Three Rivers News, 2003-02-11

Amber Emery, kindergartener at Brownville Elementary wishes everyone a HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!

Editors Note: I wish we had color for our pictures, as Amber is so “Pretty in Pink”! If you get a chance, check this out online to see what a beautiful picture this truly is.

     Students from PVHS will be selling carnations for Valentine’s Day to help raise money for their CLOSE UP trip to Washington, D.C. in March.
     Order forms are available from CLOSE UP students, the three SAD #41 elementary schools, or by calling 943-2473. The price of each flower is $1.00 and the flowers will be delivered on Valentine’s Day.
     Six students are planning to attend the weeklong CLOSE UP program this year, and are looking forward to getting a first-hand look at our government in progress.
     The students and staff of PVHS wish to thank the communities for their continued support of this annual trip.

Class of 1948 to Meet
     The Milo High School Class of 1948 will hold its next bi-monthly meeting on Thursday, February 13th at Freda & Everett Cook's Bed & Breakfast on High Street. The meeting will begin at 9:30 a.m. with one of Freda's delicious breakfasts and the usual socializing and then some initial planning for our 55th reunion on July 5, 2003. All classmates are urged to attend.

If you see Gini Foss, wish her a belated “Happy Birthday” ! The big day was Monday, Feb. 10th.
On Friday, February 14th, the Katahdin Seniors group will hold a Bake Sale at Maine Savings starting at 9:00 AM. Stop in and pick up a Valentine treat for your sweetie.

     Editors Note: I received this letter from Gerry and know all of you 1973 graduates will find it interesting. Not only do Gerry and Maurice look the same as they did 30 years ago, they seem to be doing some of the same things. I wonder if that mini-van in the background belongs to either of them.
     I want to thank you for your work in the TRC News. It has put me back in touch with friends and family after almost 30 years of being away from my hometown. I read the paper on-line each Tuesday night, hoping that I might see the name or picture of an old friend or member of my family. I've also used the "guestbook" to help locate classmates. So far I have contacted 14 of the 86 members of the class of 1973. You would think with living Florida, so far away from Maine, that contact would be difficult. The Internet, like the telephone did years ago, seems to bring us all a little closer.
     Last week I got a very nice surprise when one of the classmates I had been in contact with called me on the phone to say he was in town and wanted to get together. Moe Hanson and I had a wonderful time talking about our high school days, what we had been doing for the past 30 years, and whom we had been in contact with. He was in town on business so we got to spend a night out, talking about "the old days" and then had lunch the next day before he had to return home to Louisiana. I was great seeing an old friend. We talked a lot about the upcoming 30th Class Reunion. He, like I, is looking forward to the trip to Maine next summer and seeing former classmates.
Thanks again,
Gerry Demers

     PS. I'd also be interested to hear from anyone who attended PVHS during the 1969 - 1973 time period. They can contact my email at: I now live in Crestview, Florida, which is between Pensacola and Panama City. Moe lives in Louisiana


Page 1

     The women gathered at Smith's for breakfast
on Thursday, Feb. 6. The group was made up of women from Milo and Brownville Jct. There were thirteen of us and we enjoyed good food and great conversation in spite of the cold weather. My sympathy goes to the families of Monday's accident victims.
     The next Methodist Women's Ecumenical breakfast will be on held on Thurs. February 20th, 8:00 AM at Angie’s.
All women are invited.

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Tom Witham | Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings

Brownville Trivia
Choose the correct answer.
1.Mesach Jones was a(n) (a) store owner (b) teacher (c) quarry foreman (d) minister.
2. The Onawa Wreck took place in (a) May (b) September (c) October (d) December 1919.
3. The (a) Smith Act (b) Sinclair Act (c) Morrill Act (d) Ellis Act led to consolidation.
4. Silent movies were shown in (a) the Grange Hall (b) Dillon's Hall (c) the YMCA (d) both (a) and (b).
5. Paul Foulkes's father was named (a) Earl (b) Charlie (c) John (d) Merle.
6. The YMCA was built by the (a) churches (b) town (c) state (d) railroad.

7. Charlie Allen sold milk to (a) Frosty (b) Sealtest (c) Hood (d) Grant's Dairy.
8. The Brownville Historical Society building came from (a) the Crocker Quarry area (b) the Merrill Quarry area (c) Brownville Junction (d) Williamsburg.
9. The BJHS Railroaders played their last game against (a) Sumner (b) Greenville (c) Milo (d) Searsport.
10. The first Browns came here from what is now (a) Massachusetts (b) Quebec (c) New Brunswick (d) New York.
Answers 1-c 2-d 3-b 4-d 5-b 6-d 7-c 8-a 9-d 10-a





     The Penquis Valley Middle School Boys basketball team, coached by Michael Harris competed in the Penquis League Middle School Tournament.

Page 2

     The team played very well and finished as runners-up to PCMS of Guilford. Here, the team poses proudly with their trophy. The girl’s team lost to Howland in the semi-finals. Congratulations to both teams for successful seasons.

     Did you know that toothpaste came from rocks? On January 29, third graders at Brownville Elementary School learned many different everyday uses of rocks and minerals from their guest, Marty Yates. He is head of the geology department at the University of Maine at Orono. Marty brought a variety of rock specimens and the tools he uses in the field. He also invited the children to visit him at the university this spring. The third graders are looking forward to learning even more about the earth they live on.
     Brownville had some Totally Terrific Kids honored at its assembly on Friday January 31st. They were: EMILY EMERY in Kindergarten, NICOLE PADILLA in First Grade, RACHEL WORSTER in Second Grade, STEPHANIE VACHON in Third Grade, KAYLA BARKER in Fourth Grade and JESSE MCLAUGHLIN in Fifth Grade. Artists of the week included MICHAEL VACHON, BAILEE BURTON, KATLYNN AVERILL and ASHLEY PEAIRSON.
     Mrs. Witham was our Kiwanian Friend thisweek and Mrs. Lumbra was the recipient of the Opal Award.
     Bus students of the week were KAYLA HALL and JACOB LYFORD.
     What a great opportunity K-5 students have this winter! Mrs. Dawn Russell, PE and Health teacher for the elementary schools, recently received money for snowshoes from a Safe and Drug Free Schools grant.

     K-5 students are using them to hike trails and paths around the schools. Some even got to a spot where they could view Mt. Katahdin. It's been an awesome experience and has exposed the children to a terrific alternative to drugs and alcohol. Thanks SOOOOOOO much Mrs. Russell!
     There are some very exciting things happening at the Brownville Elementary School in the next couple of weeks. Saturday night (February 8th) was the Annual Father/Daughter Dance. Our Reading Challenge continues.

     Please encourage your children to read and meet their goal. They then need to fill in the proper paperwork and return it to school by Friday. If the whole school meets their challenge, Mrs. Bradbury has agreed to fulfill a promise that she made to the students. Let's just say the challenge has to do with a clown.......and a pie! She also will provide a treat for the kids......but they have to meet the challenge.

     One of the guest readers at Brownville Elementary last week during the school's Reading Challenge was Brett Gerrish, senior a Penquis and member of the Key Club. Brett read a book about owls that the 5th graders really enjoyed. They also asked lots of questions about Penquis Basketball and attending high school. Thanks Brett!
     The next week will find the Brownville Elementary School celebrating Valentine's Day in a very unique way. The whole day will be devoted to learning about the tropical islands of the world. Each classroom will be designated a different place.....and each classroom will provide a different learning experience. Please help your student try to find clothing that is appropriate for a day in the tropics. You may want to plan to drop in to the school that day just to enjoy the transformation that we intend to make in our decor......

     A quick and wonderful update to report about the 6th graders field trip to Boston. The PTO/teachers wanted each of the kids to wear something similar to distinguish them quickly in a crowd and Lakeview Realty's owner Kevin Nason has made a generous offer to sponsor ALL the T-shirts for the entire 6th grade. A big thank you from the 6th grade class and all the people working to make this trip possible. We'll really stand out in a crowd now!

From the Classroom of:
• Mrs. Barden- Our Terrific Kid is a second time winner. She is a great help in the classroom and is always wearing a smile. She makes better heart shapes than Mrs. Barden . She is KELLY PATTEN and we are glad she is in our room.

Page 3

• Mrs. Mills- Our Terrific Kid this week is a friend from last year who moved away and then rejoined us. She has made great connection with her old
friends. Her cursive handwriting has improved 100% since she came at Christmas. She is trying her hardest to learn her multiplication and division facts. She always has wonderful things to add to our classroom science and social studies discussions. We are happy to have RAEJEAN HERBEST in our classroom.
• Mrs. Dunham- Our Terrific Kid is a very sweet, kind young lady. Her daily work is always neatly done. Her cursive handwriting is a real pleasure to read.
     She has become quite an author. Her stories are full of interesting and very descriptive details. We love seeing her bright, happy smile each day. Congratulations to Ashley Goodine.
• Mrs. Dell'olio- This week's Terrific Kid is REBECCA CARPENTER because she is friendly, courteous, and polite; not only to her own classmates, but to
everyone else in the school. Rebecca is an A-one Terrific Kid. Thank-you Rebecca!
• Mrs. Tardiff and Mrs. Hussey- EDDIE LUFKIN- Eddie has been working had at being an
active listener during calendar time and bus time. We appreciate how Eddie leaves and enters our classroom without disruptions. He enjoys our read aloud time. Good job Eddie. KENDRA HERBEST- Kendra is a great worker in our class. Her work is always her best effort. She enjoys reading Junie B. Jones stories and has a lot to add to our discussions. She has been working hard following the "I Care "rules and being an active listener. We are proud of you!
Editors Note: The teachers and staff at Milo Elementary faced an emotional, sad time last week. The death of Joshua Lovejoy was a horrible thing and our wonderful folks at Milo Elementary did a great job in immediately seeing to the emotional needs of the youngsters at school. We are so lucky to have three elementary schools full of dedicated, capable, and loving teachers in our district.

SENIORS – Amanda Crouch-Smith, Jean Hamlin, and Melissa Madden.
JUNIORS – Jennifer Hussey, Amanda Kahl, and Rebecca Madden.
SOPHOMORES – Erin Beasley, Elizabeth Comeau, Elyse Kahl, and Jessica LaMunyon.
FRESHMEN – Christina Gerrish, Tyler Herbest, Kylie Palmer, and Brian Twitchell.
8TH GRADE – Jessica Metros.
7TH GRADE – Noah Bissell, Nycole Carey, Jessica Kahl, and Ryan Madden.

SENIORS – Nycole Beard, Heather Belair, Colby Chase, Abigail Cowing, Lisa Ellison, Leah Landry, Lucas Morris, Adam Russell, Ashley Sheldon, and Danielle Willette.
JUNIORS – Shawn Burke, Shannon Gerrish, Nanci Hamlin, Desiree Hogan, Krystle Morrill, and Cameron Wellman.
SOPHOMORES – Jordan Allen, Ashley Case, Danielle Graves, Katherine Hamlin, Hilary London, Michelle Mulherin, and Lindsay Small.
FRESHMEN – Dustin Grinnell, Jennifer Hartman, Jamie Perkins, Jeremy Perry, and Alex Zwicker.
8TH GRADE – Amber Benoit, Chris Bessey, Kristin Burch, Mindy Dolley, Krystle Leavitt, and Miranda McSwine.
7TH GRADE – Cody Andrews, Tyla Crocker, Haley Flanders, Kyle Gero, Jennifer Goodine, Amanda Larson, Michael Lawson, Alex London, Dylan Lyford, David Olmstead, Nicholas Pender, Sarah Philbrick, Cheryl Roesing, and Brian Zwicker.

Penquis Valley High School Basketball
FINAL Heal Point Standings

Boys Heal Point Standings
Girls Heal Point Standings

Online Editor's Note: Val had a big table with unofficial standings, but the final points were released yesterday, so I put these links instead.
Standings by Maine Principal's Association

By Judith Macdougall
     Two weeks or so ago, Pam and I had a surprise as we walked down the stairs to leave the library. Our Milo Quilt which had hung over the side door was gone!. Where had it gone? When had it gone? I assured myself no one could have walked off with it as a very long ladder would have been needed to remove it, and I think one of us would have noticed this action if it were taking place in the hall.
     Our Milo Quilt is in the crazy quilt pattern with scenes depicting Milo embroidered on its elaborate fabrics. There is a Bangor & Aroostook Railroad square, an American Thread square represented by three spools of thread, a chickadee, a pine tree, an early American flag , names of some early Milo settlers, and a center square showing Milo, Town of Three Rivers. This quilt was lovingly made and embroidered by Jane Cook, now deceased, but once many years ago an assistant librarian in our library, and the mother of Everett Cook, of the Hitching Post B & B. The quilt was raffled off and won by Patricia Crosby, a library trustee, who

Page 4

thought the quilt belonged in the library and gave it to us to display for all the townspeople to see.
     Well, the mystery was solved on Monday when Everett Cook brought the quilt back. He and his wife Freda had cleaned it for us and it was again ready to be enjoyed by our patrons. Dean Henderson, our custodian, has already put it back in its accustomed place over the side door. The next time you leave the library take a few minutes to study our Milo Quilt and you too will see how love and creativity have put a bit of Milo history on our wall for all of us to think about and enjoy.
     We have many income tax forms available for your use. We now have STATE OF MAINE LONG AND SHORT FORMS and many FEDERAL FORMS TOO.

Please note:

Library Winter Hours

Saturday 2:00-4:00

Update - LD 29 Alert (about E-Rate)
(As reported by Linda H. Lord, Director of Library Development, MSL, 02/06/03)
     The library world was well and ably represented before the Utilities and Energy Commission yesterday as a hearing was held on LD 29 "An Act to Eliminate the Telephone Service Tax Dedicated to Libraries and Schools". The only person speaking in favor of the LD was its sponsor.
     Presenters were articulate and clear about the devastating impact that would result from passage of this L.D. The work session on this bill is Monday afternoon (Feb. 10) at 1:00 p.m.
     The PUC, DOE reps, and Gary Nichols and Linda Lord (Maine State Library) will be there to respond to any detailed questions that may be posed.
     The following library-connected people presented testimony against the LD

  • Elizabeth Moran - Chair of the Maine Library Commission (Camden)
  • Anne Davis - President of the Maine Library Association
  • Steve Nichols - President of the Maine Trustees Association (Buxton)
  • Bill Sullivan - President of Friends of Maine Libraries (Bangor)
  • Nancy Crowell - Scarborough Public Library
  • Kristi Bryant - Wells Public Library
  • Gary Nichols - Maine State Librarian
  • Betsy Pohl and Sylvia Norton were in attendance.

Other agencies or groups represented and testifying in opposition were:

  • Maine Municipal Association
  • Public Utilities Commission
  • Office of the Public Advocate
  • Two members of the House of Representatives
  • ACTEM (Association of Computer and Technology Educators of Maine) President
  • A school principal
  • A school superintendent
  • Maine Private Schools

Those who submitted written testimony against the bill included:

  • The Maine Principal's Association
  • Maine School Management Association

Letters To the Editor:
Mr. and Mrs. Douglas V. Warren, Sr.
PO Box 163
Milo ME 04463-0163
February 2, 2003
To the Editor :
     February 12, 2003 is a day that may make history for all Americans. “The shot heard ‘round the world” was the beginning of our national journey to the honorable justice and freedoms of today. The twelfth of February can be the day our expressions of certain freedoms are turned against us with no less lethal effect than the planes that hit on 9-11-01. On February 12th attorneys for the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad Company will propose under Chapter 724 of the Federal Bankruptcy Code that priority for payment to these attorneys be moved ahead of payments of tax liens to municipalities and ahead of secured creditors. If not denied, this action will do

irreparable harm to the very entities who have historically supported the company. If a precedent is set with this action the effect could be detrimental on a national scale. Once there is a precedent any corporation can evoke the precedent on its behalf leaving countless municipalities seriously damaged financially. The potential exists to use the withholding of tax payments in this manner to force a community into compliance with corporate demands or, in extreme cases, to force it out of existence.
     During 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 property owners in the Town of Milo were assessed taxes at rates that increased to last years mil rate of twenty five dollars per thousand dollars of valuation. In all likelihood if payment from the B&A is not made the mil rate will be driven higher. During these years the corporate and private citizens of the town of Milo paid their shares and the share of the B&A to maintain our municipality and municipal services. The B&A continued to be fully supported by the existence of these municipal services and used them when needed for its corporate benefit. The price tag for the tie pile fire alone was about $ 70,000.00. There is no justice in recognizing this support with an action in bankruptcy court that allows the B&A to evade payment of their fair share of taxes. This is not an expression of honorable freedom.
     When the Town of Milo was asked for a Credit Enhancement Agreement by the B&A the citizens of the town agreed to provide assistance knowing that for a specific amount of time and in a specific amount they would be depriving themselves of tax revenue. Legal and financial considerations aside, neighbors do still help neighbors here. Now our provision of relief to a stricken company, extended in good faith, is at risk of being unjustly turned on us with further legal action. These two citizens would rather see the $ 35,000.00 in question relevant to the CEA, and whatever more is required, paid to attorneys to represent us in court than to pay monies to an entity when we believe there is no legal basis.
     The B&A has exercised its full rights as a corporate citizen of Milo, and it must accept its full share of responsibilities as well.
Sincerely yours,
Mr. and Mrs. Douglas V. Warren, Sr.

February 4, 2003
Commissioners Vote to Support County Bonding for Economic Development
     Dover-Foxcroft: Citing the recent layoffs of the Dexter Shoe Company and the troubles at Great Northern Paper Company, the Piscataquis County Commissioners voted today to approve the concept of County borrowing for economic development projects. The unanimous vote came during a meeting in which numerous municipal officials testified as to the impact a created job has on the entire county economy. Dover-Foxcroft Selectman Tom Lizotte noted that county commuting patterns clearly show that many people work outside the town in which they reside. “Clearly a job created in one community has both direct and indirect benefits to all Piscataquis County communities. No town is an island unto itself.” Lizotte stated.
     Responding to Commissioner Ruel Cross’ question about the process of bonding, Lizotte noted that the Maine Legislature would need to approve the process and that the any borrowing efforts would entail approval of the County Commissioners followed by a county-wide referendum. “It was important to us that the bonding process have strong checks and balances and that the public be extensively involved.”
     Brownville Town Manager Sophia Wilson said that although her community has worked with neighboring Milo on sharing services, economic development projects span the county and multi-municipal arrangements become confusing and unwieldy. “We need to get together as a county and push in the same direction for job creating projects.”
     Greenville Town Manager John Simko agreed, citing the difficulties multi-municipal efforts have faced in the past. “Piscataquis County’s population is small and no one community has the resources to tackle economic development alone,” Simko stated, “together, however, we can accomplish a lot.”
     County Commission Chair Eben DeWitt noted that the County has a good track record on supporting economic development efforts. He added that the Commissioners had originally included funding for a speculative building program but, because of other economic development
Page 5

priorities, those funds were not included. “This mechanism is a good way to fund economic development projects that affect the entire county.”
     The resolution, moved by Commissioner DeWitt and seconded by Commissioner Bartley is included below:
     “RESOLVE: Supporting Economic Development Efforts of Piscataquis County
     WHEREAS, recent closings of the Dexter Shoe Company plants in Milo and Dexter, the recent bankruptcy filing by Bangor and Aroostook Railroad, and the January, 2003 bankruptcy filing and plant closings by Great Northern Paper Company in Millinocket and East Millinocket have resulted in the loss of more than 1,600 jobs in Penobscot and Piscataquis counties, many of which had been held by Piscataquis County residents; and
     WHEREAS, the adverse economic impact of these plant closings on Piscataquis County as a whole has been abrupt and severe; and
     WHEREAS, there is a need to expand and diversify the economy of Piscataquis County, to compensate for employment opportunities that have been lost due to these plant closings; and
     WHEREAS, development of new employment opportunities in any one town of Piscataquis County provides economic benefits to the county as a whole; and
     WHEREAS, the 17,235 residents of Piscataquis County live in seventeen organized towns and a number of unorganized townships, no one of which is individually large enough to fund the cost or undertake the financial risk of assisting the location or relocation of significant new employers to Piscataquis County; and
     WHEREAS, there is a need to fund the cost of local and county-wide economic efforts in Piscataquis County at the county level, in order to pool resources, reduce overall risks, and avoid costly duplication of efforts; and
     WHEREAS, under current statutes as now in force, Maine's county governments do not possess direct authority to fund local or county economic development efforts, or to borrow money for that purpose;
     The undersigned Commissioners of Piscataquis County, Maine, acting in said capacity, hereby strongly support development and passage of emergency legislation conferring on Piscataquis County the statutory authority to fund local and county-wide economic development efforts, to include bonding authority for that purpose.
     The County Clerk is hereby directed to transmit attested copies of this Resolution to the Maine Legislature, the Governor's office, and to each member of the Piscataquis County legislative delegation, as an expression of the Commissioners' support for such efforts.
Adopted: February 4, 2003
Eben G. DeWitt, Chair
Ruel P. Cross, Commissioner
Woodruffe L. Bartley, Jr., Commissioner”

A Historical Review - Part 2
Allagash Waterway Offers a Sight to Behold
Piscataquis Observer, Bruce Nett, 8/27/1980
Supplemental to Maine Guide, Stanley Howland's story.
(Submitted by C.K.Ellison, 2003)
     One solution taken in the early 1900's was the construction of a tramway, a type of conveyer system, to carry wood over the 3,000 foot gap between Eagle Lake and Chanberlain Lake. The tramway consisted of a series to two-wheeled dollies bolted to an endless 6,000 foot cable and riding on rails. The logs were loaded at Eagle Lake end and dumped at Chamberlain.
     The tramway went into operation in 1903 and during its lifespan of six years, it moved some 150 million board feet over the route. Finally, the majority of timber had been cut off and the tramway was no longer needed. it sits there to this day. many of the bogey wheels are visible as are the rails and the cable. It doesn't look as if it would take much to get portions of it back in operation.
     In the early 1920's lumbering activity picked up again and the problems of transport between the two lakes became a problem. A new lease on life for the old tramway was considered but the volume of wood to be shipped was too great. The only answer was a railroad.
     One thing led to another and by 1926 the Umbazooksus and Eagle Lake Railroad was a reality. All of the equipment and supplies needed for the new railroad were hauled in overland from Lac Frontiere, Quebec during the course of the winter. This included all the steel for the 1,550-foot long trestle over the Allagash River and the two 90-ton steam engines. All of this took place in winter with travel over remote paths and over frozen water. The two locomotives

were second hand and came from the Rutland Railroad in Vermont and from the New York Central Railroad.
     As the new railroad began operations, it was taken over by the Great Northern Paper Company. GNP renamed it the Eagle Lake and West Branch Railroad. Additionally, Great Northern quickly constructed another five-mile-long railroad, the Chesuncook-Chamberlain. This line joined up with the Eagle Lake operation, but was used to move supplies from company warehouse to Eagle Lake operation.
     By 1927 the new railroad was in full operation and remained so until late in 1930. The two locomotives were run into their engine-house and stored. They haven't been moved to this day.
     Some years ago, a state employee acting under orders to burn some unwanted buildings in the immediate area torched the engine-house, thus exposing the locomotives to the elements.
     Although souvenir hunters have removed many parts of the two engines, they are still in remarkably good condition. One of the units, however, has had its cab completely destroyed. But rails are still there, as are wheels and many parts.
     Although it is difficult for anyone to get to the site it is a trip well worth taking.

Science Corner
     The VCR is probably one of the most complicated devices you have in your home. It is an electronic marvel.
     When television was first broadcast, all programs had to be live because there was no way to store them. In 1951 a company called Ampex started experimenting with ways to record television programs. There was no attempt to make the VCRs we have in our homes. It was to be used by television producers. The first attempts were to produce a tape similar to the tape used in tape recorders. In fact the tapes of both audio and video equipment use similar technology. A plastic tape (Mylar) is coated with small rectangular magnets. These are lined up in a certain way. When an electrical signal is sent to an electromagnet near the tape the small magnets become magnetized and hold that magnetism. When the tape is “played back”, a small electromagnetic picks up the magnetic field of the tape and converts it back to electricity. This signal is sent to a speaker or television picture tube to reproduce the image and or the sound.
     It wasn’t until Feb. 1956 that a working model of a VCR was developed and displayed at a trade show with much public acclaim. Two men are given credit for its development, Charles Ginsburg and Ray Dolby. Ray Dolby at age 19 quit school to join the engineers at Ampex. He was immediately drafted into the military and wasn’t able to continue is work until his hitch was up. The first use of a VCR by a network was on Nov. 30th 1956 when Douglas Edwards and the News was taped for rebroadcast on the West Coast.
     Among the reasons it took 5 years to develop the VCR was that initially engineers tried to use the technology of the tape recorder. On the audiotape the information in the magnetic particles is recorded in a long line. Video requires as much as 500 times the information. In order to get the information to fit in a straight line it would require a tape 50 miles long for a two-hour movie.
     Two developments shortened the amount of tape necessary. First of all it was decided to store the information in diagonal lines on the tape that are placed on top of one another similar to a line of dominoes that have fallen down. And the second was to have the reading head spinning as well as the tape going by it. The reading head spins 30 times a second as the tape is going by. Together they allow information to be read about 21 miles an hour. In addition to the video information being placed in diagonal lines another linear line records the audio information as well as a control track tells the VCR how fast to read the signal. Most VCRs can handle three speeds-SP, LP, EP and the VCR needs to know which one the tape is. Sometimes the VCR can’t completely synchronize with the tape and the user has to work with the tracking button.
     Modern VCRs for home use were produced in 1969 by SONY. The first ones were called Betamax. In 1972 the VHS models were introduced and quickly became the standard.
     VCRs have at least two heads. These are electromagnet sensors that are mounted on a spinning wheel. The wheel is tilted in

Page 6

the VCR so that the diagonal lines on the tape are read horizontally. If you remember the article on television, you will note that information is sent to the screen of the TV first by odd lines and then by even lines with the whole process is done 30 times a second. Well there are two reading heads in a VCR and one reads the even number lines and the other the odd. Some VCRs have four heads. This is because the requirements for the different speeds of tape are different and to get a good picture with all of them one set of heads reads SP while the other reads if LP or SP are used. As the speed of the tape slows for the LP and SP the lines of data have to be placed closer together in order for them to be read. Some people are satisfied with the quality of the picture with only two heads while others prefer the four.
     In addition to the heads for reading the video off the tape, the VCR has another head to read the audio as well as a fourth head used to erase the tape.
     When a tape is inserted into a VCR the machine pulls some of it out of the cassette. It is brought inside the VCR and wrapped around a number of spindles so that it is tight against all the reading heads. When the tape is done a clear section appears allowing light to pass through telling a photocell to stop the VCR. The reason it takes so long for the VCR to give you your tape back when you press eject is that it must put all the tape back in the cassette before ejecting.

In Memoriam
DOVER-FOXCROFT - Christy C. Crosby, 26, died unexpectedly Feb. 3, 2003, along with her son, Joshua Z. Lovejoy, in Sebec, as a result of an automobile accident. She was born Feb. 14, 1976, in Meriden, Conn., the daughter of Richard G. Crosby and Jacqueline (Libby) Crosby. She was employed at N.S. Taylor and Associates Inc. in Atkinson. She had been associated with the Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall in Milo. Christy is survived by her mother, Jackie Brayall and her husband, Larry, of Dover-Foxcroft; her father, Richard Crosby of Winslow; her sister, Melissa Kozza and her husband, Troy, of Winslow; her paternal grandfather, Jess Crosby of California; many aunts, uncles and cousins. Funeral services for both Christy and Josh were conducted Feb 7, 2003, with the Rev. Michelle St. Cyr officiating. Spring Interment will be in Evergreen Cemetery.

MILO - Joshua Z. Lovejoy, 5, died unexpectedly Feb. 3, 2003, along with his mother, Christy C. Crosby, in Sebec, as a result of an automobile accident. He was born July 14, 1997, in Dover-Foxcroft, the son of Kenneth E. Lovejoy and Christy C. Crosby. He is survived by his father, Kenneth Lovejoy and friend, Amanda White, who was Josh's "second mother", of Milo; his maternal grandmother, Jackie Brayall and her husband, Larry, of Dover-Foxcroft; his maternal grandfather, Richard Crosby of Winslow; his paternal grandparents, Earl and Annie Lovejoy of Williamsburg; several aunts, uncles and cousins, including a special cousin, Keith Grant. He will be remembered by his many special uncles. Those who wish may make expressions of sympathy to Josh's family, Water St. Milo, ME. 04463.

MILO - Mary E. Tyler, 95, wife of the late Franz H. Tyler, died Feb. 3, 2003, at a Dover-Foxcroft hospital. She was born June 18, 1907, in Milo, the daughter of Carroll and Annie (York) Ramsdell. She had worked for many years for the American Thread Co. She attended the United Baptist Church of Milo, and was a member of the Golden Rule class. Mrs. Tyler is survived by three nieces, Joan Bishop of Milo, Louise Hussey of Jim Thorpe, Pa., and Ruth Ketchum of Florida. She will also be remembered by two special friends, Rosie Heal and Ramona Hamlin. Friends are invited to call 2-4 Wednesday, Feb. 5, 2003, at the Lary Funeral Home, Milo, where funeral services will be conducted 10 a.m. Thursday, Feb. 6, 2003, with the Rev. Ernest Madden officiating. Spring interment

will be in the family lot in Evergreen Cemetery. Those who wish may make contributions to Three Rivers Ambulance Service, PO Box 432, Milo 04463.

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     I had someone meet my challenge. Betty Heath Lufkin who now lives in East Millinocket has fond memories of her youth and her friends who grew up with her on Elm Street. Betty's dear mother still lives here on Elm Street not far away from my home. Over the years, I've heard many of the stories that Betty relived because my cousin Karen Horne Clark (who lived her childhood here on Elm Street) had regaled me with The Many Adventures of Betty and Karen. I remember praying that my children (who also grew up in this neighborhood) would never learn of the river, or the river bank adventures. My kids could get into enough trouble on their own, without those daredevils giving them any bright ideas.
     I have asked Betty if she would mind if I used her musings in my column. She agreed and here is what she had to say: First of all we had the field where now you have the tennis court, skating rink and softball/ baseball/ soccer fields. Back when I grew up, which was across the street at a diagonal from the field, the town had fireworks every Fourth of July down in the corner of the field where home plate is during a softball game now. We kids loved not having to go anywhere to see the sights. The Willinski family (kids Loretta, Johnny, and Larry) lived where Dwight and Kathy Russell live now, and all of us neighborhood kids would gather on that front lawn and lean on a tall poplar tree that grew there. Cars would line the street and there were crowds of people to see the fireworks, which never disappointed us. It was so neat to just walk to the next yard and see such a sight.
     That field then had home plate down near where Deanne and Donnie Merrill live now. Deanne's family, the Peakes family, donated that field to the town way back when, and they were repaid by broken windows from foul balls. There were big, high bleachers then for people to climb up on and for us small kids to hunt for souvenirs underneath them. People were always dropping things for us to salvage. I could watch the games from our front porch and hear all the cheering.
     The woods behind that field was our playground too. Everyone would go down there and build camps in the woods, usually made out of boughs. The boys had a camp and the girls had a camp, but the boys' camps were better. We would try to hide the camps from each other, if we could. My brother left my father's saw there and it's still there as far as we know, under the leaves. Every summer was camp building and we would head down with saws, hammers, nails, etc. to do what we could. I remember someone donated a coffee can full of rusty nails one year for us and it was like a million dollars. Christie's Brook runs through the woods down there and we used to fish that brook and play around it. Deanne and I found deer tracks where they crossed the brook to head up to her field every night and we used to "borrow" carrots from our gardens and go down to leave them at the deer crossing site. The next day we'd go down and they'd be gone. We spent many a day in that stretch of woods, never thinking of getting lost. My father would tell us that there was nothing in the Maine woods that could hurt us and that was reassuring.
     Behind my house was the Sebec River. We were warned not to dare to go in that water because of the obvious threat of drowning, but also because of the pollution at the time. All the homes bordering the river were pouring their

Page 7

sewerage into the river. We could plainly see it, and there was no way we'd go in that water. Thank goodness it has since cleared up! Even though we never went into that water, we played on the riverbank a lot. Right behind my house, across the field, was a bank that was very steep. In the warm weather we'd slide down the bank on the pine needles, going right along pretty fast. Then in the winter the snow and wind combined to make thick drifts at the top that we called "cliffs." We would sit on them and let them take us to the bottom like riding on a cloud. There was only a chance for two of us to do it though since it was like a mini-avalanche. Once it was gone, it was gone. That riverbank provided a great place to hide too when we thought it was time to be called home. In one place there was a small cave dug into the bank and Karen H. Clark and I remember hiding in it while my mother was calling and calling for us. We did it just for fun and to be secretive, but we knew we couldn't stay there long for fear of trouble with Mom!
     Also, we had a neighborhood club called The Mystery Boys Club. It was a misnomer because it was made up of mostly girls. We didn't really do much but hang out, but I do remember that initiation was to run down across that field and down over the bank to a tree where we had to tie a bandana as proof we dared to do that. This happened after dark of course, when things were spooky down there when we were alone. My brother or his buddy Bobby Richards probably thought that up, hoping we girls wouldn't dare do it, and then we'd be out of the club and out of their hair, but we did it.
     Down the street from that field and across the street from Deanne's house, was a hill where we went sliding in the winter. It was Brown's hill, and the sleds would zoom right along, making their dogs bark at us like crazy. We also went sliding where the elementary school is now. Another place we went sliding was up on Charles Street, behind what was then "Tuck's house." They had a big hill in back and we'd use cardboard to go down that hill.
     There was a small swamp where Rublee's business later filled in the water hole. We used to skate there in the winter on the ice. Another place we went was on the Lakeview Road, on the left not far after you enter the road. My father called it the "logan hole" and he'd take us there and build a bonfire to keep us warm. Later the town put a school bus on the Hovey Road to give us shelter and made a skating rink there. It wasn't as much fun as that logan hole though.
     In the summer we picked blueberries where the elementary school is now and weren't we upset when they built that school! We used to pick berries and sell them to the neighbors for 25 cents a quart, unless they were cleaned, and then they were 35 cents a quart. When the school was built, we lost our income and our berries.
     Hovey's Beach was our favorite swimming hole after the one at the end of Clinton Street ( called "the old swimming hole" to keep it apart from the "new swimming hole" where the marina is now). It would cost 25 cents a car for us to go there but it was a nice chance to swim. We'd drive down to the end of the Hovey Road and then through a pasture full of cows to the beach. Many of us learned to swim there, and I can still remember the first time I swam across the river. A big day! The beach was washed away one spring and that was the end of that.
     At Stanchfield's house ( the kids were Betty, Paulette and Donnie) we could count on a good time as well. They had a goat at one time and I remember trying goat's milk. We'd play softball there and "Fifty Scatter," which was a game like hide and seek, but with a twist. The person who was "it" would count and everyone would hide. If the person looking went too
far from the "goal" then someone might go running in and touch the goal and yell, "Fifty Scatter!!" at the top of his/ her lungs. Then the game would begin again.
     Larry Dow, next door to me, had a huge electric train in his attic. It was such fun playing with that train. It would puff smoke as it went and we could take turns running that train. I have never since seen such a nice set up as he had in that room. I often wonder what happened to it and I hope he still has it.
     Other neighborhood "kids" were George and Marlene Strout, Nancy Daggett ( in our later years), Judy Richards, Terry Bailey, the Horne kids ( Tommy, Linda, and Karen), Teddy Hood, and summer visitors that came and went. Some were too old to play much with me, but we saw them nevertheless and knew they were part of our "in crowd." In junior high and high school, Judy Clark Varney joined in our mischief and helped us come up with things to do.
     Judy's mother, Ruth Clark, let us make homemade root beer, which we managed to spill all over her kitchen floor. What a sticky mess that was! We made it in a big tub on her floor and borrowed a capper from Marjorie Brockway, our 3rd grade teacher who lived on Spring Street. Ruth was a good sport to let us do that in her kitchen. We made memories as well as root beer.
     Betty shared this wonderful sounding pie recipe of her mothers.
Mom's Graham Cracker Pie
18 square graham crackers
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup margarine
     Roll crackers into fine crumbs, reserving 1/8 cup for later. Melt butter into pie pan. Mix sugar and cinnamon and add to the crumbs. Mix well. Press into the butter in the pan firmly and shape. Add cooled filling.
1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons butter or oleo
1 tsp vanilla
3 egg yolks, slightly beaten ( save whites)
     I use Wondra instead of the flour. Either one will work. Mix flour, sugar, and salt. Bring milk to scalding. Add dry ingredients gradually. Cook over hot water for 15 minutes, stirring constantly. Add butter, egg yolks, and vanilla. Cook a minute more. Put into pie pan lined with the crust.
     Beat 3 egg whites. Add 3 tablespoons. of sugar gradually. Put on top of filling. Add the reserved crumbs and brown peaks at 325 for 12 minutes or so. Cool before eating.
     This is a delicious pie and it's easy for kids to help. Kids love to roll the crumbs out and later lap the beaters!

John and Eileen Willinski would like to send out a very sincere thank you to everyone for the flowers, cards, telephone calls, and thoughts during the recent illness and loss of Mrs. Willinski’s mother, Mrs. Mabel McCleary.

FEBRUARY 10 – 14
Monday-Super sandwich, hash brown, broccoli/cheese, fruit, and milk every day.
Tuesday-Crispy chicken, scallop potato, carrots, and Jell-O/topping.
Wednesday-Vegetable noodle soup, steak-um/cheese sand.and apple.
Thursday-Macaroni/cheese, baked ham, salad, dinner roll, and assorted desserts.
Friday-Steamed hot dog/bun, potato, assorted veg., and Valentine cake.

Page 8

By Nancy Grant
BROWNVILLE-1951-SERVES ON LOCAL JURY AFTER WALK OF 16 MILES – Hilmor Larson Gives Example Of Patriotism
     One of the most patriotic-minded citizens ever to serve on the grand jury of the United States District Court for the northern division was Hilmor Larson of Brownville, who performed his duty as a juror at this November term of court.
     Larson was working at a woods camp north of Patten when it became his lot to serve. The fact that he was working in the woods did not deter him. He knew it was his public duty to take his turn on the jury.
     So he started for Bangor. But this was not the simple matter of a few miles in a car. First, he had to walk 16 miles to the farm of John Shorette, which was the nearest point on any road accessible by car. From the Shorette farm he was driven by car to Sherman, where he boarded the train for Bangor. This distance was 15 miles.
     Arriving in Bangor, Larson participated in one of the shortest terms of grand jury that has ever been recorded in this court. Then, having done his duty, he faced the return trip during which he will again have to walk 16 miles.
     There was an example of true Americanism.

Reprinted from the August 7, 1980 edition of the Milo Town Crier.

Continued from February 4, 2003…
     Inasmuch as I had other relatives in Milo I used to receive postal card views from them, which are treasured, and one of which accompanying this article, is of particular interest at this time. Besides physical matters shown, it may bring back to older residents memories of other features of long ago such as Milo’s excellent railroad service and trips to Bangor.
     Taking up from left to right what is shown in the view the first are buildings used from time immemorial for a blacksmith shop and probably carriage repair. I lived in the Milo area from 1911 to 1917 and when I left, the blacksmith shop was being operated by a member of the Doble family.
     The next building, which is shown under construction, was the Gould House, a hotel operated by my uncle Fred H. Gould until it burned in 1908. Inasmuch as there was a long established hotel on The Island, the Milo

House, which was probably ample for transient business, I suspect that the Gould House was more of a boarding house warranted by the new workers brought into town for the nearby spool mill. After the hotel was completed, a livery stable was constructed between it and the blacksmith shop. Evidently livery business was thriving as there was already one or more livery stables in town.
     It will be noted that no smoke is coming from the spool mill’s chimney, which may indicate that the picture was taken when the mill was being completed and that the hotel is evidence that a boom was expected.
     To the right of the windmill and in front of the spool mill there is shown a mound. It was one of Milo’s souvenirs of the prehistoric Ice Age. Originally there had been a mound across present Main Street in the vicinity of the railroad crossing. My father told me it was called “Mosquito Mount.” By the time I remember, the sand and gravel ahd been removed, leaving several tall granite boulders which had composed the center of the glacial deposit. The boulders served a useful purpose in the first decade. My wife, the former Jennie E. Morrill, vividly recalls how the village children used to use the boulders as viewpoints in the chill morning hours when they watched circuses unload across the street.
     In the gap between the blacksmith shop and the hotel under construction there may be seen in the distance the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad station. As mentioned above, it may bring back memories of the trains of long ago. Part of the service was the “KI,” a train made up of B & A locomotive No. 3, a baggage car and coach. It made connection at Milo Junction (now Derby) with the through trains between Bangor and Greenville and served also Brownville, Brownville Junction and Katahdin Iron Works. Although the foundry of the once important industry at the latter place had long ceased operation, the hotel remained, and there was enough business to warrant a train once a day. Besides the K.I., through trains between Bangor and Aroostook County passed through and stopped at Milo.

     From the weather book kept by my grandmother Mrs. Mabel McCleary when she lived in Brownville Jct., Maine.
Feb. 11-Nice day – 38° at 7:18 am and 34° at 10 pm.
Feb. 12-Nice day – 30° at 7:30 am and 20° at 9 pm.
Feb. 13-Snow, rain, hail –18° at 7:45 am and 30° at 9 pm.
Feb. 14-Fair – 30° at 7:15 am and 32° at 9 pm.
Feb. 15-Fair – 16° at 7:30 am and 16° at 10 pm.
Feb. 16-Snow PM – 4° below at 7 am and 26° at 9 pm.
Feb. 17-Cold & windy – 24° at 7:30 am and 2° at 9 pm.

What Can You Do With Your Used Prom Gowns?
Submitted by Victoria Eastman
     A prom dress that no longer fits could be in the back of your closet waiting for the next formal occasion. What a golden opportunity for you to buy a brand new one for yourself and help someone else in the process!
     Teens in Millinocket are collecting prom dresses for their various upcoming functions. Difficult times have come upon
Page 9

families in that area and other places. Donations of prom dresses will help relieve some of the worry.
     For more information please call KIDSPEACE at 1-800-221-7965 or 827-4150. Donations also may be made at CHCS, beside the Ames Plaza in Dover-Foxcroft.
     Victoria Eastman will gladly deliver the dresses for you if you are unable to. She can be contacted at 943-2400.

     As I write this, Elvis the rooster is crowing his fool head off. I think he thinks spring is almost here, but he’ll suppose differently when it’s 15-below 0 Monday night. Just when I think the weather is going to stay a balmy 20-degrees, we slip back into the deep-freeze. Maine, such a kooky weather state!
     The good news is…Friday my Guinea eggs arrived, 14 of them! (Actually 15 came, but I broke one). The bad news is I’m scared I’m going to mess up incubating them. Depending on which set of instructions I read, the temperature in the incubator need to be from 99.5 to 102 degrees. The eggs also need to be turned 3-5 times a day. The catch to that is, every time I turn them, the temperature drops a few degrees. I was panicking, then I talked to some of my cyber-friends on the Guinea Fowl Message Board, and they told me everything would be fine. And Katie pointed out to me that hens hatch chickens and that she thought I was smarter than a hen, soooo. We’ll see.
     Puffy was scheduled to go to school last Tuesday, but classes were cancelled so now her trip will be sometime in March. She and I are going to take a basket full of her green eggs and read Green Eggs and Ham on Dr. Seuss’ birthday. She can’t wait. Kirby and I have been getting her ready for the event by letting her hang out on the dining room table. We speak loudly and clap to get her ready for the noise the kids might make. She has become quite tame. When I call “Puffy, Puffy” she comes and looks at me expectantly. Of course, Puppy Cat thinks I’m yelling “Puppy, Puppy” so he shows up also. Puppy and Puffy have become very close.
     Speaking of Puffy, I’m going to hatch a few of her eggs along with the Guinea eggs. The Guinea eggs take 28 days to hatch, and chicken eggs take 21 days, so I’ve been saving Puffy’s eggs and I’m going to put them in the incubator next Friday. I should have 5 or 6 of them by then. I can’t wait to see if they actually hatch, as it doesn’t appear that the two roosters are very effective “daddys”. Their attempts to be fathers seem clumsy and mis-aimed, but I’m no chicken-mating expert, so time will tell.
     The goats have had to spend a lot of time in their stall these last 2 months. They hate the snow, hate the wind and hate the cold. On nice sunny windless days, I put them in their pen to let the “stink blow off them”. They position themselves where the sun is the warmest and just
stand there, staring at the house. I usually take pity on them and let them in the house to warm up before putting them to bed in their comfy stall, but they haven’t learned many manners in the 7 months we’ve had them. They try to eat any piece of paper then can get their schnauzels on and then run like heck when you try to take it from them. They particularly enjoy munching on photos and books, and obviously these are no-nos. But they are so cute! Their little faces are perfect, and when they look me in the face my heart just melts and I have to smile.
     I’ve ordered six children’s books with themes having to do with chickens or eggs, and I hope to get to the various elementary schools to read and show off my beautiful hens. They don’t call me the funny blonde haired chicken lady for nothing.
     A few weeks ago I printed a picture of Kirby and Radar at the dining room table and forgot to mention that Radar is the dog we rescued. He is doing well, although he has a few social issues that need fixing. He apparently had to fight for every scrap of food in his past life, because he is obsessed with food. He is very possessive of bones or treats, so we have to make sure to supervise all four dogs when there is a special treat. He also has to sleep practically on my head and won’t budge. I think he must have had to sleep outdoors in all kinds of weather and he is trying to assure himself of a warm, dry spot, but sometimes I have to give him a shove, especially when he is literally sleeping on my head. We all have our limits!



     The Three Rivers Kiwanis Club meets at Angie’s Restaurant each Wednesday morning at 6:30 to eat breakfast, enjoy fellowship, hear speakers on various interesting topics, and to share ideas. All are welcome to visit with us. If you would like to join our organization, please contact Janet Richards or any other Kiwanian for an application. We are involved in many worthwhile local projects and would be very pleased to have you participate in them.

     President Edwin Treworgy welcomed twenty members today along with guests Andrew Walker and Brett Gerrish representing the Key Club and an always-welcome guest, John Willinski. Hmmm, what did go on at the table with John, Eben DeWitt, Paul Grindle, and Herb Dunham?
     Eben led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb led us in a prayer to always remember the seven brave astronauts and to pray for the families who recently suffered the loss of loved ones.

Page 10

Eben led the Pledge of Allegiance and Herb led us in a prayer to always remember the seven brave astronauts and to pray for the families who recently suffered the loss of loved ones.
     “If at first you don’t succeed, try reading the directions” was the inspirational message read by David Walker. A Captain was impressed with the speed in which his destroyer was readied for a sea voyage but had to call from shore, to remind his crew to make sure he was on board before setting out to sea. The moral is, details are important, but make sure you don’t forget the big guy! When you read the Bible, don’t forget about whom it was written!
     Sixteen happy and sad dollars were donated today for the Administration Fund for neighborly kindness, tragedies, special guests, and active duty.
     Trish Hayes filled us in on the activities of the ever-busy Key Club. Monday was the last home game snack sales event; thanks to Dennis Dorsey and David Walker for their help. There will be a meeting on February 6 to take nominations for the election of officers.
     If anyone is interested in attending the Midwinter Conference in Boxborough, Mass. on March 7-9, please let Edwin know by next week. You can attend the Celtics-Clippers game for $75.00!
     There will be a Board meeting at Angie’s on February 6:30 am, sharp.
     The Reading is Fundamental meeting will be on February 13 at 2 pm at Angie’s.
     Edwin handed out information about a deal for cheaper long distance minutes.
     On Tuesday, February 11, an interclub including Ed and Ethelyn Treworgy, Fred Trask, and Eben DeWitt will visit the Orono/Old Town Club.
     Terrific Kids Kiwanis friends last week were Bill Sawtell, Val Robertson, and David Walker and this week include Bill, Val, and Kathy Witham.
     Our speaker for February 12 will be Sue Chaffee, talking about the Wellness Program, and Guy Dupres on the 19th , speaking about the Great Northern situation. February 26 will be a business meeting.
     Jeff Gahagan introduced our speaker today, Milo Town Manager Jane Jones. Mrs. Jones told us that the sale of the B & A, now the Montreal, Maine, and Atlantic Railroad, could affect Milo’s tax base. The B & A was forced into bankruptcy over two years ago and wasn’t sold until January 8, 2003 to a consortium of buyers with $52,000,000.00 changing hands. Thirty-five to fifty towns had been assured twice in writing for the full payment of back taxes. Milo is owed approximately $300,00.00. Trustee James Howard, a Boston lawyer, proposing a 35% surcharge, which means the receipt of only 65 cents on the dollar, filed a petition. Forty-eight hours later the attorneys proposed a change in the distribution order. The original order of towns first, creditors (owed $65 million) second, and administration last would be reversed. The Bankruptcy Code 724 has never been invoked in Maine and if favored after a hearing on February 12, could set precedence for towns not receiving full payment of taxes owed by companies going through bankruptcy. If the decision goes against us we have the choice to appeal but it is a very complex matter. The creditors are not too alarmed because they will stay in the number two spot on the distribution list regardless of the order of payment.
     Mrs. Jones informed us that with the $300,000.00 not being paid, the town’s tax rate could be affected with a 6mil hole in the town budget. There could be cuts across the board, paving could be delayed, taxes would go up, the recreation department could be eliminated, the library could be closed, roof repairs put off, and the list could grow. She did assure us that all town bills are up to date except for the $200,000.00 MSAD #41 assessment.
     Please show your concern about Code 724 by calling Senator Paul Davis, Senator Olympia Snow, Senator Susan Collins, and Governor John Baldacci. IT IS TIME TO SET A PRECEDENT!
     Thank you, Jane, for the valuable insight on this disturbing situation.
Page 11

Click Image for Information
Page 12

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance