Three Rivers News, 2003-01-07

     If a relaxing stretch, well-oiled joints, and a chance to let go of your day’s worries and frustrations, sound good, please join me for an evening of yoga.
     This 1-hour session, practiced to soothing sounds, will leave you feeling like you gave your body a workout without the work! You will find yourself totally relaxed and your mind calm by the end of class.
     If you have never experienced this technique or have been interested and didn’t know quite what to expect, come for a FREE evening just to see what so many others crave. Classes are beneficial to all and are non-competitive.
     You’ll find me at the Milo Elementary School on Wednesday’s, 6:00 to 7:00 $5.00 walk-in fee or $30.00 for an 8-week session.
     The new session is starting. Jan. 15th, and will run until Mar. 5th.
     For more information please call Recreation Director, Murrel Harris 943-7326 or Instructor Cindy Herbest 943-2630

The Milo Town Office will be closed for Martin Luther King Day on Monday, January 20, 2003.

     The LaGrange Post office would like to thank the students and staff at the Marion C. Cook Elementary School for participating in our recent drawing contest. The public enjoyed the creative artwork. The pictures had to include the Post Office and a snowman. The patrons of the Post Office voted for their favorites. Congratulations to Josh Somers for submitting the winning poster.
Thanks again and have a safe New Year.
Deanna Sherburne
LaGrange Post Office

Weight Watchers at Work
     MSAD #41 Wellness Team is sponsoring a Weight Watchers at Work Open House on January 28th at 3:00 p.m. at Milo Elementary School. If you are interested in healthier eating in the New Year come and see what Weight Watchers has to offer.
     The program consists of twelve sessions offered weekly at a cost of $139.00 payable at sign up by check (may post date checks in installments of three payments), MC/VISA, or payroll deduction for district employees. All program materials are received the first week.
     Meetings last about one hour with weigh-in, celebrations, discussion and program presentation by the leader.
     If you have questions about the program please contact Sue Chaffee at 943-7346 ext. 208.

     I would like to share this story with all of the 'Friendly' readers. I am so happy to see that there are many “Random acts of Kindness” going around our town!
Aunt Bea Kind

     On New Years Day, at dusk, I attempted to drive out of my very long, up-hill driveway. After several attempts, I backed down and was pondering my next move. The ice was extremely slick and I didn't have the sand to spread on it. Out of nowhere, a large gray flatbed truck backed in and two fellows got out and started shoveling sand and covered my driveway almost half the way down! I didn't know who they were, and I didn't dare attempt my slippery run up to see who they were until they had left the mouth of my driveway and I was assured a straight shot out onto the street. My husband yelled up to them that he was sure I could make it out now, and I yelled that I would pay them when I drove up to where they were. They yelled back " We don't want any money'' and took off.
     I made it out without a problem, and was overwhelmed by their kindness. Whoever it was, they made my New Year a much brighter one, and I'm sure I will see many more “Acts of Kindness” that is the way of the area!

The Three Rivers Senior Citizens will meet at the Milo Town Hall dining room
January 10th., for a potluck dinner at 12 o'clock noon. All area senior
citizens are welcome.

The Brownville Jct. United Methodist Church Thrift Shop will be open Wednesday, January 8th. 10AM to 1PM.

Page 1

   Three River News is published weekly by Three Rivers Kiwanis. It is available Tuesdays at the Milo Farmer’s Union, BJ’s Market, Graves’ Service Station, Robinson’s Fuel Mart, Reuben’s Farmer’s Market, Angie’s, Milo Exxon, Rite Aid, and Milo True Value. The paper can also be viewed online at Donations can be mailed to Valerie Robertson, PO Box 81, Milo, Maine 04463
   Letters to the editor, social news, school news, items of interest, or coming social events may be submitted NO LATER THAN FRIDAY NOON to the following addresses:
Valerie Robertson
PO Box 81
Milo, Maine 04463
Nancy Grant
10 Belmont St.
Milo, Maine 04463
   Please drop suggestions and comments into the donation box or contact one of us. We welcome your ideas. All opinions are those of the editors unless otherwise stated. We will publish no negative or controversial comments. The paper is written, printed, and distributed by unpaid volunteers. Donations are used to cover expenses of printing, paper and materials.

Valerie Robertson | Nancy Grant | Virgil Valente
Tom Witham | Seth Barden | Kirby Robertson

    The news is available by subscription in 30-week increments. For each 30-week subscription we ask for a donation of $25.00 to cover the cost of printing and mailing. If you would like to sign up to get the news delivered, send your name, address and a check for $25.00 to one of the addresses above.
   We will mail your issue each Tuesday morning so you can have a nice fresh paper delivered every week! This makes an especially nice gift for an elderly person or for someone who lives away, but still likes to keep in touch with area happenings





Rec. Dept. News:

  • The Morita School of Dance Class has started! The classes are held Fridays at the Milo Town hall. Pre-school classes are held from 3-4PM, Grades 1 and 2 from 4-5PM, and grades 3-5 from 5-6PM. Enrollments are still being accepted, so contact Murrel at 943-7326 for more info.
  • Polarity Yoga classes are being held Sunday nights at the Milo Town Hall, with instructor, Andrea Beaudoin. Call 943-7326 for details.
  • On Thursday, Jan. 9, 2003, Bill and Karen Goodman will be offering lessons in Tae Kwon Do. The family exercise opportunity will take place at the Milo Town Hall, and is a great chance to get a great workout while having fun and learning!. All folks 5 years and older are invited to participate, and the cost is $25.00 per month for the 1st family member and $15.00 for each additional family member. The classes are held from 4:45PM-6:45PM.
  • Rec. Basketball will resume on Jan. 6th, with games in Brownville.
  • THANK YOU !-The Milo Recreation Department would like to thank the Three Rivers Kiwanis of Milo/Brownville for their donation to help defray the cost of the janitor needed at the Rec. Basketball games.
  • Secret Santa Success Once again the Kiwanis Secret Santa program has been a huge success. Through donations from Churchs, Businesss, Private Individuals, and Organizations, over $2000.00 was used to provide for ninety-one children in the Milo-Brownville area. We would like to thank everyone for their generosity towards this very worthwhile program.
  • A special thank you to Santa's elves, shoppers were, Joe and Chris Beres, Fred and Lois Trask, Ethelyn and Edwin Treworgy, Virgil Valente and Karen Clark. And thanks for the set up of the hall, to Bill Warner and Key Club member Shawn Burke. Also to the individuals and groups who adopted families, thank you and we would be very remiss if the Knight's of Columbus weren't thanked. Thank you to Reny's in Dexter for allowing us a 10 percent discount. This is a large project and Mr. and Mrs. Claus would like to thank everyone who had a part in it.

Murrel Harris and Janet Richards

Page 2

     There was a small group of women at the monthly Ecumenical breakfast at Angies on Thursday Jan. 2 but good fellowship was enjoyed along with our breakfast.
     The regular meeting of the UMW will be held on Thursday, Jan. 9, at the church. All women are welcome.

Brownville Sports Trivia
Choose the best answer.
1. No. 6 man on Railroaders 1958-59 EM championship team: (a) John Owens (b) Jim Owens (c) Alan Lockhart (d) Mike Knox
2. Carroll Conley's major question: "Do you want to (a) run (b) work (c) play (d) pass?"
3. Lefty Strout's brother's name was (a) Bill (b) Don (c) Paul (d) Ed.
4. Lefty's real name was (a) Arthur (b) Dave (c) Charlie (d) Rudolph
5. Ran two Boston marathons (a) Walter Farrar (b) Gary Larson (c) Gary Chase (d) Pete Meulendyke.
6. Only boy to letter in two sports all four years of high school; (a) Jack Brown (b) Wayne Kirby (c) Denny Larson (d) Tom Lockhart.
7. Debbie Coburn was known for (a) basketball (b) softball (c) tennis (d) soccer.
8. Susan Sawtell was a fine (a) pool player (b) tennis player (c) bowler (d) swimmer.
9. (a) Football teams (b) soccer teams (c) cheerleaders (d) cross country teams trained off the Spencer Road.
10. Due to his awkwardness as a freshman, (a) Jack Brown (b) Tom Lockhart (d) Pete Meulendyke (d) Denny Larson might not have played at a larger school.
Answers: 1-c 2-c 3-b 4-a 5-b 6-d 7-d 8-c 9-a 10-d

Brownville History Contest
     Brownville, Jan. 3-The 19th annual Brownville History Contest is underway. Contest originator Bill Sawtell will be speaking to pupils in grades three to five.
     This year's theme is "Memorable Brownville Citizens."
     The projects will be culminating in April with Brownville History Day and awards made proceeding a lunch with all welcome.

     We hope you all had a wonderful holiday season and that you have a most happy and healthy 2003. We have had some backordered books come in already. We have received:
Elizabeth Lowell - THIS TIME LOVE
Jayne Ann Krentz - LIGHT IN SHADOWS
     We now have added some new tax forms to our 1040, 1040A and 1040EZ, plus schedules A and B and EIC. We have added:
R Elderly and Disabled forms for 1040
3 Elderly and Disabled forms for 1040A
SE Self Employment
D Capital Gains and Losses and 4684 Casualties and Losses
     We also have the instructions for all these forms. The staff will be glad to help you find any form that we have that you cannot locate. Please note, these are all FEDERAL FORMS. We do not have any state forms yet. I’m sure those will be along soon.

Library Winter Hours
Mon.- Weds.- Fri. 2:00-8:00
Saturday 2:00-4:00

Traditions of a Milo-ite
     Happy New Year!!! Last night was the night. We had a wonderful evening celebrating with our friends the Hamlin's and the Rhoda's. It was supposed to be a quiet evening....but ended up being uproarious as we enjoyed the Scotch Auction that we usually do before Christmas and didn't get to this year....and then we watched a new DVD that the Hamlin's got for Christmas. We all laughed so hard that we ached afterwards.
     But let me back up......way back to the other day when I got this interesting e-mail from my cousin Gail Fanjoy in Millinocket. She's been sick with a terrible throat infection, but was getting back on her feet, and she was explaining to my cousin Joan and I about her centerpiece for her festive New Year's Eve dinner party that she and her husband Bob always put on for friends. You have to understand that Joan and Gail and I have been staying in touch through long and involved e-mails for about 3 years now...maybe longer.
     Okay - on to New Year's Eve. Boy, am I'm clever. Yes, I AM the clever cousin of the Clan and I've done something very clever. You all know I'm not crafty. As a matter of fact, if there were such a thing as a disability for craftiness, I'd be the poster child for it. But here's what I did. I hatched this up one sleepless night and actually made it last night. You know I've been a student of centerpieces since being thrown into the wedding planner mode. (Gail's daughter Lindsay is going to be married on the Colby College campus this coming June) I honestly don't know if I saw this or was inspired by something like it or if I dreamed it up myself. But I'm always on the lookout for unique centerpieces, especially for New Year's Eve. And I wanted to give the guests a momento of past parties. I married the two ideas into a centerpiece that is absolutely magazine quality gorgeous. Here's what I did...
     I bought little picture frames (3 x 5 mostly) and cut out funny pictures of past New Year's Eves of each couple for each of the frames. I ended up with 7 frames. I put each filled frame in a box and wrapped them in beautiful gold embossed paper. Two of the frames I wrapped in apple red paper with gold stars. Then I wrapped wide gold ribbon around them and made long streamers. I arranged the 7 frames on a tiered tray (it goes with my Xmas dishes). There are four frames on the bottom tier, two frames leaning against one another on the top tier, and the 7th frame goes across the top of the two leaning frames like a bridge. I tied gold wired ribbon to that one that cascades down the sides of the tray onto the table. Actually all of the ribbons cascade but the top package was the only one I used wired ribbon for. I also added gold pears to the top tier packages and put gold poinsettia blossoms and burgundy and gold decorations in between the packages on the bottom tier. I set the whole tray on a golden wrapped box to add height. I cannot tell you how beautiful it is and how clever I feel!! I'll take pictures of it. It was really a simple, elegant, and relatively inexpensive centerpiece. It is set off with crystal candlestick holders and white candles. Now here's the great part. I always have to clear the centerpiece from the table before the entree is served because there isn't room for all the food and the centerpiece too. This year, the centerpiece will be dismantled by everyone opening their gift in between the

Page 3

salad course and the main course. Is that just too clever or what???!!!
     I thought this was truly a clever idea for a New Year's Eve celebration table centerpiece. Gail and Bob were serving Annie Bomba's bruchetta , crab rangoon with duck sauce, cheese and crackers, for appetizers to go along with the shrimp cocktail and stuffed mushrooms. Bob made his famous cream of fiddlehead soup. The salad was one they had first enjoyed at a wine tasting dinner at River Driver's Restaurant in Millinocket. It was made with mixed baby greens, apricots, cherries, pecans, and served with vinaigrette dressing. The main course was Prime Rib, honey chive carrots, twice-baked potatoes, burgundy gravy, and yeast rolls.
     I read these plans to our hostess, and not to be outdone, Cheryl did some wonderful New Year's Eve things. When we arrived, she had a little antique table set up in their entryway room with bottles of champagne and champagne glasses on it. The glasses were outfitted with little wine charms that Cheryl had created herself. For gifts she had little gold gauzy bags for the ladies with our own set of handmade wineglass charms in them. They were exquisite. Each couple was presented, too, with a bottle of champagne that she had dressed in a little felt tuxedo. How clever and exciting was that, folks??!!
     Our appetizers were baked brie, cream cheese with jalepeno jelly, cheddar cheese ball, crackers, and a divided platter with beef stick, cheese chunks, and green garlic stuffed olives. Salad was a classic tossed with three choices of gourmet dressings. The potatoes were baked, the vegetable was my carrot casserole and the meat was a divine platter of porterhouse steaks that had been grilled specifically to our individual tastes. Dessert and coffee followed and I must say, Louise made the most incredible graham cracker pie that I have ever tasted.
     The evening continued by watching a very bawdy Robin Williams concert that he had performed live on Broadway. I don't recommend it for the faint of heart, but over the years we've spent lots and lots of time together laughing uproariously at way worse than that. We ladies ended the evening by dunking our hands in Cheryl's new Remington waxing machine. The sensation is unbelievable. I've absolutely got to have one. A good time was had by all and hopefully within a day or two I'll hear from the cousins on how their spectacular evenings went, as well.
     At this time of year I am always reminded of the homemade ice cream that my Dad used to make when we were kids. I found an old cookbook of my grandmother's that was published in 1917...the year my Dad was born... and these directions were included.

Directions for Freezing
     A gallon freezer is the most satisfactory for family use. The hole for draining should never be plugged. Use rock salt and ice (which Dad used to procure from the Sebec River just down the street from our house) in proportions three measures of ice to one of salt. Adjust the can in the freezer, put in the dasher and pour in the mixture to be frozen, the can should not be more than three-quarters full, to allow for expansion. Cover and adjust the top; turn the crank to be sure that the can fits in the socket. Fill the space between can and pail with alternate layers of ice and salt. The ice should come a little higher than the mixture in the can. Turn crank slowly at first and more rapidly, replenishing ice as needed. As soon as frozen, draw off the water, open the can, remove the dasher; with a wooden spoon pack the cream into a smooth mould, cover closely, corking the hole in the cover, repack with fresh

salt and ice; place on top old blanket, piece of carpet or newspaper. At serving time lift out the mould, hold for a few minutes under the cold water faucet, wipe dry and turn quickly on an ice-cold platter. Dad always cranked his ice cream out in the garage. He also always made vanilla ice cream. Our neighbor, Lee London, always made a flavor other than vanilla. Very often they would be making ice cream on the same Sunday afternoon and Lee would bring half of his flavored variety over to us and Dad would send half of his vanilla over to the London's. This was a right neighborly thing to do, don't ya think?
     Nowadays you would scoop the ice cream out of the freezer and into a food storage container and put it in your freezer....but back in 1917 it was a bit more complicated, and keeping it cold was a bit more challenging.

Vanilla Ice Cream
1 pint milk
2 eggs
1 pint cream
1 teaspoon flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla
     Scald the milk; mix sugar, flour and salt, stir into it; cook twenty minutes stirring constantly. Pour boiling hot on the beaten eggs, strain, add the cream and flavoring and freeze according to directions above.

Science Corner
     Neptune is the 8th planet from the sun. It was named after the Greek god of the sea. It is the fourth largest. Neptune and Pluto are the only two planets that can not be seen by the naked eye. It is seventy-two times the size of the Earth and weighs seventeen times as much. Its diameter is 30,775 miles and it has a surface temperature of –320 F.
     Neptune is 2,793,100,000 miles from the sun and reflects 62% of the light it gets from the sun. It appears blue because of the methane in its atmosphere. Neptune actually radiates twice as much energy as it gets from the sun indicating it has a hot core.
     Its rotation or length of day is 16 hours and it takes 164.79 years to go around the sun. In order to make it around the sun in this length of time it travels at 3.4 miles per second through space. This really isn’t fast since the Earth travels at 18.5 miles a second. This is because it is closer to the sun. If you have a washer on a string it has to move faster in a circle as the circle gets smaller and likewise a planet has to move faster the closer it is to the sun.
     Neptune was discovered in 1846. What is interesting about its discovery is that it was predicted mathematically first. When the orbit of Uranus was studied, astronomers found that it varied from what it should be. It was decided that something had to be pulling it and the search was started. French astronomer Jean Leverrier mathematically predicted its location in 1846 and on Sept. 23rd it was discovered by a German astronomer Johann Galle very near where Leverrier predicted it to be. It turns out that it was luck as the math was wrong and a few years earlier or later Neptune would have been far from what the math proposed.
     When Neptune was discovered one of its moons was two. There are 8 known moons and the one discovered in 1846 is called Triton. It is about the same size as our moon. The second moon, Nereid, was discovered in 1949 and is only 200 miles in diameter. The other six moons, Naiad, Thalassa, Despina, Galatea, Larissa and Proteus were discovered by the only space probe to pass by Neptune, Voyager 2 in August 1989.
     Voyager 2 found that the surface is not featureless but has a number of white and dark blue spots. The great dark spot similar to Jupiter’s great red spot rotates the planet quickly because the winds on the surface are more than 1200 miles per hour. When

Page 4

viewed by the Hubble Space Telescope in 1994 the great blue spot had disappeared. A few months later a new one was discovered.
     Neptune has three rings. These are quite faint but distinguishable. The Adams ring is twisted similar to wrapping two straws around one another. The Leverrier and Galle rings are much fainter.
     Since its discovery Neptune hasn’t made a complete orbit of the sun. For 20 years out of 248 it is farther from the sun than Pluto. This is because Pluto’s orbit is very irregular and crosses inside Neptune’s. This has led some astronomers to conclude that it was once a moon of Neptune’s that somehow escaped from its gravitational pull. A possible explanation is that it was pulled away by a large comet.
     At this time it is impossible to see Neptune because it is in the constellation Capricorn and is so close to the sun that is above the horizon when the sun is.

Editors Note: The following story was first printed in Downeast Magazine and has been reprinted in local publications. Parker’s mother, Nellie Willinski, submitted it.

     Determined to go back to the land, I wouldn’t have made it without a self-appointed guardian.
     Like most central Maine homesteaders in the early 1970s, my out-of-state naivete was often my worst handicap. No one moves to Maine from away and instinctively knows how to handle bitter winters, mud seasons, blackflies, and the seemingly interminable distance between what you need and where you have to get it. What kept flatland back-to-the-landers going in those days was a combination of their own bright-eyed determination and the patient wisdom of native Mainers, whose neighborly goodness often saved many a fledgling homesteader from disaster. No matter what the situation, the locals seemed ready and willing, if not downright pleased, to help, doing it in such a way that we were never made to feel as foolish, ignorant, or careless as we too often were.
     During my twelve years of “beating the system” on the Philpot Ridge Road in Orneville, not far from Dover-Foxcroft, my guardian angel was Parker Willinski, one of those thin, bedraggled woodsman-cum-handymen who never seem to have a job yet always have gas money and a cold beer in hand. Parker was what refined folk might call an outlaw, but for those of us with nothing to our names but dreams and big ideas, he was a knight in flannel armor. Parker drove the roads night and day(poaching, some neighbors said), but I called it patrolling his beat, because no matter where I was when things went wrong, Parker was sure to be the next one to come around the corner. He would never fail to stop and help, taking on the challenge of solving any predicament, no matter what it was or how long it would take to fix.
     I first met Parker on a cold, rainy evening, when, on my way into Milo for bread and milk, my not-so-dependable Jeep bucked and stalled in the middle of Route 16, something the old truck was wont to do at the most inconvenient and inopportune times.
     The next set of headlights to come down the road was Parker’s. I can still recall the way his dump truck listed to one side, headlights and body askew. His trademark red hard-hat sat so far to the right that one ear was crushed beneath the brim, and his gap-toothed grin was both friendly and sympathetic as he rolled down his window to ask, “What’s the trouble?”
     Parker spent the better part of the next two hours fiddling with my truck as I stood forlornly beside him in the rain. He finally towed the reluctant heap to the downtown gas station and paid the five-dollar rental fee on an unused bay so we could dry the Jeep’s obstinate engine.

     My problem turned out to be a loose gas-line fitting. I’d spent a long and aggravating summer in my frustrated clueless efforts to repair the problem, yet Parker somehow figured it all out between sips of beer and bouts of joking with the station mechanic.
     Parker seemed to sense that the five dollars I offered him in payment was all I had(and that giving it to him would mean no milk and bread at the homestead), so he simply said, “She’ll start now,” jumped into his truck and drove off. At that time, I didn’t know who he was, where he’d come from, or when I’d ever see him again, but every time I ran into trouble thereafter, which was often, he’d be there, and he’d stick around until the problem was solved.
     I was constantly amazed at Parker’s ability to bail me out of my most vexing problems. One spring, my dooryard was calf deep in mud, and Parker happened to drive past as I struggled with the stones, log, and planks in a futile effort to create a workable parking area. An hour later, Parker showed up with a truckload of heavy gravel, dumped it, and drove off, never uttering a word to me in the process.
     One fall, Parker somehow heard that I was out of work at Thanksgiving. That holiday Monday, he pulled into the yard with several dressed hogs in back of his dump truck. “Take your pick,” was all he said. As I staggered back to the house with the gift, Parker drove away, leaving behind the handful of crumpled dollar bills I had given him.
     A couple of times, I stopped at Parker’s house with money, a few beers, a bowl of fiddleheads, or a homemade pie, but he was never there. It struck me that I could never find Parker when I wanted him, but he’d always turn up when I needed him. Most of us who lived along Philpot Ridge knew Parker that way, and we all felt the same about our peculiar, rough-edged Samaritan.
     Things fell apart for Parker in the end. In a tragic, troubled weekend, he took his own life as he stood in front of his fanciful “Poker Palace,” a converted stable off Route 11. I don’t think it was coincidence that after this shocking event, one by one, the last of the “hippies” quit trying to beat the system, found jobs, and moved on, their abandoned homesteads slowly reverting to the stands of alders and raspberries from which they’d come. It seemed to mark the end of an era.
     Still, some of what Parker was must have rubbed off on us, because I still find it difficult to bypass stranded strangers along the road, and when I have a chance to help, I do it, as much in tribute to the kindness of Parker Willinski as because it’s the right thing to do.
     Parker’s been gone a long time now, but once in a while we homesteaders get together and his name will come up. You can feel the fondness welling as stories of the skinny, raggedy little man in the cockeyed, battered hard-hat begin to flow. The odd thing is that every story ends the same way: “What I wouldn’t’ give to see Parker pull up in the lopsided old dump truck one more time--just so I could say thanks.”

     The following is a report Heidi did for a Maine History class last spring. She chose to do it about the Anderson family, the same one that has a road named after them in Orneville. It is coincidence that she is also Parker’s daughter.
     Driving into the yard of the Anderson Farm conjures up distant memories of days gone by. The cedar shake home sits empty, now devoid of life except the mice who have taken up permanent residents. The firewood lies stacked on the cedar pole porch stored for those who might venture forth once more to visit this ancestral home.

Page 5

     The purpose of my visit was to explore the attic for clues of what life was like for the Russian immigrant families who sought a new life here in America in 1905. A search of the attic led to the discovery of several letters, two Maine Teachers’ Journals (MTA), Bangor Daily News Papers, high school homework assignments, Sears catalogues and a variety of other bits and pieces of history. The letters found were diverse in nature ranging from correspondence from the National Education Association to love letters. Oral histories were also obtained from the descendents of Martin and Jacob Anderson through telephone calls to Connecticut and New York.
     As I read the letters, dated 1928 to 1933, and MTA journals I became more interested in what it was like to teach during the period of time that the documents covered. I began to find small clues throughout the letters that told about how the children of the immigrants managed to further their education when their parents barely earned enough to live day to day on the farm. The letters of 1930 to 1933 and the 1931 MTA journal began to talk about the financial situation of the individuals and communities, as the depression era wore on. Lida Anderson grew up in Maine and went on to teach in Maine with the encouragement and direction of the Maine Teachers Association that represented strong Christian morals. Despite the hardships of being raised on a small rural farm in the early 19th century and the Stock Market Crash of 1929 Lida continued to teach throughout the early years of the depression, while helping to support her siblings in furthering their education.
     Martin and Jacob Anderson with their wives, Minna and Karoline respectively, moved to Maine when they purchased the farm together in 1911. They arrived at Ellis Island from Libau, Russia in 1905 on the Caronia. Prior to moving to Maine they lived in Cambridge, Massachusetts where Martin was a surgical instrument maker, also called a machinist. Frank related the history of his grandfather Martin escaping from Russia as an army deserter under an assumed name during a time that Russia was ending one war and preparing to fight another war. His brother Jacob, his wife Minna and her sister Karoline, who later married Jacob, traveled together.
     The two families lived on the farm together until 1923 when Jacob deeded his share of the farm to Martin and moved to Milo to work at the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad. Martin and Minna remained on the farm raising their five children Lida, Vera, Rose, Mary and Fred. Lida, Vera and Rose went on to be teachers, Lida being the first in 1928 to teach.
     Frank Anderson, the grandson of Martin, provided several documents and his father’s WWII journal, transcribed by his mother Ruth. As a secondary resource her introduction to the journal states “Fortunately there was a one room school house near the end of the road to the farmhouse. It is to the credit of this country school that all nine children went on to education beyond high school-two M.D.s, one R.N. and six teachers.” She also noted in the introduction that when the families arrived at the farm they had bought, sight unseen, the wives wept in disappointment. It was a small farmhouse at the end of a dirt road with only forty of the two hundred acres cleared and the fields were too rocky to plant. It was the oral histories that brought these documents to life. There was a sense of pride in the accomplishments of the children who lived on this farm so long ago. There was also a genuine appreciation of the effort and determination that led these children to further their education, despite the hardships the families faced on a small farm in rural Maine.
     The interviews of Karl Anderson, born in 1913 to Jacob and Karoline and of Frank Anderson were both primary sources of information that told of how the family made a living in Maine after arriving in 1911. Comparing the information from the interviews supported the fact that Martin and Jacob earned a living by cutting wood to sell in the surrounding communities and raising food on the farm for the family. Martin would also go to Boston in the winter to work as a blacksmith and the girls were farmed out to be nannies leaving the only son Fred to manage the farm while he attended

school. Jacob left the farm with his family in 1923 to take a job with the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad in the car shop as income from the farm did not go far in providing for four adults and nine children. Karl reported that at the time he was attending college in the 1930’s his father was earning $100.00 dollars a week with piecework in the car shop. He also noted that Martin was not one that liked to work for others so he stayed on the farm selling wood to burn, logs for the lumber mills and raised food for his own family. He only worked in Boston during the winters. This information is consistent with the information provided throughout our text on small sustenance farms in the early 1900’s.7
     It is uncertain how Lida acquired the money needed to pay for her education at the Aroostook State Normal School where she graduated in 1928. We know from the oral interviews that the girls worked as nannies for extra money and in one letter Lida tells of giving her parents $100.00 to pay the taxes in repayment of money they gave her to attend school. There were several letters from Lida’s sisters after Lida began teaching requesting money to help them as they went to school and tried to find work. Fred also wrote to his sister asking for the money to help pay his tuition at the University of Maine in the early 1930’s. He would request about $250.00 dollars per semester. Subsequent letters verified that the money was received. One of the girls even mentioned sending money to the other in order for her to buy shoes for Fred while he was in college. He went on to become a Medical Doctor and served in WWII from July 1942 to June 1945. The collection of letters began to show a pattern of how the Martin’s children went on to school, worked and financially supported each other as they each left high school and went on to further their education.
     Letters stating what Vera, also a teacher, received for pay in 1928 was $900.00 and the National Education Associations (NEA) document stated the average pay in 1931 as $1440.00 gives an average of what the wages were at the time that Fred was asking Lida to send $250.00 a semester. The NEA had also offered to allow for late payment of dues, $2.00 for men and $1.00 for women, so that membership could be maintained until better times arrived. It is amazing that she was able to do this on her pay but the letters often mentioned savings and the need for the sisters to work in the summer when school was out as chambermaids in order to help Fred through school. This type of work ethic was prevalent in our text and the adaptability of the workforce to find employment in various jobs as the need arose… Continued next week.

A Historical Review - Part 2
Maine Guiding Ain't What it Used to Be
Piscataquis Observer, Edna Bradeen, 08/08/79
(Submitted by C.K.Ellison, 2002)
     Qualifications vary: When the ten small Fish and Game Department started issuing licenses and registering guides there were some qualifications required, but not too many. Just as long as some camp operator or a previously registered guide would sign the application. Some game wardens would recommend a man as a guide, but some of the old guides in the area where there was competition of jobs would work out to prove he could handle a canoe under all conditions.
     The areas where there was employment as a guide for any length of time were mainly the Rangley Lakes area, Moosehead Lake, from Greenville north, the St. Croix waters in Washington County and the northern part of Aroostook, including the Aroostook River, above Ashland, the upper St. John and the Allagash.
     What was required of a guide in his daily work depended on where he was working. He was supposed to be able to take people who where not used to boats and canoes on the local water and see that they got back safely and had a good vacation. Being better-versed in fishing and hunting made a guide a more popular choice. Looking back on the 15 or so summers that I guided in the Moosehead area and on rivers; what was it worth" The pay was a little better than common labor but it was unsteady. You got boarded and the food at the camps was very good. The real thing as far as I am concerned was the association with the people and the life long friendships that developed. I guided one doctor over a 25-year period.
     One of my first clients was to move to Maine to retire and now lives near by and we still visit back and forth. Just sitting for endless hours in a boat or canoe with a couple of people of the same profession listening is the greatest course in human psychology one

Page 6

ever could get. Some professionals talk shop and some do not. Those who do, especially when a little scotch or bourbon is mixed with it, comes up with disclosures on professional ethics.
     The average sportsman who came to Maine to fish, hunt, camp out or just rest in a comfortable cabin and employing a guide back then, was a far different individual than comes to our state today. He was usually a business or professional man, more or less semi-retired. They did not, on the whole, bring their wives or families. Quite frequently two associates would come together, sometimes four in a group.
     Those who came singly would often come to the same area year after year and would employ the same guide for many years. It was always rumored that some of these old sports, after they got past coming for vacations and their guide was also getting along, would see that he got what would amount to a pension. It is seem that quite a few old guides did not appear to be hard up even when they did not work regularly. (Continued next week)

By Nancy Grant
     This is the fourth and last in a series of articles about spool making in Maine submitted by Albert ‘Zeb’ Harmon.
     Since those early days the methods of lumbering have progressed from the time of the double bit axe and crosscut saw when horses were used exclusively to transport wood to the mills, through the period of the steam lag bed log haulers to the present when wood is harvested with chain saws, skidders, trucks, and leaders. Basically the same processes are involved in the making of thread spools today as they were seventy-five years ago, but today’s highly efficient automatic machines and improved methods of material handling are a far cry from the old days when mulch of the work involved was done by hand.
     The American Thread’s Spool Mill at Milo, which is the sole source of the company’s wood spools, is one of the oldest industries in Milo and has for seventy years been an important part of the economy of the town furnishing employment at times to well over 100 persons. Presently on the payroll are approximately fifty-five full time employees.
     All of the spools made at Milo are shipped to the Sevier Finishing Plant in Marion, North Carolina for winding. In addition to the Plants at Milo and Marion, the company also has mills in Marble and Rosman, North Carolina; Clover, South Carolina; Carollton, Georgia; and Willimantic, Connecticut.

Editor’s note: Not all the spools were shipped to North Carolina. My grandfather John Willinski, Sr. worked for the American Thread Company in Lake View and kept a box of spools at his camp on Big Boyd Lake that he used to start fires in the wood stove. The camp was eventually passed down to my cousin Sheila Ellis who shared some of the spools with me. Even knowing that the American Thread manufactured them, I will always think of them as ‘Grampie’s spools’.

By Nancy Grant
     From the weather book kept by Mrs. Mabel McCleary, Brownville Jct.
January – 1966
Jan. 7- Cloudy
Jan. 8 – Snow – 6 inches
Jan. 9 – Cold & windy – 0 degrees am and 5 below at 9 pm.
Jan. 10 – Cloudy – 0 in the am and 10 above at 7 pm.
Jan. 11 – Snow – 20 above in the am and 0 at 10 pm.
Jan. 12 – Clear, cold, & windy – 6 below in the am.
Jan. 13 – Clear, cold, & windy – 20 above in the am.

JANUARY 6 – 10
Bacon-cheeseburger, fries, winter mix vegs. pears, and milk every day.
Tuesday-Penquis sausage (sausage/egg/cheese), carrot stix, hash brown, and birthday cake.
Wednesday-Corn chowder, diced chicken sandwich/lettuce, celery, and apple.
Thursday-Spaghetti/meat sauce, tossed salad, dinner roll, and gr. Cracker pudding.
Friday-Cheese pizza, green beans, buttered macaroni, and pineapple.

     The Milo Town Hall Art Center has been equipped with many improvements such as new lighting and sound equipment. It is anticipated that the Center will be utilized more as time goes on. There is only a handful of people handling the sound and light systems at the present time but more are needed. Training is available. If you would be willing to learn the ‘business’ and help organizations with their projects at the Art Center please get in touch with Murrel Harris at 943-7326. Thank you.

Submitted by Victoria Eastman
     Homes are needed for two abandoned cats. They do not have to be adopted together. Financial assistance for spaying is available through the P.E.T.S. program.
     A longhaired, gray, tiger, coon cat doesn’t like dogs but she has not had a home since this past summer. This kitty does need spaying.
     Another female cat, approximately five years old has been abandoned and unfed for three weeks. She is part Siamese with big blue eyes. It is unknown whether she has been spayed.
     If you would like to help these kitties or learn more about the P.E.T.S. program, please call Julie Gallagher at 943-5083.
     Each of the kitties mentioned in past issues have found homes in the Bangor area. We are so grateful that none had to be euthanized.
     Don’t forget to get your catnip toys made to support the P.E.T.S. program from the Milo Flower Shop, Sebec Gardens, and Mr. Paperback.

Submitted by Victoria Eastman
     The Piscataquis Writers will meet at the North Meets South Restaurant in Dover-Foxcroft on Tuesday, January 7, from 6-8 pm. Anyone interested in writing or listening to poetry, stories, essays or more are welcome to attend.
Page 7

Click Image for Information
Page 8

Print Issues: Copyright © 2001 - 2012 Three Rivers Kiwanis Club
Website: Copyright © 2002 - 2012 Three Rivers Community Alliance