and Ethelyn have graciously offered to have our fifth Wednesday meeting on July 30 at their camp in Bowerbank. We will meet at 5:30 pm for potluck and games. Feel free to bring anything you’d like!
     Twenty happy and sad dollars, seven from Frank Cochrane for can returns, were donated today for the auction and Alumni banquet being over, missed meeting, just being here, family, trip to Connecticut, spider bites, no more trips to Connecticut, Yankees, and the one that got away.

     The Senior barbeques will start on July 23 at LaGrange. Those helping need to be there at 5 pm and begin serving at 5:30.
     The subject of the July 17 Board of Directors meeting will be next year’s budget. The floor was open to suggestions concerning funding for the gazebo/bandstand project. A $1000 donation from Kiwanis was mentioned as was possibly having swings for children. Playground equipment would mean an additional liability to the town.
     The guest speaker for July 16 is John Wentworth from Moosehead Manufacturing.
     Our speaker today was Kiwanis’ own Eben DeWitt. Eben is a 19-year member of the Piscataquis County Commission and chairman for most of that time. He told us that the county is in good shape and jokingly added that the D.A.’s office was the exception. (D.A. Chris Almy is a member in good standing of our club.) The job of commissioner is now a much more full time position than 20 years ago.
     The Indian name for Piscataquis is Running Water. Our county has the smallest population according to the 2000 census with 17,238 people. It is also the least populated county east of the Mississippi with only 4-1/2 people per square mile. It is however the second largest with 3,370 square miles of land and contains 17 towns, 2 plantations, and 100 unorganized townships.
     Piscataquis employs three county commissioners and their largest function has to do with the unorganized townships. The budget for the townships is about one million dollars with four million in the budget for all else. The county commissioners are responsible for the operation of nine departments and all but one of the department heads is a Republican but Eben said they are working on it!
     The registry of deeds keeps the records of deeds, tax maps, liens, and mortgages. The emergency management agency is concerned with floods, hazardous materials, toxic spills, and the set up of E-911. The probate court handles estates, wills, adoptions, name changes, and guardianships and the superior court meets three times a year with the traverse jury meeting six to eight weeks a year to try cases. The county treasurer is responsible for all county receipts and disbursements. The District Attorney handles criminal prosecution, fatalities, child abuse, victim assistance, and domestic investigation of complaints. The district court with Judge Kevin Stitham meets twice a week to handle traffic violations, fish and game, and assaults. The commissioners are responsible for the upkeep of road repairs, snow removal, dump services, fire protection, ambulance service, cemetery maintenance, bridge repair, and voting locations for the fifteen populated unorganized townships. Eben told us that surprisingly the dump services take up much of his time. One case in particular has to do with a 400-pound mother bear and her 200-pound cub. They have been wreaking havoc in Ebeeme by strewing garbage all over the place.
     The most expensive to administer is the sheriff’s department. They provide for the highway patrol and criminal investigation plus are the dispatch center for nine fire departments, four police departments, two ambulances, E-911, and the 40-bed county jail of which David Harmon is the administrator. This department realizes $200,000 yearly from the transportation of federal prisoners.
     Eben is very knowledgeable about the county and gave us some interesting facts about the county courthouse in Dover-Foxcroft. It was built in 1844 at a cost of $3,700, renovated in 1886 for $14,000, the jail and sheriff’s residence built in 1901, and a 40-bed jail added in 1988 at a cost of $3 million.
     Thank you Eben; we truly appreciated your presentation today.
Page 9

Page 10

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance