Three Rivers News, 2003-07-01

Community Band Concert

Friday, July 4th, 7:00 PM
at the Park by the Boat Landing.

Ed and Brenda Robert’s , Brownville Jct.,1934 Chevy Street Rod

     On Sunday, June 22, the Penquis Cruizers, an area car club which welcomes vehicles of all makes, models, and years, sponsored their 14th Annual Cruize-In at the JSI Store Fixtures parking lot on Route 11 in Milo. Organizers Fred and Susan Worcester stress that this is not a car show. There are no classes and few trophies. It is an opportunity for automobile lovers to show off their vehicles without the pressure of "who’s got the best one" and to enjoy the company of others who love the sport of automobiling.
     Despite the cloudy skies, people drove from miles around to attend the event. Nearly 100 cars and trucks registered for the event. Some drove from as far away as Presque Isle, Newcastle, and Portland. There were vehicles of all kinds on display. The oldest vehicle registered was a 1923 Ford T owned by Ron and Carol Grayof Orrington. Charlie and Rose Huntington drove their 1977 Pontiac Can Am from Newcastle for the show. Nelson Bowden of Canaan arrived to show off his 2001 Plymouth Prowler, and Paul and Annette Fitzgerald drove their 2003 PT Cruiser

from Millinocket. There were muscle cars, classic cars, antique cars, street rods, and more for people to see. Why, there was even a 1988 Lincoln limousine on the premises!
     Throughout the day items were given away to participants and spectators. There was a scavenger hunt, several raffles and an auction of car related items as well as merchandise and gift certificates from local businesses. Music for the day was provided by Paul Hanson of Bangor. Refreshments were on sale throughout the day courtesy of the 3 Rivers Kiwanis of Milo and D&M Concession of Old Town.
     While the event does not categorize vehicles in classes and present trophies for the best in each class, there are a few trophies and awards presented. The Favorite Cruizer trophy was presented to Mike Derrico of Bangor who owns a 1970 Dodge Dart. Charlie and Rose Huntington of Newcastle were presented with the "Longest Distance Traveled" award. Roger and Barbie Shedd's 1963 Chevy Pickup took home the "Vehicle In Restoration" trophy. The Dusters Antique Auto Club was awarded the "Best Appearing Club" trophy. Their club had the most members attending the Cruize-In. Fortunately, there were no "hard luck stories" to report. The club gives a trophy to someone who has an unfortunate event to recount about their attendance at the show. Richard Stites, who recently moved to the area from California, did tell the Cruizers that his hard luck story was that his car was still in California!
     A Rap Contest was held. This event measures the decibel level from a vehicle’s exhaust. This is always a popular event. The winners this year were: 1st place - Joe Foster's Ford pickup at 112 decibels, 2nd place - Gary Nickerson's Chevy Malibu at 110 decibels,
Page 1

and a three way for 3rd place - Lory and Diane Langley, Thomas Dyson, and Jessie Ladd who all measured in at 105 decibels.
     Several raffles were held. An L.E.D. poster titled "Roadside Diner’ was presented to Sheri Conley of Milo. A Kids' Raffle (tickets were free, of course) provided Smokey the Bear puppets to Michelle Chandonait and Megan Hultman. There was also a 50/50 raffle which provided the winner with $187.
     The scavenger hunt, which asked participants to find as many as 20 items that they might have with them at a show, was won by Monica Dyson and Diana Merrill of the Dexter area, who teamed up together to find 17 of the requested items.
     The Cruize-In ended with an auction. Those attending bid on gift certificates and merchandise from a number of area merchants, old and new automobile items, and other items related to the sport. Some lucky guy went home with a package of windshield wiper blades in their original wrapping that fit - well, only the bidder knew what they would fit. The blades were given to the Cruizers by John Eckolm of Brownville Junction who found them when cleaning out his father's garage. There were items for the ladies, too, such as plants provided by the Berry Patch Greenhouse and a gift bag from Total Image beauty salon.

Louis and Kat Soucier, Greenbush, 1969 Blown Camaro

Bruce Little, Lakeview, 1966 Corvette

     The first Cruize-In was held at the Milo American Legion and was organized in just a few weeks. About 50 cars participated in that event. The event grew quite quickly in the first few years and president Fred Worcester says that it is as big as the group can handle. There have been years when there was no room in the lot for more cars. This year's attendance was slightly below average but overall the event was as successful as in other years.
     The Cruizers would like to thank the following businesses who contributed to the event: Salley’s Auto Repair , S&L Auto Parts, Bailey Lumber, Dover CarQuest, Total Image, Simple Sacks, 3 Rivers Feed and Redemption, Berry Patch Greenhouse, Field of Dreams, Lakeview Realty Company, Milo Farmers Union, J&S Furniture, Harmon's Texaco, Milo Exxon, C&J Variety, JDs Emporium, The Restaurant, Cat Trax, Graves Service Station, Ellen DeWitt Real Estate, Charles W. Artus Inc., Milo House of Pizza, Pamola Motor Lodge, East Coast Performance and Rowe Ford.
     The Penquis Cruizers felt that this was a very successful day for them and thank all those who attended. Proceeds from this event will benefit area charities.

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, JD's Emporium, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings






Page 2

Saturday, July 5, 2003 at
The Park Street United Methodist Church
7:00 a.m. to 10:00 a.m.
Menu: Scrambled Eggs, Ham, Home Fries, Baked Beans, English Muffins, Juice,
Coffee or Tea and Donuts.
Price: Adults.....$4.00 Children.....$2.00
Come to the coolest spot in town and meet your friends and classmates, as you start the day for the Alumni Banquet and meeting to be held in the evening.
To benefit programs of the Church.

Boy Scout Troop 115 has suspended meetin, for the summer and will re-form in September.

Brownville Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. Evan Larson's horses were (a) Taffy and Spud (b) Rose and Mary (c) Pat and Mike (d) Peter and Paul.
2. Most Swedes came here directly from (a) Sweden (b) Portland (c) Wisconsin. (d) New Sweden/Stockholm, Maine.
3. Charlie Foulkes was a (a) teacher (b) constable (c) guide (d) mechanic.
4. Brownville became a town in (a) 1824 (b) 1826 (c) 1830 (d) 1835.
5. The tallest BJHS Railroader was (a) Bill Davis (b) Tom Lockhart (c) Poochie Boobar (d) Don Gilson.
6. The YMCA was once used as a (a) store (b) firehouse (c) church (d) hospital.
7. Rev. John Meisner was a(n) (a) Democrat (b) Republican (c) Independent (d) Green.
8. The present museum building came from (a) the Merrill Quarry (b) Crocker Quarry (c) Knight's Landing (d) Lake View.
9. (a) Dr. Hayes (b) Dr. Harden (c) Dr. McDonough (d) Dr. Stanhope was killed in a train accident.
10. Taffy was a Welshman...Taffy was (a) beautiful (b) stupid (c) a thief (d) a quarry foreman.

Answers: 1-c 2-d 3-b 4-a 5-d 6-d 7-b 8-b 9-a 10-c

     It was a long drive and long day for the boys who made it down to the Hemond's Motocross Park in Minot, Maine on Sunday, June 22. The sky was very cloudy.....but overall the weather co-operated with only a few sprinkles every now and then.
     KOLE STEVENS rode down with JUSTIN MORRILL and both boys raced in the 125 Class.....with a whopping 32 bikes in that class alone. Both boys raced very hard and very well on what I considered to be a long, difficult track. Because of scoring errors by the officials, it was unclear where they ended up finishing but it was clear that they did an excellant job. A special thanks to those 2 boys for staying and cheering on Kyle

and Trevor on their second motos....they could have left when they finished and been home about 45 minutes earlier....but they chose to stay and support the other kids.
     KYLE FOSS raced the best race of his dirbike career.....bringing home a huge 1st place trophy in the 85C class.......with approximately 18 bikes. With a big jump on his take off.....he raced very well in the first moto and finishing in 2nd place. But his second moto....he knew what he had to do to capture the first place trophy and he went out and did it. Another great hole shot with the same kid breathing down his back; but this time he wouldn't let him get by him.....and he didn't. He took a big lead...and held it the entire race to clinch the 1st place spot.
     TREVOR LYFORD also raced extremely hard in the ATV class with 13 other 4-wheelers. The competition was pretty tough and I haven't seen that group of riders race quite that hard on what I consider to be a strictly dirtbike track; but he stuck with it and came home with a 4th place trophy in that class. Trevor also raced his 50cc dirtbike in the 50cc 7-9 year old class and made a fine showing (by not flipping) and finished overall 10th out of 22 . Next race.....Hemond's July 5th & 6th.

Motocross-June 22,2003
     All the local boys who raced Sunday came home with at least 1 trophy. In the 125 Youth Amateur Dustin Bishop placed 1st and our new comer Doug Lyford placed 2nd while Mike Bishop placed 3rd. In the 125 Youth Novice Luke Landry placed 1st and also placed 3rd in the 125 Novice. Dustin Bishop came home with another 1st placed trophy in the 250 Novice and Luke Knapp placed 2nd in the 85cc 12 and under. Great riding boys! If you haven't been to see these boys ride, you’re missing out on a lot of excitement. The next Seboeis race will be July 12 and July 13 they’ll race at Skowhegan.

     The women will meet at The Restaurant on
Thursday, July 3rd, at 8:00 AM. All women are welcome.
     On Saturday, July 5TH, there will be a breakfast at the Park Street United Methodist Church from 7 to 10 AM. Cost is $4.00 for adults and $2.00 for children. Family rates will be available. Don't forget all the Alumni events this weekend!

Dear Three Rivers News:
     We are so thankful to the Kiwanians for showing us what "The Restaurant" could look like during the prom formal night. We saw the potential need for ''Fine dining" in the area. We got the word out that we were having a fine dining night on July 12th, offering 2 seatings. In just two days, the 7pm seating was booked! Wow! We only have a few tables available for the 5pm seating and we are sure that it will book up by the 12th.
     Thank you all for your help and for showing us what we could look like all dressed up!
The Crew at 'The Restaurant'

Page 3

     Hasn’t this past week been hot! Hopefully it has started to cool down by the time you are reading this column. Do remember though that the library is air-conditioned and the basement is always cooler too. We invite our patrons to come in for a restful moment or an afternoon to browse through the Piscataquis Observer or the most recent of your favorite magazines in our cool and pleasant interior.
     During the Kiwanis Kids Korner Val gave out Sungold Cherry tomato plants to every child to take home. She thoughtfully gave the librarians the extras, which I have dutifully watered as they enjoyed a window view growing taller and tal-l-ler until I finally had to put them out on my patio. The black flies have been so bad that I have not put them into the ground yet, but I guess I had better do it soon. Today (Thurs) I noticed a blossom on one! I hope the Kiwanis Kids have also had the fun of having their tomatoes blossom. It will be so delicious to have a “real tomato”.
     Here is another reference to the Kiwanis Kids Korner. Through the 10 weeks of the program I took pictures now and then, and this past week I mounted some of the better ones on a poster which is in the library hall. Come into the library and take a look at some of the activities that the Kiwanis Kids did for fun at their programs and at the final party. Maybe your child will be in one of the pictures.
     The Laugh It Up @ Your Library summer reading program has begun and members are signing up for food prizes and mascots while they are having fun reading. All ages from preschool through grade 6 are welcome , and there is no cut-off date to join. There is also a story time with a community reader on Wednesdays at 2:30. All children are welcome to this event and do not have to be a summer reading program member to attend. Last week the reader was Kathy Dixon-Wallace and she and her listeners enjoyed our cool basement during the story time. Thank you Kathy. Come into the library anytime we are open and introduce your child to fun events while they are reading or listening to more books this summer.
     We have received a new book, More Boston Post Canes : the Pine Tree State and Little Rhody by Barbara Staples. Patrons, who are interested in the history of this venerable tradition, may find this reference book of value. In it are listed the towns that received a cane and what has become of them. Locally Pearl Hamlin of the Quarry Pines is the holder of the Brownville Boston Post Cane. Another new book we have received is The Wall by Bill Sawtell. It is the story of the Vietnam experiences of a Milo man-Scott Smart.
     We will be closed July 4th in observance of Independence Day.

We hope you have a Happy and Safe Holiday
Library Summer Hours
Telephone 943-2612

     William Taylor Livermore was born in Sebec, Maine in 1840, the sixth child of David Livermore and Sarah Taylor Livermore. David Livermore owned property in the southwest corner of Milo, very near the Milo-Sebec line, on the banks of the Piscataquis River.
     William’s diary begins In August 1862, shortly after he was mustered into the 20th Maine Volunteers. Probably to pass time on the trip to Washington and Virginia, he began making a record of the

trip and he continued even as his unit went from one battle area to another. He gives an excellent picture of their living conditions and the thoughts he had about the war and about family back at home.

     Oct. 2: All quiet today. Avail Leonard taken to the hospital quite sick. I wrote to Mother and Charles. Were ordered to be ready for a review by President Lincoln and McClellan, but it did not come off. Seven of our boys that were left behind came in tonight in good spirits. No news.
     It is reported that the Rebels are fortifying about 6 miles from here. There has been a balloon in the air half of the time for a week. Hartson is detailed for cook. Doctor Monroe arrived last night for our Regt. He is a fine surgeon from Belfast.
     Oct. 3: It is a beautiful morning and we are ordered to clean our guns and scrub our britches and be ready for review at 9 a.m. We fell into line and marched about 3/4 of a mile and went into a ploughed field and stood. Set in the dirt until 1 o’clock p.m. when we saw at a distance a group of horsemen and after they passed to our right, they were saluted by 21 guns. They reviewed 2
divisions and then they came to ours. The president rode in front, mounted upon a fine black horse. General McClellan and Portor Morrell with a guard of some 50 men. Some 12 generals were with him.
     The President looked about as I had expected; very tall, rather plain in features, with a tall black hat. He is a firm and hard looking man. We cheered him by brigades. There were 25 or 30 of our troops.
     After the review, we went back, tired and hungry. In the evening, 7 of our Co. that were sick detailed and left at Arlington, came in feeling first rate. About 70 came into the Regt.; 773 in the camp now.
     Oct. 4: After Co. drilled, the Regt. went in companies to the Potomac and washed. We had a fine time. I washed my shirt and stockings and washed myself all over with soap. After I got back I saw a great louse on my bosom, and upon examination I found that I was as lousy as a calf. I had itched and burned, and thought it was poison. But I am detailed corporal of the water squad and cannot boil my clothes tonight. W.H. Owen is sick in camp. The rest all well.
     Oct. 5: It is a beautiful Sabbath morning and seems a little like fall. Some said there was a frost. I had a restless night for the lice were aware of my designs and they seemed to ralley their whole force. They were drilling a skirmish drill except when they were falling in for rations. They would gnaw a great deal of the time. I lugged a kettle of water and after our inspection of arms I boiled my shirt, draws, pants and stockings.
     I received a letter from Charles this morning while getting breakfast, and was glad to hear from home. He said he had written 4 letters since I left Portland. I have received 2 before this.
     Oh, it seems as though I should like to be at home today, but then I do not know as I do, to come back again when I go, I want to stay. But I am perfectly contented and my health is the best. I feel stronger than I have since I left Maine. My appetite is good. I bought a tin box full of butter that held about 3/4 of a pound for 35 cents. It is good. It will last some time. We use it when we need it the most.
     Charles White of Dover, in our Co., went to sleep on his post Thursday night. He was detailed for guard when I was, and he went over to the 6th Maine without leave, and they put him on 24 hours more to punish him. He went to sleep, and they have him under guard, and is waiting his trial. They will probably send him to Harper’s Ferry to work on fortifications. One fellow is lugging an oak rail for 48 hours for saucing a Lieut.
Page 4

     Once in a great while I see a woman, but they are not like our Maine girls. When I get a woman, I shall get her just as near Katahdin as I can, for the farther you go the more inferior the inhabitants are. I can tell a downeaster as quick as I hear him talk.
     Our Col. is acting brigadier now. I wish he would be promoted or resign, though he is the best, and is called the handsomest field officer there is in Porter’s Corps. He is handsome form and stought and handsome features. He has an eye like a hawk. He was Capt. of the artillery in the first Bullrun, and was wounded and would not leave until they carried him away. Our Lieut. Col. is one of the finest men that ever lived. He is a religious man and a professor at Bowdin College for years. When he left they made a beautiful present of a gray horse that cost $900. It is the handsomest horse I ever saw.
     I must finish a letter that I commensed yesterday to F.L. and write to E. Ricker.
     Oct. 6:
All quiet today and we are in our encampment and as well as usual. I lost my wallet last night with $5 and my pens. I was very sorry for I had calculated to keep enough to last me until I got paid. But that is not the worst loss that I could have met. No news

Traditions of a Milo-Ite
     My mom's Dad died before I was born, but his nurturing ways were legendary in the family. As a child growing up I can remember how strange it was that I knew this man so well and yet I'd never laid an eye on him, nor never heard his voice. I think I know what his voice must have sounded like because my four uncles (his sons) all sound or sounded a little bit alike and I'll bet Grandpa Morrison's voice was like theirs. Grandpa Morrison was a big and strong man. Legend has it that when Dan Morrison turned off a valve at the Great Northern Paper Company, he was the only one who could turn it back on. He always called his children "darling," "sweetheart," or "dear." Usually the endearment was preceded by "My little." I can remember that when my mother passed away one of the things that broke my heart the most was that I didn't know who would ever call me "sweetheart" again.
     My grandfather Morrison left his home in Prince Edward Island when he was sixteen years old. He came to Maine to visit with his cousins, the Hamm family, in Springfield, Maine before leaving for the wild western state of Colorado. His cousin, Mrs. Hamm, had just taken in a small child to care for along with her own children. Mrs. Hamm's dear friend, Sarah Russell had recently died leaving a husband, three sons and a little girl named Clara. Clara must have been about two years old at the time. Clara's father worked in the woods....a very hard and rigorous life. He was able to keep his boys with him in the situation that he lived.....but a dainty little girl? There wasn't any way he could find to have his darling daughter with him, and so when Mrs. Hamm said she'd keep the little girl; Mr. Russell agreed, breathing a sigh of relief that his baby would be cared for the way his wife would have wanted her cared for. Mr. Russell always came to see his little daughter whenever he got into town....and he provided well for her while she was being raised by foster parents who adored her like she was there own. After Daniel's visit with his cousin he headed out west. This part of my Grandfather's life we don't know too much about.....but we do know that in the 1800's the west was new and wild and it must have been quite an experience for this curious young man.

     After many years Dan received news by mail from his cousins in Springfield that there was a great big paper mill being cut out of the wilderness in an area to be known as Millinocket. Not only was there the promise of work in the construction of such a mill and the community that would surround it, but there was also the assurance that you would have plenty of work for your lifetime. Dan still wasn't married. He had no real ties to the west that he'd come to know in the last 18 or 19 years, and so made the journey back to Maine to begin a long career at the Great first helping to build not only the mill, but the homes and the church that he loved so much....and then working in the mill itself where he was a foreman.
     At the home of his relatives he found that the toddler that his cousin had taken in just prior to his trip out west, had grown to a lovely young woman. Dan Morrison and Clara Russell fell in love, married and raised their huge brood in one of the little company houses at 102 Katahdin Avenue in Millinocket . Three bedrooms and a bath upstairs soon proved to be too small for all the little Morrison children. Grandpa fixed that by building a sun porch room on the side of the house....out through a French door in the dining room. Three of his darling daughters who were close of an age slept on that sun porch through their youth and teen years. Older sisters had a room upstairs and younger brothers were also up there. My mother's older brothers were out of school and had homes of their own when she was a youngster. She didn't ever remember them living at home.
     Grandpa Morrison taught his children to love one matter what. They did and they do. All that are left of those children are aged now, but they are the most loyal loving family that I know of. "Take care of one another," Grandpa would say to them. And they did. As it turned out, Grandpa had brothers who moved to the area from Prince Edward Island. Nana Morrison's brothers settled in the area, as well. All of those cousins living nearby made for happy family times for the beloved Morrison children.
     Their father read to them every night. He saw to it that his wife had help with her household duties. She had a seamstress who came right to the house to help her make clothes for their children. Mealtime must have been a major undertaking each day. But the table was always set with the finest. Mom always said that they lived through the depression without a clue that such a thing was going on in the world around them. He nurtured them with a quality of living that rivaled the richest of children anywhere in the world.
     He'd go to the store daily and buy fresh fruit for each child. He'd make special little bedtime snacks and deliver them to each child taking the time to share in this snack time to find out how their day had gone and what each had for dreams or disappointments. He demanded quality behavior and school grades from each of his children. Mom was probably his most challenging child, behavior wise. She was a tomboy, and bullied the little neighborhood kids who might dare to say a bad word about any of her siblings - both older and younger. Mom had a friend who dared to do anything.....and often led Mom down a scary path. Grandpa Morrison expected his girls to go to college. He knew that his boys could make a good living at the mill, and they did. The girls, however, needed to have college educations so as to be able to ensure themselves good livelihoods. As it turned out his daughters all graduated from college - but one. My aunt was all enrolled in nursing school. She was packed and ready to make the trip to Bangor. Nana and one of the older
Page 5

brothers packed Aunties stuff into the car and away they went. Much later in the day the car pulled back into the driveway....and who steps out of the car but uncle...and Auntie; who got to the all unpacked....and then promptly begged to come back home, crying and wailing all the way back to Millinocket. My mother said that Grandpa Morrison stood in the window watching the three come up the walkway and cautioned any of the siblings who were peering in awe out the window to "say not a word!!!" He evidently wasn't going to have the pleasure of seeing this one through college. Auntie married young - and she and her husband have lived a very successful life for nearly 60 years. She did very nicely without the college degree.
     Grandpa Morrison developed cancer in his 76th year. He didn't live to see me into this world, dying before I was born.....but his memory is larger than life to me. How could I know so well this man who I never met...never got to sit on his big lap...never got to tell him a dream or two of my own...much less a disappointment. He would have loved me, that I know. I would have been his little sweetheart, for sure.
     I'm glad that I had this chance to reflect on the wonderful father's that I knew.....and didn't know. The father's in my family would love this recipe:

Strawberry Rhubarb Streusel Pie
3 cups copped fresh (or frozen, thawed) rhubarb
1 cup sliced fresh (or frozen, thawed) strawberries
1 cup granulated sugar - or a little bit more if you like pies sweet
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 unbaked 9 inch pie shell

2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/3 cup hard butter or margarine

     Combine the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar, flour and lemon juice in a large bowl. Stir until combined. Turn into the pie shell. Combine the topping ingredients cutting in the butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture and bake in 375-degree oven for about 50 minutes.

     MILO - Charles C. Huff, 78, beloved husband of Carlene (Estes) Huff, died peacefully at his residence surrounded by his loving family, June 25, 2003. He was born June 1, 1925, in Dexter, the son of Joseph and Myrtle (McKinny) Huff. He was a graduate of Dexter High School and various schools of law enforcement. Charles was a police officer for the Town of Milo and Deputy Sheriff for Piscataquis County for many years. He worked as a heavy equipment operator for Great Northern Paper Co., retiring in 1991, and continued to enjoy his lifetime love of driving trucks. He was a 40-year member of Piscataquis Lodge No. 44 AF & AM, and a member of the Piscataquis Valley Fair Assoc. for many years, where he served as vice president, and superintendent of the pulling ring, because of his love of horses. He was also a member of the National Quarter Horse Association. He is survived by his wife of 37 years, Carlene of Milo, and their three daughters, Dolores M. Doble and Dolinda J. Doble, both of Milo, and Denise L. Doble and her friend, Debbie Quimby, of Orrington; three grandchildren, Nicholas Leonard of Orchard, Neb., Jacqueline Berry and her husband, Brian, of Machias, and Benjamin Leonard of Milo; a great-grandson, Riley Scott Berry; a sister, Gloria Wentworth of Corinth; a brother, Carl Huff of Caratunk. He is also survived by a step-son, Darrell Stewart and his wife, Gloria, of Dayton, and their children, Darrell Lynn, Denise, and Deena; three step-grandchildren; and numerous nieces and nephews.

     Burial will be in the family lot in Evergreen Cemetery. Those who wish may make memorial contributions to the Piscataquis Valley Fair Association, care of Scott Taylor, 290 Foxcroft Center Road, Dover-Foxcroft, ME 04426.
     Editors Note: So many of us remember Charlie Huff as being a fair and kind police officer. I truly believe all of us who were around during his and Jimmy Mark’s era as law enforcement officers developed a positive view of the police, thanks to them.

     Breakfast at the hotel is always included with tours. This morning we had our choice of scrambled eggs, bacon, cereal, salami, cheese, croissant and fruit. The blood oranges were very tasty, but it took a while to get used to their red color inside. At 9:15 we took a bus about a half-mile to Cosmos Lucky Store. We were given a demonstration of marquetry or the art of inlaid wood. They take wood of different colors and place them on a paper pattern with a little glue. Once finished the paper is inverted onto the wood that will accept the inlay. The whole thing is sanded down and then covered with polyester lacquer. I asked why they didn’t use polyurethane and they said that the polyester was harder. They had small wall hangings and music boxes as well as the larger desks, tables and beds. I couldn’t afford the larger pieces. They cost in the thousands of dollars. I did buy a couple of small music boxes as well as a small wall hanging.
     After our shopping at the marquetry store, Carla bought us a treat from a local street vendor. It was dried figs with almonds and walnuts and was very tasty. We then proceeded on an expanded walking tour of the old town and were given some of its history. Sorrento was built on the cliff to prevent attack from the sea. We walked to the “edge of town” and had a view of Naples across the bay as well as Vesuvius. We stopped at the church of St. Francis of Assisi and visited the cloister that was filled with primroses. It was very beautiful. We also stopped at the cathedral. It was smaller than most cathedrals we saw, but the inside was beautifully done in the wood marquetry. Many scenes from the Bible were depicted. We returned to the hotel at 12.
     As I mentioned in my previous article on finding my roots, we wanted to make a side trip to Carpinone where my father was born. Carla had called a car rental company on Saturday and was told that it would cost us $300 to have a car and driver. They would allow us two hours to drive there, two hours there, and two hours to return. They also said that there was snow in the mountains and doubted they could go without chains which they weren’t willing to put on the car. When we returned from our walking tour, I asked Carla to call Marilena, since she didn’t speak English, at the number Nick provided to tell her of our problem. She said there was no snow and said that Thursday would be an ideal day because both she and Giovanna who teach school, had Thursday afternoon off. Carla said she would call another car rental. Steff and I walked back into town to pick up a few souvenirs and our first gelato of the trip. Gelato is the Italian version of ice cream and has many different flavors than regular ice cream. You can buy tomato, olive, tiramisu, as well as many others I was not familiar with. I have to admit, before the trip was done I had tried most of them!
     When we returned to the hotel, the last of the tour group had finally arrived so we are now complete at 33. I took a short nap in the room and was back in the lobby to follow Carla on a walking tour down to the small fishing village at the base of the cliff. It was a winding path decorated with flowers and statues of saints. We stopped by the boats so Steff could put her feet in the Mediterranean. She said the water was cold. We poked around the area for a while and then headed back up. Steff and I stopped at

Page 6

the Piazza Tasso or the main square of town. It is all decked out in preparation of the feast of St. Antonino or little Anthony the patron saint of Sorrento. The actual festival is next week but they celebrate for a couple of weeks with lights on the buildings and over the streets. Most of the streets of the old part of Sorrento are very narrow and allow only one car to drive in them. They are also so narrow that the cars have to have their side mirrors on hinges so they can fold them in when executing these streets. The motorcycles didn’t have any trouble and at least with the Harleys we could hear them in time to get out of the way. Steff wanted to buy a pull over heavy shirt and a saleslady insisted on putting it on her to be sure it fit. Since Steff couldn’t speak Italian, she had no choice.
     About 6 PM I got a call from Lucia, the wife of my cousin Antonio in Isernia. Isernia is about 5 miles from Carpinone and is a city about the size of Bangor. She could speak English. She said all the relatives were really looking forward to seeing us and hoped we could make it. I told her we would try. At 6, Angela, Georgia, Eloise, Steff and I went to the Aurora Restaurant for dinner. I had a salami pizza. You can’t order a pepperoni pizza in Italy. They don’t know what you are talking about. They think you want a pepper pizza. The closest thing is salami.
     After eating Steff and I went to exchange money. My sisters and Eloise decided to walk back to the hotel. The streets were not lit well and Angela lost her balance when she stepped off the curb. Down she went and hit her face on the cobblestones. She broke her teeth and got a bloody nose. Georgia and Eloise picked up the pieces of her teeth and the three returned to the hotel. When Steff and I returned Carla told us about the accident and said she wanted Angela to go to the hospital. I took one look at her and agreed. We convinced her so Carla called a taxi. Steff, Georgia and Carla accompanied her. It was a 5-minute ride and cost her $30! The driver was an elderly man who took to Angela. He went into the hospital and got her a wheel chair. He wheeled her in and demanded that they take her immediately. He waited around until it was time to bring her back to the hotel and then helped her back to her room. He even called a nurse to come to give Angela a tetanus shot in her hotel room. I guess it was worth the $30. In Italy the meter on a taxi starts running when you call. If it takes the taxi a half-hour to get to you, you pay for the half-hour.
     At 10:30 I got another call from Guiseppe D’Avino who is the husband of my cousin Natalina. Natalina is a sister to Marilena. The D’Avinos live in Naples. “Geppino” said the family really wanted to see us and he could take three of us to Carpinone. I told him there were more than that who wanted to go so we would find a way and I would call him back.

A Historical Review - Part 2
A Wilderness Experience the Quiet Beauty of Chairback
BDN, Tom Shields, 2/17/1983
(A TRC Fringe Benefit, SUBMITTED BY C.K.ELLISON, 2003)
     Then, four years ago, the Hodsdons expanded their business, mainly for fishermen and hikers, to include cross-country skiers. And that, of course, meant operating in the winter. There were people, they reasoned, who would appreciate true wilderness skiing, even if they had to fly or ski or ride on a snow sled to get there. Tim, a seventh-grader, has an outgoing personality and laughs easily and often.
     His mother is one of his teachers. He has never seen his other one. She corrects his papers at the Calvert School, a correspondence school in Maryland.

     Early in January, Tim entered an editorial writing contest sponsored by the NEWS as a part of Newspaper in Education Week. The topic: "Should video games be banned or their use restricted?" Here he was, living in the woods, far from electricity and writing about PacMan. And he took first place -- an achievement, certainly, for a youngster who lives in a log cabin and studies by lamplight. "His teacher and I tell him he's doing good work but still, in some ways, he must feel he is in a void," Mrs. Hodsdon said. Winning the contest is "terrific... It connects him. This is really the first competition he's had with his peer group since we moved here."
     There is a frontier spirit in the way Tim and his parents live.
     Many people harbor a desire to get away, to break free of society's bounds, and live like people did generations ago. But only a few, like the Hodsdons, make dreams a reality. To many, this rugged region is special. The names and history tell part of the story. The first landmark on the journey into their camps is Katahdin Iron Works. It's a ghost town now with only a huge charcoal kiln and a blast furnace remaining, but for half of the last century it was a prosperous mining community. The woods road then skirts Silver Lake, winds along the Pleasant River, then climbs past the St. Regis Paper Co. logging camp. The road crosses the Appalachian Trail. Until rerouted a few years ago, the trail went right through the yard of the Hodsdons' camp. Chairback Mountain is off in the distance. Nearby, Gulf Hagas, with its sheer cliffs and waterfalls, is awesome, In the spring, when the snow and ice are melting, the Hodsdons, about three miles away from Gulf Hagas, can hear its powerful roar. (continued next week)

     Bob, a sweet and loving 11/2-year-old cat, needs a home. He is a shorthaired, black and white, neutered bobtail with updated rabies and distemper shots. He is also feline leukemia NEGATIVE. Originally a stray from the Greenville area; Bob was declawed by an unknown previous keeper. He would be a very good companion to anyone willing to provide a comfortable and loving forever home.
     Another rescued cat from Van Horn Avenue in Brownville Jct. needs a very quiet, secure home. This almost 2-year old female is distrustful of people until she gets to know them. She is spayed with her first shots and needs a patient home with someone willing to help a cat in need without expecting anything of her. She is a shorthaired, black and brown tiger with white markings.
     There are also a couple adorable kittens rescued by Jerry Washburn who need a home. We are told they are really cute and very active.
     To help find homes for these cats please call Julie Gallagher at 943-5083.

     A seven-year-old Siamese cat with VERY crossed eyes is missing and her owner, Cathy Jordan of Lincoln Street in Brownville Jct. would love to have her back! If you have seen the white-pawed kitty, call Cathy at 965-8741.

Page 7

Title: The Language Police How Pressure Groups Restrict What Students Learn Author: Diane Ravitch (Reviewed May/June on C-Span)
About this Book
     Before Anton Chekhov and Mark Twain can be used in school readers and exams, they must be vetted by a bias and sensitivity committee. An anthology used in Tennessee schools changed "By God!" to "By gum! and "My God!" to "You don’t mean it." The New York State Education Department omitted mentioning Jews in an Isaac Bashevis Singer story about pre-war Poland, or blacks in Annie Dillard’s memoir of growing up in a racially mixed town. California rejected a reading book because The Little Engine That Could was male.
     Diane Ravitch maintains that America’s students are compelled to read insipid texts that have been censored and bowdlerized, issued by publishers who willingly cut controversial material from their books -- a case of the bland leading the bland.
     The Language Police is the first full-scale exposé of this cultural and educational scandal, written by a leading historian. It documents the existence of an elaborate and well-established protocol of beneficent censorship, quietly endorsed and implemented by test makers and textbook publishers, states, and the federal government.
     School boards and bias and sensitivity committees review, abridge, and modify texts to delete potentially offensive words, topics, and imagery. Publishers practice self-censorship to sell books in big states.
     To what exactly do the censors object? A typical publisher’s guideline advises that...
1. Women cannot be depicted as caregivers or doing household chores.
2. Men cannot be lawyers or doctors or plumbers. They must be nurturing helpmates.
3. Old people cannot be feeble or dependent; they must jog or repair the roof.
4. A story that is set in the mountains discriminates against students from flatlands.
5. Children cannot be shown as disobedient or in conflict with adults.
6. Cake cannot appear in a story because it is not nutritious.
     The result of these revisions are -- no surprise! -- boring, inane texts about a cotton-candy world bearing no resemblance to what children can access with the click of a remote control or a computer mouse. Sadly, data show that these efforts to sanitize language do not advance learning or bolster test scores, the very reason given for banning allegedly insensitive words and topics.
     Ravitch offers a powerful political and economic analysis of the causes of censorship. She has practical and sensible solutions for ending it, which will improve the quality of books for students as well as liberating publishers, state boards of education, and schools from the grip of pressure groups.
     Passionate and polemical, The Language Police is a book for every educator, concerned parent, and engaged citizen.
About the Author
     Diane Ravitch is a historian of education and Research Professor of Education at New York University and Nonresident Senior Fellow at the Brookings Institution in Washington, D.C. She was

assistant secretary in charge of research in the U.S. Department of Education in the administration of President George H. W. Bush and was appointed to the National Assessment Governing Board by President Bill Clinton. The author of seven previous books on education, including the critically acclaimed Left Back: A Century of Battles Over School Reform, she lives in Brooklyn, New York.
(Book review summary submitted by C.K.Ellison)

Center Theatre Presents:
The Chris Kleeman Blues Band
At Sebec Village Community Park Gazebo
In Sebec Village
On Saturday, July 12th from 2:00 to 4:00 P.M.
(Rain or Shine)
Bring your chair, blanket, the kids and a lunch and enjoy this blues band on the shores of Sebec Lake. Chris Kleeman has been playing the blues for years. His blues are not for the faint of heart, he ROCKS!
Tickets are $5.00 at the gate
Reserve a box lunch at the Sebec Village Café if you like (564-3223)
Funded in part by: The Maine Community Foundation, Piscatiquis County Funds
Co-sponsored by: Sebec Village Shops and Sebec Historical Society
Café Lunch Options:
Sub sandwiches $7.50
(Included: Coleslaw, Soda and Cookie)

     Priscilla Arbo Clifford Osgood was born in Orono but returned to North Brownville Prairie after her father finished his education at the University of Maine. She attended grade school at North Brownville and went on to the Brownville Jct. high schools where she was encouraged to write by Josephine Stubbs, her grade school teacher.
     The following poem is only one of many she wrote during her lifetime.

When the very last lesson was heard
In our old North Brownville school,
Where I had gone and my dad had gone
To learn the golden rule.

When the teacher pulled the very last time
And rang the schoolhouse bell,
And the children grouped around her,
And the gathering teardrops fell.

‘Twas the ending of an era
That is missed unto this day.
When the teacher held the driving reins,
The teacher held the sway.

She held them then with reins of love,
For every pupil there,
Just worshipped and adored her,
Still she had love to spare.

Somehow, my dad fell heir to
That old time schoolhouse bell,
And he mounted it ‘neath an old pine tree
On the farm I loved so well.

So over the years, the old school bell
Was used to toll us home.
I still can hear its clear deep tone,
Where e’er in the world I roam.

Page 8

     The Piscataquis County delegation watches Governor Baldacci as he signs LD 1357 “An Act to Encourage Economic Development in Piscataquis County.” This bill allows Piscataquis County to bond for economic development projects.
     Attending the ceremony (Front row L to R): Rep. Jim Annis, Senator Paul Davis, John Simko, Mark Scarano, Tom Lizotte, Owen Pratt, Scott Hersey, and Noreen Copp. (Back row L to R): Matt Earnest, Bill Ferdinand, Erik Stumpfel, and Darren Winham.

     Ben Mika Wuoristo is the brand new son of Visa and Janelle (Nelson) Wuoristo. They live on Husson Avenue in Bangor. Ben was born at Eastern Maine Medical Center on June 16, 2003 and weighed 9 pounds, 11 ounces and is 21_ inches long.
     The proud grandparents are Tony and Cindy (Wiley) Davis of Brownville Jct. and Kari and Marja-Leena Wuoristo of Kirava, Finland.
     Great-grandparents include Earla Nelson of Brownville, Rhea Chase of Brownville Jct., and Aimo and Lüsa Laine of Helsinki, Finland.

     This photo of the old Milo High School is a reprint of an old postcard from sometime in the late 1920’s or possibly the early 1930’s.

(Postcard courtesy of John and Eileen Willinski.)

     Our Maine Idea is a bright new idea when shopping for crafts, collectibles, baked goods, books, scrapbooking supplies, and much more. Located at 259 Milo Road in Sebec, this delightful business boasts works by nationally known craftspeople as well as the wonderful talents of local and other Maine artisans.

     At Our Maine Idea special gifts can be found amongst quilted tote bags, hand knitted socks, colorful candles, country crafts, and pine needle basketry.
     The natural beauty of Maine, especially Piscataquis County, is captured on canvas and in the photography displayed for sale throughout the store.
     Shoppers will also enjoy the taste of Maine in the wide selection of maple products from nuts to popcorn to amber syrup in decorative bottles. On Thursday s, visitors to the store will have first choice of fresh homemade breads, rolls and three different and delectable types of whoopie pies.
     But even more is in store at Our Maine Idea. Those who love small antiques and collectables will find pictures of Victorian children, hand painted photographs and a lush green velvet photo album adorning window ledges and walls. Tables and shelves display glassware, kitchen utensils and bottles. Aprons and cookbooks tempt browsers to try their hand at old recipes.
     Perhaps you are looking for a good book for your summer reading. Our Maine Idea is the place to go for works by local authors as well as quality used mysteries, romances, children’s stories and more at excellent prices.
     Owner Kim Hill has also devoted an entire wall to scrapbooking supplies. Everything you need from scrapbooks to paper cutters to paper, stickers, templates, tags, photo corners, letters, borders, chalk and much more is available to satisfy any scrapbooking enthusiast.
     Kim also offers scrapbooking workshops on the second floor of her business. In fact, this room is available for rent to anyone wishing to offer an arts or crafts workshop.
     So the next time you would like to shop somewhere new and with lots of variety, too, visit Our Maine Idea on the Milo Road in Sebec. Open Thursday, Friday, and Monday 10-5:30, Saturday 10-4, and Sunday 12-5. For more information or to rent space, please call Our Maine Idea at 564-7697.

     Just a quick note to let you all know that I will be “on vacation” for the next 2 weeks. I am so excited to say that both of my kids and their respective friends will be home for a week or so. We haven’t seen Ben since Thanksgiving so I will be hanging out with him as much as possible, and it’s always a wonderful time with my Katie, so I want to have time to spare.
     You can rest assured that I will be gathering tidbits to share with you through my stories. And you can also be sure that I will be watching out for the animals of the area. Everyone who makes the mistake of leaving their dog in a hot vehicle too long will know I’ve been there by the big, sloppy, bowl of ice water I leave in their driver’s seat. Nothing like a wet butt to get a person’s attention!

Page 9



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at Angie’s Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Janet Richards or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President Edwin Treworgy welcomed twenty-three members today and guest Wayne Clukey from the Dexter Kiwanis Club.
     Roy Bither led us in the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb Dunham led us in a heartfelt prayer.
     Val Robertson was our inspiration today with a message from Charlie Brown. As he kept striking out Charlie Brown was heard to mutter, “I’ll never make it.” Lucy told him to look at immediate goals like walking onto the field without falling down. The first step today is the well-worn path for tomorrow!
     Belated birthday wishes to Sonya Salley on the 24th and belated anniversary congratulations to Joe and MaryJane Zamboni also on the 24th. Peter and Sheri Conley and Heidi and Leroy Finson will celebrate their anniversaries on the 28th.
     Twenty-four happy and sad dollars ($11.55 in can and bottle returns donated by Frank Cochrane and Lorraine Schinck.) were donated to the Administration Fund today for the handmade auction sign, good trip, waking up, Cruize-In help, the calendar being ready to send in, always the Yankees, still having good legs, and paying Alumni dues. Thank you all!
     The reports for today were concerned with the upcoming auction. Plans were finalized for moving the tent and picking up addition items, moving the bleachers, setting up a tent for Freedom Fry and doughboys sales, asking for volunteers to issue numbers, write down purchases, and take money, arranging for auctioneers, people to sell raffle tickets, people to move items to the auction block, starting the yard sale at 5 pm, people to help move tables in Derby, and getting a thumbs up for the good to go food wagon crew.
     Our guest speaker for July 2 will be Seth Barden and John Wentworth on July 16.
     Senator Paul Davis was our guest speaker today. He is presently serving his third term in the Maine Senate. He told us that he always enjoys his visits with us and will try to help out at the auction on Friday evening as one of our auctioneers.
     Senator Davis entertained us with a satirical poem. It seems that a politician has passed away and met St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. There he was told that there were special plans for him and he had a choice to make. The first choice was

going to heaven where he saw that the streets were paved with gold. His second choice was to go to hell and when he was shown the open gates he saw that it was a beautiful place where his friends were happy. The politician opted for hell but when he saw through the gates again it wasn’t as he expected it to be; it was hot and his friends were picking rocks. St. Peter told him that what he saw the first time was the campaign but the real hell came after the election!
     After being chosen as the Leader of the Senate, Governor Baldacci came to him for a meeting because the State was in serious trouble. Balancing the budget without an increase in taxes was top priority but it can’t be done without the help of both parties. Maine people come first!
     The Governor said no to a proposal to place a tax on kayaks and to broaden the sales tax. He also said no to a surcharge on the already increased fines for speeding and related motor vehicle violations. A balanced budget without major increases was passed. Some small increases are in effect such as fees for four-wheelers and hunting and fishing licenses.
     The Bigger Picture tells us that Maine cannot handle any more taxes. The State has a 1.2 billion shortfall and present regulations and taxes prohibit new businesses from coming into the state.
     Senator Davis is against the gas tax as it was enacted two years ago. It means an automatic increase each July and next month’s increase will be close to 3 per gallon. Prescription drug companies must now announce what they spend on advertising and all receipts for consumer purchases must show the actual across the board price thus ensuring uniformity for all. Smoking in bars and pool halls will be banned as well as in those homes where foster children reside. Young people are now required to wear a helmet while snowmobiling. Telemarketers can’t block their number when calling. More money has been taken from the coyote-snaring program for use in targeted areas and bounties are no longer being paid.
     Voting on a gambling casino in Maine will take place this fall and polls show that people are in favor of it. Senator Davis informed us that the Governor is firmly against any form of gambling.
     It takes time to learn the ins and outs of serving in Augusta and he said it took him at least a year to find some of the necessary rooms!
     Thank you Senator for the informative update on the Augusta happenings.

TRC Community Calendar

TRC GuestBook

Val has been insterting entries from our guestbook. Please check them out!

Page 10

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance